Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

GYM TIME

Search this Thread

Old 30-09-2011, 10:18 PM
MO' BENT RIMS
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GYM TIME

RIGHT. decided i have had enough of cars i love my rs turbo to bits but the thing is i never have time BECAUSE of it.the car just too much of my time.. im either
working
cleaning the car
blasting the car around
getting things done or getting things to make it better
filling it up
looking for girls

ok now before i got my car i went gym alot,, spent time with mates n family etc.. so as the bad weather is creeping in now i will park the car up and use it strictly on sundays for a few hours and then park it up again that will give me 2 hours spare every day [ i work 9 till 8 and then do other things and get home .. so ill sleep early about 11.30pm to get up for work] want to spend say a hour everyday in the gym.. last time i went was about 1 and a half years ago and i got from skinny to a nice toned up body . im still toned up but im going to train this time to get bigger ....
ok so heres what i plan

monday,wednesday and friday train at gym
tuesday and thursday [ steam room and relax]
i have all the protein shakes and know the routines and work outs
the question is HOW did you get bigger? somebody must have went through this at some stage on here? how did you be motivated? what kept you being patient? how long was it till you saw results???? i trained hard but i gained a bit not too much so whats the secret/
Old 01-10-2011, 06:53 AM
Kieron
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your not prepared to be at this for a long time with minimal gains all the while that you barely notice then look into something else.

How do you get bigger? Train HARD, eat LOTS and rest. Its as basic as that. How long it takes all depends on how well nailed you get those things consistently. If there was a secret it would have been sold and there would be lots of people walking around stage ready. Those that are in great shape have done it over the course of time.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:02 AM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Kieron
If your not prepared to be at this for a long time with minimal gains all the while that you barely notice then look into something else.

How do you get bigger? Train HARD, eat LOTS and rest. Its as basic as that. How long it takes all depends on how well nailed you get those things consistently. If there was a secret it would have been sold and there would be lots of people walking around stage ready. Those that are in great shape have done it over the course of time.

Spot on there.

Dedication is quite high up on the list too, if you find yourself thinking "I'll just go tomorrow instead" then don't bother. You'll get no where fast with that attitude.

A high intake of protein and carbs is essential, and something I've just invested in is multi-vitamins, zinc tablets and fish oils, they cost peanuts and will generally aid in a healthier life.

I've been gyming for a couple of years but I wasn't properly into it until recently, I figured that seen as we haven't had much of a summer, I'm just going to start the winter bulk now.
I saw gains within a month or so, but then you tend to go through spots where you don't notice any increase in size/shape, just keep at it, change your routine constantly.

Last edited by CrOwSoN15; 01-10-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:59 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Sorry if im taking over thread buy asking this Question.

Ive got it in my mind that when i go to the gym depending on what body parts am doing ive got it in my mind that the next day i should be aching.Ive got to the point now where i dont ache the day after.

I can be doing my biceps for example and i get them to start burning in the gym then the next day i still dont ache.Do you rhink i should change my routine,if so what do i do diffenrently.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

People say you have to eat all the time.What do you all eat through the day then.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:08 AM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Are you doing the same routine over and over?
Old 01-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

I was im trying to chop n change it now. I do different exercises and i still dont ache.
I can never get my chest to ache or my biceps.

Trending Topics

Old 02-10-2011, 10:21 PM
MO' BENT RIMS
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glenn.
I was im trying to chop n change it now. I do different exercises and i still dont ache.
DO a different routine for 4 weeks or so .. streses your muscles in every way possible for it to grow back bigger drink protein shakes mate. i have the best of the best now
Old 03-10-2011, 04:31 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Ive been taking protien shakes for ages now. I eat a lot of foods with protien in through the day too.

I will have to sort out a different routine.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:31 AM
Kieron

Change this, change that, drink the best blah blah blah.

Your not pushing yourself hard enough Glenn, simple as that. My routine has been of a similar structure for years and I can still get doms. Your body appears to be used to the routine you have so go heavier, or add in a dropset. Get a spotter and push beyond what you can do alone and keep pushing!
Old 03-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

I have been going to the gym with my mate for the past 3 months now he always spots me.

So with drop sets how many reps do you do.

Also how many exercises should i do for different parts of the body.Is 4 enough.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Kieron

I have been going to the gym with my mate for the past 3 months now he always spots me.

So with drop sets how many reps do you do.

Also how many exercises should i do for different parts of the body.Is 4 enough.
Make sure your spotter isn't doing the work for you. Just a light spot to take the edge of things.

Two drop sets wopuld be ample, three a killer.

4 different exercises per bodypart is plenty. Some would argue too much if your doing it intensely but I aim for 4.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:09 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

So do you do 4 drop sets for each body part then.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:35 AM
Kieron

So do you do 4 drop sets for each body part then.
Hell no!

4 different exercises per bodypart. When you are not progressing either up the intensity by throwing in a couple (2) dropsets or slow negatives, more weight etc etc.

You can also change your routine as has been said but from the little I can gather on a forum your not pushing yourself within your current one.

Muscles adapt, you have to keep pushing them so that they are forever unable to get to a comfort level and therefore need to grow to keep up with what you are asking them to do. Many ways to skin a cat.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:38 AM
Kieron

Actually I have a contact that owns a gym in Carlisle. I don't know how far away from you that is but it I can guarantee it would be worth your while to pop over and have a few sessions with him. Very big chap, knows his stuff and is a judge for BB comps. You pay for a session he will make you wimper and set you straight where you are going wrong. Would completely transform your outlook and attitude towards training including tweeking where you are going wrong.

I am even considering popping there for a few sessions myself and I live in Suffolk!
Old 04-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Yeh its a few hours drive from me.I know my mate would properbly interested too cause he wants to get bigger too.

It would have to be a saturday afternoon or a sunday for me n him.

I might try a few drop sets tonight and see if i can get myself to ache.

I was watching some videos by a user called scooby1961.I also looked on his web site which is scoobyworkshop.com

he is a big bloke and he seems to know what he is doing.Some of his videos on youtube are neary 1 hour long.The vids look like he trains hard.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:04 AM
Kieron

Saturdays would be no problems and I could find out about Sundays as I think that would be fine too. Just let me know if you want to go and I will put you in touch.

If you don't tire after a few dropsets then you are doing it wrong.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Mark B

What's a drop set?
Old 04-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Saturdays would be no problems and I could find out about Sundays as I think that would be fine too. Just let me know if you want to go and I will put you in touch.

If you don't tire after a few dropsets then you are doing it wrong.
Thanks bud i will have a word with my mate.So instead of doing 4 exercises for my chest and say 4 for my triceps on one day do i just do 4 drop sets for my chest and tris.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Originally Posted by Mark B
What's a drop set?
Google it matey or type it into youtube.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:50 PM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Your body is always learning and like to make things as easy as possible for itself. Your muscles will learn your exercises and work out the easiest/most efficient way to perform the exercise. Need to mix it right up to shock the body. I found this the last two days. I've been doing lots of sprint training the last few weeks to build my speed so 1.5miles in 8 minutes, 2 miles in 12mins and 3 in 20mins as targets all on flat ground. Yesterday and today we did 5 mile runs through the wood tracks and hills and my quads and hamstrings are aching tonight. When I was doing the woods and hills 3-4 times a week my top legs NEVER hurt.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:16 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

You must be well fit to run 5 miles.

I do a few minutes on a tread mill and i just seem to get tired easy.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:29 AM
Kieron

Thanks bud i will have a word with my mate.So instead of doing 4 exercises for my chest and say 4 for my triceps on one day do i just do 4 drop sets for my chest and tris.
No. 4 different exercises per bodypart, each with 3 working sets. Dropset a working set.

i.e for chest, say on bench press:

Do your warm ups/buildup sets.
3 working sets @ 80-90 max weight (ie 6-8 rep range, maybe lower if you fancy a heavy session) but dropset the last two sets. So do one set as normal. The for the second do 6-8 reps, rack it, strip some weight off and go again straight away, try for as many as you can do then rack and repeat. Drop 3 times and after one of those done right come back and tell me if your idea of dropsetting every exercise 4 times was a good one. Then do it again and move on to the next exercise. Twice will be plenty for you.

Do your incline normally along wth cables/flies/decline whatever other three exercises you do. See how much harder they feel at your usual weights after a couple of dropsets on your first exercise.

Then repeat for tri's.

Try it with just one exercise to start with. Maybe your heavy one. Bench for chest and closegrip/skulls/dips for tri's. Hard to advise without knowing what your routine is like.

HTH's
Old 05-10-2011, 08:22 AM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

You must be well fit to run 5 miles.

I do a few minutes on a tread mill and i just seem to get tired easy.
I'm fit at the moment becuase I have to be, buts it's not distance that matters, it's the time you cover the distance in in fact, longer runs are easier. I've ran slow 13 mile half marathons after work on a Tuesday before now just to put mileage on my legs, but feel much, much tireder running say the 5 mile wood tracks like last night or the 2 mile in under 12 minutes. People think that's easy when you tell them, trust me, it's not
Old 07-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Keroin 80/90 weight.max.I struggle to do 60kg on my own. That sounds like it will be hard.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Originally Posted by muz
I'm fit at the moment becuase I have to be, buts it's not distance that matters, it's the time you cover the distance in in fact, longer runs are easier. I've ran slow 13 mile half marathons after work on a Tuesday before now just to put mileage on my legs, but feel much, much tireder running say the 5 mile wood tracks like last night or the 2 mile in under 12 minutes. People think that's easy when you tell them, trust me, it's not
Thats good going matey.I would like to be as fit as you.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:04 PM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

Thats good going matey.I would like to be as fit as you.
Its a nice feeling being fit, you notice it day to day and you can still have goals like getting run times down, sprinting faster etc like with your weight training, but it rather be the size and shape I was this time last year if I had the choice.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:14 PM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

Plus, getting fit's easy, you just have to be committed like with your weights. The hardest part is just making it your routine. As soon as you start getting fitter, like when you start lifting heavier weights, and can set goals you start to enjoy besting yourself and feeling drained. Like being sore after weights.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Kieron

Keroin 80/90 weight.max.I struggle to do 60kg on my own. That sounds like it will be hard.
80/90% of your max weight. Not 80/90kgs.....
Old 08-10-2011, 05:40 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

80/90% of your max weight. Not 80/90kgs.....

Right i get you now lol.Last time i weighed myself i was 92kg but ive lost a bit more weight since then.

I will try this next time im at the gym.I used to go to the gym 4/5 times a week.Im lucky if i get there twice a week now with me being at work all the time.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:42 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Originally Posted by muz
Plus, getting fit's easy, you just have to be committed like with your weights. The hardest part is just making it your routine. As soon as you start getting fitter, like when you start lifting heavier weights, and can set goals you start to enjoy besting yourself and feeling drained. Like being sore after weights.
I defo know what you mean by feeling fitter.I used to weigh 17 and a half stone.Im down to 14 now.I would just like more time for the gym.
Old 14-10-2011, 02:38 PM
krypton
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I think what was ment is 80-90% of the most weight that u can lift for that type of lift. So if you say you can do 60kg you would be looking at between about 45- 55kg
Old 18-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

I can only do a few reps of 60kg but i wont do it if my mate is there.

Im going back to the gym tonight the first time in about 3 weeka.Ive lost the shape in my arms and im starting to feel unfit again.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:03 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

I did i few drop sets last week for my chest and the next few days i wad aching like hell.

I did 2 drop sets for my chest again and im gonna wait to see if i ache again.I actually enjoy doing them.

My mate who i train with is stronger than me and he also did the drop sets.We went on to use dumb bells and he couldnt lift 30kg which he can normaly do.I was wetting myself laughing at him.