General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Section 59 warning?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 01:56 AM
carlfiesta999
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Section 59 warning?

Hello all, now this happened earlier on tonight around 5 - 6pm, but Im still miffed at it.

Basically i don't want this to turn into an argument because, i was visiting relatives in an area i used to live but moved away from in 6 months to start a new job.

I left said relatives and was minding my own business driving around near the town centre (i drive a mark 2 mondeo bog standard,no noisy exhaust, music or anything just an everyday car, and im 25 years of age) when a marked police estate vehicle followed me, around the town, back through, down one of the main routes out of town, i then pulled into a industrial estate off the main route as i honestly for some reason thought he was going to pull me, why i don't know, its just after following me for a good 2 - 3 minutes i thought something was up, but no, he didn't pull me over, and next thing he dissapeared, i did the loop around the industrial estate and pulled back out onto the main drag, when the same cop car appeared behind again, getting some what miffed by this, i then pulled over into the nearest layby ( i thought they were only allowed to follow you for set periods of time? ) to which they pulled up along side me and said i had a brake light out,i checked and apologised for this and he said to just get it sorted and drove off ( there was 2 cops in the car )

As im going through my toolkit trying to find a spare bulb a couple of friends pulled up whom i know and i hadnt seen for while, we spoke for 5 - 10 minutes and decided to go sit up in the town hall car park out of the way for a chat, so we went down to the bottom roundabout of this road, turned back on ourselves and headed back towards town, bear in mind this was literally 20 - 30 minutes after the first incident with plod ended, we approached the town, and there was another car sat in the junction near town, different car, with just one cop in it, he immediatly pulled out behind my mate (i was in front)and as we approached town, where it splits into two lanes, the cop come raring up behind my mate, stuck the blues and sirens on, my mate pulled over, then he homed in on me, i stopped, he told me to get in his car, to which he told me ' i drive like a prick ' , to which i replied ' im not one for arguing but could you please clarify what i have done wrong ' ? he was messing around with his radio and listening to something and nt really listening to me, then he said you were weaving all over the road and it appeard to me you didnt have your belt on, if there wasnt a incident of a stolen car reported 5 minutes ago that i have to go and help look for, you would be getting a section 59 warning...then he let me go.

Finally got to the car park where we intended to sit, we had been there approximately 10 minutes and these 2 cops on foot came over ' alright lads what you upto? ' so we explained and to which they replied, well we have you two on CCTV in and around the town driving like idiots, you are being watched, anymore of it and you will both loose your cars, to which i replied i can't see what i have done wrong yes i had a brake light out which i tried my best to repair, i have parked up now to speak to my 2 friends and the next time i use the car will be to go home and they just said to behave and walked off?

All this went on from say 16:45pm till around 6pm.

In my 9 years of driving i have never experienced such a thing from police, how do these section 59's work then? How long do they last for? In a way it has kind of knocked my confidence in going to visit again, i have been told to make a complaint, but because of my brake light i see myself as being at fault, but i didnt need to be followed for a good 3 - 4 miles to be told this (and god knows how much longer he would have followed me for if i hadnt have pulled over myself) and then repeatedly hassled for the next hour? I live out in the sticks and i need my car for work i wouldnt be such as stupid to risk loosing my car, im 25 years of age driving a bog standard old Ford mondeo which is in good legal condition and is all taxed/mot'd/insured, if i was some 18 year old chav who had just passed his test raring around town with a straight through exhaust and music blasting i could see the point.

Sorry this is long winded but it has really been bugging me since i got home.Thanks
Old 03-01-2011, 02:51 AM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wouldn't let it bother you mate, I reckon it's just a case of wrong place, wrong time on these 3 occasions......some cop's are just bell-ends and it seem's you met them all in that division tonight
Old 03-01-2011, 03:01 AM
Chopshop85
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Section 59 is "driving in an anti social matter" i.e driving dangerously, loud music, loud exhaust, causing distress to padestrians blah blah. Unfortunately as there is no real specifics so police seem to hand them out to pretty much anyone they stop.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:12 AM
carlfiesta999
BANNED
BANNED

How long do they last for? I just can't remember or not if i had one in my younger days, it was just unbelieable, all that grief in around 1 hour... the last thing i wanted was to have my car taken off me, 35 miles from home, i don't even want to go over there again if im honest, i didnt know about the brake light bulb, the passenger side one blew before Christmas which i repaired, so im not sure when the drivers side one went.I just remember being at a Ford gathering down a retail park last summer and the police handed out these section 59s to everyone because someone complained about the noise, the thing was some got it in writing others they just said ' we have put your car and yourself on the system if your seen doing anything which.. blah blah blah again then you will loose your car and it doesnt just apply to that car it is any car you are in or driving ' I didnt get it on paper, so im just wondering if i have already had one as thats whats bugging me because if you get two then thats when you loose your car isnt it? Ive really got my life back on track the past 6 months moved away from my troubles, ex girlfriend, got back into work and got myself another flat after being made redundant and homeless and i do suffer really bad with anxiety and paranoia so as you can imagine this has miffed me a little thanks
Old 03-01-2011, 05:23 AM
Rsmat
300+

Received 585 Likes on 517 Posts

Dont worry about it they hand them out like smarties.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:30 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you get 2 though and they take your car !
Old 03-01-2011, 07:08 AM
stuboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

ask cctv evidence.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:26 AM
BLACKCOS
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

put a complaint in for harrassment in you got there badge numbers
Old 03-01-2011, 07:48 AM
carlfiesta999
BANNED
BANNED

No i didnt i wish i did now i just thought at the time if i complained then theyd just say having the light out was drawing attention to myself, which yes it was, but now ive thought about it it still doesnt warrant an hour of continuous harrssment from 5 cops in total cheers
Old 03-01-2011, 08:15 AM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

From reading your second post, it sounds like they are watching you like a hawk based on a previous issue of the section 59 at the Ford gathering? First post read almost like harassment but second post explains why to me. Sounds like they were looking for you to stuff up or trying to pin something on you.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:53 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Perfect example of what now appears to be typical behaviour for the majority of police officers.
Years ago policemen were people you could respect, now though those are in the minority and most of them are just utter cunts who treat the entire public like scum regardless of if they have done anything wrong or not.

I never respect anyone who doesnt respect others, which rules out the vast majority of the police force IME

There ARE still some good ones, but the wanker majority are giving the good minority a bad name in general IMHO
Old 03-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by carlfiesta999
No i didnt i wish i did now i just thought at the time if i complained then theyd just say having the light out was drawing attention to myself, which yes it was, but now ive thought about it it still doesnt warrant an hour of continuous harrssment from 5 cops in total cheers
The police on one hand spend their time harrassing motorists like this, and on the other hand claim they dont have the resources to deal with it when cars get nicked or houses burgled etc
Old 03-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Eigdoog
ą§~Quadzackular~§ą

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Just looks like it wasn't your day.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:54 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Wouldn't worry about it.they've got to show evidence to prove that you were driving like a cock otherwise you can sue them to get all your expenses back etc.

Their just trying it on for the very reasons you said,to intimidate you to stop you driving,could be any number of reasons.

True what chip says about cops,you get good and bad but I feel the majority have lost their commonsense in this day and age and often just come across as totally unreasonable IMO.

Its not just a new phenomenon,I got pulled in my first car,fiat UNO 1.1 when I was 17 and to my horror,I found out the Mot ran out the day before!!

Devastated,I went and shoved a brand new ticket on it and went straight down the copshop to meet the biggest pig I've ever met in my life.he told me my insurance was invalid because it covered me on any car (????).then apparently because I hadn't supplied him with a logbook(not on producer) he was going to do me for failing to produce as well!!!of course,the Mot then reared it's ugly head and he started swearing at me then,"what the fucks this?now you've got 8 points on your licence" etc etc.

I was shitting myself for weeks,worried about losing my licence etc so I went back in to see a different copper who was so nice,really helpful.he told me I would be charged with no Mot as it was out when I was stopped but to tell the court that I'd taken it as soon as I found out and got it sorted,there were no points and only a small fine!!!

Cost me Ł20 fine Ł20 costs,about the same price as the Mot!!!!
Old 03-01-2011, 11:04 AM
CoupeUK
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I got a section59 a few weeks ago for skidding about in a car park in the snow.

Police got me hook line and sinker, I see a car approaching and for some reason carried on without realizing it was a copper, he see me doing what I was and I just admitted it rather than being a prick and disputing it.

The Sec59 stands for me and my vehicle, if i'm caught again driving in an anti social manner in another car or someone else is driving my car like an idiot they'll take either car away.

Thats what he told me anyways, 1st ones like a caution and a repeated offense seizes the car.

Lasts a year on record IIRC.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Silver'Scort
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

A warning lasts for 12months, another issued in the time will result in the car being seized, round us the release fee i think is Ł120, or Ł120 a day, not 100% certain. As said above /\ /\ it covers both you and the car.

I have it from the horses mouth that there is a big push round here to hand out as many as possible, to anyone and everyone deemed to be a nuisance driver.
Wouldn't put it past our lot (one in particular, who most people round here have had the dis-pleasure of dealing with) to give you a warning just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, sounds very much the same where you are.

Bad luck indeed mate, but to be fair it does seem like he was just out to get you, after he had seen you with a brake bulb out, genuine mistake, you were then being closly watched in the hope they could pin something else on you. Sounds very unfair and un-necessary the way he went about it though.

Last edited by Silver'Scort; 03-01-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Chip

I had a copper ask me to see the V5 when I had a producer as well, but V5 wasnt ticked on the producer as something I needed to produce and also as far as I am aware its not a legal requirement to carry with you anyway. He started saying that I had to show it to him and he would do me for failure to produce if I didnt do so.

I said that I happened to have it with me (brought down the polypocket for that car from my folder so it had that in it with the MOT and insurance etc) but that I was NOT prepared to show it to him and please could I speak to his superior please.

His boss apologised to me, and told him that I didnt need to show it at all.

I wonder how many other people though this little twat had wasted time off making them drive home to go and get their V5 etc when they didnt even have to show it!
Old 03-01-2011, 11:12 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by CoupeUK

Police got me hook line and sinker, I see a car approaching and for some reason carried on without realizing it was a copper, he see me doing what I was and I just admitted it rather than being a prick and disputing it.

The Sec59 stands for me and my vehicle, if i'm caught again driving in an anti social manner in another car or someone else is driving my car like an idiot they'll take either car away.

Thats what he told me anyways, 1st ones like a caution and a repeated offense seizes the car.

Good bit of policing IMHO, he could potentially have tried to do you for driving without due care and attention if he was feeling like a cunt that day but seeing as you werent putting anyone else at risk and arguably were just gaining a bit of useful car control I think its a good choice to just give you a secton 59 as a warning to show you that where you were doing it wasnt appropriate etc

Nice to see the occasional bit of wheat among all the chaff!
Old 03-01-2011, 11:21 AM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Received 347 Likes on 320 Posts

Great to see the cops have their priorities sorted and they are making comunities safer for us all by catching real criminals.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

cops really dont like it when your right and they are wrong ive found. same as with you chip, all too often they tick only one item or leave other stuff off the producer form so there is fuck all they can do at the cop shop when you be pedantic and just show them the bits theyve asked for.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

I got one in 2008, and although I was a bit annoyed at first, when I'd had chance to calm down, I considered myself to be quite lucky, because I was in the wrong but fortunately the copper was on his own and had no speed measuring equipment in the car.
As said above, they last for a year and it applies to both the car and the driver.
As far as i know, if you get 2 in the space of a year, they can sieze and possibly crush the car.

Last edited by Karl 3dr; 03-01-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:39 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

My friend was pulled over driving my car, and I had him on a temporary cover, were as you phone up and say 'I'll insure Joe Bloggs from now until 6' tomorrow'. Which is how my policy works, and they send you out a temporary cover note. The Policemen wanted to see his cover note, or he was taking the car off us and we had a long walk home. He didn't like it when I more or less pointed to my house, proving we never had a long walk home, and when I said that having the cover note wasn't possible, as I'd only just insured him. He made out that he shouldn't drive until it arrives, but like I said, by this time, his insurance cover will have ran out and the whole thing would be useless.

The other copper came over and tried to agree with his mate, but I asked them what would be the point in insuring him for today, if he can't drive until tomorrow, when the cover note arrives, insuring him for yesterday? They said 'If we was traffic coppers, we'd take the car off you, but we don't follow everything by the book'. Just aswel really, as the book is flawed.

Benni.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:39 AM
oibren85
If in Doubt Flat Out...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

we had the same sort of thing when we were down at southend many years ago. Just parked up waiting for friends when shit loads of cars turned up, we were parked a good 500 yards away from the main lot on our own. Police pull up and start issuing out sec 59 and get to us, start swearing telling us we are on CCTV driving round the seafront acting like wankers and they'd do us if we didnt leave straight away. I asked for badge number and name of both officers and told them that if they were to issue me with one my lawyer would be in touch and would request all evidence they had. One officer said they'd arrest me there and then, but they knew and i knew they had nothing so we just sat there until the friends turned up and left which they followed us out of town. Stupid really but like said majority of them now are cunts. Luckily i live out in the sticks and if i see an officer its once in a blue moon.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Marvin_hagler_
Marvelous Marv

there seems to be a trend when replying to these posts about the police where people then describe a incident that happened to themselves,heres mine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkIz3-8wRgo
Old 03-01-2011, 12:22 PM
herbcosworth
herbcosworth

never police when you need the wankers always there when you dont!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2011, 12:35 PM
SiZT
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No point even worrying about S59's. It's an officers way of being Judge and Jury, you can't appeal them and they can't be revoked. They are a good idea though imo.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Rax
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had one a few years ago.Ł30 fine and the ticket lasted 12months.It just meant I couldnt go back on a certain quarry on my crf for 12months.Good policing there imo,there was about 7 of us all wearing proper gear and helmets and we had vans as transport not like some of them two up in "trainers n trakkies" they could of been real twats and reported us for insurance/licence offences .
On another note though,mate mate had one for starting his bike up in his front yard,he wasnt impressed and it was handed out by a pcso
Old 03-01-2011, 03:44 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Its not worth worrying about now mate. But i have to say theres 2 sides to every story, and im not saying your at fault but heres my take on it.

The first copper saw a brake light out whilst behind you. At a guess you were conscious of the fact they were following you making you a bit nervous, pull into an industrial estate, which in turn makes the coppers a bit suspicious of whats going on. Meanwhile your details are going through the system and you come up as clean, but they warn you of the brake light bulb. Job done, good coppers.

2nd copper might have been a nob, but i have to ask why he said you were driving like a prick? Surely there was some reason for him to say that?

The last pair of coppers, just doing their job? They see a group of cars congregating in a car park? They approach you to see whats happening. Yes they would have been better to not mention the section 59, but its a good tool for the police to target trouble makers and anti social behavouir, and as you were doing what many of them do, you were unfortunatly seen as 'potentials' for that catagory. So they were just doing their job.

No harm done. Nothing to worry about.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:11 PM
fiend

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

I got one over a year ago.

I was in a lorry park when I did it. Accelerated hard in first gear, hit the limiter and went into second gear then saw the blue lights in the rear view mirror.

I just agreed with the officer as he could of given me points or taken me to court. (I was probably speeding and driving without due care and attention).

The police car was just pulling in as I was on my way out, he had his windows down so probably heard my car. I assume that's why he didn't charge me with more, as he had no real evidence.

I always remember to check my mirrors now.

Last edited by fiend; 03-01-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by CoupeUK

Originally Posted by Chip
Good bit of policing IMHO, he could potentially have tried to do you for driving without due care and attention if he was feeling like a cunt that day but seeing as you werent putting anyone else at risk and arguably were just gaining a bit of useful car control I think its a good choice to just give you a secton 59 as a warning to show you that where you were doing it wasnt appropriate etc

Still ott for a bit of harmless fun, unless coupeUK hit a few old people and children whilst doing it, as thats what normally occurs in the police officers minds

And im sure it is the law that if it snows, you must test every empty car park for lack of traction
Old 03-01-2011, 06:16 PM
MJ_RST
PassionFord Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Perfect example of what now appears to be typical behaviour for the majority of police officers.
Years ago policemen were people you could respect, now though those are in the minority and most of them are just utter cunts who treat the entire public like scum regardless of if they have done anything wrong or not.

I never respect anyone who doesnt respect others, which rules out the vast majority of the police force IME

There ARE still some good ones, but the wanker majority are giving the good minority a bad name in general IMHO
Agree! Spot on there mate!

Id make a complaint against them. Even though you never got their numbers, they will have filed a stop report on yourself, so go in and ask which police officers stopped you and complain to the police commision.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:28 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

I had a similar thing a little while ago, I was going along coming up to a roundabout when a police car passes me in the opposite direction, I think nothing of it and carried on, next thing I know this police car is behind me, I'm thinking he was on a shout and was going to go past me but no so I pull over. Now I probably know why, due to the type of car I was driving and look young to be driving it, if he told me the genuine reason I would have no problem with that!

Instead he gets out and says the reason I have stopped you is because it looked as if you wasn't wearing a seat belt, I reply to him well you saw wrong because I am! (I still had the belt on as I stayed sitting in the car)

He asks me to get out the car and stand with him on the pavement and asks me the usual questions, he then tells me to go back to my car and he is going to check details out which he does and after a minute or so tells me I am free to go, no apology or anything to add insult to injury!

So to answer your question if you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about, I know personally though I wouldn't have sat there and took a load of rubbish what the cops were saying, at the end of the day if what your saying is correct they do not have this "Supposed CCTV evidence"!

As I say in my case the police clearly didn't have nothing better to do as they actually turned round and came to get me with blue and twos, with me about a mile down the road!

There are a lot of sound coppers out there, but some do try and pick on people I suspect it's because there lying low for a job and need to be seen as if they are doing something!

A tip if you do get stopped is to ask for a "Stop Slip"!

Martin
Old 03-01-2011, 07:32 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

If they take your car under section 59 how long can or do they keep it for?
Old 03-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Rax
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think for some bizarre reason after the second time they can keep it and crush it can they not ?
First time if it's been impounded you just have to pay the release/tow/storage charge ?.I may be getting confused with the no insurance offence now though
Old 03-01-2011, 10:46 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by MJ_RST
Agree! Spot on there mate!

Id make a complaint against them. Even though you never got their numbers, they will have filed a stop report on yourself, so go in and ask which police officers stopped you and complain to the police commision.
But complain about what? I assume you mean harrassment? It's not actually harrassment as it was by 3 different officers on 3 different occassions. All doing their job, although the second incident seems a bit of a grey one. I can't see why any copper, good or bad, would say 'your driving like a prick' if your going along on your way as normal.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:48 AM
carlfiesta999
BANNED
BANNED

Thanks for all the replies, that is the good question though, if they do impound your car how long do they keep it for before u can have it back?

It just annoyed me that a lad of my age, in a decent respectable family hatchback being of no nuisance gets so much grief as i did.

What i did forget that before all this kicked off,( ive been very poorly dont mean to confuse this) i drove through town once and there was a marked T5 traffic unit in front of me at the roundabout, he then some 2 minutes down the road took a right into the police station,it was then at the bottom of this said road that waiting in a layby was the next two cops, that followed me for the remainder of this road, onto the dual carriageway through the industrial estate then back out onto the main road again, these were there 2 ' decent ' cops that just warned me i had a light out, it was after i tried to repair the light and met with another 2 friends in one car that going back up near the police station, another marked estate unit pulled out of the same junction where the two previous coppers who had warned me about the brake light were sitting, this was the lone cop who was very rude to me and said i was driving like a prick, no belt on and weaving about and threatened with me a section 59 who later pulled me in the town centre before the 2 cops on foot came over.

Im just a bit self concious now, i also live out in the sticks and its rarely i see a copper either, then to go back to my roots to see relations for a few hours and to get so much grief i just dont feel comfortable going over there anytime soon, i need my car to get to work, if i loose my car, then ill end up loosing my job because aswell as living out in the sticks i work out in the sticks too i tried to call them today to see if i did or didnt have a current section 59, it would have been around june/july if i did get one.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:47 AM
CoupeUK

Damn right.

My own stupid fault to be honest, I had been doing the same thing in the same carpark the night before and was forever stopping when I see cars approaching up the entrance road....not one was a poilce car. The time I see the car approach it had to be a police car.

I was nice and polite with him, passed his 'attitude test' said my please and thank yous and left.

Took it on the chin, its always a risk doing such silly things so i'm not going to get the arse about it, its a bit of experience for me and the policeman is only human and doing what he's paid to do.