General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Depression

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 11:23 AM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mechanic28
Has anyone on here suffered with it?or maybe knows someone that has had it?what were the symptons,also how did they cope/recover from it?
yes, since about the age of 12..

it never goes away, it hides in the shadows....you can be ultra happy, but one little thing that to most people wouldn't even bat an eyelid it can seem like one of the worst things in the world to someone with depression!
Old 10-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio zo
I actually agree here, this is usually how I see things, I' 'lucky' that when I go through phases as you describe above I can shake myself out of it after a few days and wouldn't amount it to being depressed, but I've never felt bad enough to even consider talking to a Doctor about it.

Although Johnnyb's 'treatment' might be a bit unconventional as it is not a legally prescribed drug, I wouldn't say I'd totally trust prescribed drugs either, I can't remember names, but hasn't there been legally prescribed drugs taken off of the market for allegedly causing suicides etc? Legal doesn't always mean safer though of course not that I am condoning self prescribed illegals any drug that has the ability to alter the way the brain functions is a bit scary, guess its a case of finding what is right for you personally - I do think GP's are too ready just to write a prescription IMO.

When I feel a bit unmotivated and tired I find exercise helps

Legal just means that the manufacturers have pumped it through some tests and had some bits of paper stamped really, it means very little.

I dont know of a single mental health drug that doesnt have serious side effects or after effects or both, and in fact MDMA has less than a lot of legal drugs do!
Old 10-03-2010, 11:32 AM
cabrio zo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Location: Sudbury Suffolk, Drives: Octavia VRS & XR2i 1800 Zetec track car

Exactly Chip. I like your previous post about 'how we think it works'

The human brain is so complex
Old 10-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Chip

Here is an example of what I mean about side effects.

These are the known side effects of Zoleptil (a drug used for treating schizpophrenics)

NO ONE who takes these drugs gets away without any side effects, but some people pick up more of them than others:

Very common (affect more than 1 in 10 people)

* Low blood pressure (hypotension).
* Increased heart rate (tachycardia).
* Abnormal movements of the hands, legs, face, neck and tongue, eg tremor, twitching, rigidity (extrapyramidal effects).
* Anxiety, restlessness and agitation (akathisia).
* Increased salivation or dry mouth.
* Dizziness.
* Sleepiness.
* Difficulty sleeping (insomnia).
* Constipation, indigestion.
* Depression.
* Headache.
* Feeling weak.
* Decrease in the number of white blood cells in the blood (leucopenia).
* Weight gain.
* Nasal inflammation (rhinitis) causing a runny or blocked nose.
* Sweating.
* Blurred vision.

Occasional (affect between 1 in 10 and 1 in 100 people)

* A drop in blood pressure that occurs when moving from a lying down or sitting position to sitting or standing, which results in dizziness and lightheadedness (postural hypotension - see warning section above).
* Increased blood pressure (hypertension).
* Irregular heartbeats (arrhythmias).
* Chest pain.
* Increased blood prolactin (milk producing hormone) level (hyperprolactinaemia). Sometimes this can lead to symptoms such as breast enlargement, production of milk and stopping of menstrual periods.
* Flu-like symptoms.
* Change in appetite.
* Gut disturbances such as nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhoea.
* Increased or decreased blood sugar levels.
* Raised levels of fats such as cholesterol in the blood.
* Fluid retention causing swelling (oedema).
* Thirst.
* Aching muscles or joints.
* Confusion.
* Nervousness or hostility.
* Speech problems.
* Convulsions.
* Sexual problems such as decreased sex drive or erectile dysfunction.
* Cough.
* Shortness of breath.
* Skin reactions such as acne, dry skin or rash.

Rare (affect between 1 in 100 and 1 in 100,000 people)

* Slowed heart rate (bradycardia).
* Awareness of your heartbeat (palpitations).
* Nosebleeds.
* Memory loss.
* Hair loss.
* Increased sensitivity of the skin to sunlight.
* High temperature combined with falling levels of consciousness, paleness, sweating and a fast heart beat (neuroleptic malignant syndrome). Requires stopping the medicine and immediate medical treatment - see warning section above.

And that is NOT an exhaustive list, there are many more side effects that arent so well known yet im sure, as thats still a relatively new drug, the scarey thing is that this is one of the newer breed of drugs that are considered to be less bad for side effects than a lot of previous medication!

Im fucking glad ive never been on any form of mental health drug, and I really hope I never am, they scare the shit out of me!

Last edited by Chip; 10-03-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:40 AM
RickDraper
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Go and see you GP as others have said. I went through some big changes in my life 36 months ago and when things did not return to how they were 12 months later I began suffering from depression. I hated everything about my life, i could not go to work, i myself changed and stopped doing things etc etc. Went to see the GP and was given some medication but i decided i myself could battle my way through it, had meetings with my manager at work and talked to him about the situation, they offered me reduced hours for the first few months and at the start of returning to work i could fly with people who were my friends. Now everything is fine, that period of my life has passed.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Mrs T
Super Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
Have you been able to rationalise why you hate yourself and hence why the negative thoughts are untrue???

Not when i'm that down I can't see past it but when i'm back on top I know i'm don't need to change anything for anybody, and I will start a row for the sake of it even if that person hasnt done anything wrong.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:48 PM
B16ROB
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

dougie boy if you are refering to yourself mate you av got us all round ya if you need us bud you know that.
you defo need to get out a little more, and im thinking a boys night out in the next couple of weeks will do you good fella.
also think we need to get you desent woman to get you on the straight and narrow son

chin up mate only at the end of the blower if you need us
Old 10-03-2010, 12:52 PM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by B16ROB
dougie boy if you are refering to yourself mate you av got us all round ya if you need us bud you know that.
you defo need to get out a little more, and im thinking a boys night out in the next couple of weeks will do you good fella.
also think we need to get you desent woman to get you on the straight and narrow son

chin up mate only at the end of the blower if you need us
That is very true rob, all of us are here for ya doug no matter what!

ya know you got all us mugs here, anytime!

as rob said...at the end of the blower or msn or whatever ok!!! remember that!
Old 10-03-2010, 12:54 PM
DanCossie
Post Whore

http://www.bipolar-expedition.co.uk/

Have a look at my Dads Website mate
Old 10-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by **T**
Not when i'm that down I can't see past it but when i'm back on top I know i'm don't need to change anything for anybody, and I will start a row for the sake of it even if that person hasnt done anything wrong.
I thought that was normal for women
watch out guys she is a moderator
Old 10-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

doug you just need to get laid mate
Old 10-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Tony Mannock
I thought that was normal for women
watch out guys she is a moderator
quiet one's are always the worse
Old 10-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

I can confirm this as I was once married to a very quiet one and when they eventually break take cover
Old 10-03-2010, 03:54 PM
TOMMY_RS
SHITE!

i wouldn't say i am depressed, although i would say my mum is, knowing your dad is dieing of liver failure, cancer and a few other things does make you depressed, although i deal with it all by just doing other things, coming on here, looking at cars, etc etc.
i would also try joining some thing that takes your mind off it, im in the life boat rescue service and do shit loads of mechanic courses at college just to take my mind off it that would be my advice
Old 10-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Char1ie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I think there's a big distinction between being sad and being depressed. Life's challenges can make you sad and doing things that make you happy can alleviate your mood. Dperession is a chemical imbalance in the brain and no amount of going out with your mates or having a laugh is going to fix that.

Charlie
Old 10-03-2010, 04:11 PM
TOMMY_RS
SHITE!

Originally Posted by Char1ie
I think there's a big distinction between being sad and being depressed. Life's challenges can make you sad and doing things that make you happy can alleviate your mood. Dperession is a chemical imbalance in the brain and no amount of going out with your mates or having a laugh is going to fix that.

Charlie
i see what you mean, although sitting around in the house all day etc won't help matters lol
Old 10-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Char1ie

Originally Posted by speedy-tom
i see what you mean, although sitting around in the house all day etc won't help matters lol
Sitting round the house doesn't make people depressed. Depressed people sit round the house because they can't see the sense in going out.

Charlie
Old 10-03-2010, 04:21 PM
TOMMY_RS
SHITE!

Originally Posted by Char1ie
Sitting round the house doesn't make people depressed. Depressed people sit round the house because they can't see the sense in going out.

Charlie
didn't say it did lol.
what i mean is if the depressed person was made to go out etc then surly thats better for them?
Old 10-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by speedy-tom
didn't say it did lol.
what i mean is if the depressed person was made to go out etc then surly thats better for them?
Dont always work out like that, if they go out could cheer them up but they would be back to square one when they got home
Old 10-03-2010, 05:56 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

just as the psycho ones are best in bed, thats if your on thier good side of course theres an element of danger involved though
Old 10-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

yes suffered from depression for a few years,i would great highs then crashing lows.

Would just sit in my room not want to go out or do anything,lost intrest in things I use to do,still have bad days,very bad mood swings and little things would make me really angry like people snjoring on a train or eating too loud,I would want to punch them or swear and shout at them.

But now I dont have that many really bad days as I use too,still cant go out very far on my own,get scared or panicky

Anti depressants and my anti phycotic tablets help but a good doc and help from your local menatl helath team can do wonders.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:18 PM
gaz s1
Advanced PassionFord User

yea ive suffered for years once it bites i dont think you ever recover just manage, beware of doctors handing sweets out though as theres more to it than taking tablets.

There is good help out there but i only got it after attempted suicide after things got that bad, if it wasnt for my mate finding me i wouldnt be here now and never let my self get to that stage now,i feel it coming on and have learnt to control it thanks to the help i got but i dont envyy you if you have it.

One of the worst health issues out there imo apart from cancer etc and its so misunderstood by a lot of people, mine started with stress at work and not sleeping and i didnt even realise what was happening but i got that bad i just broke down completely but im so much better now but still have really dark days sometimesbut have learnt that its just an illness like anything else and goes away and have good days to look forward to
Old 10-03-2010, 06:26 PM
rs tingle

i have time where i can be really hyper the next i can be very low an want to do somthing silly an time where i can get very angry an agressive which i didnt even now i had in me it sckares me at times as to what i could do now im sorry about the spelling an grammer i have dislexia i now it not an excuse
i hate who i am i lock myself in my room an drink an at times i feel i can take anyone on an i dont care what happens to me i have a medical condition which gets me to my all time low which is most days as i have incontenace i have to wear pads everyday i have to put pipes into me to juswash me out but this can not work most times an im left with myself smelling i hate myself iv had times where iv had a nife to my stomach jus to try an cut the badness out of me i hate it i juswant to be normal the only thing that keeps me sane at the min is my car an keeping myself to myself
i recon deppression is in everyone evryone suffers in one way or other jus some more than others im at the stage where i can go for weeks and weeks where i dont eat an i drink alot at the min but the simptoms go on for ages so ill stop now lol

Last edited by rs tingle; 10-03-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Mark_
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

doug you have a pm
Old 10-03-2010, 07:47 PM
D.K.
BANNED
BANNED

I will start a row for the sake of it even if that person hasnt done anything wrong.
Yeh dont i know it!
Old 10-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Ima Racing

I am on xanax daily....does the trick for me but cant help thinking what happened to MJ, Heath Ledger, that lastest lost boys bloke ETC ETC ETC...still fuck it they were happy no doubt!

Chip you are correct a mental illness is the worst, i am glad you appreciate that. Suffered all my life is no picnic.

Just as a suggestion as a cure for depression?

An M5 V10
Old 10-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Ciderwoman
A Bit Random

alot of people suffer with it and its nothing to be ashamed of, i suffered with it really badly when i had my daughter, and iv recently been through it again. its surprising how good at acting you become when people are around, put on a brave face etc, then alone even the smallest thing can set u off.
the fact uv opened this thread shows that maybe ur ready to get help, and like alot of people have said we are here if u need us, n yes defo go on that boys night will do u good.
love always dougie (or to me ur known as james)
Old 10-03-2010, 11:55 PM
Caprigirl
Drift Queen

I know all about depression , I never realised how bad and dark a place it is to be.

After attempted suicide I eventually managed to ask for help , Anti depressants are ok but as already mentioned the don't always work and cant be a double sided knife.

I am nearing the end of my counselling and I am proud of myself for mananging to dig myself out the dark hole I was in .

I have made a promise to myself that I am never getting back there , I will always have down days but not going there again.

I learned how to deal with things using cognitive behavioural thearpy , Its a way of challenging your thoughts ,when I was really bad I had to write it all down on paper as I could not see a way , Now when something happens I notice the mood change and can challenge my thoughts and I see a way through it .

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealt...ments/cbt.aspx

Hard though it can be , you need to ask for help sometimes , there is nothing wrong with admitting you need a helping hand
Old 11-03-2010, 07:43 AM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Caprigirl
I

I have made a promise to myself that I am never getting back there , I will always have down days but not going there again.

I learned how to deal with things using cognitive behavioural thearpy , Its a way of challenging your thoughts ,when I was really bad I had to write it all down on paper as I could not see a way , Now when something happens I notice the mood change and can challenge my thoughts and I see a way through it .

Glad to hear you're on the up.
I found CBT helpful as well , although one of the things i learned from ti is that you can never promise yourself that you'll NEVER do somethign as it leads to cognitive dissatisfaction, which can only be stopped by either failing and breaking your promise or when you die!
Old 11-03-2010, 08:28 AM
Ima Racing

cbt did nothing for me, athough mine is more anxiety/panic rather than outright depression of course i am going to be depressed to a degree but i have learnt to live with it my entire life, until recently were i had to go on to the medication...pride is all well and good thats what i had i just thought one day i will overcome it..WRONG it took all these years to realise it aint gonna go, it aint gonna get better. Being positive did fuck all As said cbt did nothing, after 12 weeks therapy he said nope you cant be helped, cheers mate What the hell is it like to be able to do the things a normal person does?
Old 11-03-2010, 07:37 PM
Caprigirl
Drift Queen

CBT is all about self help , so its not going to work for everyone
Old 11-03-2010, 09:08 PM
Ellie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

My experience- (if ya not depressed now you will be by the time youve read this!!)
You dont live.
You exist. Miserably.
And it stays that way unless you find some effort within yourself to change things, but its not easy, especially when you dont even see a point.
It got me 6years ago and has changed everything. Ruined relationships, cut every friend out of my life, lost jobs, behaved shamefully and recklessly etc etc.
My arm and thigh is scarred to hell from self-harming, ive took far too many drugs (legal and illegal) and while doing both together i was trying to pull the vein/nerve(what ever it was) out of my wrist with a pair of tweezers after slicing it open with a razor blade, then i just pulled my sleeve down and went into work the next day.
An overdose and collapsing in work almost cost me my career.
Ive starved myself down to 6st 12 (im 5'5) to escape feeling so low and to focus my mind on something other than death.
Its a pathetic and sad state to get into.

Ive been on medication for years and had loads of therapy. I finished a year of DBT therapy not so long ago which usually treats people with Borderline Personality Disorder, and its really helped.
Im much more in control of my thoughts and recognise when theyre not rational or are negative and im able to think about things instead of acting impulsivley and doing stupid things.
To look at me, you'd never know im in constant battle with myself. I get up, take the dogs out, go to work in a pharmacy, laugh, joke (ignore the anger inside) agonise over the biscuits, work hard, go out for my lunch break- starve/binge/puke, hang round the canal, looking at the bridge over the dual carridgeway or the train tracks, maybe on a better day go blow a load of money on clothes/make-up etc, back to work, drive home, have dinner with my mum (what a fat bitch i am for eating so much) get ready to go to boyfriends (nothing looks right because im an ugly cow etc) u get the idea.
Somedays you dont give a toss about anything and mite go and reveal far too much that youll feel ashamed about on a public forum!!!!

But there is hope. To look at me and talk to me you'd never know any of the above exists. I go to work, in a good relationship, have some interests and some things that i do actually enjoy, I can make plans etc etc.

It doesnt usually go this far though and lots of people go though up and down episodes in their lives, thats natural. But if something is bothering you and affecting your life then go speak to your gp sooner rather than later.

Last edited by Ellie; 11-03-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:05 PM
KW-rscos

Having some trouble with this at the moment, well, not me personally, but my missus is, she wont go down that route with the doctor though as she thinks its a load of rubbish, but she has most of the above symptoms, wants to shut herself away, no motivation, constantly tired, etc. Not sure what to do, I have tried all sorts of things, but not really getting any good advice, especially as she wont go to the doctors about it. She is having some trouble with her stomach at the mo as well, which I think is all phycological and she has had all these tests that come up clear, endoscopy, blood tests, ultrasound.

Really worried and not sure what to do
Old 11-03-2010, 11:25 PM
Chip

If she doesnt want help, all you can really do is wait until she does, if you try and push her, then the natural reaction will be just for her to resist even more.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:07 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

and I will start a row for the sake of it even if that person hasnt done anything wrong.
One of my exs was like that every other night or so shed try and argue but i wouldnt bite and id answer her with rational thought. As she didnt get what she needed, shed escalate the arguement with just pointless shouting etc and i still wouldnt bite so shed throw things then attack me So id just restrain her which was easy as she was small, just grab her from behind and cross her arms over her chest so she cant move until she angered herself to exhaustion and shut up fucking psycho. Then one day i got pissed off with it and shouted back at her telling her to fuck off and she went quiet. It turns out that when shes like that, what she wanted was someone to shout at her or treat her like shit and if it didnt happen shed push you till it did. All that is caused by her insecurity about herself and low feelings of self worth and belief she deserves to be treated bad. Its almost as if treating her nice meant her brain just couldnt cope putting out an "error" message turning her into a psycho so that she gets treated bad to even the status quo in her warped brain! very odd.
Originally Posted by Caprigirl
CBT is all about self help , so its not going to work for everyone
Originally Posted by Ellie
My arm and thigh is scarred to hell from self-harming, ive took far too many drugs (legal and illegal) and while doing both together i was trying to pull the vein/nerve(what ever it was) out of my wrist with a pair of tweezers after slicing it open with a razor blade, then i just pulled my sleeve down and went into work the next day.
An overdose and collapsing in work almost cost me my career.
Ive starved myself down to 6st 12 (im 5'5) to escape feeling so low and to focus my mind on something other than death.
Its a pathetic and sad state to get into.
Its NOT pathetic Ellie, although it may seem that way from your perspective and gives you more ammunition to beat your self up mentally.

Self harm is a coping skill, albeit unhealthy, and in some cases self harming helps you cope enough to avoid suicide. Self harm is not EMO or attention seeking. It really pisses me off that its not taken seriously by so many so called professionals because of idiot EMO's giving everyone a bad name.

It is sad though that all too often there isnt ready access to support and there isnt a talking culture any more, meaning that people can end up seriously hurting themselves or attempting suicide before any help is available. The NHS and society as a whole really needs to take mental health more seriously. The fact that mental health is almost as big as physical conditions in terms of time off work should be worrying the decision makers!

Originally Posted by Ellie
Ive been on medication for years and had loads of therapy. I finished a year of DBT therapy not so long ago which usually treats people with Borderline Personality Disorder, and its really helped.
Im much more in control of my thoughts and recognise when theyre not rational or are negative and im able to think about things instead of acting impulsivley and doing stupid things.
A therapy im going through at moment is similar kind of thing. You have to learn to recognise that you dont always have full control of your thoughts and when they come but you do have control over deciding if a thought is useful or not and therefore in time learn to ignore unhelpful thoughts and as a result your less bothered by them.

I had been hoping that one day, most of the negative thoughts and feelings would go away most of the time and id just have a normal range of lifes ups and downs.

My psychologist shattered that illusion for me in effect saying i cant be fixed and that i have to accept things i cant change as too much damage has been done. I dont like the concept of being "damaged goods"

It can be hard sometimes to accept that maybe you cant change your thoughts (contrary to what CBT would say).

But ultimately its about being ok with things and having more good days than bad, so if it means i can learn to ignore the shit in my head so it doesnt effect me much and i can do "normal" things then its worth it maybe.

But yeah ellie, i do understand what you mean when you say "whats the point??"

That simple phrase can undo and stop everything. Its all very well having plans for your life saying get a house, job, nice car, wife, 2.4 children etc but when you dont see a point then its hard to really believe in what your doing.

I used to think i wanted all the normal things in life, but im not sure these days. Society expects me to want those things but me actually wanting them is different.

Maybe ultimately we all have to conform to accepted norms whether we like them or not??? You could argue that until i have a house, decent job, wife, kids etc then i won't know if thats the life for me or not.

Originally Posted by KW-rscos
Having some trouble with this at the moment, well, not me personally, but my missus is, she wont go down that route with the doctor though as she thinks its a load of rubbish, but she has most of the above symptoms, wants to shut herself away, no motivation, constantly tired, etc. Not sure what to do, I have tried all sorts of things, but not really getting any good advice, especially as she wont go to the doctors about it. She is having some trouble with her stomach at the mo as well, which I think is all phycological and she has had all these tests that come up clear, endoscopy, blood tests, ultrasound.

Really worried and not sure what to do
As chip says, you cant force her.

How is your communication with her??? Are you working all hours so never there to give her the attention she needs??? Shit can build up over time if you dont have time or communication skills to talk to each other effectively.

An approach you might want to use is practically based one, eg working out what the issues are in her life that get her down rather than a CBT approach of changing thoughts. At least then as she works things out she should feel better.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:36 AM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

Depression is becoming more and more fashionable everyday!
Old 12-03-2010, 08:17 AM
KW-rscos

Well we dont live together at the momnet so it does make it hard to communicate with her some times, but I always try to talk to her when I can and I text her all the time, seems difficult to get a response alot though, but I guess that is her issues of not seeing a point in anything?

I guess I just have to be patient and be there for her, keep talking and texting until she decides she wants that help.

Just worry she might do something stupid, and at the moment I dont have a car so I cant pop up there as often or get there fast if she does need help.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:44 AM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Rick Astley
Depression is becoming more and more fashionable everyday!
i was told that anxiety/depression will affect 1 in 4 people at some point in their lives so it's not exactly uncommon!
Old 12-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

I reckon the way we are going, mental illhealth will overtake physical illhealth eventually.

So if we arent all dead from obesity or cancer by 40 then we will be crippled by mental illness and kill ourselves
Old 13-03-2010, 11:33 AM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Some good replys on here,did anyone feel they could not ask for help because then you become reliant on that source/person to keep ya feeling ok?

Quick Reply: Depression