General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Another failed gated sump causing engine meltdown

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 11:42 AM
COMEDY DAN
No1 Blower.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 750hp escos
A better deal than your going to get with your engine!!!!lol

cheers danny
-

I guess you get what you pay for, but at least he knows his wheels wont fall off in front of hundreds of people in the Brooklands stand. Quality costs.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:48 AM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
With comments like that about a fellow trader, do you honestly wonder why Tony doesn't seem to be in a hurry to help you with anything?
Quite.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:23 PM
pectelboy
Regular Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Who did you have the sump off flanigan, was it Marco or someone else as I have the same sump on mine being in there the last 5 years loads of track days not a problem at all ?
Old 02-08-2012, 12:26 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by COMEDY DAN
-

I guess you get what you pay for, but at least he knows his wheels wont fall off in front of hundreds of people in the Brooklands stand. Quality costs.
i shouldnt laugh but
Old 02-08-2012, 12:55 PM
flannigan
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by pectelboy
Who did you have the sump off flanigan, was it Marco or someone else as I have the same sump on mine being in there the last 5 years loads of track days not a problem at all ?
It came off RS-JP and was produced by the same person as the one in Marcos car I have been on the phone to marco about the issue and warned him of the possible defect the guy who produced these has seen all the photos and has agreed that it was a design fault even if the pins had not snapped they were wearing away at the nut that they pivot on so it was just a matter of time before they failed my best advice to you is take it off and check it a rework is a good idea too !!!!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 01:15 PM
pectelboy
Regular Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I had one on my 3door for 5 year and got one on my mk2 with a cossy in for 3 years done lots of track days never had a problem , don't know how this one failed ?will have a look at mine for piece of mind , by the way is there a bs stamp in the corner of the sump with a number on the gate box as the guy did this so he knew how had them , and was it zinc gold passvated ?
Old 02-08-2012, 01:21 PM
flannigan

Originally Posted by pectelboy
I had one on my 3door for 5 year and got one on my mk2 with a cossy in for 3 years done lots of track days never had a problem , don't know how this one failed ?will have a look at mine for piece of mind , by the way is there a bs stamp in the corner of the sump with a number on the gate box as the guy did this so he knew how had them , and was it zinc gold passvated ?
Yes it has 08 JP stamped on it and it was plated with a golden coating
Old 02-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Unlucky Dan

Could be worse.. it could have caught fire!
Old 02-08-2012, 04:59 PM
Moonstone Steve.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

A better deal than your going to get with your engine!!!!lol

Infact i have found a very good way of getting a good deal thanks..

PS

If your sump is the same as mikes and andys id say you would prob never have a problem with it..might free up some cash for some proper mods on your engine??

cheers danny
No need for that really mate is there, 1 you dont know how much my engine cost, 2 if you did you will prob fall over with shock at what I think is a very good price for the spec and work thats going into it, and thirdly I bet once its mapped by Tony I wont have any problems like I have had in the past with so called engine mappers, Im happy for Tony to either mod my existing sump or scrap the fucker and let him make a all singing all dancing one, he knows that and I am leaving the decision to him.

Steve
Old 02-08-2012, 05:17 PM
adriankt77
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

which is the 1 to go for then ??? or is it best just get the sump 'big winged' and leave it at that ????
Old 02-08-2012, 05:29 PM
dojj

there seem to be some that are better than others and, being a complete noveice the ones with the holes drilled in the sides look like they are the least agro
Old 02-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Moonstone Steve.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by dojj
there seem to be some that are better than others and, being a complete noveice the ones with the holes drilled in the sides look like they are the least agro
That said according to a man that knows the holes still need to be a certain size and in the right place

Steve
Old 02-08-2012, 05:45 PM
adriankt77
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Originally Posted by rsnissan
Bad boy Sump

is this the right sump to get ??? if so , where can i get one of these and how much of my hard earnt will it cost ??
Old 02-08-2012, 06:23 PM
flannigan

That is rarer than hens teeth mate you have more chance of winning the lotterey than buying one !!! And if that one is fore sale I want first dibs lol
Old 02-08-2012, 07:21 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by Moonstone Steve.
That said according to a man that knows the holes still need to be a certain size and in the right place

Steve

For sure, they need to be inside the sump

I'm not sure what drilling a few holes in the side would be for, unless it was to mount lots of oil temperature probes
Old 02-08-2012, 08:30 PM
marty24

Originally Posted by flannigan
That is rarer than hens teeth mate you have more chance of winning the lotterey than buying one !!! And if that one is fore sale I want first dibs lol

That would be fairly simple to replicate if had one to take dimensions of if there is a load of you guys wanting them why don't you approach a company and do a group buy on them ?
Old 02-08-2012, 08:44 PM
damien roe
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd take a good sump baffle
Old 02-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by marty24
That would be fairly simple to replicate if had one to take dimensions of if there is a load of you guys wanting them why don't you approach a company and do a group buy on them ?
there are 4 more pieces to that sump set up that are not pictured
Old 03-08-2012, 12:13 AM
750hp escos
BANNED
BANNED

With comments like that about a fellow trader, do you honestly wonder why Tony doesn't seem to be in a hurry to help you with anything?
Fellow trader??? im not one am i? as for the tony bollox..i sent him an email the day i was allowed back on here saying lets bury the hatchet and infact id like to send work your way etc..
I also asked about 2 supra diff conversions there and then..

Iv been ignored!!!
Originally Posted by COMEDY DAN
-

Haha!!! fucking knob head..how do you compare a wheel coming of on my car to an engine blowing up??

I think your find things like that happen to the best of race teams and the like but yeah when it comes to making fun out of me the worst you can say or pin point on is a wheel coming off!!!lol

You know why??yeah thats right it never went wrong or blew up or similar!!
Originally Posted by Moonstone Steve.
No need for that really mate is there, 1 you dont know how much my engine cost, 2 if you did you will prob fall over with shock at what I think is a very good price for the spec and work thats going into it, and thirdly I bet once its mapped by Tony I wont have any problems like I have had in the past with so called engine mappers, Im happy for Tony to either mod my existing sump or scrap the fucker and let him make a all singing all dancing one, he knows that and I am leaving the decision to him.

Steve
Steve you go all quite but then take the piss out of me about me wanting a supra diff but what i cant say anything back??fuck off!!!stop being a fairy...

So if the map that was done for you was at fault then post the map up on here??

I have a copy of your map and all your runs on the dd rr also the afr graphs etc etc..

Dont believe everything thats said to you!! like tony saying your map is/was shit!!lol

Get him to post it and lets see anyone pull it apart???

Your car went wrong because a vacuum hose was left off when ran on the rr on a rr day..i think thats what went wrong with your car..

Also how many miles had that engine done before it was even mapped??

Either way the files of the map are still on my lap top and all the runs are still logged on the dd rr so if you wanna put it all up on here id love to go through it with anyone??

Or if no proof or argument on that how about stop going on about it because id put all i own that the map was not at fault on your car!!

Other than that im glad your happy with whatever price youve got your build for and i hope your happy in the end..

I always thought you were a nice bloke so i hope your car is the tits!!

cheers danny
Old 03-08-2012, 06:03 AM
Moonstone Steve.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Mate the supra diff was a bit of banter, if you and Tony have issues and he wont sell you them then thats fuck all to do with me and I know fuck all about it,
If Tony wants to put the map on here and explain it then I will leave it to him,
I think my engine had problems way before the vacuum hose coming off tbh hence why I have never pursued the matter, just put it the whole EP and PE behind me and went for the best to start a fresh,
My car will be the tits mate, I have every faith in Tony

Steve
Old 03-08-2012, 06:55 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Official PassionFord Trader
Administrator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Fellow trader??? im not one am i?
I was under the impression you still ran a business in the automotive industry, appologies if that one has closed down as well mate, but even if so, you should still understand that bad mouthing other companies in your industry (hence my "fellow trader" comment) never does anything but end in tears and there is no need for it.

as for the tony bollox..i sent him an email the day i was allowed back on here saying lets bury the hatchet and infact id like to send work your way etc..I also asked about 2 supra diff conversions there and then..

Iv been ignored!!!
So leave it at that, who looks most professional, the one just ignoring someone he doesn't get on with, or the one making comments about his prices or abilities on a public forum as though he has an axe to grind?

Just leave it be mate, there are plenty of other traders out there that will take your money from you without you having to resort to public digs and making yourself look bad.

Last edited by Stu @ M Developments; 03-08-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:06 AM
750hp escos
BANNED
BANNED

I was under the impression you still ran a business in the automotive industry, appologies if that one has closed down as well mate, but even if so, you should still understand that bad mouthing other companies in your industry (hence my "fellow trader" comment) never does anything but end in tears and there is no need for it.

So leave it at that, who looks most professional, the one just ignoring someone he doesn't get on with, or the one making comments about his prices or abilities on a public forum as though he has an axe to grind?

Just leave it be mate, there are plenty of other traders out there that will take your money from you without you having to resort to public digs and making yourself look bad.

Its a shame that when i was a paying trader on this very site and helped a lot of people out and did a lot of business on here that you for one never stuck up for me like that!!

Maybe you should look at threads back then??or yeah i forgot..when tony tried having an argument with me about a few things he removed all his posts!!!

I believe yourself,chip and tony all tried putting me and ep down all in the open on here and when a couple of up set customers came along moaning they were also left to just air shit on here!!!

Stu come on mate one rule for one and all that...you have a very short memory...

As for me well i only helped ep as i did use to tell you all but ep went down with luke going through bad personal shit and any rep it had went to shit on here...

Iv always been involved in the cosworth stuff on and of since 1992 as its always been my hobby and many friends so yes i still do a lot but it certainly isnt my business in fact if i could fuck it all of and get out the scene id prob be a much richer man!!!lol

I have to get my race car finished though as i have to much invested in it not too..oh yeah i also own a very busy paint shop..we painted martin hadlands firenza if you remember??

cheers danny
Old 03-08-2012, 11:20 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Stu/Danny - might be worth having that discussion offline rather than in this thread?

As for the original post, the design of the sump looks pretty good to me, I guess that either a weld wasnt quite right (seems unlikely having seen dougs welds first hand, I genuinely cant think of anyone I'd sooner trust near a welder TBH) or perhaps the material specs arent quite right to cope with the vibration or similar.

Real shame if these sumps arent upto the job as I know Doug cares a lot about people enjoying their cars etc.

Will be interesting to see what he says about it, although stepping onto PF to discuss it would be a pretty fruitless way to deal with it probably as no doubt 100 uninvolved people will just start jumping up and down and making claims he should stand on the entire cost of the engine etc, and it never works like that in reality, even cosworth refused to do that when their oil pumps killed people's engines.

Lets hope its just a couple of isolated failures out of all the ones sold and not indicative of an inherent problem given that so many people have been using them without a problem.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:31 AM
750hp escos
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Chip
Stu/Danny - might be worth having that discussion offline rather than in this thread?

As for the original post, the design of the sump looks pretty good to me, I guess that either a weld wasnt quite right (seems unlikely having seen dougs welds first hand, I genuinely cant think of anyone I'd sooner trust near a welder TBH) or perhaps the material specs arent quite right to cope with the vibration or similar.

Real shame if these sumps arent upto the job as I know Doug cares a lot about people enjoying their cars etc.

Will be interesting to see what he says about it, although stepping onto PF to discuss it would be a pretty fruitless way to deal with it probably as no doubt 100 uninvolved people will just start jumping up and down and making claims he should stand on the entire cost of the engine etc, and it never works like that in reality, even cosworth refused to do that when their oil pumps killed people's engines.

Lets hope its just a couple of isolated failures out of all the ones sold and not indicative of an inherent problem given that so many people have been using them without a problem.

Id say your prob spot on when it comes to the baffle plate as it seems theres loads out there with no other complaint..

If it was a vibration thing though then it would obviously happen to many others so in this case unfortunately for rich(sonic boom) it was indeed the welds that just did not hold together!!

I see it first hand in the flesh..the welds weren't penetrated and were very poor,hence engine failure...hopefully a one of like you say

cheers danny
Old 03-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Chip

Wonder if Doug personally welds them all or if he has subcontracted some of them out.

I know everyone makes mistakes sometimes, even those who are really good at their jobs, but I just find it really hard to believe Doug personally did a shonky weld, he's just so good normally.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:09 PM
750hp escos
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Chip
Wonder if Doug personally welds them all or if he has subcontracted some of them out.

I know everyone makes mistakes sometimes, even those who are really good at their jobs, but I just find it really hard to believe Doug personally did a shonky weld, he's just so good normally.

Like i said in an earlier post ,im sure doug himself didnt sit there and weld batches of these up himself..

Thats not really the issue when it comes to richs blown engine though is it?

He has used someones baffle and it has failed also when doug was confronted about it he agreed to help out but has since ignored rich so imo that isnt very good and not fair on rich?

cheers danny
Old 03-08-2012, 12:22 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Have to say Danny you always came across as a decent enough fella on here and I thought dealt with the Luke/ep situation pretty well,he however came across as a complete cocksucker!!!
I think perhaps you were a tad crass in your approach to Steve's business with tony turbo systems and also remember that tony has a really good following on here,me included as he sorted me out with a turbo for my merc ml at a really good price,so perhaps the wrong person to criticise,even tongue in cheek!!!
To give stu some credit too there is/was a thread somewhere by cossie 4i where he was not happy with msd's service and stu did come on here defending himself and let the thread run.
You know how shit goes on here,someone's flavour of the month one minute and a total cocksucker the next,no names mentioned but a certain trader on here seems to be getting tiring with his constant moans about the state of the country while appearing to most who are genuinely struggling to have a pretty good lifestyle.

I think the whole ep negativity thing came about because all of a sudden a "new" tuning company appeared with a high profile on here which any new business needs and of course when people get put on a pedestal my god don't people love to knock them off it!!!

I'm sure every business makes mistakes,those that don't are lying,I could personally write a book on the subject but that's another story!!!!!
Old 03-08-2012, 12:38 PM
750hp escos
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by vaughant
Have to say Danny you always came across as a decent enough fella on here and I thought dealt with the Luke/ep situation pretty well,he however came across as a complete cocksucker!!!
I think perhaps you were a tad crass in your approach to Steve's business with tony turbo systems and also remember that tony has a really good following on here,me included as he sorted me out with a turbo for my merc ml at a really good price,so perhaps the wrong person to criticise,even tongue in cheek!!!
To give stu some credit too there is/was a thread somewhere by cossie 4i where he was not happy with msd's service and stu did come on here defending himself and let the thread run.
You know how shit goes on here,someone's flavour of the month one minute and a total cocksucker the next,no names mentioned but a certain trader on here seems to be getting tiring with his constant moans about the state of the country while appearing to most who are genuinely struggling to have a pretty good lifestyle.

I think the whole ep negativity thing came about because all of a sudden a "new" tuning company appeared with a high profile on here which any new business needs and of course when people get put on a pedestal my god don't people love to knock them off it!!!

I'm sure every business makes mistakes,those that don't are lying,I could personally write a book on the subject but that's another story!!!!!

Thanks mate,appreciate that as i really have and do try and help as i enjoy it all..

When i read what youve said above and knowing that that has come from an outsider it makes me realize that your right in most of what you've said..

Ive been told on more than one occasion that i would get on with tony if we met and that he was a funny old fucker and thats why i offered the olive branch and also asked to do some business with him but i must of hurt his feelings to much when we argued about the cossie 4is shit back then??i really dont know??

Mind you the way he still goes on about the ex wife shit maybe he just cant let things go!! fuck if he did know me then he would realize we have more in common than he thinks!!!lol..

cheers danny
Old 03-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Danny if you wish to discuss moonstones map with pf why don't you post it up
address points 3A20H-3A9FH

Last edited by Turbosystems; 03-08-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:50 PM
750hp escos
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Turbosystems
Danny if you wish to discuss moonstones map with pf why don't you post it up
address points 3A20H-3A9FH

if you have an issue with it then start by posting it your self and tell me what you think is wrong with it??

Did you ever run it in car to see how it was??did you check afrs or if it detted on road??

As far as im aware youve took a damaged engine apart and then blamed the map??

cheers danny
Old 03-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

I received a pile of bits resembling a YB engine

a set of 4 matching well detted pistons

max injector duty cycle with all adders and multipliers applied of 13.08m/s
injector type siemens 3105
your map also says when we open it up steve4i that's interesting

Last edited by Turbosystems; 03-08-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:58 PM
750hp escos
BANNED
BANNED

I think your find that was damaged caused by a vacuum pipe being left off ..

So looking at the map after seeing this you what do you think is the cause?

cheers danny
Old 03-08-2012, 01:58 PM
750hp escos
BANNED
BANNED

Pics of pistons?
Old 03-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Chip

I received a pile of bits resembling a YB engine

max injector duty cycle with all adders and multipliers applied of 13.08m/s
injector type siemens 3105
your map also says when we open it up steve4i that's interesting
Flol @ "steve4i" in the map.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:25 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

no it wasn't
the det is caused by incorrect ignition angle at midrange high boost load points
instead of copying our turbosystems steve 4i chip and pasting in tables from old yb chips you should have left the trick ignition table and map alone
you have lost the 3.10 absolute pressure break line and replace it with a 2.82 absolute point
the line you lost contained lower ignition values

Whilst your over all afr values may have been correct at the time on the rollers and you may well have heard no det you could well have been mapping the tables at the wrong points due to the weber l8 being speed density

Last edited by Turbosystems; 03-08-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:34 PM
750hp escos
BANNED
BANNED

no it wasn't
the det is caused by incorrect ignition angle at midrange high boost load points
instead of copying our turbosystems steve 4i chip and pasting in tables from old yb chips you should have left the trick ignition table and map alone
you have lost the 3.10 absolute pressure break line and replace it with a 2.82 absolute point
the line you lost contained lower ignition values

I havnt got all the tables in front of me like you have and i will have to get hold of luke to do so but the reason it has stevie4i on it is because we started with map as a base map being that it was an 83lb injector map the reason the ignition tables arnt the same is because the the cr wasnt the same and nor was the turbo!!!

Whenever you map someones car ther is a choice of maps to start with in the firts place..
The start up,boost map and fuel map was/is a great start for many 83lb maps..

cheers danny
Old 03-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

so you stole my trick l8 weber configured 3105 file because you aren't clever enough to configure your own
I had another engine in here from your area with an AFR chip in it that one is an exact copy of my trick 3105 steve4i chip apart from the boost map where you have pasted garbage in
Old 03-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Whenever you map someones car ther is a choice of maps to start with in the firts place..

cheers danny
shame yours are all other peoples work
do your own like the real mappers do
Old 03-08-2012, 03:05 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The 4i lives on in many cars

Steve
Old 03-08-2012, 03:13 PM
750hp escos
BANNED
BANNED

shame yours are all other peoples work
do your own like the real mappers do

Tony at the end of the day we only had a copy of your file because 4i needed it adjusting because it was so rich after peak boost and toque it needed adjusting..

If you remember your very trick map went of our 10.1 scale for arf!! not so trick ah??

Ive got over 200 files on my old laptop in front of me some of which are the same base config as your trick 83 lb map so what we select to start with is totally up to us and said spec and then modified to suit cars needs

Steve moonstones car was not detting when he left us and iv just check files against big steves and can confirm that it was used as a base but mapped to suit moonstones engine and is different in many ways..

You can not confirm just by looking at the map that it was the map that made it detonate,the only fair trial would be to start with this prong( if the spec was the same) and carefully listen for det when re mapping but of course because you think your the best and are persistent in putting us down maybe we could ask someone of stus ability to check the said map in trail?? as you know tony thers many factors that could of caused det but its all to easy to be blaming any tuner for his map..

cheers danny

Quick Reply: Another failed gated sump causing engine meltdown