General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Another failed gated sump causing engine meltdown

Search this Thread

Old 31-07-2012, 05:24 PM
flannigan
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 750hp escos
I cant comment on flannigans although its clear to see its failed where its most important..

With riches (sonic boom)i can say that the welds are shit and its a very poorly made bit of kit as i did see this first hand..

There is no need to re invent the wheel when it comes to these gated baffles as like iv said before the ones iv used for many years are fine and never seen or heard of any trouble..

They are also not dear to buy.. also to flannigan..id say theres nothing wrong with your actual sump mate just been very unlucky with the gates on the baffle..

cheers danny

That's also what I thought when I bought it unfortunately there is an issue with the method of fixing the gates to the baffle plate maybe the welding has caused the pins to become brittle ??? God knows but it has just cost me a £2k engine rebuild !!!!!
Old 31-07-2012, 05:26 PM
750hp escos
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by rsnissan
Nahh, I was always paranoid about this and just left my sump winged!

I feel your pain though

Its actually a worse idea to have a big wing sump and no baffles than to just have a std sump!!!
Originally Posted by dave cos4x4
Danny,

they are not reinventing the wheel, just jumping on the band wagon to make them at a cheaper alternative.

Sorry mate i was talking about spending a £1000 on a new big wing gated sump set up of tony when he only needs a proper gated baffle in his sump..

I understand this are just cheap copies and tbh id never use one as i like iv said a few times the ones iv ever seen or used in the last 20 years have been of much better quality for only like 15-20 quid more and never seen one go wrong..

My point is a decent big wing sump with a proper gated baffle shouldnt cost anymore than £250 max and is totally perfect for the job so a real easy fit and forget so cant see why people are talking about a special this and a special that and spending a grand on it..

cheers danny
Old 31-07-2012, 05:37 PM
Moonstone Steve.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm sorry to see this m8, glad Tony will be sorting mine know.

Steve
Old 31-07-2012, 05:40 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
Would be a good idea to alert people of the make so that they can check theirs before it's too late?
I agree Mike .
Fitted mine in 1999 & just removed it to go dry sump, perfect condition & in another engine now.

Big wing without a baffle whats that all about do you drive at 50mph & never around any corners .
Old 31-07-2012, 05:41 PM
pig

That's a gutter dan.hope your running again son mate.I've been running one from Joe stevens for years and been fine thank fuck.see you Friday mate
Old 31-07-2012, 05:45 PM
750hp escos
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by pig
That's a gutter dan.hope your running again son mate.I've been running one from Joe stevens for years and been fine thank fuck.see you Friday mate

Yours will be fine forever mate as thats the same as iv used since 1992!!

See you fri pig...

cheers danny
Old 31-07-2012, 05:48 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MadRod
I agree Mike .
Fitted mine in 1999 & just removed it to go dry sump, perfect condition & in another engine now.

Big wing without a baffle whats that all about do you drive at 50mph & never around any corners .

you have one in your car Rod?

why???? pmsl.

joke btw.
Old 31-07-2012, 05:48 PM
flannigan

Originally Posted by Moonstone Steve.
I'm sorry to see this m8, glad Tony will be sorting mine know.

Steve
yes its just as important that the materials used and the method of fastening it all together is correct as the design is itself !!!

and danny i would quite gladly pay £1000 for a proper sump made by sombody who actually made the original than a very good looking copy that fails and costs me another engine way i see it is that it would have saved me £1000 and that is a price im more than willing to pay !!!
Old 31-07-2012, 05:49 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

see what you mean Danny.
Old 31-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

My sumps are 295
where the fook do you get 1k from
Old 31-07-2012, 06:07 PM
750hp escos
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Turbosystems
My sumps are 295
where the fook do you get 1k from

I was just going by cossie4i s post a few posts back where he said a new sump baffle and breather kit was a grand..

Maybe the tight arse was exaggerating again??

cheers danny
Old 31-07-2012, 06:17 PM
flannigan

I was just going by cossie4i s post a few posts back where he said a new sump baffle and breather kit was a grand..

Maybe the tight arse was exaggerating again??

cheers danny
how do work out that tonys sump is a grand when steve said it was a sump and breather sysyem fitted for £1000
Old 31-07-2012, 06:39 PM
750hp escos
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by flannigan
how do work out that tonys sump is a grand when steve said it was a sump and breather sysyem fitted for £1000

Mate i dont want to argue with you so dont know why your picking one with me??

The way steve said it was that he had to spend a grand to run the above set up to stop big ends spinning..

All im saying is the big wing sump is just that the baffle part is the important bit and the breather has fuck all to di with it..

I was going by his post so not making it up but yes i agree with you that after your problem using one of tonys tried and tested baffles is the way to go but you deffo wont need a new sump(unless yours doesnt fit tonys baffles properly)and of course wont need a new breather just to suit the sump...

Im only saying this as steve made it sound like it was an all in thing he needed..

cheers danny
Old 31-07-2012, 06:49 PM
flannigan

Mate i dont want to argue with you so dont know why your picking one with me??

The way steve said it was that he had to spend a grand to run the above set up to stop big ends spinning..

All im saying is the big wing sump is just that the baffle part is the important bit and the breather has fuck all to di with it..

I was going by his post so not making it up but yes i agree with you that after your problem using one of tonys tried and tested baffles is the way to go but you deffo wont need a new sump(unless yours doesnt fit tonys baffles properly)and of course wont need a new breather just to suit the sump...

Im only saying this as steve made it sound like it was an all in thing he needed..

cheers danny
ahh ok lol

After this massive fuckup i am going to be removing the sump after every race to change the oil and filter and checkover things i would rather spend an extra £30 on a sump gasket and know its ok than worry about another failure !!!
Old 31-07-2012, 06:59 PM
B13 JUS
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are the g19 and the touring car spares baffles the same?
Old 31-07-2012, 07:38 PM
flannigan

Originally Posted by B13 JUS
Yes mate
Old 31-07-2012, 07:46 PM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Same design, different maker

When Rich mentioned his failed baffle in the other thread i spoke to Doug regarding this as i have one of his fitted in my engine.
Doug told me he would send out another item with extra welds if i wanted free of charge but he said what they had on them was enough for the job and had never had a single failure in well over 300 sold items.
He mentioned that Rich's baffle had apparently failed and being the first had asked for the parts to be sent to him for inspection which he never got after agreeing to send a courier for them - the sump is what he really needed to see as it wasn't his and he had heard it was a complete mess.
It's not my argument it's between Rich and Doug but i would never take liability for parts/failure etc without seeing said items to make a decision.

So Justin do you have one of that design in yours?
Old 31-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Cosnada
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I know Doug's ally welding is superb. I can't see why steel should not be as good. I have a sump and gated baffle from him in the garage that will be going on my 500 horse track car engine. I have not inspected the welds but will have a good look and if needs be get the mig out for insurance
All the dealings I have had have been very good and a true gent when I met him. He aint a rip off merchant and actually very helpful.
Old 31-07-2012, 08:01 PM
flannigan

Originally Posted by Cosnada
I know Doug's ally welding is superb. I can't see why steel should not be as good. I have a sump and gated baffle from him in the garage that will be going on my 500 horse track car engine. I have not inspected the welds but will have a good look and if needs be get the mig out for insurance
All the dealings I have had have been very good and a true gent when I met him. He aint a rip off merchant and actually very helpful.
DO NOT mig weld it mate as it will cause it to crack with vibration as it makes the area around the weld hard and brittle you're better off braizing it together and letting it cool naturally not dumping it in water !!!!
Old 31-07-2012, 08:07 PM
750hp escos
BANNED
BANNED

ahh ok lol

After this massive fuckup i am going to be removing the sump after every race to change the oil and filter and checkover things i would rather spend an extra £30 on a sump gasket and know its ok than worry about another failure !!!

Good idea if this isnt to much grief for you but in lal fairness if your that worried then why not just go dry sump??

Fit and forget apart from re placing pump drive belt every now and then and re building pump once a season??

cheers danny
Old 31-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Cosnada
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

DO NOT mig weld it mate as it will cause it to crack with vibration as it makes the area around the weld hard and brittle you're better off braizing it together and letting it cool naturally not dumping it in water !!!!
Fair point - I can braize too
Old 31-07-2012, 08:12 PM
B13 JUS

Originally Posted by BRAMMER

When Rich mentioned his failed baffle in the other thread i spoke to Doug regarding this as i have one of his fitted in my engine.
Doug told me he would send out another item with extra welds if i wanted free of charge but he said what they had on them was enough for the job and had never had a single failure in well over 300 sold items.
He mentioned that Rich's baffle had apparently failed and being the first had asked for the parts to be sent to him for inspection which he never got after agreeing to send a courier for them - the sump is what he really needed to see as it wasn't his and he had heard it was a complete mess.
It's not my argument it's between Rich and Doug but i would never take liability for parts/failure etc without seeing said items to make a decision.

I have tcs in mine.
Is doug G19?
Old 31-07-2012, 08:14 PM
750hp escos
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by BRAMMER

In all fairness the guy is obviously very talented but for one i doubt he sat there and welded like a batch of 50 himself?

Secondly you can be the best at what you do in the world but a mistake can be made at any time and with the photo evidence you can clearly see this baffle has failed ..

In this circumstance he cant deny its failed and is the cause of the engine problem..

Thirdly rich had his engine built more than once by a well known and trusted engine builder so surely if the baffle was to look like it dint or couldnt work surely rich as the customer should of been told??

Fouthly ,the baffle itself has fallen apart at the welds so doesnt matter what he says about the sump itself as whatever happens the welds shouldnt fall apart??

cheers danny
Old 31-07-2012, 08:21 PM
flannigan

Good idea if this isnt to much grief for you but in lal fairness if your that worried then why not just go dry sump??

Fit and forget apart from re placing pump drive belt every now and then and re building pump once a season??

cheers danny
I have thought about a dry sump but I would be in the same boat if the belt were to snap I know this is unlikely but still a possibility ? Plus it's easy to remove my sump as the engine is chassis mounted
Old 31-07-2012, 08:23 PM
B13 JUS

Anyone got a good big wing sump with baffles? Lol
I'm not risking my engine.
Old 31-07-2012, 08:29 PM
flannigan

Anyone got a good big wing sump with baffles? Lol
I'm not risking my engine.
Plenty of people thought they did mate till all this came to light in all fairness I was very unlucky but I will be sending my failed unit to turbosystems and he will rework it as nesseseary I will be removing it every oil change to inspect it for defects but that is me being paranoid now I'm sure it will be fine !
Old 31-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Mr C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That failed baffle set looks like it was mounted on nut welded to the frame- nuts have sharp threads which will cut the rod inside it causing failure. Why use nuts not a rounded retainer :-/ these gates flap about constantly so need a decent bearing/bush
Old 01-08-2012, 07:16 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ima Racing
A bit like those top mounts Mike R was producing and those zoo rear beams.......people really dont realise it takes more than an idea to produce something proven and SAFE, i guess they use the "in theory" method.
Funny that you should mention them, as despite the protestations of many, it was realised that they were perfectly safe once a set landed in the UK and you could see how they worked - you must have missed Chip's climb down ? And the ten sets are still on cars (two of them on Time Attack cars), and in the 7-8 years of use (and having been transferred from car to car), not ONE single one has had an issue . However, as usual, don't let the facts get in the way of your dig .

And FYI, I didn't produce them, a very clever American did that, I just sold them.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:33 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its actually a worse idea to have a big wing sump and no baffles than to just have a std sump!!!
cheers danny
Can you please clarify your reason behind this?

I have been running big wing sumps with nothing more than the standard baffle arrangement in it since 1997 and have never had any oil starvation issues? Admittedly my car is a road car, and I have never used full slicks (the stickiest has been Khumo V70As), but it gets given death around track days.

The big wing sumps SHOULD retain the original sump walls with a few holes drilled into them, which act as a baffle anyway?

Dry sumps are all well and good, but you have to know what you're doing when fitting one, as they have to run restrictors to get the correct flow to the differing parts of the engine and EVERYTHING relies on that one £10 belt, which frightens the life out of me, along with the worry of the potential damage with a visit to a gravel trap and a stone causing it to throw the belt .

Last edited by Mike Rainbird; 01-08-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:38 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

nothing wrong with that sump mike apart from the lower row of holes look a little low
No chance of the gates falling off lol
it's the ones people have made with the sides either cut out or have drilled massive holes in like moonstones steves which we shall be binning

Last edited by Turbosystems; 01-08-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:50 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

I dont get it.

How on earth can something that size make it's way through the oil strainer and up the pickup pipe ?

Is there even a strainer fitted ?
Old 01-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
I dont get it.

How on earth can something that size make it's way through the oil strainer and up the pickup pipe ?

The whole thing has become baffling
Old 01-08-2012, 10:34 AM
flannigan

I dont get it.

Yes the strainer was fitted and was in perfect working order I will post pictures later
Old 01-08-2012, 10:42 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

Yes the strainer was fitted and was in perfect working order I will post pictures later
is it a strainer or a wire fence ?

Ive never seen a strainer with mesh so coarse that something as big as that pin could ever fit through.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:24 AM
flannigan

is it a strainer or a wire fence ?

Ive never seen a strainer with mesh so coarse that something as big as that pin could ever fit through.
A bit of both really on the end of the pickup is a wire mesh strainer that the pin has worn / broken its way through and there is a hole in it now
Old 01-08-2012, 11:44 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

pay peanuts, get monkeys
Old 01-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbosystems
nothing wrong with that sump mike apart from the lower row of holes look a little low
Tony, why do you think the lower row of holes look too low? Is it because the oil can flow straight through into the wings under lateral load without having to climb a lip?
Old 01-08-2012, 11:53 AM
DAN-Saff

Originally Posted by Mike1
Tony, why do you think the lower row of holes look too low? Is it because the oil can flow straight through into the wings under lateral load without having to climb a lip?
Probably turbulance of oil passing under the strainer.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Ima Racing

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
Funny that you should mention them, as despite the protestations of many, it was realised that they were perfectly safe once a set landed in the UK and you could see how they worked - you must have missed Chip's climb down ? And the ten sets are still on cars (two of them on Time Attack cars), and in the 7-8 years of use (and having been transferred from car to car), not ONE single one has had an issue . However, as usual, don't let the facts get in the way of your dig .

And FYI, I didn't produce them, a very clever American did that, I just sold them.
Fuck anything else please link the thread where Chimp backed down?
Old 01-08-2012, 12:39 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Ima Racing
Fuck anything else please link the thread where Chimp backed down?
the rainbird has probbaly bloced chip until he has proof

or maybe he was searching for it all along before he made such a bold statement

Quick Reply: Another failed gated sump causing engine meltdown