General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

car impounded for no insuance

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default car impounded for no insuance

ok i was tugged by traffic,, car came up no insurance and so they took it off me as it was 12am and they couldnt called the insurance to confirm

anyway turns out the reg was wrong by 1 digit,,, life goes on

BUT i produced and proved the error at 4am and asked if i could get my car,,,, but was told NO cause it was at the pound that opens at 12pm !!! ( fucking great time that is btw)

anyway as i was queing for my car with all the others,,,, others all guilty might i add !!,,,, my fucking car turns up at 4pm INTO THE FUCKING POUND

now aint this a little unfair that i have been chaged for the removal due to a ERROR, the car was VOSA inspected which ment i had to wait a extra 30 mins for my car when i had paied the cash !!!, lucky that its just been MOT the week before too !!!

i was charged for OVER NIGHT STORAGE EVEN THOUGH IT WAS IN THE FUCKING POUND FOR LESS THAT 2 HOURS !!, 122 quid i been charged for this,,,,, AND IVE GOT FUCKING INSURACE FFS

also been given a FPN for no insurance so have to go to court to prove i was insured

oh and i had to drive to fucking hampshire to get my fucking insuance cert or would be charged with the weekends fees too !!!,,,,

now how do i go about claiming this back,,, its a error i know BUT SURELY CAUSE IM INSURED THAT I SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO GET THE CAR BACK, its wasted a day of my life,, i had to WALK home due to having no cash on me as my wallet at work,,, i had to borrow a car to get a original document to get the fucking insured car back

anyone else here had this happpen,,, its just a way of getting peoples money ffs,,,, even though ive proved im legal i still had to pay,,,, wheres that fucking fair

oh and i was arrested to cause i told the copper to " come take the keys from me " cause i refused to let him have my scoobie to drive off

fucked up country we live in,,,, shame when the cossie was lifted they didnt wanna help me that much then
Old 05-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Stephen_B
I actually Bum This Place

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what twats. They should have to pay back all costs and inconviences since its their cock up. Small claims courts perhaps?
Old 05-07-2008, 10:31 PM
pa_sjo
Colossal Pervert

I hate to say this, but unfortunately it is your responsibility to ensure your insurance document is accurate. The chances are you won't be able to claim anything
Old 05-07-2008, 10:32 PM
lil_me
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

I'd start with a rather large complaint to the Chief Inspector in writing, we did the same when we got a fine for tax (the disc holder had come off in the heat and was on the dash board) fine was refunded etc.

I am pressuming the 1 digit wrong was when they requested the info not that your insurance was incorrect.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

the reg was wrong where, on their system or on your insurance certificate?

thats what makes the difference, if it was your mistake, nomatter how unfair, they have you by the short and curlies
Old 05-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

I need to know who to write too,, the fact the car wasnt even in the fucking pound but in the car park at euston station is what fucks me off,,,, i was at the pound before the fucking car was,,,, and i was queing up for 5 hours to get the cunt back !!!,,,, i was at the pound for 3 hours before the car turned up,,,, by which time the police ALREADY had proof i was insured as the docs where delivered to me with the errors at 5am when i was bailed !!

why did they " check" and confirm its at the fucking pound, they fucking lied to me ffs !!!
Old 05-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally
the reg was wrong where, on their system or on your insurance certificate?

thats what makes the difference, if it was your mistake, nomatter how unfair, they have you by the short and curlies

insurance on the cert was wrong hence it came up not insured,,,, i get that part,, it the fact i had to pay to get me car back,,,,, and i was charged over night storage for a car that was in the pound for 2 hours,,,, not to mention IM FUCKING INSURED AND ITS A CLERICAL ERROR !!!

lets not forget that part,,,, man follows the law and gets fucked over,,,,,,,,, on fucking bail now too !!!
Old 05-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

ginge, as much as i hate it they will do you and there's really fuck all you can do about it. anytihng you try will just leave you worse off

sorry
Old 05-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Ian M500COS
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

If that were me i would not let that drop until i was dead!

Write a letter to the Chief Cuntstable, to your local MP, to the Police Complaints Commission and to your insurance company but do not let this drop!! Even if you didnt get your money back, it would cause some grief for the plod as all complaints have to be looked into!!
Old 05-07-2008, 10:43 PM
Diamonds.
BANNED
BANNED

if the cert was wrong then its not the police's fault and there going by the book. end of the day its not their fault if its a wrong document.

i would be pissed off too over the whole thing but nothing you can really do tbh
Old 05-07-2008, 10:46 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

the police are never going to cover your losses. as far as they will be concerned they were within their right to remove it as it wasnt logged as insured for that registration. the insurance company is likely to pass the buck onto you as its your responsability to check all your details are correct and notify them if theyre not.
good luck . i think youl need it.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:47 PM
lil_me

You can try complaining as stated but I do know someone who has points from being convicted for driving without insurance as it was a 'letter' wrong on his certificate. The judge told him it was his responsibility to check he was correctly insured when the documents came through.

He didn't take a solicitor or get any advice but wishes he had now.

www.askmid.com an easy way to check

Last edited by lil_me; 05-07-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:47 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

People going round with wrong reg have to expect this, isn't difficult to check your reg plates are the same...
COuld be avoiding speeding tickets and all sorts for all they know anyway.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:49 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally
ginge, as much as i hate it they will do you and there's really fuck all you can do about it. anytihng you try will just leave you worse off

sorry
what you goingon about,,,, im insured,,,,, they are making me go to court but i wont be charged that i DO know as i have proof im insured,,,, hence ive got me car back,,, its the charge ive got for it im pissed about, i know WHY its happend,,,, just it seems there more interested in the technicality than the fact THERES A BLOKE WHOS FOLLOWING THE LAW AND THERE WAS A MISTAKE

it happens alot aswell i was told and they ALL have to pay,,, and are told to take it up with your insurance ???

you need genuine documents to get the car back too,,,,,, not a fax/copy so you have to wait to recive them ( or drive to hampsire like i did to collect them )

seems somewhat unfair,,,, the cash bothers me but tbh i can afford to loose it anyway,,,, its the way ive been treated,,,, AND THE VOSA TEST that would have ment it gets recoved on a truck had it failed and more hassle

its fucked up when you have to deal with this shite
Old 05-07-2008, 10:53 PM
lil_me

You need a letter from your insurer stating that you would have been covered if you were involved in an accident with your car insured through them with an incorrect reg number, or it'll be classed as you were driving without insurance because the certificate/policy is wrong. Nasty but true, you weren't insured if it wasn't correct (there are lots of people every year don't get payouts because there is an error of the reg number or car type 'an IS not an SI' for example)

I've driven uninsured for a week, totally unaware, I phoned to add me to my partners policy and whoever I spoke to didn't put it through properly, when no paperwork arrived a week later I called them and found out. It was investigated and call records proved I was right and they'd have had to pay out if I'd had an accident, but if I had I wonder if that recording would have gone missing to save them ££ ?

Last edited by lil_me; 05-07-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

fuck that,,,,, the police kept telling me this,,, surely when i go to court and its proven the reason then they HAVE to accept it,,,,, i paied my insurance and the reg on the cert is 1 digit out,,, and the reg on it is not the same car either !!!!,,,, so it shows that i DID have insurance for the vehile on the cert,, just the reg is wrong but im insured on the car NOT the reg i would have thought

i can see me spending another night in the holding cells soon as i aint fucking paying that one !!
Old 05-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Ian M500COS
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I had a similar prob years ago, after getting points on my licence for speeding and the DVLA apparently sent out my revised licence to me but it never arrived!

When i got pulled over for various producers I could never actually produce the licence cos I physiucally didnt have it. Went to court 3 times for the same thing just to piss em around as i said it want my fault the DVLA couldnt organise a bun fight in a bread factory. It was only when the judge threatened to revoke my licence that i bit the bullet and had to pay for another licence - though my cheque was accompanied by the most snottiest letter!!

This place is indeed truly fucked up. When the police or dvla computer says no, they just dont want to know, there is just no flexibility! And of course anything to get more money in...the xmas party at your local plod will be a cracker this year!!

Cunts.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:02 PM
mark
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you not look at the cert when you got it like thay ask you to make sure all the info is right on it

how long have you had it with the wrong reg number on it ?

not much you can do m8
Old 05-07-2008, 11:06 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

but its your fault you never checked the details on the policy and ammended them when you first took out the insurance.and i imagine thats what the insurance company will tell you . the reg distinguishes the car thats insured and if its down wrong ....although the insurers database should have flagged up that the reg either didnt exist or not for that type of car....
common sense and understanding doesnt come onto it as far as the courts are concerned . judge will look at it and probably sympathise but has to sentence you within guidlines set out in black and white for that offence.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:10 PM
Elwood
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Ginge,

Circumstance has worked against you here. If you had been stopped during the day, this would have been cleared up with a simple phone call to the insurance company.

The officer(s) who dealt with you at the time had no other option but to seize the vehicle - according to the motor insurers database, you were uninsured.

The responsibility lays here with you. It's your car, so you have to check all the documentation which relates to it is correct. I expect you'll have no joy in complaining to your insurane company either, because when the certificate and other bumph was sent to you, there would have been a line written somewhere similar to:

"Please check that all documents are correct, otherwise you may find that your insurance is void and that you risk prosecution" or similar.

You're most likely going to have to pay the recovery costs and chalk it up to experience.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:11 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Fuck me mate, when this happen? Not on the way home from seeing me the other night?
Old 06-07-2008, 07:10 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing you get in your hand from the insurance costs are a bit of paper, I always check mine as it is worth so much money!!
Cops were doing thier job, if you had an accident the insurance company could wriggle out of it, and if they have a way out they will take it.
Cops are only interested in easy pickings I do agree, but this was handed to them on a plate.
tabetha
Old 06-07-2008, 08:21 AM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Have you taxed the car since you've had this insurance?
Either online or Post Office?

Old 06-07-2008, 08:42 AM
Adam.
Needs Beer Tokens.....

As much as the police are cocks most the time, i have had 1 or 2 fair ones, (yes they do exist!) i remember we were driving to Weston Super Mud one weekend when my mates tax disc fell off and flew out the window!.
Anyways we got pulled and explained it had flown out the window earlier that day (even to me it sounds like a blaitant lie!) but he said he would let us on our way and if we didnt have a tax disc we would be receiving a letter in the post
Old 06-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Micky The Finn
Former Sponsor

www.ipcc.gov.uk

i got great service from these guys.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:57 AM
DangerousBryan
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

sorry ginge but if the reg was different on the certificate to what it was on the car then technically your not insured for that car. at least you didn't have the same plate on that you had in germany.lol bit of a shitter about the storage costs when it wasn't even in storage though!
here's another one for you.mate with a redtop cavalier sri thats been sorned for 2 years. moves it to the bottom of his drive to do some work on it,then moves it back up the drive again when he has done,but doesn't quite get it back to the top and one wheel is still on the pavement/road.he lives in a cul de sac so no one can just drive past really. comes home one day to find a dvla clamp on it! has to pay £200 to get it taken off just cos one wheel is not on his drive.

bryan
Old 06-07-2008, 09:23 AM
RS 5tu

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thats why people hate the police, They fuck up and you have to pay and pick up the pieces but god for bid you want there help when you car gets robbed or broken into they never even turned up for me
Old 06-07-2008, 09:28 AM
DaveZS
Better use my strong hand

Originally Posted by RS 5tu
Thats why people hate the police, They fuck up and you have to pay and pick up the pieces but god for bid you want there help when you car gets robbed or broken into they never even turned up for me
How have the police fucked up?
Old 06-07-2008, 09:29 AM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

It's the insurance company that's at fault, so why not name & shame who you're insured with?
Old 06-07-2008, 09:30 AM
RS 5tu

So did they not get the info wrong? I am sure he said it went to the impound and he had to pay to get the car back that shouldn't have been there in the first place.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:32 AM
RS 5tu

Ahh so it would show up on there computer as no insurance i see now...
Old 06-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Stoo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by RS 5tu
They didn't fuck up, his insurance company did and so did he by not checking his documents. The police have done nothing wrong.

I can't see you getting very far trying to claim your money back. I'd just take it on the chin as a lesson learned.

Edit: Whoops, too slow. Started a reply and went for a pee lol

Last edited by Stoo; 06-07-2008 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:33 AM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Originally Posted by TurboShed
It's the insurance company that's at fault, so why not name & shame who you're insured with?
and why is it the insurance companys fault? mistakes can happen from either party when buying insurance over the phone or from someone typing in the wrong detail online but its the persons own responsability to check all details are correct on the policy when received.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:36 AM
RS 5tu

Just to quick to blame the police, I am in court coz of mr plod for a number plate offence i hope i win Trivial too .
Old 06-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Mr C
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Ian M500COS
If that were me i would not let that drop until i was dead!

Write a letter to the Chief Cuntstable, to your local MP, to the Police Complaints Commission and to your insurance company but do not let this drop!! Even if you didnt get your money back, it would cause some grief for the plod as all complaints have to be looked into!!
send one every week to different people without fail till you get your impound charges dropped or reduced- though what you were told was probably thought to be true- it was in their system and it WAS going to pound. But so far as the actual crime- you were guilty of not checking your documents, gutted.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:43 AM
DaveZS
Better use my strong hand

As tabetha said, your insurance cerificate is all you get from them. I pay just over £1k for mine, i'm damn sure i'm going to check it over to make sure its correct.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:55 AM
1.9 xr2 on 40's
st170 breaking

i take away uninsured cars for the local plod, this happens fuckin loads (compiter says no but people really do have ins and pick up that next morning moaning)

generally you pay and you bend over but some people do start proceedings against the copper (as they did protest there innocence and was proved right)

but you technically wertnt insured if the reg on the ins doc wasnt right so i doubt you will get far with it tbh

lots of people do say they are ins but never are too tho

if the car stays for a month we crush it, crushed some nice cars but i raid em 1st and sometimes banger race em round the yard and set off the airbags
last week we undid the wheel nuts on a fiesta and drove it round the yard then totalled it with a vectra

v6 mondeo, 2x cossie granada, escort van and some other crappers next week, leather will look good in my shed shame the engines are too much hassle to get out

Last edited by 1.9 xr2 on 40's; 06-07-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:56 AM
arch

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ginge,
Sorry fella, I think you are pissing in the wind on this one. As to why you could not get your car back sooner, once it's been 'impounded', ie, recovery requested thats it. The recovery operator wants his money so your car is going. Once it's recovered off the road then any arguments over time scales etc are between you and them, not us.

If it was to happen with us, then its £105 recovery plus £12 storage, these prices are set by the recovery operator. If we get it wrong then you can claim the money back, (but you still have to pay it initially), and then WE have to pay the recovery people £65.

So, police do not gain financially out of it.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:12 AM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

What i dont get is why didnt the insurance company pick up on it as im pretty sure when they put the reg number in now it gives them the vehicle details, so should tally them up and confirm with the customer that there correct. Unless of course the incorrect reg number is exactly the same make model and colour?

It is wrong if you dont get your money back though, especially when you can rob £200 worth of goods from a shop and probably get a fine of £20 or something stupid. Doesnt make any sense.

Quick Reply: car impounded for no insuance