General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

car impounded for no insuance

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 10:46 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by DangerousBryan
sorry ginge but if the reg was different on the certificate to what it was on the car then technically your not insured for that car. at least you didn't have the same plate on that you had in germany.lol bit of a shitter about the storage costs when it wasn't even in storage though!
here's another one for you.mate with a redtop cavalier sri thats been sorned for 2 years. moves it to the bottom of his drive to do some work on it,then moves it back up the drive again when he has done,but doesn't quite get it back to the top and one wheel is still on the pavement/road.he lives in a cul de sac so no one can just drive past really. comes home one day to find a dvla clamp on it! has to pay £200 to get it taken off just cos one wheel is not on his drive.

bryan
if you move the car onto your driveway fullt, with the clamp on it, would that make it legal for you to cut it off?
and then claim that "someone" moved your car without your knowledge to put it on the road to clamp it and you have mearly moved it back to it's original position?

but yes, it's all fucked up
Old 06-07-2008, 10:52 AM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj
if you move the car onto your driveway fully, with the clamp on it, would that make it legal for you to cut it off?
No, it's not your clamp and you don't have permission to damage it, or even move it.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:53 AM
dojj

Originally Posted by arch
Ginge,
Sorry fella, I think you are pissing in the wind on this one. As to why you could not get your car back sooner, once it's been 'impounded', ie, recovery requested thats it. The recovery operator wants his money so your car is going. Once it's recovered off the road then any arguments over time scales etc are between you and them, not us.

If it was to happen with us, then its £105 recovery plus £12 storage, these prices are set by the recovery operator. If we get it wrong then you can claim the money back, (but you still have to pay it initially), and then WE have to pay the recovery people £65.

So, police do not gain financially out of it.
so he needs to claim off of the recovery company then?
how likely are they to cough up though?

Originally Posted by S1rst
What i dont get is why didnt the insurance company pick up on it as im pretty sure when they put the reg number in now it gives them the vehicle details, so should tally them up and confirm with the customer that there correct. Unless of course the incorrect reg number is exactly the same make model and colour?

It is wrong if you dont get your money back though, especially when you can rob £200 worth of goods from a shop and probably get a fine of £20 or something stupid. Doesnt make any sense.
the thing that, as the saying goes, "boils my piss" is that if they decide that you aren't legit there is fuck all you can do about it

in gine's case, even after he's got the docs to proove that the car is insured etc he's still got to wait 3 hours for some fuckwit to bring the car to where ever it's going to from where it was taken from him and then py out for all this lot

the insurance certificate being wrong should be sorted by the insurance company

i have heard a tale from someone who's insruance company fucked him over for something so, when his car got broken into once (legitamnatly) he claimed for all sorts of stuff whihc not only covered him for the cost of the policy, but also for the cost of the fuck up they had fucked him over for plus any money that would have covered him for an increase in his policy after having had a claim

it's not right but i can understand why he did it

name and shame the insurance company ginge
Old 06-07-2008, 10:54 AM
dojj

Originally Posted by focusv8
No, it's not your clamp and you don't have permission to damage it, or even move it.

but you could dismanlte your car to remove the clamp and then leave it outside on the pavement whitout breaking any laws right?
Old 06-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XRT_si
Fuck me mate, when this happen? Not on the way home from seeing me the other night?

yeah, had a bit of running about to do that was JUST finished PMSL

just a pisser i had to walk to kilburn cause i left my wallet at work,,,,, wish i took cash off you know pmsl
Old 06-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

i understand the " techincal things to it,,,,,, just pissed that i payed for insurance and due to human error,,,, a GENUINE MISTAKE that ive had to suffer this, ok the time i agree with but the charges fucking suck due toi me ALREADY PAYING FOR INSURANCE

im gonna write to a few places,,, cant see why the insurance company NEVER noticed the car reg was for a fucking ford transit and NOT a impreza,,,,, seems strange they cant tell that when taking out the policy tbh
Old 06-07-2008, 11:36 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginge !
cant see why the insurance company NEVER noticed the car reg was for a fucking ford transit and NOT a impreza,,,,, seems strange they cant tell that when taking out the policy tbh
direct line just ask me my reg and then tell me what car and colour it is from that, so some insurers can.

nevertheless, when your insurance certificate is sent to you, they specifically say in the letter that you should check it. you didn't, tough shit. think yourself lucky that you have found out this way and not after a serious accident - particularly one that could have happened in germany (and even worse if you were not using the correct number plates as indicated by a post above)
Old 06-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

mate you seem to miss the point though, i AM insured for the car im driving,,,, the reg on the docs was WRONG,,,, its a simple error that happens ALOT

NOW i should have checked the docs BUT as i got them BEFORE i collected the car i over looked it,,,, being its a new car and all that

the plan was to put my private plate on it,,, i just aint had time due to work and other commitments,,, i dont have a job where i can chill for a bit to sort out stuff and when i finish work i do other stuff,,,, aslong as i am covered thats all i care about

i was having money removed from my account for my old insurance for over a year after it finished and i was told i should have noticed it by my bank...... it seems that EVERYONE is ment to worry about shite rather than enjoy life,,,,,, maybe i have other stuff going on in my life that i overlook things,,,,, but IMO aslong as i get what is required then i dont bother with stuff

i dont read my credit card statments as i KNOW what i spend on them,,,,, i dont read my bank statments cause i check if theres money in there,,, if there is then i dont care what i spend each month,,,,, if i did then fuck me would i be suprised

i live life to enjoy, buy what i wish rather than worry about stuff that could happen
Old 06-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj
but you could dismanlte your car to remove the clamp and then leave it outside on the pavement whitout breaking any laws right?
Private clampers you can do this as long as you return the clamp undamaged and much to their disgust they can't do a thing about it. If it's a police clamp then attempting to remove it is an offense on it's own
Old 06-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Oranoco
Private clampers you can do this as long as you return the clamp undamaged and much to their disgust they can't do a thing about it. If it's a police clamp then attempting to remove it is an offense on it's own
i was gonna type this

this also includes council clamps,,, aslong as its not damaged then theres nothing they can do

think DVLA and police are a offence though, car tax clamping is customs aint it ?
Old 06-07-2008, 01:00 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

mate you seem to miss the point though, i AM insured for the car im driving,,,, the reg on the docs was WRONG,,,, its a simple error that happens ALOT

NOW i should have checked the docs BUT as i got them BEFORE i collected the car i over looked it,,,, being its a new car and all that

the plan was to put my private plate on it,,, i just aint had time due to work and other commitments,,, i dont have a job where i can chill for a bit to sort out stuff and when i finish work i do other stuff,,,, aslong as i am covered thats all i care about

i was having money removed from my account for my old insurance for over a year after it finished and i was told i should have noticed it by my bank...... it seems that EVERYONE is ment to worry about shite rather than enjoy life,,,,,, maybe i have other stuff going on in my life that i overlook things,,,,, but IMO aslong as i get what is required then i dont bother with stuff

i dont read my credit card statments as i KNOW what i spend on them,,,,, i dont read my bank statments cause i check if theres money in there,,, if there is then i dont care what i spend each month,,,,, if i did then fuck me would i be suprised

i live life to enjoy, buy what i wish rather than worry about stuff that could happen
but then the argument is if you cant be bothered to check your own stuff then why should others be held liable?
Old 06-07-2008, 01:04 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

i was gonna type this

this also includes council clamps,,, aslong as its not damaged then theres nothing they can do

think DVLA and police are a offence though, car tax clamping is customs aint it ?
what if you remove the wheel but leave the clamp attached to it and leave it on the road where it was parked? youve not removed the clamp but removed the car? obviously this could only be realistically done on clamped for untaxed scrap cars .
Old 06-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzy
but then the argument is if you cant be bothered to check your own stuff then why should others be held liable?
you shouldnt have to check...

You call them up, give them the reg details etc, it is their duty to make sure its correct. Bet the premium you pay isnt for a transit van..!

good luck getting the cash back though Ginge... no chance. I remember when they took my mates car.. the money they wanted to get it back off of them was more than the value of the car... so he left it
Old 06-07-2008, 01:10 PM
lardypants
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they put the clamp chain round rear of strut too ive erm cough cough had to relieve a few in my time for ppl, now i just use a spec lift truck.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:31 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Originally Posted by Westy
you shouldnt have to check...
true, but to avoid situations such as this and any other possible get out clauses they can use a few seconds checking a couple of bits of paper isnt to much of a hardship .
Old 06-07-2008, 02:17 PM
lil_me
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

You could ask them to check the call records for when you arranged your insurance if you believe you gave the correct details, if you gave the correct details and they have made a mistake you may be able to claim something from them, it of course doesn't take away the fact you have to check they are correct by law, but might be worth finding out for when you go to court.

(With regards to the insurance having the number so should know the car -- one of my cars the details are wrong for the reg number on several sites, confused and gocompare it comes up completely different on so I wouldn't like them to take the details just going off the reg number)
Old 06-07-2008, 02:18 PM
glancy2081
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

cant believe you are complaining about this it is your responsibility to check your details are correct i would just be happy not to have recieved 6 points or a ban

Last edited by glancy2081; 06-07-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:22 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

im not blaiming anyone at all, im pissed that i had to pay to get me car back when i PROVED i was insured but was a mistake

as said the car was insured BEFORE i collected the car, the car was then collected but forms where signed before i collected it

my beef is the policys they have to get the car back BEING LEGAL, such as having to drive to hampshire for the certificate or pay storage over the weekend till i recived it in the post

mistakes should be allowed,,, as they happen and the fact is IM INSURED FFS

thats the part that anoys me, i pay ALOT of money to insure a 330bhp subaru impreza in north london,,,, 3 times as much as my BMW infact yet i still have to pay the fine AND storage for car that WASNT in the pound at the time
Old 06-07-2008, 02:25 PM
pa_sjo
Colossal Pervert

You keep on saying that you were insured, but technically you were not.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by glancy2081
cant believe you are complaining about this it is your responsibility to check your details are correct i would just be happy not to have recieved 6 points or a ban
#
WTF, im insured,,,, why do people not understand that the car was taken off me for no insurance,,,, not for checking my documents and finding the reg is wrong, if it wa day time they would have called the company and confirmed the mistake and sent me on my way but to get it sorted

if i was in the wrong, yeah id accept it but i made a mistake,, just bought the car THEN went to insure it,,,,, wasnt like i knew the reg of the car,, i seen the car for 30 mins so how am i gonna know fir sure what the reg is,,, insurance companys ASK for the reg to get the cars details,,,, this was the part i dont get !!!

i insured a reg of a transit for the rate of a STI impreza
Old 06-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by pa_sjo
You keep on saying that you were insured, but technically you were not.
mate i was paying insurance for a impreza sti, i was ALWAYS insured as i purchased it, the reg was 1 digit out but i WAS insured to drive a impreza STI
Old 06-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

if i wasnt insured then the policy would have had to be RESTARTED but it wasnt,, the reg was rectified and still the same start/end date on the policy !!!
Old 06-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

ginge, the thing you are missing is that you were not insured.

yes you had bought insurance, but it was not correct due to a cockup. due to this mistake you were uninsured, and the legal responsibilities lies with you.

as much as it isn't fair. legally, you're still wrong
Old 06-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

jim i WAS insured, ive had that confirmed by my insurance company !!!!

TECHNICALLY i wasnt,,, but i WAS as it was nothing but a error

NOT being insured is when you KNOWINGLY drive a car with no attempt to get insurance,, my NEW certificate starts and ends the same date and time !!!
Old 06-07-2008, 02:47 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

regarldess of this its definately not the polices fault as they are acting on the info they have for the reg they have in front of them so youll get nothing back from them.
what have your insurer said as regards to re imbursement of your costs?
Old 06-07-2008, 02:49 PM
DaveZS
Better use my strong hand

mate i was paying insurance for a impreza sti, i was ALWAYS insured as i purchased it, the reg was 1 digit out but i WAS insured to drive a impreza STI
Where do you draw the line then? 1 digit, 2 digits, 3?
The numberplate is either right or wrong. If its right then all is good, if it's wrong then technically your not insured.

I had something similar, used to have a private plate on a car that i changed over to the original. Had an mot done a few months later and i only looked on the invoice, which had my new numberplate. The actual mot certificate had the old numberplate prited on it though due to a cock up at dvla. Come to tax my car and i couln't as the reg didn't match up. Had to use up my own time to sort it out, but i should have checked in the first place really.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:00 PM
glancy2081
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

yes you were insured on a impreza with the reg on you documents, not the impreza you were driving around in as the reg was different. its as simple as that
Old 06-07-2008, 04:29 PM
dojj

the car is insured but because the reg isn't the same it's a technicality

you either get it or you don't, and i don't think a lot of poeple here do, but i'm not saying you is thick

it's not like buying a house and then moving in next door is it
Old 06-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by glancy2081
yes you were insured on a impreza with the reg on you documents, not the impreza you were driving around in as the reg was different. its as simple as that

there is NO SUCH IMPREZA WITH THAT REG !!! its a ford transit 2.5 the reg

its a mistake NOT me driving with no insurance, just a clerical mistake ffs, when i go to court we will see what they tell me,,,, i DID pay for the insurance,,, i took out insurance on the car i was driving, the reg is ALMOST the same,,,, the reg on the documents is NOT a impreza,,,,, the insurance company have changed the document and NOT canceled the policy,, just changed the wrong digit

so am i insured or not ???
Old 06-07-2008, 04:38 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

so that means you were insured to drive this transit but not your imprezza.
itll all become clear after your court visit.no one knows for sure how itll go .when is it?

Last edited by fuzzy; 06-07-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

aint got a clue, aint sent off the " i wish to waste my life attending court" part of the FPN

then ill just have to wait i guess
Old 06-07-2008, 04:54 PM
James-W
PassionFord Post Whore!!

so am i insured or not ???
No you are not.
Old 06-07-2008, 04:57 PM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just bend over and take it like a man Ginge.........you criminal
Old 06-07-2008, 05:02 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

what about getting a new set of number plates made up in the mistaken reg , fitting them and going around to tell the police its all been a misunderstanding as the reg matches the papers.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

ginge, PLEASE seek legal advise, dont try and do it all yourself as you'll get bummed by the magistrates.

also make sure your insurance company provides a letter in wirin detailing the mistake and saying 100% that you were insured by them on that car at that time. NOTHING you say will mean shit, its only that letter that will get you off
Old 06-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by fuzzy
what about getting a new set of number plates made up in the mistaken reg , fitting them and going around to tell the police its all been a misunderstanding as the reg matches the papers.
pointless now as ive got the correct reg on the certificate now pmsl

jim i aint silly, but i aint stupid either, ive been to court a few times before and know how it works
Old 06-07-2008, 06:11 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

what has your insurance company said about the matter?
Old 06-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

thye said get the old bill to call them and they will confirm you was insured and it was a genuine error

Quick Reply: car impounded for no insuance