General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

gym/ toning up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 11:27 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gym/ toning up?

ive started to going gym abit latel and ideally dont like to leave till i feel ive had a satisfactory work out although i keep aching, which i know is good. My question is should i rest when aching or work through it? i would like to tone up and have been working through it and having one day off in the week and weekends off, cheers
Old 11-03-2008, 06:40 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

you shouldn'#t be working through it as you are supposed to hit different parts of your body on alternate days and this gives you the chance for various parts of your body to recover

unles it's hurting because you are lifting too much at the start?

or perhaps you are not used to it?
Old 11-03-2008, 08:24 AM
squaddietrex
newbie to ford

u shud neva work through it m8 just like dojj sez, nd i must agree wiv dojj, i hav the same problem, but i find wen i finish in the gym get in the shower stretch it off coz its the best time to stretch as the muscles are far more relaxed, then my the morning it wont be aching as much as normal
Old 11-03-2008, 08:54 AM
foreverwhite
Banned
BANNED

the gym is such a complex sport...i dont have the patience to type out what you need to do/be careful of/eat/train like.

hope ive helped.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:52 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ive been aching due to pushing myself, i'd been trying not to leave till i felt id built up an ache so it felt i was achieving something, but takes a couple of days to recover
Old 11-03-2008, 05:57 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

rest and eating proper well help the recovery of the muscles mate,no other way im afraid,you risk damaging the muscle and slowing down any gains your gettin by overworking
Old 11-03-2008, 05:57 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The alternate idea of weights/CV does not work for everyone.
Is it an ache, or is it a cramp, if cramp best to work through it.
If an ache, change your routine, most gyms have swimming pools, so see if you can do that afterwards, as swimming great.
tabetha

Trending Topics

Old 11-03-2008, 10:19 PM
dojj

are you doing the proper warming up cycle of stuff and then repeating it afterwards to warm down?

sometimes the aches can be due to the build up of lactic acid in your system that you haven't flushed through, the same thing that causes the burn

but i honestly think it's probably just a case of starting to heavy bceause youmight be embaresed that you can only lift a certain amount of weights

don't worry, i can bench about 25 kgs and i've been doing it for ages
Old 11-03-2008, 10:34 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

its more the fact i push myself hard, to try and get in shape and work till i ache

i havent been lifting many realy heavy wieghts, practiced the bench press on around 60kg after i picked up tecnique, and max i lifted on it so far is 95 kg
Old 11-03-2008, 10:39 PM
dojj

you need a few weeks worth of "basic" moves to get your body used to the routine and the range of movement before you move onto free weights and stuff that is more complicated

don't over do it as if you start to feel the limits you need to start dropping the wieghts to finish the set off to keep going
Old 11-03-2008, 11:04 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i start on the wieght machines, working from reps of low wieghts and after each rep i up the wieght, then when tired start working back down the wieghts, i started of with the basic wieghts and was beginning not to ache so i upped them, what kind of diet helps witht the recovery? and whats good for loosing a tiny bit of wieght on the stamach? cradio or are there exercises ova than sit ups etc?
Old 11-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Jemma
Dan's Ass Kicker

95 kg I did 25kg this morn and nearly keeled over haha
Old 12-03-2008, 07:59 AM
dojj

Originally Posted by Jemma
95 kg I did 25kg this morn and nearly keeled over haha
join the club

right, about recovery, i've got a list of stuf you can do to aid recovery but they all tend to point out that you need to eat after a workout if you are knackered

there is also a guide to what proportions to eat but you need to eat 1 gram of protein for every lb of bodyweight and i think they mentienod 3 or 4 grams of carbs for every lb of bodywieght but i can't confirm this until i get back home tomorrow

the other thing that seems to be a bit of a talking point is soya products

there have been studies that have claimed they are not as good for you as some might believe but reports tend to be biased ebcause one guy who was doing the test was coming off anabolic steroids and skewed the figures, if you are taking whey products and you replace 50% of them with a soya product you will apparenty see no loss of the whey but the benifits of the soya

i'm sure there is a dedicated fitness room with all this info in it, you may be better of posting in there for what specific products work with what
Old 12-03-2008, 08:35 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by rst in progress
its more the fact i push myself hard, to try and get in shape and work till i ache

i havent been lifting many realy heavy wieghts, practiced the bench press on around 60kg after i picked up tecnique, and max i lifted on it so far is 95 kg
So is it actually a burn/ache because you've worked so hard. If so you are one of the few people who actually train properly.

Now just make sure you get the proper nutrients and rest before your next session!
Old 12-03-2008, 06:00 PM
JamboRS
focus rs 1672

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Paul Eggleton
So is it actually a burn/ache because you've worked so hard. If so you are one of the few people who actually train properly.

Now just make sure you get the proper nutrients and rest before your next session!
someone that actually knows what there talkin about
Old 12-03-2008, 07:15 PM
4x4
Advanced PassionFord User

ive been aching due to pushing myself, i'd been trying not to leave till i felt id built up an ache so it felt i was achieving something, but takes a couple of days to recover
well trained muscles will be sore for 3-4 days depending on how much nutrition you feed them. DON'T train sore muscles, let them recover properly before hitting them again or you wont see muscle gains.

also when in the gym DON'T do more than 12 sets on one muscle.

Overtraining is one of the biggest reasons alot of weight lifters in the gym dont see visible muscle gains.

also every 4-5 weeks have 6 days of the gym and keep changing your routine
Old 13-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

paul the man to listen to is paul egg, hes been doing it a while

also changine routine DOES help alot, ive been trying to get my back bigger for a while, ive joined a new gym thats just big weights and sterod gorillas in there ( hope non of you use it read this ) and my back is fucking killing me, but its growth pain rather than joint pain as ive been having that for a whlile too since i twisted my shoulder with a dumbell ( always get someone to squat you at all times when pushing big weights)
Old 13-03-2008, 10:17 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Paul Eggleton

cheers, yep, sometimes ache so bad that takes a few days lol, i push myself so i feel it work, when i get in the van afterards its hard to turn the wheel lol (no power steering) lol
Old 13-03-2008, 10:20 PM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

ALL YOUR QUESTIONS

ANSWERED

CLICK HERE
Old 13-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

paul thats cause your starting out though, thats ALL the muscles growing, small ones and big ones aswel as the joints getting used to it, give it 3 weeks then the normal gorwning pains will appear

when i first started out at the gym i couldnt straighten my arms due to the pain, i was lifting 25 litre drums of oil to stretch my arms as i needed to streach for it to heal qqucker !!!

these days i get pains but not for a few days like the first time, just sometimes im tight in the morning and need to get my heart rate up to loosen up,,,, its cool cause my little girl loves doing star jumps before school with daddy !!!
Old 13-03-2008, 10:25 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i want a toned bloody stomach and back, ive only got a little bit of a belly (not much though) but would like it toned up, i can feel the muscle but want the fat gone, whats best for that?
Old 13-03-2008, 10:29 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Ginge !
paul thats cause your starting out though, thats ALL the muscles growing, small ones and big ones aswel as the joints getting used to it, give it 3 weeks then the normal gorwning pains will appear

when i first started out at the gym i couldnt straighten my arms due to the pain, i was lifting 25 litre drums of oil to stretch my arms as i needed to streach for it to heal qqucker !!!

these days i get pains but not for a few days like the first time, just sometimes im tight in the morning and need to get my heart rate up to loosen up,,,, its cool cause my little girl loves doing star jumps before school with daddy !!!
i started over a month ago, i stopped aching so i then started pushing myself harder as i want to get in shape quickish
Old 13-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

sit ups, neck streches with your arse on your fist and legs together 6ins off the ground ( try it after 50 PROPER sit ups

i use a sit up bench and keep my chin up as if its being pulled up with a bit of string, that and twists, then between that i get a mate to bounce a medicine ball off my stomach then do another 10

oh and throw downs also with the medicin ball imbetween, that and the normal rop with weight behind head in a preying tyoe position

i do abs just cause i get alot of body shots in lick boxing these days and they all discovered its my weakest part !!!

dont show up as im still a fat cunt, but i can take a punch of a bloke whos a heavy weight boxer ( just about )
Old 13-03-2008, 10:46 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ive got a strong stomach, just want the ""excess muscle from there shifted lol
Old 13-03-2008, 10:52 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

best way mate

eat loads, but the right stuff

chicken fish salad etc keep the carbs down ie potatoes, but just exercise and eat loads of this stuff

my mate couldnt lose his belly ( he was 10% bodyfat anyway ) and lost it by cutting out bread

food for thought (excuse the pun )
Old 13-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

mate i primise you doing what im saying will develop it, i not got a weak stomach, but a kick of body blow when sparing takes the wind out of you upless you got a large muscle tisue to dampen the blow if you dont get time to tense it

i was told these excersies buy the others who have proper abs, unless you loose the fat content around the body you wont see it im afraid !!!

fat comes off in layers,,,, muscle will grow an the fat wil be like a jumper, some parts will be forced to move around when the muscle grows but uless you loose it you aint gonna see much !!!
Old 13-03-2008, 10:55 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

urrrm, i dont eat rabbit food lol, i love chicken though . is pasta a good ting to eat? thats prob half my prob, i havnt been eating much, just one meal a day at around 6pm, dont eat at work
Old 13-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

if yoou wanna get bigger you gotta eat !!!

though toning up is excersise with lighter weights to help speed it up !
Old 13-03-2008, 11:00 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

not so bothered about getting bigger, im shaping up already at a happy pace but belly just dont want to leave
Old 13-03-2008, 11:02 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

one meal a day will leave you fighting a losing battle

when i was training "half decent" my missus said she couldnt afford to keep me as i was eating about 5-6 meals a day
Old 13-03-2008, 11:13 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Stu.H
one meal a day will leave you fighting a losing battle

when i was training "half decent" my missus said she couldnt afford to keep me as i was eating about 5-6 meals a day
thats prob why im feeling weak , but if i eat and eat il be a fat fucker and still wont have lost my belly?
Old 13-03-2008, 11:20 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

wot foods are good then? being as a fairly fussy eater? cheers
Old 14-03-2008, 01:44 AM
4x4
Advanced PassionFord User

thats prob why im feeling weak , but if i eat and eat il be a fat fucker and still wont have lost my belly?
you wont get fat if you eat the right foods, the right amount at the right times.

YOU WILL NEVER LOOSE FAT FROM YOUR BELLY IF... you only do ab exercises, you will stregnthn, tone and build ab muscles but you wont loose the fat.

You have to look into different types of cardio work to burn fat. lay of all the soft drinks, chocs, crisps etc if your trying to burn every ounce of fat away.
Old 16-03-2008, 08:32 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

so do carbs repair ypur muscles or do they make you bigger/ fatter if not doing cardio too?