General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Panic Attacks

Search this Thread

Old 29-08-2006, 07:38 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Robbie D
warrenpenalver not in such great detail i kinda go blank and remember everything i want to say after. think i will print it off for him to read. my Dr's are the type that are diagnosing u as they are walking you out the door for the next patient if you know what i mean.
Sounds like you need to change doctor. I couldn't talk to my last doctor despite having felt suicidal for quite a while. The new doc is much better.

I suppose its all about trust. I didn't trust my old doctor enough to be able to open up without the fear of feeling stupid or silly, or that people would think less of me.

You need to find someone you can trust to talk to in that way. In some ways its easier with complete strangers as your subconcious opinions are not formed yet.

I still find it easier to type my thoughts here to people I in all honesty really don't know well, than so called friends. Even my family and work colleagues don't know.

Fears work in strange ways. the only way I rationalise it is that essentially it doesn't really matter if I became too ashamed to face people on this or other websites as i don't live with you. Where as with people I know I still think they will think less of me or be dissapointed or not understand.
Old 29-08-2006, 07:40 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sexy RS...i aint sure when its caused by drug taking...as you know whats caused it...yet it doesnt help.

Dont worry about drugs..the one for my asthma..which has cured me totally..touch wood it lasts...is in the FDA top 5 most dangerous drugs (i got mild asthma but anxiety aggrevates it and makes it FEEL worse than it is! )
Old 29-08-2006, 07:43 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Warren..i am feeling you...but i dont give 2 shits what people think now..its nothing to be ashamed of!...People actually take the piss and say i never leave the house...it does wind me up a little cause it once was very fucking true...maybe people will realise now...doubt it though as immaturity is rife on this board
Old 29-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by Sexy-RS
I went to the doctors a few years ago they gave me some sort of anti-depressents they use for pannick attacks and anxiety i started taking them then people told me all sorts of bad things about them and i typed them in the net on a search engine and read horror storys so i stopped.
Sideeffects are actually very rare. Although you only ever hear the horror stories. I had the same worries with my happy pills as you read the leaflet and to cover thier ass legally they basically put everything from death to headaches as a possible side effect. Hardly fills you with confidence so I got the doc to give me proper info. Also many of the drugs can take up to 4 weeks to havea positive effect. I have in 2 weeks felt no effect from my drugs.
Old 29-08-2006, 07:45 PM
Anonymous
Banned

..still i say fuck em...its me with a Ferrari,M3,Cossie and R1 ...never mind i cant use em too there full potensial
Old 29-08-2006, 07:47 PM
Hooligan
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dr.Phil you're such a TIT!

Needing to drink in the evening or needing to drink during the day: it's still a problem because you NEED to drink

Oh, and being depressed isn't nessecarily the same as being suicidal
Old 29-08-2006, 07:50 PM
Sexy-RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Hooligan

Needing to drink in the evening or needing to drink during the day: it's still a problem because you NEED to drink

A problem needing a few drinks a night is a problem i would rather have any day over anxiety attacks though as im sure others would. Unless you no how it actually feels to feel like you do, then anything that makes you feel better is good wether others say its bad or not!
Old 29-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Hooligan...when you aint got experience of what one goes thru,you cannot possibly comment..YES i need alcohol..so what I aint cured i cope...and that is the most important thing.
Old 29-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Diamonds.
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
Sideeffects are actually very rare. Although you only ever hear the horror stories. I had the same worries with my happy pills as you read the leaflet and to cover thier ass legally they basically put everything from death to headaches as a possible side effect. Hardly fills you with confidence so I got the doc to give me proper info. Also many of the drugs can take up to 4 weeks to havea positive effect. I have in 2 weeks felt no effect from my drugs.
thats what im worried about if i get some prescribed. im going to book the GP again tomorrow and go with my step dad they seem to do something when ya with someone else (well my GP)

just wanna get it sorted now as it fucking pisses me off. its affecting my work life and social life. its like when ya got a cold you cant remember how its like when your all ok but hopefully it will change back to the old me
Old 29-08-2006, 07:56 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

True but they are linked. You rarely find people who are suicidal and not depressed in some way. Some people go through bad depression experiences and never feel suicidal, some do.................

depression if left untreated is very dangerous, maybe not short term but long term over years.

My shrink reckons I have been depressed for at least 2 years and maybe more.

If you don't have someone to support you, be that family, friends, partners or even a padre or shrink its virtually impossible to get better.
Old 29-08-2006, 07:58 PM
Diamonds.
BANNED
BANNED

im drinking more now than i used to. i used to drink alot like night out etc but i take that as me growning up and that etc.

ive calmed down in the past year cause well i couldnt afford to do it lol

but now im drinking like right now too chill me out cause if not ill be all over the place. its not great drinking so much infact im sick of drinking but im also soooo fucked off of feeling dodgy too so hence i got the stella on the go..again

earlier today i had to pick my stepdad up it only a 10 min drive and local place ive always been to. got in the S2 which i love driving but started feeling crap after 3/4 mins. my heart was going nuts felt like i couldnt breathe and was going to pass out. i wanted to go home again. but i carried on and wasnt too bad in the end but was shaking to fuck. when i saw my stepdad i say the same thing as i always do "im ok aint i?" "i aint gonna die" sounds stupid but unless like a lot of you know you cant flick that switch in ya head that its a panic attack.
Old 29-08-2006, 09:29 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

but now im drinking like right now too chill me out cause if not ill be all over the place. its not great drinking so much infact im sick of drinking but im also soooo fucked off of feeling dodgy too so hence i got the stella on the go..again
It will become a habit then you'll depend on it to get by, so try and find another way. Hard as it sounds.
Old 29-08-2006, 09:42 PM
Diamonds.
BANNED
BANNED

i totally agree thats why i wanna get help now
Old 29-08-2006, 10:14 PM
v6matt
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Originally Posted by Sexy-RS
I dunno if i get panick attacks i would class them more of anxiety attacks. I get them when im worried or the worse is when i am hungover. I get really scared feel like i can't breath properly then i make it worse my self as im trying to make my self breath slowley and it makes me feel like i am going to have an ashma attack my i can't breath in and out properly just short breaths, i get a lump in my throat and feel as if i can't swallow properly then i keep trying to swallow and convince myself my throat is closing up, then my heart starts racing Stupid hey! Never found a cure just deal with its horrible tho I find its better if your around someone and i have to do things to take my mind of it get up move around do anythink, as the more i sit and think about it the worse i become lol

Don't no why i get them i put it down to, to many drugs when i was younger i don't do any now! And never smoke weed it makes you 10X worse trust me!
im exactly the same as most of u but sexy rs sounds about the same , i had to rush to the doctors cuz i didnt think id make it to the hospital,demanded to see any doctor couldnt breath sweatin pins and needls in my legs hands and face heart racing couldnt feel me legs i honestly thought i was goin to peg it, my bro drove me work that dayand i was just sittin down on site eating me grub when i had trouble breathing, just came out the blue, 15 mins later racing down the bypass asking my bro if anything happens to make sure my mrs n 2 little girls are looked after and that i love em, my life hasnt been the same since then,and yes i do drink probly more than i should, but it made me feel more chilled but i couldnt go on doin that i went back again to me gp after the first time and he prescribed me some shit and after lookin it up on the net found it was used to treat schitzos fuk that in the bin ,then he gave me something called peroxitine took 3 weeks to eventualy kick in and it did work ,but i didnt want to rely on pills, but its gotta be cheaper than stella ,
18mths down the line im loads better still a crap passenger unless ive been down the boozer,adn i went on a plane to gran canaria in july where as b4 a was a nervous wreck,

sorry to go on but im not the sort of person to talk to me m8s about it down the pub and its easyer to tap it in to a pc ,because unless its happened to you its hard to understand how it is ,the mrs didnt get it either, anyone whos struggling with things i know how it is theres thousands the same and theres light at the end of the tunnel

sorry for the essay
matt
Old 29-08-2006, 10:18 PM
Diamonds.
BANNED
BANNED

mate nothing wrong with that what you wrote. i felt it was good that it want just me going fruit loop.

i was reluctant to put about it but i did and im glad cause im learning things on here and im sure other are aswell.

good on ya
Old 29-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

I must admit i find it easier coming on here and speaking about it.

When i was told off doc it was Panic / Axiety i thought what the hell, had never hard of anyone having it around me, but its quite mad how many ppl actually suffer from it.

I feel it helps me to talk about it and find out how other ppl deal with it.

Dave dont understand that well, bless him, but he dont know how i'm feeling, but hes always there to support me.
Old 29-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Its good talking on the computer. So much easier than in person. Also when you get a keyboard warrior who pisses you off your less likely to end up in prison whereas if its in person I know there would have been a good kicking dished out!!

Unfortunately keyboard warriors can make you do this:

Maybe I should get anger management
Good job I hadn't sold my old one yet.

The other thing about the net is you can use pictures to explain how you feel which is so much easier.

These ones some up how I feel a lot:

Old 29-08-2006, 10:46 PM
v6matt
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

i found the best thing for me was to keep busy at work, and i got me rot box to work on so i kept pretty busy,your not the only one chap, bet theres a lot more than u think that are probarbly aquaintances of yours that the same, as most blokes/women,its not pub talk so to speak. that medication i was on wasnt adictive or any side effects with me personaly but it did help ,i was worried bout being dependant on anything,me sister in law is terrible she cant go in any social situation without geting parranoid and having to leave, she couldnt even sit round me mums for christmas dinner with her family one year,god knows what she was on she always looked smacked out her skull, but shes got through it now and we had each other to talk to so its not like we was dealin with it on our own,shes doin well now so alls good
i agree with boschman where early drug use hasnt helped me, e's n acid in the early 90s has probarbly took its toll,me own fault gotta deal with it ,hope whoever is mental like me gets to grips with it goin to see your gp is the best thing you can do ,good luck
Old 29-08-2006, 11:56 PM
Treen

earlier today i had to pick my stepdad up it only a 10 min drive and local place ive always been to. got in the S2 which i love driving but started feeling crap after 3/4 mins. my heart was going nuts felt like i couldnt breathe and was going to pass out. i wanted to go home again. but i carried on and wasnt too bad in the end but was shaking to fuck. when i saw my stepdad i say the same thing as i always do "im ok aint i?" "i aint gonna die" sounds stupid but unless like a lot of you know you cant flick that switch in ya head that its a panic attack.
First off - well done you for carrying on and not turning back thats one of the biggest things - turn back once - and you remember it and it makes you reluctant to go out. The fact that you carried on and nothing happened to you (as in your head you thought something might), it should encourage you. Everytime we overcome something like that - it gives us hope and encourages to push forward - whereas if we turn back - it stays with us and we remember it and avoid the situation in future.

I think one of the worst things are 'planned' things. If you know you have to go out at a certain time to meet/pick up someone - you spend ages leading up to it worrying about it - it's easier to just so something on the spur of the moment - no time to think about it.

Thats how I am anyway.

I don't care what anybody says - alcohol IS NOT the solution to anything. You may forget stuff for a while but its only temporary and once it wears off - it creates a bigger low than you started with - hence people feeling worse when hungover.

The biggest thing about panic attacks it the feeling of losing control - if you're in control - it's easier - alcohol makes you lose control , as do certain drugs. The drugs I was prescribes (theres been a few different ones) - made me numb and feeling totally out of control - and that scared me more.

Rob - MAKE your doc refer you to a counsellor (sp) or your local group of MIND - if he won't - ask to see another doc!!

This kind of thing is a serious disablilty - but because it's a mental illness it gets overlooked - you'd get more sympathy if you couldn't go out because you had a broken leg - and thats so so wrong.
Old 30-08-2006, 12:18 AM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Can't be bothered to read all that but as for the the Panic+ Anxiety, i know someone who had this for a couple of years and used a pack that you can get on Amazon. Not cheap but the English guy who come up with it used to have it and has been on Radio, ITv and has centres in UK and USA. Read the reviews of his pack and the methods is meant to work for even the most serious of sufferers. Sells on Amazon US too but watch it as there is a lot of other crap out there that costs or is free.

What i do know is that going to the doctor over and over again is the worst thing you can do, so to is taking pills. The medication stops it a bit but after you stop the medication it comes back as you remove the block of wood between brain and nerves. Counceiling and congnitive theapy is again useless and you keep digging it up instead of burying it and moving on. Alcohol and Caffeine also will also make you worse in the long run. Cut those things out your life but gradually if your heavy on them.

If you have a fear of snakes or heights and come face with them and think about them all the time what happens? Apparently distraction and correct breathing is the key, but more complex. You have to unlearn the habbit or reaction you have learnt. Its not an illness as such.

http://www.thelindenmethod.co.uk/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/-Linden-Meth...UTF8&s=gateway
Old 30-08-2006, 12:25 AM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Bosch-Man
..a real panic attack is when you feel you are goin to die..simple as that.

Wrong! Panic attacks is quiet a generic field and can involve many things. Some people do think they will die buit that does not mean its the worse kind. Some people get Agoraphobia, social phobia, depersonalisation, derealiasation, OCD etc etc.

Each person opr sufferer is different.
Old 30-08-2006, 12:27 AM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Default Re: Panic Attacks

i dont want to become agoraphobic (not wanting to leave my house) but im starting to get that way.

Rob

Agoraphobia is not just about the house of fear of outdoor or large spaces but can also be about large crowds etc etc.
Old 30-08-2006, 09:09 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by skeg
If you have a fear of snakes or heights and come face with them and think about them all the time what happens? Apparently distraction and correct breathing is the key, but more complex. You have to unlearn the habbit or reaction you have learnt. Its not an illness as such.
True but you can never get rid of the fear 100% IMO. Especially if it has a bad memory attached to it. Irrational fears are a bit easier to deal with. I'm afraid of hieghts but I have become comfortabel with the fear through repeated exposure. I couldn't go onto roofs of big buildings without being in constant fear of falling. Standing near the edge made me feel ill and my knees used to go weak.

My solution was to buy abseilling gear and start doing that. I started by building confidence doing it indoors down the middle of the building stair well (strangely hieghts indoors wern't a problem!). Then moving outdoors and abseiling from the roof. Took me a good hour just to get over the edge. I just kept doing it and now I can do it without feeling afraid. Yes my heart still races when I'm near an edge or as i go over, but there's no thoughts attached to it now. I've even done a charity abseil and bungy jumped off a crane. I intedn to do parachuting when I get the opportunity at some time, although I still reackon you might have to push me out the door!!!
Old 30-08-2006, 09:38 AM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

Firstly, well done to everyone who has posted about probs, ones that stuck out to me were Robbie, Helen, Rudey and Phil.

Phil, have actually seen a different side to you than normal, most interesting.

I had a major fear of flying for a good few years, I won't go as far as phobia although at the time I believed it was. Looking back now, it was anxiety and fear of "what if"

I am a strong person personality wise and like nothing more than to challenge myself so my flying thing was a good example. I had a fear of heights for a number of years for no reason (hadnt fallen/slipped/seen anyone fall). I used to ride rollercoasters etc at any theme park visit.

Went on a trip to Benidorm in 1996 during half term (10 years ago Oct actually) and on the way back, had a bumpy landing in Bournemouth. Again looking back now, nothing major just some air pockets but being a first time flier, they un-nerved me. For the next four years I went to Heathrow Airport maybe once every 2-3 months. I would park up and wander round amongst all the passengers. Obviously couldnt go any futher than passport control but then used to outside and sit amongst the anoraks with their binoculars!

Weighing on my mind for a lot of years, since 1988 actually was wanting to visit Australia. It seemed at lots of opportunities, Australia was presented to me. Moved house and the previous owner travelled there regularly so there were stickers on his kids bedroom doors, mate from school joined my school from Australia, guy at work lived here etc etc

Speaking from experience, the desire to travel to Australia got so strong, it developed into a frustration over anxiety until one day, I flew. I met a girl and flew her to meet here during my uni holidays. I wasnt well off, was in the middle of uni so not ready to move but the time just came.

I am still not a big fan of flying but I do fly. Since 2001, I have flown 6 times to the UK, Thailand and more times internally in Australia than I can count.

With flying, I am so happy that I flew at 20 and not 50. I got to Australia for that first time and couldnt stop smiling, not only because I was here but because I had beaten the biggest obsticle in my life.

Now I realise some of what has been said in this thread is far more serious than mine but most things can be overcome.

My tips

On the day, excitement will far outweigh and concern/anxiety, I will say 99% of the time. The anxiety will come for the trip home when you dont have something to look forward to such as work. Breathing deeply helps so much. In the seat on the plane, put your hands flat on your legs, dont fold them as it makes you more tense, dont close your eyes on takeoff as it can throw your balance and a final tip, look around and see what other people are doing (reading, talking, looking out the window). Pick up on the vibe and honestly, it is not that bad. A train is more bumpy than most flights I have been on.

HTH someone
Old 30-08-2006, 05:49 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
Originally Posted by skeg
True but you can never get rid of the fear 100% IMO. Especially if it has a bad memory attached to it. Irrational fears are a bit easier to deal with. I'm afraid of hieghts but I have become comfortabel with the fear through repeated exposure. I couldn't go onto roofs of big buildings without being in constant fear of falling. Standing near the edge made me feel ill and my knees used to go weak.

Well people out there do get over it but its all about how you go about it. The example about snakes and heights was just to highlight that if you think about it it will become worse. The same as if you split up with a girl, talking about it all the time makes you worse when really you need to take your mind off it and move on.

People have all these panic troubles because they are worried about whatever situation it is they suffer with and like the original poster said end up worse because they avoid the situation in order to not get it. So you no longer is about fear of the situation but fear of getting the fear, lol. That is what hampers your life.

Find something that you concentrate on fully like and activity, hobby and you won't feed it. You won't notice it. Same with the inital feelings, if you feel them then think of something else or do a math puzzle in your head. Do this long enough and your habbit, your way of thinking is UN- learnt. People aren't born with it they just get it after something occurs in their life. So it can be reversed too. The key with correct breathing is not to take shallow breaths that are rapid but slower slightly deeper ones but release slowly, Don't take deep breaths, too many people think this relaxes you but it actually makes you more tense.
Old 31-08-2006, 08:19 AM
PETESTURBO
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Default Panic Attacks

Don't slate me for what I write here I am no expert on this subject but even if this helps one person my opinion is worth it and I should know.
I won't go into personal details but I suffered extremely badly for appx 8 years and still get the occasional "rush" even now.
At the age of 20 I had a near death experience which turned my life upside down. from that day I had massive attacks up to 10 times a day to the point I couldn't see the point of carrying on with life,I hated waking up in the morning and just wanted to sleep to get away from my now normality gettin pissed sometimes for a temporary cure.
Then I lost my best mate to cancer if things couldn't get any worse.
I was a walking skinny wreck!!! Took days and weeks off work in financial shit and was paranoid of absolutely everyone.
I was pumping beta blockers like nothing else my GP was absolutely crap !!!!
I woke up one day and thought enough is enough.
I had no money no life fuck all. I took out a loan and paid for counciling but hey if it didn't work I could always kill myself and not have to pay the loan back.
The advice i was given was confront any fears you have,you may panic but it will not hurt you,repeat this until you panic no more and acknowledge this and think to yourself "I have done this"
I had to start with walking out the front door ffs.
I was told not to hide my problem from anyone,it is unbelievable how may people actually suffer from them.
It has been 10 years since I had a major attack to the point I actually do things that I wouldn't of even dreamed of doing before I had the first attack,
roller coasters,track days on motorbikes etc.
NOTHING CAN SCARE ME MORE THAN PANIC ATTACKS.
At the end of the day it is your mind playing nasty tricks on you.
You just need to reasure yourself you are not going to get hurt.
It is along hard process but keep trying and trying and trying and never give up and I hope for everyone that suffers with this cruel problem you will eventually get better.
Do not avoid any situations,if you feel scared don't ovoid the situation think to yourself ok not this time but I will try again soon and when you actually manage to complete your goal praise yourself and think "I DID IT" then do it again and again you may feel nervous at first but it gets better to the point it becomes normal again.
I found talking to other people the most important remedy and never bottle things up, be assertive,don't worry what other people think of you and tell yourself every day that you are special.Don't worry about what you don't have, look at what you have got now (not material things) and build on that and become a stronger person.
Thanks for listening and good luck
Pete.
P.S the loan has been paid off
Old 31-08-2006, 09:43 AM
cabrio zo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Location: Sudbury Suffolk, Drives: Octavia VRS & XR2i 1800 Zetec track car

My partner has only suffered one panic attack in the years we have been together, I don’t think he can explain what brought previous ones on, its very strange he doesn’t suffer from them in every day life so to speak.
Out of the blue on our return flight from Menorca this year he was sick at take off, the rest of the flight proceeded to be in and out of consciousness on the floor of the back of the plane, shaking so much I thought he was having a fit, which in turn gave him so bad chest pains I though he was having a heart attack, he kept looking to the door of the plane as if wanted to get out and passed out every time the plane moved, I think the thought of having a bad flight and how he’d react brought on the attack – thank god it was only a 2 hour flight, the worst two hours ever.

I don’t think anyone can really explain, it’s a totally irrational fear you feel at the time, you know it but it doesn’t make it any better. I think it a long process of building up confidence and relaxation which then finally realise there is nothing to be scared of (easier said than done eh).
Unfortunately alcohol can make you depressed, especially when you stop for a few days, bit of a vicious circle

YOU WILL GET THROUGHT IT! Going to pick your step dad up should be seen a great achievement, small things day to day will gradually build up and soon you’ll realise just how much you have achieved.

Chin up all of you it will get better, it may be a long road and it wont be easy, you’ll have up and down days, just learn to ride over the bad, good luck

Z
Old 09-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Mike C
The Special One

I'm sorry to bring up a really old thread, but I thought it'd be better than starting a new one after reading this.

I've suffered from panic attacks from an early age, and still get them regularly, although the last couple of years they'd not been as bad as they used to be.

But then, last night, I had by far the worst panic attack I've ever had. That feeling people have mentioned, as if you think you're going to die, even if there's no rational reason as to why you would, it was just like that.

It all kicked off about 8pm.

Sounds stupid, but I was out at a meeting for the managers of the teams in a local football league I play/manage in. Every couple of months during the season we have to meet up to pay our league fees, arrange the fixtures etc etc. Usually as we arrive, we each go up to the desk at the front, pay our money and collect any paperwork, then go and sit down and wait for the meeting to start.

But last night, the treasurer who collects the money was late to arrive, so the meeting started first, and then everyone got up and moved towards the front to pay up at the end. Now when I got up, I was fine, but as I was moving along with everyone else that's when it suddenly came on. Now I hate crowds and hustle and bustle, but there were probably on 20 or so people there, but to me it literally felt like a stampede.

My head went light and started spinning, and it was as if every sound was amplified to 100 times what it actually was (footsteps, talking, chair legs scraping along the floor).

And like I say, I've had countless panic attacks before, but nothing like this. The shakes were so much worse than they had been.

When I got home I loaded up on sugar and caffeine, which usually helps, and it did to a degree, but I am literally still shaking now, although obviously nothing like I was. Last night I was physically sick more times than I've ever been in my life before.

I did have something that was happening this morning causing me a lot of anxiety, although I wasn't really thinking about that at the time. I still guess it could have been a subconscious factor though. Now that has been and gone and wasn't half as bad as I feared, I still don't feel right now though.

As for taking things, I avoid any drugs or medication unless absolutely necessary. I have taken St. John's Wort and tried other herbal remedies when I was quite bad with them before to try and control it.

I also used to carry around a little rock with me. It was meant to be full of calming minerals. That seemed to help to, although I'm convinced it was only psychological, and not all the bollocks it was supposed to be.

As for counselling/hypnosis etc, I wouldn't be able to go through with that. I can't even bring myself to visit a doctor for normal things. I had an appointment booked with the doctor this afternoon, which would have been my first visit in years, but now I've cancelled it because I couldn't go through with it. Maybe that was worrying me deep down too?

Anyone else managed to control theres? I mean, this thread was 3 and a half years buried, so would be good to see how everyone else who was suffering is doing.

It's just something I'd learned to live with until now, but last night was a real eye-opener.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

My one peice of advice which has helped me a lot, give up caffine. My doctor told me that caffine speeds up your heart rate which makes the panic attack all the more worse than it is. I have not touched caffine for about 3 years now and have felt so much better for it.

I'm also taking St John's Wort, it seems to be helping and I'm a lot better than I used to be.

You say you has something on this morning that was causing you a bit of anxiety, it was probs that that brought on the panic attack, as like you I dont have to be thinking about something that has caused me anxiety. Flying gives me panic attacks, was not too bad on last years flight and maybe the 2 hour stopover helped me as it broke up the 12 hr flight.

And when I do have a panic attack i get the whole sound amplified thing going on, it's not nice.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:39 PM
dazoriginal
prodigal son

blast from the past this thread lol
anyway i have had like many an attack
i have been able to control them , i have been on medication which is mentioned within
i stay away from caffeine as this seems to make me anxious etc for some reason
i don't smoke i occasionally drink but during and after i know i am going to suffer
so therefore don't enjoy it anymore meds wise i would say that it has helped along with
speaking to a shrink but i have noticed that i'm more aggresive wanting to wind people up as if there is no barrier it has opened me up i have no fear in a way
i'm always wanting the last say and do the most damage for some reason
i was not like this before the meds has made me like this
but i have to deal with it and stop myself as i'm a good lad really
currently an ongoing thing and has been for some time
Old 09-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Matt-G

I don't post on here much but saw this and thought if I could help even a tiny bit then it's worth saying something.

This is something I have suffered with myself and have pretty much overcome now. What you need to get your head around is that you are not scared of the situations you are in. So, you're not scared of being around people or at a football meeting. What you are fearing is the fear itself. Those feelings of panic and anxiety.... Now, if you then can get your head around the idea that these feelings although horrible (trust me, I know) are not going to kill you, you are not going mad and they WILL stop once the adrenaline stops pumping this will start to help. Once I realised I wasn't actually scared of the situations but just the feelings themselves I started to get better. I actually would then try to make myself panic, try to bring the feelings on to show myself that it wouldn't hurt me - guess what, I began to stop fearing the fear and the panic is starting to go away. I do have Beta blockers for very occasional use (say for example i'm doing a big presentation) as these stop the release of adrenaline so I know i'm going to remain calm but other than that i'm about there...

Happy to go into more detail in PM if you need. I'm no medical expert but just a little bit of my own experience really, I hope this helps in some way, I know how bad it can be.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:43 PM
Mike C
The Special One

Originally Posted by Cossie Helen

And when I do have a panic attack i get the whole sound amplified thing going on, it's not nice.
I get that lots. Usually if I'm out and about in a pub or restaurant, I get it with the usual background noise you get. The sounds of loads of conversations going on, rattling and clanging of glasses and cutlery etc. It's like it's stifled, but really loud. When I get that, I have to head somewhere quiet and empty, usually a toilet cubicle or something, which is really embarrassing, until it dies down.

Originally Posted by Matt-G

Happy to go into more detail in PM if you need. I'm no medical expert but just a little bit of my own experience really, I hope this helps in some way, I know how bad it can be.
Cheers mate, everything you have said seems to make sense.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Gazzonator
Gary Krishna

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

I also suffer with panic attacks of varying degrees.

It's only been in the last 12-18 months that I've been getting them.

I can remember the first time I had one clear as day. I was called out to a car that wouldn't start (I'm an AA patrol), it was only a knackered battery which was easy enough but I couldn't get hold of one (too late in the day with no shops open). The guy who's car it was started giving me shit because I couldn't get one so I tried absolutely everything I could do get one. Whilst on the phone to a shop which was open late but a good drive away from where I was, I started to feel cold, started sweating, couldn't breathe easily, went dizzy, got pins and needles in my hands, couldn't get any words out that I tried to say and basically thought I was about to die!!

I had to put the phone down and had to try and tell the guy that I couldn't get him a battery (fucking hard cos I couldn't string a word together!!), but he was making it more and more difficult. In the end I just had to hand him the paperwork I had already written and drove off!!

I pulled over in the next street and really started shaking uncontrolably. I sat there for a good while trying to compose myself. I managed to phone my manager after a good while and he just told me go home (he was actually really good about the whole thing).

I went to the quacks the next day and said that I had experienced a panic attack.

I have to say that that was the first one I had and was the most frightening experience of my life so far! I honestly thought my number was up!

I still get them from time to time but don't seem as bad as that one was, whether I have become used to them and know how to deal with them better, I don't know.

I have been diagnosed with depression recently which the quack thinks I may have had for a fair while which he thinks could be a contributory factor causing the attacks. I went to see if I could try to sort something about my anger problems (I fly off the handle at the smallest things) and he ran through a series of questions which I then had to answer and that was the diagnosis he came up with! The thing is, I don't feel depressed. Sure I have my bad days like everyone but who doesn't?? I always associated depression with not being bothered to do anything, constantly miserable etc (that's what my dad went like anyway) but I'm not like that!

Anyways, just have to see what happens!

It's interesting to read about other peoples experiences!
Old 09-02-2010, 03:27 PM
kiddie
Advanced PassionFord User

I have suffered for the last 7 years untreated, I went to the doctors about it two weeks ago for the first time as it was controlling my life.

She put me on a SSRI called cipralex

Also go on www.patient.co.uk and search anixiety, good info on self help.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:43 PM
macturbo
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Wow, I really thought I was alone in this.
I suffer really badly from what I would describe as a panic attack.
It only happens when driving on motorways though.
It doesnt happen as a passenger, only when driving and is much worse when driving at night.

Ive been trying to find a cure for this for the past 2 or 3 years now. Ive been to the doctors who sent me to the ears, nose and throat hospital for various tests including balance tests, hearing tests etc.
Ive also had eye tests and nothing has cured it.
Im now at the stage where as soon as I enter a motorway the symtons start as I know whats coming.
I have found that if I have the heaters on cold and the window open its a little more bareable if that makes sense??
Old 09-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Mike C
The Special One

Forgot to add, seems that people are suggesting that ditching caffeine helps. I guess I can see why, but it always seems to have helped me in small doses. Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about going overboard. Just a mug of coffee or whatever.

It's more the sugar that seems to help take away the shakes. Just last night I threw most of it straight back up!

That's another slightly odd thing...

I've always struggled with sleep, never been a great sleeper. Again, that seemed to have improved over the past couple of years, but I've been quite bad with it again just lately. I tried a few things out from good advice I was given, and it worked pretty well, although still had the odd rough night, but generally I've only had a couple of bad nights over the last few weeks. The night before last was really bad. The first bad night I'd had in about 2 weeks. Then last night I was fearing that I was going to have a really bad night and get no sleep whatsoever (lots of sugar and caffeine + literally could not stop shaking, feel sick etc etc etc), yet strangely I slept really well. Didn't struggle at all, and yet when I woke up this morning I was still shaky and sick. Was really odd.

Here we approaching tea time the following day and I'm still feeling the effects. Nothing like what they were last night, but I still have a bit of the shakes, plus does anyone know when you can feel an anxious fluttering in the back of your throat? I have that, and no matter what I do, my mouth tastes horrible! Really salty and totally dry!
Old 09-02-2010, 03:46 PM
macturbo
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by Mike C

It's more the sugar that seems to help take away the shakes. Just last night I threw most of it straight back up!

That's another slightly odd thing...

I've always struggled with sleep, never been a great sleeper. Again, that seemed to have improved over the past couple of years, but I've been quite bad with it again just lately. I tried a few things out from good advice I was given, and it worked pretty well, although still had the odd rough night, but generally I've only had a couple of bad nights over the last few weeks. The night before last was really bad. The first bad night I'd had in about 2 weeks. Then last night I was fearing that I was going to have a really bad night and get no sleep whatsoever (lots of sugar and caffeine + literally could not stop shaking, feel sick etc etc etc), yet strangely I slept really well. Didn't struggle at all, and yet when I woke up this morning I was still shaky and sick. Was really odd.
I know what you mean, I have a pretty crap sleep pattern myself and if im feeling tired its so much worse its unreal!
Old 09-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Mike C
The Special One

I don't seem to get all that tired though generally.

I have to watch TV or something in bed until my eyes are tired out enough to fall asleep.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Dlatch!

wonder how many people also suffer these attacks?
sure its many more than we expect.
I also suffered quite badly with them after extensive abuse of cannabis (dam that skunk number 1 )

until you actually experience one its almost impossible to explain how bad it makes you feel.
hypnotherapy worked wonders for me and while not "cured" its under control
just gotta quit my caffine habit sure that also plays a part but i love my coffee
Old 09-02-2010, 06:07 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I suffer them, and mine tend to be about being in control. fortunatley they only tend to be if i am going to go into a situation I have no control over that i have know about for a few days or longer, like a meeting or journey.

As has been said, it is the thought of having an attack that can make it worse, but hard not to.

Sometime letting people know and not be ashamed can help. My last attack was at an the airport but the air hostess was fantastic and made sure i did not have to que and reminded me that i was in control which calmed me down - did have two attacks but pushed through them.

I had a trip to Newcastle coming up with the lads and we have to leave early - worst time for me!! I am going to drive so as to remain in control, we will see how it goes.

The key for me is to be able to see a way out if I do have an attack, and as sometimes I feel like my arse is going to let go, i have instant imodiems, pop one of them and the most that can happen is i sweat and have a fast heart rate for 2 minutes. I will drive alone to newcastle so that there is only me in the car and if I do need to pull over and calm down I can, but on my own in the car i will be fine tbh.

It aint good, and is all in the mind, but I think the best method is to challenge yourself often, and when you make it through remind yourself of the fact and the next time remind yourself that you have done it before and can do it again.

One thing is for sure, your not alone, lots and lots of people suffer, you just don't realise it.

Quick Reply: Panic Attacks