General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Panic Attacks

Search this Thread

Old 29-08-2006, 10:16 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rudey...you are sooo right...its weird as i am drawn to horror films,having dangerous toys...everything in my life resolves around darkness.....i cannot get away from it... Oh and a love of the Devil's dog But hey thats my life..what can you do?
Old 29-08-2006, 10:19 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Mate i am over the worse now anyway..i am in fullish control LOL...this is something i never wanted to go into on a public BB..LOL.
Old 29-08-2006, 10:20 AM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried these tablets for panic & anxiety ?

http://www.healthspan.co.uk/shop/product.aspx?Id=5HTP

If so what you think of them ?
Old 29-08-2006, 10:29 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Sorry Rudey i dont follow you there pal....the only person who can truly help is yourself..talking may help..and its good to see you not alone..but nobody knows how each is REALLY feeling..we all have different levels..its very complex...and i have studied it intently..hence my recovery
Old 29-08-2006, 10:31 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Helen they look a miracle cure on paper..but i wouldnt personally get my hopes up....try them though you never know!
Old 29-08-2006, 10:35 AM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by The Usual Suspect
Originally Posted by Cossie Helen
Has anyone tried these tablets for panic & anxiety ?

http://www.healthspan.co.uk/shop/product.aspx?Id=5HTP

If so what you think of them ?
not seen those helen ask your doc about propranolol they arent happy pills they just work on purely a chemical level they just chill you out and reduce blood pressure other key thing is avoid stressful situations at all costs or they,ll never go away

Thats easier said than done hun !

I cant and wont go into it on here of the stress and shite i had to deal with when i moved down to Surrey that made me 10 times worse.

I agree that the only person that can help you is yourself, when i have a panic attack i just sit there and go over and over in my head that i'm not going to die.

Like i have said above i seem to have cracked mine, and have not had one for a while, but i still not a very enthusiastic person about much stuff now
Old 29-08-2006, 10:54 AM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by The Usual Suspect
they do say one of it he most stressful things you can do is move house you did that and moved your life too id say your doin well

I'm doing well now Wasent before Saying that i'm still not 100%, dont think i ever will be again, i have changed a lot

But now i'm a stronger person, made myself be, and not a lot of ppl will get me down now
Old 29-08-2006, 11:16 AM
_DAN_
Yoon

Interesting advice here.
Old 29-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Diamonds.
BANNED
BANNED

I've heard before that sometimes talking to yourself can go two ways...

Like you said Helen you used to sit there telling yourself you weren't going to die....

But the other thing i saw once (cant remember where mind you), you tell yourself 'fuck it, if im gonna die im gonna die'
Because tyou know somewhere in your head that you ARE NOT going to die, so the advise was kinda, dont fight something that isnt even going to happen.

But once again, thats easier said than done
Old 29-08-2006, 02:16 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Its all sub-concious (sp) aint it, you know you aint going to die, but then you really think you are.

I have a book as well that may help you, think its called Overcoming Axiety
Old 29-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Anonymous
Banned

....i got better when i actually realised after so many attacks i wasnt gonna die...i adopted the go on kill me then,do your worse..we all die so get over yourself....touch wood i aint had a panic attack since about 3 years ago..and i dont think i ever will again..i feel sometimes one coming..but i just say to myself..dont be fucking stupid... and that seems to squash it.

HOWEVER there are many situations i will avoid though!..I will not get in a lift,i will never get on a plane...i sweat going thru tunnels...where ever i go i look for an exit as i am a profit of doom BUT this really doesnt affect my life really as i have formed one around it.

Damn i telling you my life Still there is always someone worse off than yourself..i man imagine being Chip
Old 29-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Its really funny you say about always looking for an exit in places, i do that. But what Dave noticed is at home i sleep on side of the bed closest to the door, whenever we stay in a hotel i sleep on the side of the bed closest to the door, must be something subcoucious telling me to sleep near the exit
Old 29-08-2006, 02:31 PM
Diamonds.
BANNED
BANNED

yep exactly the same always looking for a way out lol. hence why 90% of the time i have to drive cause then im in control. apparently thats one of the factors about panic attacks you have to be in control. hence like the said about flying...your not...sit back and relax...yeh but are they flying right i wanna see out the front lol
Old 29-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bosch-Man
Still there is always someone worse off than yourself..i man imagine being Chip
He isn't the one with the obsession for you, you're than one with the obsession for him . I find it quite sad that your unrequited love for him leads you to feel that you have to mention his name in your posts at least twice a day . Rest assured if it happens any more times (unprovoked might I add), you'll be panicking about not having access to Passion Ford for 36 hours . Get over it FFS, he loves ME, not YOU .
Old 29-08-2006, 02:40 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

I hate flying, last year i was a lot worse than this year, was a lot more calmer, quite strange.

I'm a lot calmer about most things, and dont let things bother me like i used to, which has only been since i had panic attacks.

Only problem i have is one thing gets to me the most out of everything and i cant overcome it, however much i try, but it dont make me panic no more, but i would now like to work on how to get over it.

Anyone who has suffered from them do you find you have no enthusiasim for anything ? Like nights out, days out, holidays etc etc
Old 29-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Hooligan
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Phil: a panicattack doesn't nessecarily equate to a sense of imminent death and any unprescribed drugs or alcohol is NOT the way to treat it!!!

If anyhting alcohol and drugs will make it worse...

A panicattack can vary from being a sense of unease/unrest to full on mini-psychosis so in any case; GO SEE A DOCTOR OF SORTS instead of........you've guessed it.............:

Dr. PHIL!!!!
Old 29-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Diamonds.
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Cossie Helen
Anyone who has suffered from them do you find you have no enthusiasim for anything ? Like nights out, days out, holidays etc etc
yup same. in the past 2 years ive always become a lazy fook or a cant be arsed person. i wake up some days like i dont want to do anything at all. hence yesteray i just stayed in bed till 5pm.

ive also started to get the right hump when people are like "get ready for such and such". i get the hump of "i am but i do it in my own time"
Old 29-08-2006, 02:56 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Know what you mean

I just have no enthusiasim like i used to, even about going on holiday, like this year when we booked to go away, i was looking forward to it, but the enthusiasim was not there, which i hate

But we planning a trip to America next year and it seems to be bringing back my enthusiasim
Old 29-08-2006, 02:56 PM
Diamonds.
BANNED
BANNED

i done this test which i know theres loads and it probably is the answer everyone else has but i can relate to 95% of this

On the overall affectedness scale you are probably anxious and or depressed much of the time. More than likely it is hard for you to enjoy life on any consistent level. You are always second-guessing yourself and the world around you. You are over thinking and obsessing and you hardly ever experience peace of mind. You’re often fearful, worrisome, and unhappy. You don’t like being this way but you don’t know what to do to change. Things are too much work and no one understands the way you feel. You go from worry to depression, to worry again, wearing yourself out with your thoughts and what if thinking. You probably hate yourself much of the time for being so miserable to be around and yet you can’t seem to find comfort when you’re alone. Nothing makes you feel safe or happy, and life is just one big struggle. Please, get help. You can be happy and confident again. You just need a clear plan of action and the right tools.

You find yourself feeling down and emotionally drained much of the time. You feel sad, worried, and tired often. You probably don’t have much energy and feel like the effort it takes to do things, such as socialize or make love to your partner, is just not worth it. You feel like there is a dark cloud hanging over your life. Nothing is working but you aren’t sure why not. You may cry often or easily. Possibly you find it hard to eat or you are over-eating. You may have a difficult time sleeping or you want to sleep all the time as a temporary escape from the way you feel. Possibly you feel that you are a drain on others, bringing them down as well. You feel that no one understands and that life is very difficult. You aren’t excited about things and nothing seems like fun anymore. You may have thoughts of suicide or find yourself thinking about death more frequently. (If this is true you should talk with your doctor or therapist). This could indicate possible clinical depression and it is suggested that you talk with your doctor about your feelings immediately. Depression is self generated to some degree but severe depression can also be a biochemical/genetic issue that needs the assistance of medication

At times you can be disappointed in yourself and others. You sometimes want people to know what you want without you having to tell them. At times, you can be someone who is hard to please. Depending on your mood and the situation, you can feel let down or disappointed with people, things or situations. You can be hard on yourself at times as well. This type of thinking can create anxiety, stress, and depression because you feel unhappy and dissatisfied with life, people and yourself at times.

Your anger can get the best of you. You often feel irritable, frustrated and downright mad. Sometimes you don’t even know why. It is not totally your fault that you are angry. Anger is passed down through generations. It is a learned behavior. You have learned to be angry by watching others. You probably overreact to things and take things very personally. Anger can be a very effective tool for creating a false sense of power. It is an addictive behavior that you have gotten comfortable expressing. Possibly you are secretly concerned about your anger and you are, at times, embarrassed or ashamed about your temper. Feelings of anger can make a person feel bad about him or herself not to mention putting a person in a consistently bad mood. Feelings of anger can create anxiety, stress, and depression and create of sense of feeling “out of control”. To take control of your anxiety and depression you must gain control of your anger

Negative attitude and negative thinking will surely affect the outcome of your daily life experience, if not your entire life. You are a negative person although you may not realize it. You tend to be skeptical, cynical, and to see the negative side of things. More than likely, you talk negatively and think negatively, and you worry and obsess about negative things. You are constantly waiting for the ball to drop, the bad thing to happen, the end result to be negative. You have a hard time believing that good things can happen and even if they do, they won’t last. This type of thinking makes it hard to feel good, or live a happy, productive life. It is also this type of thinking that actually creates anxiety and depression and keeps you “stuck” there. Negative thinking and the obsessive worrying that goes with it are what cause much of your anxiety and depression. It is absolutely imperative that you learn to change this way of thinking to take control of destructive anxiety and depression

You are someone who needs to feel in control of most areas of your life to feel comfortable. You need to control your comings and goings, how long you will be there, whom you will be with, and what will be happening. You need to feel in control to feel secure. You worry about losing control of yourself and about losing control in certain situations. Control issues can be problematic for you and fear of losing control can be a problem for people with anxiety and depression. To gain “control” of anxiety and depression one must truly understand the concept of true control and how real control, the kind that lasts a lifetime, is manifested. It is by giving up the need to control things that a true sense of control achieved.

You are an emotionally sensitive person. You can be easily hurt, easily made to feel guilty, and you often feel misunderstood. You probably take people’s opinions and comments about you too seriously. You are easily offended and don’t take criticism well. You may cry easily and you are sensitive to other people’s pain. Your emotional sensitivity creates anxiety and depression as a result of you not being able to handle your feelings. The pain is too much. It is necessary to understand why this way of thinking is so destructive and unhealthy in the healing process. To overcome problems with anxiety and depression you must learn how to be less sensitive and more sensible when dealing with your emotions

You are painfully challenged by the ongoing fear and anticipation of embarrassing yourself in front of others, being judged, criticized, or made to look foolish. You are extremely sensitive and take other people’s opinions and comments very personally. You put a great deal of your energy in worrying about situations that offer the potential for embarrassment. What if you look frightened, what if you forget what you are supposed to say, what if you make a mistake, what if you embarrass yourself? What would people think? What if you get sick in front of someone, what if you can’t find a private bathroom, what if you make a fool of yourself? Ironically you probably think you don’t care about other people’s opinions, when in fact you do. Much of your fear is based on being scrutinized or judged by others. You might put on a magnificent front of confidence and healthy self-esteem, but in reality you are constantly judging yourself. You are probably extremely uncomfortable talking in front of groups, performing in front of people, you are probably more comfortable socially when you can drink or take medications, it is likely you worry about people watching you or talking about you at times. It might be difficult for you to write, eat, or even go to the bathroom in public. Some people with this level of social anxiety even worry about sweating in front of others. Your life is a constant struggle to maintain your confident façade

You are an intense person who constantly feels on edge. You worry and anticipate about things in your life on an ongoing basis. You are often in a sensitized state. This means you are extremely sensitive to lights, sounds, and your surroundings. You probably have an anger problem and might even struggle with explosive outbursts. You feel like a car in high gear with the brakes on, you are all wound up with nowhere to go. Your mind races with a thousand reasons why you should worry. Physically you may experience intense inner nervousness, shallow breathing and sighing, upset stomach, headache, muscle tension, and even rapid heart beat. Probably you are someone who worries about your health. Do you have a disease; are you having a heart attack? You anticipate situations that you are concerned about for days, if not weeks in advance. These situations could include health tests or exams, travel plans, social or professional events or pressures. You have an extremely difficult time relaxing and might sometimes use alcohol or medications to help you calm down. You envy people who are relaxed and happy because both these traits seem to elude you.

You have re-occurring intrusive thoughts that you cannot turn off at will. Your mind spins with worrisome, repetitive ideas. It is extremely exhausting and can be very frightening. You want to just turn your mind off, but you don’t know how. These thoughts can be fearful, gruesome, or simply annoying. They can range from obsessions about death dying and illness or disease, to thoughts about hurting yourself or others. These thoughts can focus on your greatest fear, whether it is of disease, losing your mind, or a turbulent flight, or thoughts about the safety of your children. This ongoing circle of thoughts that ruminate, and make you sick with worry tortures you. It is difficult to be in the present moment because you are so absorbed in your own thoughts. You may also find that things need to “feel” a certain way for you to be comfortable. Things need to feel “soft” or be in a certain order. You might have to have food served a certain way or smell things before you eat them. You might have the need to repeat certain behaviors such as washing your hands, cleaning, or checking to make sure doors are locked or appliances are off. You might be superstitious, or have a need to count things. Possibly you are worried about germs and contamination. It is possible that you are an obsessive thinker, but you don’t really experience compulsive behaviors. However, if you experience compulsive behaviors you are more than likely an obsessive thinker as well. This type of anxiety can create a very difficult and painful experience for the sufferer. The only relief comes when you allow yourself to obsess; it almost feels like it will have an effect on the outcome, at least you are doing something because you are thinking about it. For those with compulsive urges, relief only comes when you allow yourself to perform the compulsive behavior.
Old 29-08-2006, 04:36 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Hooligan...as said i have had ALL treatment..and drugs are good for severe attacks as a temporary messure use them with therapy and then gradually withdrawal..it works for many...however as said i talked myself out of it..and the doc agrees a little alcohol everyday for me is the best medicine...seeing as i only have a drink at night..obviously if you need it during the day then you got other probs..LOL.

Yep i have to drive everywhere also..to be in control..you see i'd get on a plane if i was in control!!!!

Mike what are you on about You said banter was fine make up your fucking mind ..Its been all quiet between us and i think its all calming down..but then Super Banbird comes in and causes tension..just go fuck yourself..as you aint getting it from me anymore

(If Chip has complained hence your reply then thats a different matter.)
Old 29-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Robbie D. Thats about 80% how I feel And I was recently diagnosed with depression after trying to kill myself.

Worth talking to a professional about it.

I went through a bad phase of Panic attacks as a child. Eventually i found out that it was triggered by dogs as i was bit by a dog when younger. Once I understood the trigger I was halfway there to getting over the attacks. Even now i could never own a dog, but I can stroke one without being afraid. I still shit myself when they jump at you even though its mainly a friendly action.
Old 29-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Diamonds.
BANNED
BANNED

sorry to hear that bud

is therapy free? or is it what i expect Ł100's per hr etc?

Phil - ive done flying lessons and loved it...passenger planes shit a brick lol
Old 29-08-2006, 06:46 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Originally Posted by Robbie D
sorry to hear that bud

is therapy free? or is it what i expect Ł100's per hr etc?
Not sure about cost as I'm in the Forces so we have our own medical branch. Mental health treatment is provided by the NHS. To what level I don't know.
Old 29-08-2006, 06:50 PM
Diamonds.
BANNED
BANNED

cheeRS matey think ill have a chat with the Dr AGAIN if he gets over the fact of meditation aint always the cure
Old 29-08-2006, 06:57 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Robbie if you go to your GP he will get you to a counciler...BUT being NHS it means about a 6 month wait ....I am private so when i went i was in next day.

The first thing they will do anyway,well the GP should,is give you a full medical..blood tests etc to rule out any illness causing it...you could have a dodgy thyroid gland this gives anxiety and panic!..Once you given a clean bill of heath its on to councilers if you want to talk it over,in this case a behavioural therapist..your doc will just try you on vallium etc to help you tempary.

I even saw a shrink when i was really bad..and i am pleased to report i aint mental You have to find what is your underlying problem in order to recover.
Old 29-08-2006, 06:58 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

cheeRS matey think ill have a chat with the Dr AGAIN if he gets over the fact of meditation aint always the cure
ave you explained to him how youve felt about yourself??? especially in the huge essay you wrote in the previous post??

I initially saw a Pshyciatric nurse who diagnosed the depression so a proper shrink (fed up trying the hard spelling!!) should have no problems assessing you.
Old 29-08-2006, 07:00 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

: You have to find what is your underlying problem in order to recover.
Agreed
Old 29-08-2006, 07:03 PM
Anonymous
Banned

..one thing i am REALLY glad about is i was never depressed..i felt like shit..but i never thought about suicide..i cant imagine what it must be like to be depressed ..i mean to add how i felt is a sure way to find the final exit.
Old 29-08-2006, 07:15 PM
Sexy-RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I dunno if i get panick attacks i would class them more of anxiety attacks. I get them when im worried or the worse is when i am hungover. I get really scared feel like i can't breath properly then i make it worse my self as im trying to make my self breath slowley and it makes me feel like i am going to have an ashma attack my i can't breath in and out properly just short breaths, i get a lump in my throat and feel as if i can't swallow properly then i keep trying to swallow and convince myself my throat is closing up, then my heart starts racing Stupid hey! Never found a cure just deal with its horrible tho I find its better if your around someone and i have to do things to take my mind of it get up move around do anythink, as the more i sit and think about it the worse i become lol

Don't no why i get them i put it down to, to many drugs when i was younger i don't do any now! And never smoke weed it makes you 10X worse trust me!
Old 29-08-2006, 07:16 PM
Diamonds.
BANNED
BANNED

warrenpenalver not in such great detail i kinda go blank and remember everything i want to say after. think i will print it off for him to read. my Dr's are the type that are diagnosing u as they are walking you out the door for the next patient if you know what i mean.

Phil my mum has a over or under active thyroid i cant remember not sure if it can be a hereditary (sp) thing but i think i might have to try getting private....silly question is that BUPA?

Faye yeh once my mind is on something else or pissed its ok lol
Old 29-08-2006, 07:20 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

..one thing i am REALLY glad about is i was never depressed..i felt like shit..but i never thought about suicide..i cant imagine what it must be like to be depressed ..i mean to add how i felt is a sure way to find the final exit.
Its fucking shit!! Desperation is a major feature, desperation for a solution, and end to the pain (not necessarily physical). You think irrationally, with silly fears ruling your life. I felt there was no way things could improve in life, I believed I was loosing everything I enjoyed in life, with no way of getting it back. I thought I would end up as another sad homeless fucked up loser on drink or drugs waiting to get his head kicked in by drunks or die one cold winter.

Thats a person I couldn't be, there was no way i could let my self go that far. Killing myself was my solution as the pain ended. I still wasn't sure if I believed in God and all that but I reasoned that if it was true I would go to heaven etc if not my conciousness would just stop and I'd be unaware and therefore not in pain.

It ripped me apart so much i puked several times before and after my attempt. ( probably not helped by giving myself CO piosioning).

I'm still ashamed of what I did and how desperate I became, and would love to meet the people who pulled into the car park and effectively saved my life, as i was too upset at the time to say/do anything and sped off after leaving a deposit in the carpark. Would be nice to say thankyou.

So if you were driving a blue mk1 mondeo and pulled up into a car park 30mins or so west of Dublin (i don't really know where exactly ) on Saturday the 12th august about 2030 and i sped off, then thank you.
Old 29-08-2006, 07:20 PM
Sexy-RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Faye yeh once my mind is on something else or pissed its ok lol
Same with me hun! And im with bosche alcohol does help as long as its just a few as if i get a hangover it fucks me up im realy bad and get really scared! I find it worse when your lying in bed! I convince myself if i lye on my back im gonna swallow my tounge and die and all sorts
Old 29-08-2006, 07:22 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Robbie deffo worth asking the GP for a blood test thats free and should do str8 away...tell him about that..it may be your cure ..

Yes i am Bupa thru our family business.

Sexy-RS...alot of anxiety can be brought upon by early use of drugs...seek doctors advice...there help for everyone...its just finding what treatment works for YOU.
Old 29-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Damn right alcohol works in moderation...when i go out and drink too much boy do i pay next day...not any ordinary hangover,the works anxiety...i now never drink OTT..i know my quota.
Old 29-08-2006, 07:35 PM
Sexy-RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Sexy-RS...alot of anxiety can be brought upon by early use of drugs...seek doctors advice...there help for everyone...its just finding what treatment works for YOU.
Yeah they only started when i was on a come down my mind used to play tricks on me My heart would start racing i would convince myself i was going to. I went to the doctors a few years ago they gave me some sort of anti-depressents they use for pannick attacks and anxiety i started taking them then people told me all sorts of bad things about them and i typed them in the net on a search engine and read horror storys so i stopped.

Oh well will teach me for taking to many class A's when i was very young

Do they ever go away completly and never come back do you think?

Quick Reply: Panic Attacks