Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Help Needed...

Old 03-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Help Needed...

Ok, been at the gym for 4 weeks now and got my routine pretty sorted and am really enjoying the workouts and missed them when they were shut Xmas and New years day, but the problem i have at the moment is weight, im not losing, in fact, i am gaining...

I started off at 16stone 2 and am now 16stone 7

I fully understand that muscle will weigh a bit more but surely after starting to eat less, and eat better, coupled with the new excersize routines, i should e able to lose some of this fat?

Average daily food:
8am: 2 Weetabix (No sugar)
10am: A McVities GO bar
12:30: Jacket Spud with Tuna Mayo
3.00pm: Banana
6.00pm: GYM for 1hr
8.00pm: varies... Pork chop, chips and peas

And that is pretty much it, i dont snack anymore, drink many softdrinks and zero sweets and chocolates. I have cut out TONS of crap from my diet and seem to be getting nowhere.

Routine: Monday, Wednesday and Friday:

Pedal Bike.
10mins on level 5 at 80 - 90 rpm, heartrate around 150.

Rower:
1500meters at level 8.

Crunches.
40 3 sets

Leg Raises in between each crunch set:
10 held for 5 seconds. 3 sets

Pec Deck:
45kg x8 3 sets

Lat pulldowns seated:
55Kg x8 3 sets

Leg extension machine (up)
50kg x8 3 sets

Leg extension machine (down)
50kg x8 3 sets

Shoulder Press machine:
45kg x8 3 sets

Leg press. Horizontal:
60kg x8 3 sets

Tricep Pushdown:
60kg x8 3 sets

Tricep Curls:
50kg x8 3 sets

Dumbells:
Bicep curls, 2 sets of 8
Side extensions, 2 sets of 8

Any comments at all as to what i may be able to do to improve things here as im at a loss now.

I intend to go swimming Tue and Thursday nights now the Pool is open again, but i dont see how it is going to help a massive lot. Help...
Old 03-01-2006, 01:23 PM
extra18
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem a while back, dunno why either. I just kept going all the same and eventually i started to lose weight. If your trying to lose weight more than gain in muscle size then you should change your routine a bit. Try more cardio work and change your reps. Your programme of 3 sets of 8 is manly for size, maybe try lifting a little less weight and go for sets of 12 plus. Just an idea...
Old 03-01-2006, 02:14 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

My main aim is to improve size and definition, i had hoped that this training, along with swimming and eating literally MASSES less than i used too would do teh trick with the weight loss almost as a byproduct, but it seems not....

Originally Posted by adam@quikshift
Your programme of 3 sets of 8 is manly for size, maybe try lifting a little less weight and go for sets of 12 plus. Just an idea...
I may give this a try actually, thanks for the advice.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:51 PM
matt p
PassionFord Post Troll

Hi Stu.

As above really fella just read through the thread,

Have you tried doing lighter weights but with more reps?

I think this will help you define the muscle mass you already
have and not pack on so much weight.

Keep up with the cardio and increase the times etc when you
start feeling that you can push yourself harder.

Hope this helps.

matt.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:51 PM
M Brian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

not an expert my any means but youre programme looks terribly light on cardio?

I lost a good chunk of weight with running.

I hate cardio in the gym as unless there's something good on tv its really boring and all you think about is 'the wall' and how you need to do some proper excercise.

how long is your 1500 metres taking on rowing?

Have you looked in the mirror and do you not feel leaner and meaner?
or are you just looking at the scales?

as ive lost 5kg and am definately fatter since I've virtually stopped running and weights...

i shall be starting again very shortly though (well in about an hours time I should think! lol)
Old 04-01-2006, 09:40 AM
dangerous - reyland
Advanced PassionFord User

Stu

Not the worlds authority on this but at first glance you are eating too late & ITS CHIPS

This will pile on the weight as you dont have enough time to burn it off before sleeping.

try a protein hit after training ie drink or lean (less than 5% fat) pack of B Matthews turkey.

try to go to bed feeling hungry

this proved the best way i lost weight

If you want there is a good spit & sawdust gym near Martins workshop, next time you are down we could take a look at your workout ??
Old 04-01-2006, 09:52 AM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

Ok Stu, I think you have done very well mate but there are a few things from the above you need to change to speed up the process in the correct manor.

No.1 You are not eating enough to boost your metabolism which in turn will burn calories along with your training programme. According to your weight I have put an eating plan based on your break times and as near as possible to the things you have listed. You calories are under and your protein intake is to low, it's all about calories mate at the end of the day whether putting on muscle or loosing fat weight! get the micronutrients in the correct ratios and you will see the results...Fact.

No.2 As said above you should increase the reps to 10-15 with less time in between sets, say 20-30secs, this will keep you heart rate elevated and give you more of cardio workout. You may need to drop the weight but keep the form and you will still be lifting a good total weight due to the higher reps. Then keep the cardio warm up at the start, but do your main cardio of around 20-30mins after your weight session, this will burn more FAT due to loosing most of your glycogen storage from the weight training. When doing the cardio try doing low intensity for 1-2min then almost flat out for 1-2mins then slow 1-2min and so on....you will fit more of a cardio workout in a shorter space of time and burn more calories than steady cardio. But take it easy at first and work your way up to longer times as this is HIT Training.."High Intesity Training" very good form of calorie burning but alot harder. Get one of the trainers down the gym to help you with the levels on the machines if you are not sure.

Now as said the following is worked out on your weight and to the times you stated above along with most of the foods you listed.

The main addition is the Whey Protein which you need to help you acheive your goals and maybe add a bit of muscle as well as shedding the FAT along the way, as said above your protein intake is very shy for what you are doing.

Don't worry about the figures this is just to show how it's all worked out.
Weight 16.5x14=231x10=2310kcals per day.
2310/40=924kcal/4=231g Protein
2310/40=924kcal/4=231g Carbs
2310/20=462kcal/9=51g Fat

So now we have the figures, we can work it out as follows.

1st figure is Protein, then Carbs & Fat

Multi vit-mineral Tab
2xWeetabix =4.4, 26, 0.8
400ml Skim milk with =13.2, 20, 0.4
1 Scoop Choc Whey and =22, 2, 1
blend in 30g Peanut butter & =8.1 , 3.6, 15
Pour over weetabix drink the rest.

Advantage Protein bar in
Chocolate & Hazelnut =19.4, 17.4, 12.2
3x Boiled eggs but discard
2 of the yokes =9, 1, 1
1 Pint of water

2xSlices of Burgen filled with =13, 24, 8
1xTin of tuna in brine or =25, 0, 0
80g turkey/chicken breast
2x Kiwi's = 0, 20, 0
1 Pint of water

Banana or Apple chopped & mixed with =1, 26, 0
150g Cottage Cheese =21, 5.2, 2.2
400ml Skim milk with =13.2, 20, 0.4
1 & half Scoop Whey =33, 3, 3
1 Pint of water

6.00 GYM 1HOUR

Grilled Chicken Breast with =25, 0, 0
spices added for flavour or
Salmon/Tuna/Lean meat.
90g Sweet Spud or =1.2, 21.3, 6.3
30g Brown rice/pasta
250g Frozen Veg =2, 18, 1
400ml Skim milk =13.2, 20, 0.4
1 Pint of water

Totals =223.7g, 227.5g, 51.7g

=2270.1kcals per day. making your metabolism a calorie burning machine!! That should sort ya out matey, just print it off and follow it couldn't be any easier.

Remember anything else passing your lips will be upping your calories, but have a day off where you can eat you fav foods with in reason.

Whey Protein can be brought from many sites, expect to pay around Ł30 for a 5lb tub which will last you over a month. Forget about all the other supplements you will see on the site, just start with the above plan is all you need and the multi-vit tab daily.

The Burgen and Advantage bars can both be found in Tesco's and you can add a little sugar free squash to the water if you wish. But no fizzy drinks even low cal ones.

1 more thing...3 sets of 40 cruches!!! do 3sets of 15-20.....but slow and nice and controlled would be better, see how they feel!

Hope all the above is clear Stu but if not just ask mate or pm.

P.S This is a one off for Stu, so please don't everyone request meal plans.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:41 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Some great advice here from everyone, thanks

Paul, Wow!!
I diodnt expect help of that level, thanks ever so much

I had a short chat with my sister about this recently and she also told me i am not eating ENOUGH Im sure most of you will understand thats a hard concept to get your head around

Ok, im off to Tescos tonight, i am going to try this

3 questions though please:

1) How much does Caffeine free tea with 1 sweetner affect this menu?
Say 2 cups per hour at work (16cups)

2) What is a "Burgen"?

3) Dinner is tricky where i work as we are in teh middle of nowhere, so im stuicj with what the food delivery service can supply, is a Spud with Tuna Mayo actually ok?
Old 04-01-2006, 11:46 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Nice work from Paul there I would dispute the calorie calculation though as 2310 kcals is low for a 16.5st man. I use a multiplication factor of 14 rather than 10, which increase your calories to 3234kcals.

Average figures are Men:2500kcals and Women: 2000kcals.

I would not class you as average if you are training everyday. I expect the average weight is somewhat less than 16.5 stone too

You maybe also like me in that too many carbs in the diet restricts your fat loss progress. I seem to recall you doing well when on the atkins diet.

One thing to try is to increase your protein intake at the expense of carbs. Carb cycling is the best method because ultimately you will get tired due to the reduced amount of carbs on a sustained low carb diet. Therefore a couple of days on low carbs followed by a normal day can also boost your metabolism and fat loss.

Which ever route you follow, stick it out for a few weeks, good progress takes time and you will need to stick with it rather than chop and change.

Paul
Old 04-01-2006, 11:58 AM
M Brian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

P.S This is a one off for Stu, so please don't everyone request meal plans
but..... how much would you charge to put together something similar as a trial for me?

I really struggle diet wise and I think that im losing energy and eating junk because I can't simply think of what the right combinations are?

If I start my own rough guestimates...

74kg 162 lbs = 1620 calories a day?
is the 40/40 20 split set up to do anything specific?

got a few more questions best start a new post..
Old 04-01-2006, 12:06 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Yes i normally do VERY well on Atkins and can drop 2 stones in under 6 weeks normally, suggesting i am metabolically resistant to weight loss when inducing normal levels of carbs....

I have thought long and hard about just going back on teh atkins and trying to figure how many carbs i need to keep in ketosis whilst still allowing me to work out but it really was starting to make me feel lethargic which is why i stopped before i did myself an injury...

I will get onto the pool tonight and see if they are open, get back into swimming on my non gym days, that has got to help surely...
Old 04-01-2006, 12:11 PM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Some great advice here from everyone, thanks

Paul, Wow!!
I diodnt expect help of that level, thanks ever so much

I had a short chat with my sister about this recently and she also told me i am not eating ENOUGH Im sure most of you will understand thats a hard concept to get your head around

Ok, im off to Tescos tonight, i am going to try this

3 questions though please:

1) How much does Caffeine free tea with 1 sweetner affect this menu?
Say 2 cups per hour at work (16cups)

2) What is a "Burgen"?

3) Dinner is tricky where i work as we are in the middle of nowhere, so im stuicj with what the food delivery service can supply, is a Spud with Tuna Mayo actually ok?
Yes, your sister is 100% correct, you need to boost your metabolism and eat 5-6 meals a day to limit the amount you will store. If you starve your self like many people do or not eat enough you will slow down you metabolism and actually store FAT!! this is because the body thinks it is being starved and holds on to more. so you must eat

First thing Stu...you will loose weight by just eating the above, due to your metabolism being revvvved up...whooops to many V's in there. but you will also get the benefits of the ratio of protein, carbs and fats working hand in hand with your fitness programme.

1) Caffeine can actually help with fat loss, so a cup of black coffee in the morning is ok, green tea is also good for fat loss but you couldn't drink enough to get the results!, you would need supplement tablets to get the results. So yes you can keep taking your tea, but try and drop the sweetner every other one... see how you go. Also you have shakes and a Pint of water with most meals so you may end up drinking less tea anyway.

2) Burgen is a bread with good fats/oils added for health benefits, you need good fats to loose the fat. The bread is quite moist so you shouldn't need any butter. You can also add cucmber or tomato which are low in calories so are basically free!

3) No excuse Stu....take it with you!! The 2 slices of burgen are better than a Spud which could bump up your carbs to much! Why dont you make the Burgen sandwich in the morning and take it with you with the rest of your food, might even save you a few bob from the delivery service to, Give it ago I bet you'll enjoy it. I do some of my meals the night before and the rest in the morning, then you are sorted for the day.

Adding sauces and mayo can contain loads of hidden calories so go easy on them. When I have Tuna I put a tablespoon of Natural yoghurt instead of mayo. Also available in Tesco....white tub with purple/red writting on it ..I think it says 0% or something on the tub....a yoghurt high in Protein but low in carbs.

There you go mate, anything else just ask and remember these are correct ratio's for you, if you add things it will alter it......and enjoy your cheat day.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:31 PM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

Thanks Paul....OK, 2310 is correct for Stu on a FAT loss programme for his weight.

He is doing weights and cardio 3xper week and light cardio on the others with one days rest. He will have enough fuel from the foods chosen to carry out the programme he has. If he wanted to put on muscle then yes the daily cals must be more, but not to loose the FAT, we need to create an energy deficit in order to burn the FAT hense x10.

Carbs are still needed in the diet and if we start cycling them I think we will be getting Stu a little confused.

The above plan he can follow to his break times and a few things can be changed at a later date to stop him getting bored of the food. Lets just see how it all goes following the above.

There are many ways to do this but lets keep it simple for Stu, or he is going to get comments from all corners and confuse him.

As Paul said above just stick with it and the results will come...it is 80% diet at the end of the day. Mr Eggleton didn't get the size he is today by downing fizzy drink and kitkats, it takes good nutrition!!...you need to work out a plan and you now have one Stu.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Lemon S2
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

[quote="M Brian

74kg 162 lbs = 1620 calories a day?
is the 40/40 20 split set up to do anything specific?

got a few more questions best start a new post..[/quote]

The 40 / 40 / 20 split is

40% of your diet is Protein / 40% is Carbs / & 20% is Fat
Old 04-01-2006, 01:45 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Ok, this is all quite exciting stuff, i have ordered this stuff online, should be here tomorrow:

http://www.affordablesupplements.co....asp?prodid=456

I will try and follow the plan to teh letter and report back in a couple of weeks. Thansk ever so much people.

Finally (perhaps?) is it worth me picking up some Creatine as well to perhaps help with the Muscle building or should i deal with weightloss first?

I am impatient arent i?
Old 04-01-2006, 02:00 PM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

Creatine will not hurt Stu, but we are on a FAT loss plan so don't expect big gains. Once you start stripping the FAT you will see more muscle definition and look like a big fooker anyway.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:01 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If you find yourself getting too tired Stu up your calories for a day or two and see if that perks you up.

Personally I always follow this rule

Calories for BW + 500 kcals for building size
Calories for BW - 500 kCals for loosing weight

This would put you around the 2734kcals a day, probably a decent meal off what Paul stated so as I said add a bit extra if you are tired.

If you do start to loose weight, be mindful that it isn't too quickly as you can guarantee that it won't all be fat you are loosing, muscle will disappear too if you starve yourself.

Paul.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Chrissy_bwoy
Advanced PassionFord User

excellent stuff there, i really need a proper diet but theres about 4 things on stus diet i cant eat, im so restricted with food its a pain i the arse

might have a chat with one of the trainers at my place and see what they can come up with to accomodate me

since ive stopped smoking im slowly adding a bit of weight lol
Old 05-01-2006, 07:38 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Ok, changed my routine last night to this:

Routine: Monday, Wednesday and Friday:

Pedal Bike.
5mins on level 5 at 80 - 90 rpm, heartrate around 140.
2mins on level 5 at 105 - 110rpm heartrate around 160.
2mins on level 5 at 80 - 90 rpm rpm heartrate around 150.
1mins on level 5 at 105-110rpm rpm heartrate around 165.

Crunches.
30 3 slow sets

Leg Raises in between each crunch set:
10 held for 5 seconds. 3 sets

Pec Deck:
35kg x12 3 sets

Lat pulldowns seated:
45Kg x12 3 sets

Leg extension machine (up)
45kg x12 3 sets

Leg extension machine (down)
45kg x12 3 sets

Shoulder Press machine:
35kg x12 3 sets

Leg press. Horizontal:
50kg x12 3 sets

Tricep Pushdown:
45kg x12 3 sets

Tricep Curls:
40kg x12 3 sets

Dumbells:
Bicep curls, 2 sets of 8
Side extensions, 2 sets of 8

Aductors:
50 x 12 3 sets

Abuctors:
50 x 12 3 sets

Rower:
1500meters at level 8.

I will now definately be going swimming Tue and Thursday nights as the pool reopens again tonight, so im there.

I hope along with the above changes and the new diet, this will be me on the correct road.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:53 AM
RSPTG
PassionFord Regular

Looks good Stu,

but don't forget 5min warm up at the start and put the main cardio at the end of you weights workout. This way you will burn more FAT,.... and then remember to also reduce the rest period between sets to say 30secs as we said and you can't go far wrong.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:16 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Old 05-01-2006, 10:33 AM
matt p
PassionFord Post Troll

Hey good luck with it mate

There is some top advice being passed about in this
section of the forum.

Your workout seems like a good one, roll on the results

cheers matt.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:27 PM
Yamaha
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by dangerous - reyland
Stu

Not the worlds authority on this but at first glance you are eating too late & ITS CHIPS

This will pile on the weight as you dont have enough time to burn it off before sleeping.
Hmm, this is not entirely true actually. There is no evidence to prove this theory although many "experts" advise people to not eat after x time because "you will store it as fat" etc....

Think of food as fuel in the tank..................

If you drive around all day in the red you will use the reserve fuel in the tank. Now............ what do you think happens when you put some "fuel" in the tank? Do you think that as well as topping up the reserve you actually get some EXTRA fuel as well?? The same is true with food.

The only reason some people find that not eating after 5pm, 6pm or whatever "magical" time they have been prescribed is that ceasing to eat at a certain time naturally affects calorie intake

Nice work from Paul there I would dispute the calorie calculation though as 2310 kcals is low for a 16.5st man. I use a multiplication factor of 14 rather than 10, which increase your calories to 3234kcals.
I agree with this, weight in lbs x 10 is really quite low especially for someone who trains so much, I would suggest x 14 instead. Better still, just subtract 500 cals/day That, coupled with your training is MORE than enough of a deficit. Dont forget, go too low with cals and you will lose too much muscle as well as fat

Potatoes........ am not sure if you are still trying to restrict carbs Stu but......... the average potatoe weighs 200g, containing approx 18g carb per 100g so one baked spud is only (approx) 36g carbs. Of course I am assuming ONE average sized potatoe here If memory serves, Burgen bread is 9g carb per slice so............. it is less but if you are not watching carbs anymore, is it worth it? Also, I'm not convinced you would be satisfied with just 2 slices

Yes, your sister is 100% correct
I feel vindicated now Glad someone else confirmed what I said to Stu as I could see he wasn't entirely convinced!!

Well, that's all I have for now, keep great exercise!
Old 06-01-2006, 12:02 AM
Tangodeltasierra3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Wow its easier to stay fat innit ? I reckon i need to lose 2 stone, mainly beer belly, and generally tone up everywhere, i will shortly have access to an exercise bike and rowing machine and one of these ab trimmer thingys, any quick advice on where how to start please ? Cheers!
Old 06-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Originally Posted by Tangodeltasierra3
Wow its easier to stay fat innit ?
Much