Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

Carbs Before I Train?

Old 18-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbs Before I Train?

I've been told numerous times to leave the carbs alone. I don't doubt this is a good way of loosing weight. However, I eat carbs about 1 and a half hours before I train. This is my energy for the gym. I either eat the following.

Potatoes and Chicken.
Beans on Toast.
Chicken and Rice.

I train at 4, so I have a pick of them around 2:30. I will then have my protein shake 45 minutes before I train. Sometimes maybe an energy drink, but not often. I've been told to scrap the carbs and use the energy from my fat.

What do you think?

Benni.
Old 18-05-2009, 08:29 PM
fabbio
Virgin

Default carbs

depends what your there to do.... i bulked last year to 19 stone eating 8 meals a day with a ratio of carbs and protein to body weight....
me personally tend to have more carbs 45mins before i train then protein shake straight after then a meal within the hour of training...
hard work eating never mind training only what i do mate not saying its right??????!

Last edited by fabbio; 18-05-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 18-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I would like to think I train hard. With my bone problems, and my hip I have days were I can't do much, and I may do more cardio. But, here is my workout.

Tuesday: 24 sets on Chest, finished with some biceps and legs.
Wednesday 24 sets on Shoulders, finished with some triceps and back.

This is repeated for Thursday and Friday.
Old 18-05-2009, 10:01 PM
godzilla
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Benni
I would like to think I train hard. With my bone problems, and my hip I have days were I can't do much, and I may do more cardio. But, here is my workout.

Tuesday: 24 sets on Chest, finished with some biceps and legs.
Wednesday 24 sets on Shoulders, finished with some triceps and back.

This is repeated for Thursday and Friday.

Fuck me Benni, 24 sets

Keep to no more than 5 sets per bodypart, your CNS will give you shit otherwise! 8-10 reps, 45 seconds rest between sets

Keep to the complex carbs bud. Eat 40 mins before training and straight after with a high protien drink. Chest & bi's, forget legs as that is 2 major muscle groups worked in one session......not good, well, never worked for me. Stick to one major and one small
Old 19-05-2009, 12:54 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I think we might be confused? I mean 4 flys, 4 dumbell press, 4 bench and so on. It adds up to 24. I don't do 4 times 24. I'd go in like Screech and come out like Arny, lol! I aim for 12 reps, and when I can do 15 comfortabley I go up in weight and then aim for 12 again.

Cheers for the tips. I am being trained by my Dads mate, who is a big man. He has all his training certificates, and he trains me for free. I might even have the triceps and biceps mixed up, I don't know which is which, Ha.

I have one protein drink a day, CNP Mass, and I take it before I train. I might start taking it when I finish instead.

Benni.
Old 19-05-2009, 01:09 AM
snedboy
BANNED
BANNED

I think we might be confused? I mean 4 flys, 4 dumbell press, 4 bench and so on. It adds up to 24. I don't do 4 times 24. I'd go in like Screech and come out like Arny, lol! I aim for 12 reps, and when I can do 15 comfortabley I go up in weight and then aim for 12 again.

Cheers for the tips. I am being trained by my Dads mate, who is a big man. He has all his training certificates, and he trains me for free. I might even have the triceps and biceps mixed up, I don't know which is which, Ha.

I have one protein drink a day, CNP Mass, and I take it before I train. I might start taking it when I finish instead.

Benni.
No Paul's right 20 odd sets on 1 muscle group is way OTT.I do 3 sets of 3 excercises per muscle group so thats 9 sets in total starting with 14 reps then 10 reps then 6/8 upping the weight each set

protein MUST be consumed 45 mins after working out so if only having 1 drink per day have it after workout NOT before.Have a bannana 30 mins before workout aswell as it has nice long lasting carbs and will keep energy levels up

I seriously think you need someone else to train with as read a few posts about your training diet etc and to me its all fucked up with far too much excercise and too much carbs if trying to loose weight.You need protein,protein,protein to maintain muscle and as little carbs as possible so the body starts to use fat for energy instead of carbs.Cardio is best done in morning upon wakening and on empty stomach and done for atleast 40mins as first 20 mins burns previous days carbs intake before body starts to burn fat

Hope this helps a bit

Last edited by snedboy; 19-05-2009 at 01:10 AM.
Old 19-05-2009, 01:30 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I haven't done any Cardio for a few weeks. I can't seem to get the seat comfortable with my hip on the bike, and I can't run, and I'm not allowed to walk as a form of excersize, as it's impact on the false hip and I don't last long without pain kicking in. I was thinking of trying swimming. The person who trains me is very knowledgeable. The only thing he tells me is to eat loads of Carbs, which you and many others don't agree with. So can I train without carbs, as this is the question. I eat Carbs for energy.

My body shape is changing though, and my moobs go more square when I clench them. I have much more body shape, and I have a much slimmer face. I still weigh the same mind,

Your advice helps a lot - thanks.

Benni.

Last edited by Benni; 19-05-2009 at 01:39 AM.
Old 19-05-2009, 02:31 AM
snedboy
BANNED
BANNED

I haven't done any Cardio for a few weeks. I can't seem to get the seat comfortable with my hip on the bike, and I can't run, and I'm not allowed to walk as a form of excersize, as it's impact on the false hip and I don't last long without pain kicking in. I was thinking of trying swimming. The person who trains me is very knowledgeable. The only thing he tells me is to eat loads of Carbs, which you and many others don't agree with. So can I train without carbs, as this is the question. I eat Carbs for energy.

My body shape is changing though, and my moobs go more square when I clench them. I have much more body shape, and I have a much slimmer face. I still weigh the same mind,

Your advice helps a lot - thanks.

Benni.
YES you can train without carbs m8,i often do i also often dont eat anything prior to training BUT this makes you fatigue alot quicker and muscles feel burnt out so much faster so not ideal really.Eating a bannana would be ideal as its has carbs but low content and long lasting so would be great for having 30mins before workout.Its my fav choice

Swimming would be ideal yes starting with a couple lenghts then work up each week.If you train Mon,Wed,Fri then go swimming Tue and Thur even throw in the odd Sat aswell if you really want to hep shift fat faster
Old 19-05-2009, 01:02 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Nice one. I am training Monday - Friday starting next week. My local baths has a free three hour swimming session, no kids. This is first think every morning. I could go there of a morning an train as I do about 4?

Benni.
Old 19-05-2009, 02:15 PM
snedboy
BANNED
BANNED

Nice one. I am training Monday - Friday starting next week. My local baths has a free three hour swimming session, no kids. This is first think every morning. I could go there of a morning an train as I do about 4?

Benni.
Training Mon - Fri is more for experienced people who are shifting very large weights and need to target 1 muscle group per day.Ide do Mon Wed Fri and on Tue and Thurs do cardio.If you really feel the need to shift fat faster then doing swimming each morning will benefit you alot but need to get more sleep at nites i.e atleast 8 hrs
Old 19-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

The sleep is easy if I don't spend my nights on the PC. Ha. Well I've just got back from the gym and I never had my Rice etc. To be honest I was shattered in no time. The carbs really help, but I'll see how it goes. I like my five days so unless changing this is a must, I'd like to stick at it. For one I feel better when I've trained. Well actually it's been 4 days, but now my night college has finished, I can up it. I will deffo start swimming from tomorrow!

Also, I had my protein shake when I came home too instead of before. I will change the shake I have when I am all out, as this is a mass one, and I guess there is a cleaner one, meaning I can have two?

Again, advice much appreciated, thanks!

Benni.

Last edited by Benni; 19-05-2009 at 04:49 PM.