General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

ford mondeo tdci reviews ?

Search this Thread

Old 25-12-2011, 08:02 PM
conor.rst
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ford mondeo tdci reviews ?

who's had one ?

thinking of getting one and want to know what people think of them ?

what are the common faults, and what are they like to maintain ?

can they be remapped ...
Old 25-12-2011, 08:59 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

injectors, fuel pumps can leak, dual mass flywheels can be a problem.

pretty sure they can be remapped.

Only 1 I would have is a ST (pref a estate)
Old 25-12-2011, 09:56 PM
syko2005
burning oil

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every one will say injectors, fuel pumps and duel mass flywheels. But to be honest I no people with dubs n vauxhalls who have had exactly the same things go wrong. It's luck of the draw with newer dervs unfortunately. I Personally don't thing a particular make are more reliable than the next.
Buy high mileage without full service history and allow for problems n big bills
Old 25-12-2011, 10:01 PM
Jimboxr4x4

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Had my 2.2 titanium x for 6 months (same spec as the ST) and love it. Fairly quick for what they are (155bhp) but pull like a train (295lbft) and return 45mpg round town and just under 60mpg on a run.
Old 25-12-2011, 10:20 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

DMF,injectors,fuel pump,rear calipers sticking,front washer bottle pump dying,crank pulley,pulley tensioner...

Can't think of anymore but I'm sure there are,the only problem I've had is rear calipers and DMF.

My tdci is an 03 plate and have to say on a run down to cornwall twice this year has returned not far off 60mpg and it's done 100k

more info here

http://www.talkford.com/topic/57525-...05#entry509805

Last edited by st3v3; 25-12-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 25-12-2011, 10:44 PM
andy130
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

great cars, they give the very same bother as most vw,
Old 25-12-2011, 11:16 PM
LewisT
Part of the Furniture

mk3 or mk4 mondeo i got to use both they were my dads company cars the mk3 tdci averaged about 47mpg handled very well, the mk4 big heavy cruiser didnt handle well scraped about 42mpg
Old 26-12-2011, 12:00 AM
Mister G
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a ST tdci, was very nice to drive more entertaining if less well built than the Audi it replaced. Did 55ish to the gallon pulled well. They all seem to suffer with the awkward tensioner 'rattle eye pulley' caused by a bad design. It's annoying but not the end of the world. Mine was a later shape...06 and had the euro 5 engine and as such an EGR valve that was sensored up, couldn't be removed or blanked and subsequently played up. Think I paid close to Ł300 for a new Ford only part. Rear bumper sagged and snapped its mounting brackets, a common ST problem. It also had a replacement nav antenna. Overall it was quick enough, comfortable, economical although my confidence was knocked by the EGR problem and resulting eml limp home mode. Would I have another? Yes possibly, but only less than five years old with history and even then i'd buy a decent warranty. These middle aged diesels can be mega money to fix especially if it is an injector or clutch. But this is true of all makes, not just ford!
Old 26-12-2011, 12:04 AM
BRIGSPORT
UNAUTHORISED DEVELOPMENTS

My mk3 lx tdci estate is the first of the facelifts on a 53 reg with the 6 speed box. Have owned since march, bought as a cat d for Ł1200, have done clutch/flywheel, rear calipers/discs, various boost pipes, decat, remap and k&n cone filter.
Have done over 15000 miles in that time, and can't think of anything that would be any better for the money. And it drives as good as any modern machine, and does 45 mpg all day long with my "spirited" driving style! Pmsl
The key to avoiding injector/pump probs is not to run it on shite supermarket fuel.
Also, mine is the pre electric egr and is simply blanked off!

Last edited by BRIGSPORT; 26-12-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 26-12-2011, 12:48 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

I had an 03 tdci 130 ghia x from 30k to 70k for three years and all I did was service it, very robust, handled ace for a big estate and did nothing but service it. DMf and injector stories are just as common on other makes and IME not as common on mondeos as forums suggest. unbeatable tool for the pittance they cost to buy
Old 26-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

I would defo have one.
Old 26-12-2011, 10:09 AM
gouch1

as above also on the later ones electronic actuator can fail causing glow plug light and limp mode
Old 26-12-2011, 01:59 PM
cossiegreg1
PassionFord Post Troll

I wouldn't have another TDCI Ford. Nothing but bother.
Old 26-12-2011, 02:13 PM
gouch1

tdci posted on this forum is usualy followed by the word problem
i also would not have another
if you have predictive wording on google type ford tdci dont press enter see what it brings up

Last edited by gouch1; 26-12-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 26-12-2011, 02:16 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Get a good one and it will serve you well. Many many more are reliable and trouble free, but you hear about the bad ones, as they're an utter pain when they go wrong (as with all other modern common rail diesels)

I've had more than my fair share of issues with mine, but I'd have one again in a flash.

Be wary of going for a low miler - There's a lot to be said for getting one thats done say 80-90K and has has the injectors, DMF etc already done.
Old 26-12-2011, 02:30 PM
phil_rs
yam yammer

VAG 1.9 TDi PD lump is a far better prospect IMO
Old 26-12-2011, 03:22 PM
andy130
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by phil69a
pd's are dam good engine,
Old 26-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Mister G

Originally Posted by phil69a
Agreed....
Old 26-12-2011, 07:04 PM
daviddunlop83

Originally Posted by Mister G
I had a ST tdci, was very nice to drive more entertaining if less well built than the Audi it replaced. Did 55ish to the gallon pulled well. They all seem to suffer with the awkward tensioner 'rattle eye pulley' caused by a bad design. It's annoying but not the end of the world. Mine was a later shape...06 and had the euro 5 engine and as such an EGR valve that was sensored up, couldn't be removed or blanked and subsequently played up. Think I paid close to Ł300 for a new Ford only part. Rear bumper sagged and snapped its mounting brackets, a common ST problem. It also had a replacement nav antenna. Overall it was quick enough, comfortable, economical although my confidence was knocked by the EGR problem and resulting eml limp home mode. Would I have another? Yes possibly, but only less than five years old with history and even then i'd buy a decent warranty. These middle aged diesels can be mega money to fix especially if it is an injector or clutch. But this is true of all makes, not just ford!
The euro 4 engine was when the egr valve changed to a electronic type. Also you can buy the exact same egr valve from jag for around Ł115

The rear bumper issue is a pita but easily fixed by screwing it behind the trim into the crash bar. It was caused due to ford removing the foam support blocks
Old 26-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Gadget
Spanner monkey

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've got an St tdci, 05 plate, 111k miles, love it, had it for around a year and had no problems.
I've blanked the egr, de catted and removed the rear box. Pulls well and i rarely see less than 50mpg!
Next up is an airtec large front mount and an Evolution chip. People have seen 208bhp and 441lb!!!!
Mines got the factory fitted screens and dvd multimedia which makes fitting a ps2 for the kids a doddle!!!
Old 26-12-2011, 08:21 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by gouch1
tdci posted on this forum is usualy followed by the word problem
i also would not have another
if you have predictive wording on google type ford tdci dont press enter see what it brings up
The same is true for most cars though. You don't post on a forum to say how great and reliable your car has been.

All cars have issues, and the more of that model that are sold, the more you hear about the problems.

There's a taxi rank local to me who only use Mondeo TDCis, as he had so many problems with other cars he'd used.

Granted if you get injector or pump issues you can be in for a BIG bill, but they can go on for miles with no issues.
Old 26-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Mister G

Originally Posted by daviddunlop83
The euro 4 engine was when the egr valve changed to a electronic type. Also you can buy the exact same egr valve from jag for around Ł115

The rear bumper issue is a pita but easily fixed by screwing it behind the trim into the crash bar. It was caused due to ford removing the foam support blocks
True enough, apparently Ford revised the design on the replacement bumpers, apologies, thought it was euro 5, might well have that wrong. Shitter that I didn't know about the valve though! should have though to check!
Old 26-12-2011, 11:16 PM
daviddunlop83

Originally Posted by Mister G
True enough, apparently Ford revised the design on the replacement bumpers, apologies, thought it was euro 5, might well have that wrong. Shitter that I didn't know about the valve though! should have though to check!
The egr valves are so crap. My one was done a year before I bought the car and then I had to do it again.

Apparently the revised bumper people got under warranty wasnt much better and they went down the screw route too. I priced a new one which was around 700 plus vat

Mine also needed the sat Nav base replaced also when I got it, again shit design with a crap seal to stop water getting into it.

Touch wood the injectors and dmf are good at the min anyway

I read that the ST got such a bad rep for injector problems mainly on the earlier models as ford fu>ked up the map and later revised this on all later 06 on models which are apparently no more common to have injector problems that any other diesel engine.
Old 26-12-2011, 11:28 PM
andy130
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by daviddunlop83
The egr valves are so crap. My one was done a year before I bought the car and then I had to do it again.

Apparently the revised bumper people got under warranty wasnt much better and they went down the screw route too. I priced a new one which was around 700 plus vat

Mine also needed the sat Nav base replaced also when I got it, again shit design with a crap seal to stop water getting into it.

Touch wood the injectors and dmf are good at the min anyway

I read that the ST got such a bad rep for injector problems mainly on the earlier models as ford fu>ked up the map and later revised this on all later 06 on models which are apparently no more common to have injector problems that any other diesel engine.
700+vat fucking hell what was it made of gold when my brother bought his zs ford told him to buy from 04 upwards as the early ones had lots of bother, what model is yours david?
Old 27-12-2011, 07:50 AM
daviddunlop83

Originally Posted by andy130
700+vat fucking hell what was it made of gold when my brother bought his zs ford told him to buy from 04 upwards as the early ones had lots of bother, what model is yours david?
Mine is a late 06 ST tdci. When I first got it it needed few things done as said, satnav ariel base, rear bumper fixed, new egr. Plus all the small parts for removed to save money like the caps to cover screws on door handle inside, some plastic trim parts in engine bay, rubber seals at front of bumper.

It's crazy the stuff they removed to save money, my old 2000 tddi zetec s had all these parts fitted so pissed me off knowing they were missing.

I bought mine with 75k on it as it was spec I wanted with recaro half leather with alcantra, xeon's, sat Nav, parking sensors etc.

I know someone went for low miles and got one around 40k and is having bother with it already.

Prob with the ST is the parts for dmf ate nearly twice price than a normal tdci dunno if the other 2.2 models share the same dmf as the ST tho
Old 27-12-2011, 07:37 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The traders are running scared of these at auctions,there's plenty not even being bid on,which is a pity as their decent quick motors WHEN working,but these pump/injector issues have put so many people off now as they can occurr at anytime.
Pd passat/a4/a6 estate is a much better car in nearly every way,but they are pricier.
My mate has a 54 plate tdci with 78k on the clock and sounds as rough as a dog.
He bought it cheap but is now being offered next to nothing on p/x as their rep in the trade is so bad.
Not for me,get either the vw's listed above or a Volvo d5.
Old 27-12-2011, 07:52 PM
phil_rs
yam yammer

Originally Posted by vaughant
The traders are running scared of these at auctions,there's plenty not even being bid on,which is a pity as their decent quick motors WHEN working,but these pump/injector issues have put so many people off now as they can occurr at anytime.
Pd passat/a4/a6 estate is a much better car in nearly every way,but they are pricier.
My mate has a 54 plate tdci with 78k on the clock and sounds as rough as a dog.
He bought it cheap but is now being offered next to nothing on p/x as their rep in the trade is so bad.
Not for me,get either the vw's listed above or a Volvo d5.
Have sold many Volvo S60/V70 D5s and I love em! Super smooth lump and 163PS
Old 27-12-2011, 11:11 PM
cossie.087
Regular Contributor

everyone has there own opinions when it comes to mondeos i have 01 wagon nearly 12 months 160,000 miles no problems and my better half has 03 tdci 130bhp from new 90,000 miles apart from one rear wheel bearing and new hand break cables no problems.
Old 28-12-2011, 12:06 AM
It's Czech Mate

I promise you traders my way are not 'running scared' of them
Old 28-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Derby_Gav
PassionFord Regular

My dad has ran three mk3 mondeos to over 130k from new and the only problem he had was that on one of them the turbo shit itself and ran the engine dry of oil. Luckily a new turbo and shells later it was fine and he carried on using it for a fair while.

It's the luck of the draw really!

Still not sure I would have one though!
Old 28-12-2011, 04:36 PM
cossiegreg1
PassionFord Post Troll

If you buy a TDCI Ford Pre 05. You will end up replacing the pump/injectors somewhere around the 100k mark, FACT
Old 28-12-2011, 05:16 PM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by cossiegreg1
If you buy a TDCI Ford Pre 05. You will end up replacing the pump/injectors somewhere around the 100k mark, FACT
Utter bullshit

FACT
Old 29-12-2011, 10:56 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by cossiegreg1
It's not uncommon, but it's hardly 'fact'. There are cars on well over 100k with the original injectors/pump.

If I was buying a second hand one I'd favour a higher mileage car with the work already done, than a low miles car with the original parts.
Old 29-12-2011, 12:29 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by It's Czech Mate
I promise you traders my way are not 'running scared' of them
Just saying it how I see it mate,same ones in and out of the auctions week after week,not fetching a grand on 04/05 plates.
I'd love one myself but as I do such silly mileages on my drives back and forth to Scotland I can't chance any breakdowns.
I wouldn't fancy a pump failing around the m6 about 20 miles from Carlisle/Penrith,pretty desolate up there!!!
Like what's been said above it can happen to any car but these old pd passats and golfs seem to go forever.
Mine did 175k and drove as new,it was easily the roughest one I'd seen as well!!!
Old 29-12-2011, 12:34 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Two years old admittedly but you don't need to look far to find problems!!

https://passionford.com/forum/genera...i-problem.html
Old 29-12-2011, 01:22 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by vaughant
Two years old admittedly but you don't need to look far to find problems!!

https://passionford.com/forum/genera...i-problem.html
?? Type in any car make and model and you get the same, so that's hardly conclusive!!

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...!-Help!!/page1

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/po...ex.htm?t=91669

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=209078.0

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/281899/1914114.aspx

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=844775
Old 29-12-2011, 02:01 PM
It's Czech Mate

So pd vags don't have DM flywheel problems, cam belts need doing at 50k and shit waterpumps? Riiiiiiiight
Old 29-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

My friend had one with a MSD remap, it was a great car.

Benni
Old 29-12-2011, 02:30 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

It gets on my tits when people go on about how good VWs Audis are. I used to work with 2 lads 1 used to work for VW and the other for Audi and they both said there not as good as people think they are.

Its the same with Toyota. I worked on them for 2 years. Well so much for jap reliabilty.They were shite.
Old 29-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Im not saying fords are the best in the world but i work on a fleet of vans which are vauxhalls fords and ldv,s. Ive worked on them for 3 years and i will be totaly honest here.The ford trannys and connect engines very rarely go wrong.The only problems on them are egr valves.
We have one tranny with 235,000 miles on it.Its on the original engine and components

Then theres the 1.3 diesel combo vans.The engines are shite coolent pipes split egr valves stick turbo acctuators stick timing chains snap fuel pumps leak water pumps nack up.