View Single Post
Old 26-12-2011, 07:04 PM
daviddunlop83
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister G
I had a ST tdci, was very nice to drive more entertaining if less well built than the Audi it replaced. Did 55ish to the gallon pulled well. They all seem to suffer with the awkward tensioner 'rattle eye pulley' caused by a bad design. It's annoying but not the end of the world. Mine was a later shape...06 and had the euro 5 engine and as such an EGR valve that was sensored up, couldn't be removed or blanked and subsequently played up. Think I paid close to £300 for a new Ford only part. Rear bumper sagged and snapped its mounting brackets, a common ST problem. It also had a replacement nav antenna. Overall it was quick enough, comfortable, economical although my confidence was knocked by the EGR problem and resulting eml limp home mode. Would I have another? Yes possibly, but only less than five years old with history and even then i'd buy a decent warranty. These middle aged diesels can be mega money to fix especially if it is an injector or clutch. But this is true of all makes, not just ford!
The euro 4 engine was when the egr valve changed to a electronic type. Also you can buy the exact same egr valve from jag for around £115

The rear bumper issue is a pita but easily fixed by screwing it behind the trim into the crash bar. It was caused due to ford removing the foam support blocks