General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Interesting insurance scenario

Search this Thread

Old 25-09-2010, 07:35 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Interesting insurance scenario

A man of nearly 70 breaks his front bumper, he duly contacts his insurers as he is fully comp, assessor comes out, then informs him that is doesn't have the original wheels on the car, and that he would inform the insurers.
Insurers ring and refuse the claim, and also load £60 a year for non std wheels.
Just serves as a warning that these things do happen, this is all 100% accurate, as it was my dad it happened to.
Of course he's now shopping around insurers, and yes entirely his fault it happened, just might make some think twice about undeclared mods, would hate to see someones pride and joy get bashed and not paid for.
tabetha
Old 25-09-2010, 07:40 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used to work in insurance, never again, as far as I am concerned they are all greedy bastards!
Old 25-09-2010, 07:54 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

my misses insurance asked her:

does the car have any modifications - ok, perfectly normal and the answer was no

but then asked...

does it have any additional extra's - so if you have a car that has all the extra's fitted, are you going to have to list them?? this was on a fiesta ST so not like it was a 1.4l with st bits added on?

Seemed odd to me?
Old 25-09-2010, 07:58 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

I would declare everything just in case. Afterall, bloody insurance investigator wouldn't ever know what ALL the optional extras are on every model of car thats on the road would they?
Old 25-09-2010, 07:59 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 261 Likes on 240 Posts

Insurance companies are criminals. Simple as that.

I dont think there are any standard cars in existence with over 15k on them.

Nevermind the wheels, what about any replacement parts ? tyres for example. A hell of a lot more important than what wheels may be fitted.
Old 25-09-2010, 08:00 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by MadMac
I would declare everything just in case.
So would you declare important items like tyres, brake pads etc ? These often get changed to inferior parts than when it left the factory.

Second to the government, insurance is the biggest scam/robbers in existence.
Old 25-09-2010, 08:04 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
So would you declare important items like tyres, brake pads etc ? These often get changed to inferior parts than when it left the factory.

Why not, they will try anything to get out of paying it!
Old 25-09-2010, 08:05 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by MadMac
I would declare everything just in case. Afterall, bloody insurance investigator wouldn't ever know what ALL the optional extras are on every model of car thats on the road would they?
Yes they would, they use the manufacturers data to see what the car had when sold.
Having spoken to a mate about 5 mins ago, he's a motorbike traffic cop, he told me they routinely are asked by mib/dvla to stop cars now suspected of having different engines and not been declared, dvla are interested as if it was a 1.2 with low tax and now a 2l for example it's tax evasion also.
EVERY car that has been found to have either undeclared mods or a bigger engine than stated is taken there and then, and only given back when modified insurance cover is produced.
Plod have the number of every insurance company and they do phone them to ask about mods and insurance specifics, as I was stopped last year and they checked that my policy for my car had driving other cars on it(it did).
Most of the impetus for this is owing to them finding much larger interesting things in the process, drugs etc.
tabetha
Old 25-09-2010, 08:10 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by stevieturbo

I had this argument with a underwriter for Privilege, I said if it doesn't have ford dust caps is it modified, as strictly as a deviation from std it is, I said I forgot which make washer fluid I used so is this modified ?
I seriously think insurers should put out more specific guidelines, as opposed to none.
I was actually asked for £45 extra on the gf's astra 1.4 merit auto(1994) because I put a cat 1 alarm immobiliser on it, that was by Pearl insurance, hence were no longer with them.
A friend we can call andy(as that's his name!!) is paid to scour forums and ebay etc for adverts of these mods on cars, so generally in these cases it's the new owner who comes unstuck.
tabetha
Old 25-09-2010, 08:14 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

but for example, the misses ST is 100% standard and come with nothing more than what it came with as brand new from the dealers.

Yet, it is fully loaded so has lots more bits, full leather, 6 disk changer, heated seats etc etc than many other standard ST models.

So how does it work then? I wouldn't be able to tell you what car has what from the factory and what was an extra ordered by the first owner?? The list would be endless??
Old 25-09-2010, 08:16 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Oh yeah,their getting shocking.I work(only til Thursday) in the bodywork trade and it's piss take time right now,haven't long done a car that was paintstrippered and dented all down the side with a hammer and they tried to make the client do two claims as he couldn't prove that it was all done at the same time,cunts,it was an 09 voyager and had obvious panel damage right down the side exactly the size of a ball pein hammer!!!!

Mate of mine had a letter through t'other day saying that his insurance company are going to bankrupt him due to him owing them £3500 for a payout.....that wasn't his fault!!!they're suspicious about the OTHER car as apparently the car was only insured that day?now,my mates fully comp and it's HIS insurance company trying to recover the money fro
him,now I always thought fully comp was fully comp?they haven't even offered him the option of just paying his excess and claiming directly from them,cunts.

I did a bit of recovery work from crashes last year and at first all was well but in the end a lot of the companies point blank refused to pay my recovery and storage charges,always on the cars worth fuck all of course,anything of value you could guarantee they were there the next morning with their own recovery firm.

Their total cunts to everyone and I hate them with a passion,I know it's essential but posts like tabethas just prove how pathetic their becoming.
Old 25-09-2010, 08:19 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

That is part of the problem matt, in essence anything not ford(for a ford) is a modification, but it's silly as you know with older fords cossie etc you just can't get the ford bits anymore.
Other than hope for no issues I don't know what to suggest tbh.
tabetha
Old 25-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Escy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a bit worried about the insurance on my car. I have an E36 M3 Evo, it's 100% as it left the factory but it has over 20k of AC Schnitzer goodies fitted when brand new.

It's got a carbon kevlar bumpers, kevlar wider wings, coilovers, exhaust, 18" split rims, etc.

The insurance company i'm with gave me a cracking price for a non modified M3 Evo, technically it's not modified but they'd think i'm taking the piss if my car was ever inspected.

Worried if I was to inform them of the spec they'd hike the insurance to a level I can't afford or not cover me at all. The company i'm with quoted me 3 times cheaper than everyone else.
Old 25-09-2010, 09:11 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Originally Posted by tabetha
I had this argument with a underwriter for Privilege, I said if it doesn't have ford dust caps is it modified, as strictly as a deviation from std it is, I said I forgot which make washer fluid I used so is this modified ?
I seriously think insurers should put out more specific guidelines, as opposed to none.
I was actually asked for £45 extra on the gf's astra 1.4 merit auto(1994) because I put a cat 1 alarm immobiliser on it, that was by Pearl insurance, hence were no longer with them.
A friend we can call andy(as that's his name!!) is paid to scour forums and ebay etc for adverts of these mods on cars, so generally in these cases it's the new owner who comes unstuck.
tabetha
The most ridiculous part is. Insurance companies literally bend over backwards to throw money at fraudulent injury claimants. yet when a genuine claim is made, they go to the same lengths to deny that claim.

Ive seen loads of cases were false injury claims been made, and the insurance company have been told its false. Yet within 6 months or so, they have paid out without the innocent party even being informed.

A friend is still trying to recoup his costs after his insurance paid out to someone who drove into him on the wrong side of the road !!! I think the drunk driver in this case was a cop or something though. As he left the scene immediately an ambulance arrived ( 20mph impact on a very sharp corner ) and the cop documenting the scene totally falsified his written diagrams etc trying to blame my friend.
Nobody was breathalised either.....quite convenient.

It went to court, and the scum fell to pieces on the stand, even admitting he was in the wrong.

But...the cop was never charged with anything, nor was the drunk driver. Go figure. the only person who lost out in added insurance costs, time off work for court, lost earnings etc was the totally innocent party.
The cop and his drunken buddy even failed to appear 3 times before the court !!! If my mate hadnt shown up once, he'd have been found guilty immediately.

IMO, every single cunt in insurance needs shot, burnt and fucked into the sea. Corrupt dishonest bastards.
Old 25-09-2010, 10:38 PM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

Lesson learnt there Tabetha , declare everything!! including the extra 2 cylinders it has ha ha
My friend with a heavily modified Capri had an agreed valuation , reciepts shown , car seen etc etc , seems to be agood way to go especially if lots of mods and costs

mike
Old 26-09-2010, 08:22 AM
DaveZS
Better use my strong hand

Originally Posted by tabetha
A man of nearly 70 breaks his front bumper, he duly contacts his insurers as he is fully comp, assessor comes out, then informs him that is doesn't have the original wheels on the car, and that he would inform the insurers.
Insurers ring and refuse the claim, and also load £60 a year for non std wheels.
Just serves as a warning that these things do happen, this is all 100% accurate, as it was my dad it happened to.
Of course he's now shopping around insurers, and yes entirely his fault it happened, just might make some think twice about undeclared mods, would hate to see someones pride and joy get bashed and not paid for.
tabetha
Pretty standard tbh, you do have to declare if it's been modified, how ever small it may be. Chances are, if he'd have told them in the first place it wouldn't of made a difference to the premium.

Originally Posted by matts1
my misses insurance asked her:

does the car have any modifications - ok, perfectly normal and the answer was no

but then asked...

does it have any additional extra's - so if you have a car that has all the extra's fitted, are you going to have to list them?? this was on a fiesta ST so not like it was a 1.4l with st bits added on?

Seemed odd to me?
Yep. Optional extras = more tempting for a scrote to pinch. It's not always about modifications to make the car faster etc.

Originally Posted by Escy
I'm a bit worried about the insurance on my car. I have an E36 M3 Evo, it's 100% as it left the factory but it has over 20k of AC Schnitzer goodies fitted when brand new.

It's got a carbon kevlar bumpers, kevlar wider wings, coilovers, exhaust, 18" split rims, etc.

The insurance company i'm with gave me a cracking price for a non modified M3 Evo, technically it's not modified but they'd think i'm taking the piss if my car was ever inspected.

Worried if I was to inform them of the spec they'd hike the insurance to a level I can't afford or not cover me at all. The company i'm with quoted me 3 times cheaper than everyone else.
I would check that mate!

The trouble is, we all go for the cheapest insurance quotes as no one likes paying it. But cheap doesn't mean you'll get a good service if the worse happens.
Insurance companies will try everything to get out of a claim, don't give them anything to go on!
Old 26-09-2010, 10:52 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by opposite lock
Lesson learnt there Tabetha , declare everything!! including the extra 2 cylinders it has ha ha
My friend with a heavily modified Capri had an agreed valuation , reciepts shown , car seen etc etc , seems to be agood way to go especially if lots of mods and costs

mike
Hi Mike,
It was the mondeo not the V8 4i(which is insured as such), can't really miss that sound track!!
I'm willing to bet that by the time ANY car is 1 or 2 year old it cannot be standard, different wipers, tyres, pads.
In the case of the mondeo it was mine I purchased from a damaged repairable brand new engine built by me and gearbox(auto) by place in erith kent(who are incompetent), had two seized pistons I couldn't shift had to be pressed out, and no3 big end shells friction welded to the crank after running with zero oil and water until it stopped.
I insured this car with those wheels declared and the reason the "owner" who had defaulted on payment stole the wheels from the yard where it had come to rest(towed there from the A11) so was on 2 14" and two 15" steels that were lying around just to trailer it home.
I explained the new alloys were cheaper than the ford ones(I got the ford price and part number) and were locked on with 4 lock nuts each wheel as well as cat 1 fitted by me, still has original working ford alarm, had the usual hassle, then spoke to one of their underwriters a lady who was a petrol head!! and she said no problem duly noted and not loaded for, neither was the "modified" engine as was now 1st oversize as they wouldn't touch the modified engine to start with.
The whole point is where does it stop, they need to put out guidelines, a arse I know got paid out when his scoob was stolen and found burnt out after he left the keys in and engine running outside the newsagent he was in I think this is not taking reasonable care.
Should have known better being a cop(pcso) but he got paid out, rumour has it it may not have been casual theft as engine was knackered, but I don't know about that true or not.
tabetha
Old 26-09-2010, 11:58 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

most newer cars have their specs listed from teh factory if you dish out a reg number

i know they do it for all fords from around 2000 onwards that lists everyting that was fitted from teh factory