General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Ordered an RS3, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 12:57 PM
Eigdoog
±§~Quadzackular~§±

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Ordered an RS3, thoughts?

Hello all!

Ive been looking at one of these since they come out this year. I could not have a test drive though as the oil pump or something went on the RS3's.

Ive been looking at the S5 more than anything and even got 8.5k off one! but after trying the RS3 it really made my mind up.

So i went Tuesday just for a "test" drive since I've looked at the CLA 45 AMG Sunday and i must say its crap compared the the Audi. But while on the drive today i loved every minute and loved the launch control even more! Come back inside to "look" at figures then ordered one!

I need to wait till April for it though

Ive gone for:
Nardo grey
Grey super sport seats / Black head lining
Comfort and sound package
Privacy glass
Non smoking package
Advanced key
Wider tyres at the front with black alloys
Red calipers
High gloss styling package
Tyre / GAP / Smart protect insurance
Paint protection

Maybe not to everyones taste but thats why we can build our own ones.

Love to hear from every else, sure someone will have something bad to say about it but hey oh!

Thanks for looking.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:02 PM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Won't hear anything bad from me about them, would love one. Congrats.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:31 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

non smoking package....? does that mean you pay more to not get a cigarette lighter or ashtray?
why such a long wait to get it?
Old 12-09-2015, 01:42 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

the golf R is supposed to be better, personally i would have bought the merc if it was my money
Old 12-09-2015, 02:00 PM
Matty_C
Regular Contributor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Really like them they don't come in manual though do they
Old 12-09-2015, 02:16 PM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Test drove a new one about two months ago, I found it very boring and unimpressive, best thing about it was the brakes. I just can't get to grips with a performance car that's an auto. Waiting list is ridiculous too.

I liked the look of it, and it would be an 'ok' car for the money. Would sound epic with aftermarket pipes. Everyone likes different things, just my personal opinion.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:18 PM
ELFRANCO
Regular Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Love the sound of it , reminds me of the old Audi Quattro's in the rally days......enjoy
Old 12-09-2015, 04:21 PM
Eigdoog
±§~Quadzackular~§±

Non smoking just removes the ashtray and push lighter for a 12v plug at no extra cost thank god lol.

The Merc was alright but for a start the dealer didn't want me to build my own and to have one ready built for month, i wanted different spec and colour. It felt like the turbo lag was too much for me, you put your foot down it changed gear then just wait for the power. The ride was pretty good in the passenger seat but the drivers seat was so bad i was being throw about the seat. They were the same price (with extras) but the Merc was Ł615 a month and again thats too much to spend on a car.

The Audi to me seemed faster, less lag, smoother gear changes, better ride, cheaper per month, sounded way better with a 5 pot, i had smiles all the way though the drive.

Merc very nice car but not for me IMO.

Wonder what the Golf R will be like? Maybe a better car? I did think about a Golf but just was not special enough to me. Ive never seem a RS3 on the road but I'm sure there is loads.

The wait for one (so i was told) is that they are only building so many of them so they are more "exclusive", how true this is i don't know?

I really love the auto side of things, just foot down = fast car.

I don't expect everyone to love these or even like them, its each to there own and love hearing what you think good or bad.

It should look very similar to this.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:44 PM
Fullflush
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Dojj - How can you say the Golf R is better when it is an S3 in a different shell. You are basically saying the S3 is better than an RS3 - deary me

The only car to match it is the A45/CLA45 power output wise.

Awesome car and you will get it on a 16 plate

Last edited by Fullflush; 12-09-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:52 PM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Received 347 Likes on 320 Posts

Like the look of that! Nice one.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:59 PM
Harris.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Great looking car , id like one .
Old 12-09-2015, 06:44 PM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Eigdoog
Non smoking just removes the ashtray and push lighter for a 12v plug at no extra cost thank god lol.

The Merc was alright but for a start the dealer didn't want me to build my own and to have one ready built for month, i wanted different spec and colour. It felt like the turbo lag was too much for me, you put your foot down it changed gear then just wait for the power. The ride was pretty good in the passenger seat but the drivers seat was so bad i was being throw about the seat. They were the same price (with extras) but the Merc was Ł615 a month and again thats too much to spend on a car.

The Audi to me seemed faster, less lag, smoother gear changes, better ride, cheaper per month, sounded way better with a 5 pot, i had smiles all the way though the drive.

Merc very nice car but not for me IMO.

Wonder what the Golf R will be like? Maybe a better car? I did think about a Golf but just was not special enough to me. Ive never seem a RS3 on the road but I'm sure there is loads.

The wait for one (so i was told) is that they are only building so many of them so they are more "exclusive", how true this is i don't know?

I really love the auto side of things, just foot down = fast car.

I don't expect everyone to love these or even like them, its each to there own and love hearing what you think good or bad.

It should look very similar to this.

Now that's nice, I would have gone for the golf r as I prefer the understated looks but I imagine the rs3 is a bit more powerful!

Would love to order a new car but just can't justify the huge costs that come with them. Thinking about a focus RS next year as the little one will be in school at last! I've spent the cost of a new car on nursery fees over the last couple years!!
Old 12-09-2015, 07:39 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Looks weird with roof rails in a 4dr.......like a fabia estate in that pic ��

Appreciate is more useful but way uglier than a 3 dr ( if they make one?)

Cool colour
Old 12-09-2015, 07:50 PM
Eigdoog
±§~Quadzackular~§±

They only sell it as a 5 door and they might sell the saloon next year but don't think its been confirmed.

I was thinking of waiting for the Focus RS but didn't want to wait but now it seems like I've got too (cry) . Think it will be worth the wait.

Ive also gone for the wider front tyres, the demo car didn't have this on but I've been told it should handle a lot better, how true could this be?
Old 12-09-2015, 08:17 PM
andy888
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

audi finish and build inside is light years ahead of a the golf! not even comparable. audi A3 sport backs in all guises are awesome. lovely car that will hold its money reasonably well. good choice. my next car will be an S3 sportback in misano red or mica racing. love the looks of them.

just my opinion of course. but am afraid if you think vw and audis are comparable in build quality your very deluded!
Old 12-09-2015, 08:18 PM
chris cdti

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There is a few RS3's knocking about work. For me they sound terrible, the noise is comparable to a 1200 Corsa. When they are idling away or moving about the yard you.can just hear a loud BOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRREEEE. Ive not driven one yet so I cant comment on the sound inside etc. They do look smart on the outside and the front discs will make people look twice at them.
As for the Golf R yes they are quite good and the pick up on them is very impressive for a standard car but the RS3 would be in a different league in performance as its approx 60-70 bhp more.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:24 PM
chris cdti

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by andy888
audi finish and build inside is light years ahead of a the golf! not even comparable. audi A3 sport backs in all guises are awesome. lovely car that will hold its money reasonably well. good choice. my next car will be an S3 sportback in misano red or mica racing. love the looks of them.

just my opinion of course. but am afraid if you think vw and audis are comparable in build quality your very deluded!
I disagree, I wouldn't say the Audi A3 is Light years ahead of Golf 7 for instance. Both are put together equally well just look different.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:31 PM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

That looks awesome mate and I bet it will move well. Regarding the Golf, why would you want a Golf if you were in a position to get an RS3?
Old 12-09-2015, 08:32 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Drive a Golf R and you will understand

I'm just developing a tune for the new RS3 so that will be interesting

Rick
Old 12-09-2015, 08:45 PM
Eigdoog
±§~Quadzackular~§±

Just saw your post on Audi sport.

Ive been looking for somewhere to tune it if needed but nowhere so far seems to do one.

What power are you hoping for with a stage 1 and 2?
Old 12-09-2015, 08:48 PM
dojj

Originally Posted by Fullflush
Dojj - How can you say the Golf R is better when it is an S3 in a different shell. You are basically saying the S3 is better than an RS3 - deary me

Gearbox makes the difference from ask the reviews
Old 12-09-2015, 08:50 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

It's a little too early to tell, need to test the intercooler efficiency etc, but I expect around 415bhp (420PS ish)

Rick
Old 12-09-2015, 08:53 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Fullflush

Afraid it's not that simple, the Golf R drives MUCH better than the S3 even though they might appear to be the "same" car. I drive both every week and it really is quite the difference.

Rick
The following users liked this post:
Fullflush (13-09-2015)
Old 12-09-2015, 08:56 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Why has it got roof bars. Go and test drive a focus st or wait till next year and buy a focus rs.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:57 PM
Eigdoog
±§~Quadzackular~§±

All sounding good, don't think i would do it right away but 95% sure a remap will be on the cards.

Do keep me posted somehow as would love to know how these get on.

Dojj i understood VW and Audi use most the same parts? Not saying the Golf is rubbish but the RS3 gear changes were instant IMO but again not been in a Golf so can't comment on that.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:05 PM
Hellraiser
Regular Contributor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd love Rs4 or Rs6 don't like a3s myself, but tbf it does look nice car! Golf of any variant looks like a golf no matter what you do to it so y spend all that money on Golf R/R32 when it looks like 1.6 diesel model! Audi IMO far better looking car, my mate had early R32 bragged saying it chipped modded to 400bhp, gotta say I was very very unimpressed. As others have said I'd wait for new Focus Rs
Old 13-09-2015, 12:25 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

I agree about all the golfs look the same.
Old 13-09-2015, 01:27 PM
It's Czech Mate

I would deco have a drive of a new golf r, deeply impressive, far better than it 'should' be on paper.
Old 13-09-2015, 01:36 PM
It's Czech Mate

Dojj i understood VW and Audi use most the same parts? .
I think you'll find skoda , seat, Audi and vw all share common parts and platforms. It's just more sound deadening and heavier trim the further up the food chain you go. If anybody is going to suggest that audis are more reliable as they're better built then warn me so I can sit down to chuckle because in my experience they aren't.

In terms of the year change any differences will be down to the mapping probably 👍🏻
Old 13-09-2015, 01:39 PM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by andy888

I think you're confusing build with Spec.

The Audi just has better specified trim.

I'd say that Skoda are 'better built' out of the VAG family as they always come out miles ahead on the reliability surveys.
Old 13-09-2015, 02:56 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Wow a merc is ÂŁ615 a month! That's nearly my entire rent lol. Out of interest how much is the Audi a month? Looks like a really nice car! Is it a company car?
Old 13-09-2015, 03:10 PM
dojj

Old 13-09-2015, 03:13 PM
Eigdoog
±§~Quadzackular~§±

Ive been looking at cars since March and almost got a S4, RS4, S5 and an S6. Ive been and looked at them all and almost got them there and then... Glad i waited really as non of them felt special.

Ive been in a Skoda and find them "tinnie" to say an Audi as in build quality.

Its not an company car, I'm self employed but got this on a personal contract.
I would rather not say how much exactly but its a little bit cheaper than the Merc. The Audi with that spec is a tad under 45k and as for money off since its new its been hard to get anything good off but i got Ł1080 off list price. Might get rid of the Tyre / GAP / Smart protect insurance and Paint protection and get a sat-nav ill never use (cry) and then wrap it in 3m clear coat.

I see it as you only live once and when I'm 50 i don't think ill want something like this, maybe something like an S5 then for just floating about in.

Do like the tags though lol.
Old 13-09-2015, 04:56 PM
It's Czech Mate

Probably for another thread as I don't want to go on on your new car thread
But to me you are confusing build quality with the spec of the interior.
No doubt the Audi feels many times more special and solid than the Skoda but the Skoda is no less well screwed together and as I said are more reliable if the industry surveys are to be believed , given they use the same platforms, drive trains and many common parts then how else can this be?

I'm certainly not banging a drum as I'm actually driving a bmw currently but I do think build quality is often confused with the specification (mainly the interior, sound deadening, trim etc )
Old 13-09-2015, 05:01 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ive been looking at cars since March and almost got a S4, RS4, S5 and an S6. Ive been and looked at them all and almost got them there and then... Glad i waited really as non of them felt special.

Its not an company car, I'm self employed but got this on a personal contract.
I would rather not say how much exactly but its a little bit cheaper than the Merc. The Audi with that spec is a tad under 45k and as for money off since its new its been hard to get anything good off but i got ÂŁ1080 off list price. Might get rid of the Tyre / GAP / Smart protect insurance and Paint protection and get a sat-nav ill never use (cry) and then wrap it in 3m clear coat.

I see it as you only live once and when I'm 50 i don't think ill want something like this, maybe something like an S5 then for just floating about in.

Do like the tags though lol.
Fair enough mate. Just me being nosy. Yeah u only live once. Looks like an awesome car anyway. I take it it's 5 cylinder then, what size engine is it? I know sod all about audis really but they seem the top car of choice these days, to me even an old year 2000 shape a3 still looks like a very modern car,
I had a diesel one with Audi TT wheels and looked real nice. Mind u even the old Audi tts still look a very modern car.
Old 13-09-2015, 05:13 PM
Eigdoog
±§~Quadzackular~§±

I may be getting confused, just for me the road noise and like when you shut the door.

Just ripped this from another site.

Engine: 2480cc 20v 5cyl, 362bhp @ 5500-6800rpm, 343lb ft @ 1625-5550rpm
Transmission: Seven-speed dual-clutch auto, four-wheel drive
Performance: 4.3sec 0-62mph, 155mph, 34.9mpg, 189g/km
Weight / material: 1595kg/steel, aluminium
Old 13-09-2015, 05:45 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I may be getting confused, just for me the road noise and like when you shut the door.

362bhp bloody hell thats got some poke! Be nice to have something that sort of power from the factory and not have to worry about it breaking with warranty and that
The following users liked this post:
Eigdoog (13-09-2015)
Old 13-09-2015, 06:42 PM
Eigdoog
±§~Quadzackular~§±

Yeah should be great fun, hopefully remaps to be 415+ like what Rick said. Wont be getting it mapped till I've had it out of warranty though.
Old 13-09-2015, 07:26 PM
It's Czech Mate

Mega engines them, I had a try of a TT RS with that in, fantastic
Old 13-09-2015, 07:27 PM
andy888

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

forgot these were up at 45k, you will love it, i would of went for the SQ5 at that money personally.

we all have our own opinions, thats what makes us different. enjoy it, it will be an awesome car.

Quick Reply: Ordered an RS3, thoughts?