General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Who here has an SIA licence?

Search this Thread

Old 15-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Big-Dan
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Who here has an SIA licence?

As above, who has one?

The reason I ask is that I have just completed day 1 of 4 of a "Door Supervisors" course and it bored me to fuck. Don't get me wrong, I'll be grateful for doing when I get my licence as I've got a job lined up already which pays £10 an hour standard rate, but come on, 4 x 8 hour days in a sweaty dingy class room to obtain something that in all honesty should take no more than 2 days.

There are some genuine interesting facts about law, civil rights, discrimination etc which will no doubt come into use a some point, it really does feel as though it's being dragged out though.

Was anybody else's experience like this?

Big-Dan.
Old 15-02-2010, 06:21 PM
anodised

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no had to do an extra 1 day course and then i got mine
Old 15-02-2010, 06:30 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not allowed to do it
Old 15-02-2010, 06:32 PM
darrenr1969
Regular Contributor

I,ve got a MIA licence , I used to find mia troops in NAM
Old 15-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Big-Dan

Originally Posted by anodised
no had to do an extra 1 day course and then i got mine
What do you mean?

Did you do 5 days or 1?

Big-Dan.
Old 15-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Big-Dan

Originally Posted by mrjenrst
not allowed to do it
Asylum seeker?

Big-Dan.
Old 15-02-2010, 06:38 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Big-Dan
Asylum seeker?

Big-Dan.
Yeah,
Durka durka jihad
Old 15-02-2010, 06:41 PM
cozzy jeff
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

after working as a door superviser for 9 years i had to do the new sia training,did the traing and when i apllied for the badge they knocked me back because i had a conviction for abh that wasnt spent,it was spent 5 weeks after the training but would not budge what pisses me off is they charge you for doing the course then do the police check then knock you back and still take your money,they should do the police check first,its all about making money.
Old 15-02-2010, 06:42 PM
XRdodgybird
Praise the XR!

Keith has his and yes he found it boring, just think yourself lucky you are doing it independantly cos he did it through the job centre and had to do maths and English NVQ for two weeks beforehand!
Old 15-02-2010, 06:42 PM
anodised

What do you mean?

Did you do 5 days or 1?

Big-Dan.
3 days 2 days when i started with chubb and then an extra day when they said u need an sia
Old 15-02-2010, 06:45 PM
XRdodgybird
Praise the XR!

Originally Posted by cozzy jeff
after working as a door superviser for 9 years i had to do the new sia training,did the traing and when i apllied for the badge they knocked me back because i had a conviction for abh that wasnt spent,it was spent 5 weeks after the training but would not budge what pisses me off is they charge you for doing the course then do the police check then knock you back and still take your money,they should do the police check first,its all about making money.

They've just recently dropped the standards, re-apply.
Old 15-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Big-Dan

I'd apply again if I was you mate. I received a caution for battery 8 years ago (which I learnt today is classed as GBH), the old chap said before I enrolled on the course that he's confident that my CRB will come back clean.

It fooking better be unless he wants me to re-offend

Big-Dan.
Old 15-02-2010, 06:58 PM
cozzy jeff
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by XRdodgybird
They've just recently dropped the standards, re-apply.
not interested anymore mate been out of it for about 4 years now,i really miss the crack with the lads though,and the birds of course.
Old 15-02-2010, 08:08 PM
bigal1978
PassionFord Post Troll

[quote=cozzy jeff;4725792]not interested anymore mate been out of it for about 4 years now,i really miss the crack with the lads though,and the birds of course.[/quot

i miss it to but 10 QUID an hour u can get that stacking shelfs in tescos at night
and u would have to work 50 odd hours just to cover the sia badge
i was getting £10 on pubs and more in clubs 5 years ago
Old 15-02-2010, 08:13 PM
BLACKCOS
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

done the course years ago not bothering renewing £245 for a badge again
Old 15-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Big-Dan

Originally Posted by bigal1978
not interested anymore mate been out of it for about 4 years now,i really miss the crack with the lads though,and the birds of course.
i miss it to but 10 QUID an hour u can get that stacking shelfs in tescos at night
Do you really want to be stacking shelves though? I'm 25 and I don't..

You don't get any perks with topping up the pot noodle stand of a night time either, where as last year when I was stewarding I got free beer, fags and general merchandise at a couple of events, had a really good time too. Obviously it's not going to be peaches and roses all the time but IMO a door job is something you do around a full time job.

I won't be doing doors, event security only if I can help it. I'd like to do abit at the local footy stadiums too.

Big-Dan.
Old 15-02-2010, 08:50 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

[QUOTE=bigal1978;4726002]
not interested anymore mate been out of it for about 4 years now,i really miss the crack with the lads though,and the birds of course.[/quot

Mate the 'new breed' of doormen arnt the same as it used to be, i've heard of a few people doing it for £7 an hour.
Old 15-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Csm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Im a CVIT licence holder
Old 15-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Big-Dan

it's as shit as £6.50 an hour in brum i was told today, partly due to a massive serge in foreign licence holders.
Old 15-02-2010, 10:27 PM
JamesyRS
PassionFord Regular

I sat the training a few weeks ago and hell was it the nail in ma forehead must admit it was pretty boring but days seemed to go in ok. You are right but it is held out for the reason they want you doing 4 x 8 hours stints so you have enough time to 'take it all in'. No offence to them but you could do it in 2 days and still pass as it aint hard and according to my mate the old training involved role play where as this is all written? Anyway in the process of paying for the card now, bit of a joke didnt relise you have to pay 245 everytime you want to renew? But anyways as you said handy thing to have around your full time job for stadiums and events etc
Old 15-02-2010, 10:30 PM
XRdodgybird
Praise the XR!

it's as shit as £6.50 an hour in brum i was told today, partly due to a massive serge in foreign licence holders.
and this is why the relaxed the entrance criteria.... cos they couldn't do background checks on the foreigners....
Old 15-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

its boring as fuck and teachs you very little practical skills which is what it should be about IMO.

Although i got mine free so cant complain really.
Old 15-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

cos they couldn't do background checks on the foreigners....
i do find it funny how all the SIA was supposed to set standards, keep criminals out the industry and now they have to back peddle to let immigrants get the license half of them could be murderers, thugs and rapists and youd never know as they cant check!!
Old 15-02-2010, 10:40 PM
XRdodgybird
Praise the XR!

The thing is with the SIA though, that any tom dick or harry can get it, but saying that you'll be any good putting it into practice is another matter. No point getting a job on the doors, if at the first sign of trouble you duck out for the next man to sort it.
Old 15-02-2010, 11:16 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The thing is with the SIA though, that any tom dick or harry can get it, but saying that you'll be any good putting it into practice is another matter. No point getting a job on the doors, if at the first sign of trouble you duck out for the next man to sort it.
Thats the thing though, years ago you'd sort it out. You cant now, its all bollocks tbh. All these daft cunts who have set the 'rules' dont realise it might be there 18 yo daughter getting hassle and what can you do about it now? Fuck all, ask them to leave but you cant really do fuck all else. Used to be grip the cunt rag him out the fire exit and give him slap for been a cunt. Cant do that, so what lesson is that?
Old 15-02-2010, 11:22 PM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I worked the doors before the introduction of the SIA badge. We lost a lot of good lads because of the SIA and since my badge expired in 09 I have not re applied for it. The "new" door lads are 90% fuckin useless and the money is not as good as it used to be. I was getting £14 an hour in pubs and £17-20 in clubs 8 years ago. Not worth doing anymore IMO. I do miss the lads and the laughs we used to have.

Last edited by BigErn; 15-02-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 15-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

I think the whole course is flawed. There should at the very least be a significant amount of basic self defence training and a LOT of restraint and person handling training as thats what youll be doing when it goes wrong. You can cause a lot of damage and injury if you dont know how to restrain people safely.

Most places make first aid compulsory, they should do the same for defence and restraint training.

Mrjenrst, they are trying to move away from the days where assault was the technique used by bouncers the idea these days is that if they behave bad you safely remove them to be arrested by police outside. The concept being that the criminal justice system will deter them in future that works - NOT!!
Old 15-02-2010, 11:25 PM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
you safely remove them to be arrested by police outside. The concept being that the criminal justice system will deter them in future
And anyone in the real world like you and I know how stupid that theory is
Old 15-02-2010, 11:30 PM
Big Will_
Borg Warner EFR Equipped!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine ran out 18 months ago, I paid £500 to do it out of my own pocket about 5 years ago when it first came in. I was head doorman at a club in Leeds earning £20 an hour so it paid for itself in about a month and paid my pocket money all the way through me being at college back then.

I guess I saw the 'changeover' from the old school lot to the 'SIA Approved' lot... The old school lot seemed to be much more 'able' when the negotiation didn't work and the pissed up/drugged up dicks wouldn't back down. As Warren says, some basic defence/restraint techniques would have been a valuable addition to the course. I ended up paying a friend of mine who was in the Parachute Regiment to spend a weekend teaching me how to stay alive, that in itself was worth every penny!
Old 15-02-2010, 11:43 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by BigErn
I worked the doors before the introduction of the SIA badge. We lost a lot of good lads because of the SIA and since my badge expired in 09 I have not re applied for it. The "new" door lads are 90% fuckin useless and the money is not as good as it used to be. I was getting £14 an hour in pubs and £17-20 in clubs 8 years ago. Not worth doing anymore IMO. I do miss the lads and the laughs we used to have.
Everyone doing the door has needed a badge in hull well before sia. It was local council who vetted you, police check and the likes. Down to network first's telly program but it wasnt as it is now. Warren the sia course is pointless tbh. There putting people who cant handle the situation, on the front line. I honestly think it causes more trouble.
Old 15-02-2010, 11:46 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Hands on practical training would weed out the ... erm.... weeds who lack the confidence to deal with difficult situations.
Old 15-02-2010, 11:54 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
Hands on practical training would weed out the ... erm.... weeds who lack the confidence to deal with difficult situations.
it wouldnt mate thats the thing. The only way of doing it is to be supervised well more been on a leash where somebody who's more experienced can keep an eye out and step in if your out your depth. When it goes off it fucking goes, simple as.
Old 16-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Big-Dan

Well, just got home from another boring 8 hour stint.

Sat a multiple choice exam today, beforehand the tutor asked the group 30 "mock" test questions just to give us an idea of what to expect, after that it was time for the real thing, turn to page one of the test paper and "oh, look at that" exactly the same questions as we had just rehearsed

I was allowed a full 60 mins to complete the test but I did it in about 3. Apparently once I receive my badge I will be eligible to apply for an airport security job with no prior security experience. Is that not a little worrying to some?

Big-Dan.
Old 16-02-2010, 05:25 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

nice hard test then?
Old 16-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Big-Dan

Oh yeah
Old 16-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

yes it is a joke. we established that ages ago though!!