General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Have you ever been charged by your bank????

Search this Thread

Old 25-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Neil S
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep us posted Jimbo!!

I'll do my claim after the weekend as I'm a lazy fecker!

Neil.
Old 31-05-2006, 08:25 PM
Neil S
PassionFord Post Troll

Right, update time!

I received this through the post today:

I'm inclined to beleive that I have them over a barrel - why else would they simply offer me £400?

I'm also sorely tempted to push for the other £490 that I have paid in charges, but migh just quit while I'm ahead

I reckon I'll kick myself over it, but I could do with the cash!

Anyone else got any news?

Neil.

PS to the non-beleivers!
Old 31-05-2006, 08:48 PM
pollocks
Advanced PassionFord User

i sent my letter off today depending the 999.40 in charges and the 40 in interest and have given them 14 days to get back to me so i'm hoping they send me a letter like this shortly but for the full amount lol i need a set up and a few other bits n pieces lol
Old 31-05-2006, 09:06 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

Neil S, try pushing, you could always back down and accept the 400quid later, it's your right

don't get hooked into a phonecall tho, use letters as then you get time to think about what to say and how to word it
Old 31-05-2006, 10:23 PM
COSSIE 1
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so what ur all saying is if my credit card company was to charge me for a late payment or going over my limit then i can get all the charges returned??????????
Old 01-06-2006, 11:23 AM
Graham S1
PassionFord Post Troll

try reading the thread
Old 01-06-2006, 12:14 PM
SteveH
BANNED
BANNED

i have made a formal complaint to my bank: (with help from dunlop2008 )

Dear Sir/Madam,

SORT CODE:
ACCOUNT NUMBER:

Dear Sirs,

I wish to make a complaint regarding your regime of fees which have been applied to my account, specifically since 1st July 2002, the date to which your online records date back. I calculate that I have been charged at least £1001.67 in overdraft fees and returned direct debit charges.
I ACCEPT that I have gone overdrawn on many occasions and have been charged for this. I DO NOT, however, agree with the amounts you charge. I believe they do not reflect the true cost to yourselves, and as such, I belive they are a breach of both the 1977 Unfair Terms (contracts) Act, and the 1999 Consumer Credit Act (Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts).
I have spoken to both the FSA and OFT regarding this matter and I am well aware of my rights and entitlements regariding a complaints procedure.
I therefore give you five working days to reply to me accepting unconditionally my complaint in principle. I hope that you will enter into a sincere dialogue with me about this matter and I am writing this letter to you on the assumption that you will prefer to do this than merely respond with standard letters and leaflets.

I sent this today and have also called them and dictated this down the phone for the complints dept. They have 5 working days to reply, thereafter 8 weeks and if nothing is done, i can reel in the Ombudsman to it, for a ruling. They were pretty cool about it, seemed a positive reaction.
The FSA (0845 606 1234) were very interested in this.....

All you doubters

Pauldpalmer: if its to do with CREDIT CARDS, ring the OFT (0845 722 44 99) they are currently investigating credit card companies.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Nick_RSIFEZ
Regular Contributor

i yesterday revieved my MASSIVE data protection disclosure pack from Nationwide, about a 3/4 of a reem of paper (statements) for 6 years!!

Charges total ...

£1926.89

will be sending my letter tommorow!!!
Old 01-06-2006, 12:34 PM
Farmer Giles

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have only skimmed this thread but someone mentioned mortgages earlier on.

Does anyone know if mortgage redemption penalties would be covered by this?? I have remortgaged and also moved in the last 3 years which has probably cost me over a grand in redemption penalties.

Cheers

Martyn
Old 01-06-2006, 12:43 PM
SteveH
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Graham S1
banks don't want these things to go to court.
now I'm pretty sure I know why this is (not just publicity), but would like to see what others here think on this issue. Any ideas peeps?

Cos if it does go and the consumer wins, its game over, banks will be paying out left right and centre

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally
historically there's only ever been ONE case that got as far as court, and they ruled against the bank
You mean actually going through with the proceedings?
There have been several gone to court, there was a law student took abbey to court. They no-showed, he got 5 grand, and another guy took lloyds and they did the same. There's probably more but the banks wont go through court because when they lose, they will be over a barrell and have to pay back everyone who claims.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:49 PM
Racey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

thanks for that Neil. I take it they didnt close your account once you accepted the cheque????
Old 01-06-2006, 01:37 PM
Nick D
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by Neil S
Right, update time!

I received this through the post today:

I'm inclined to beleive that I have them over a barrel - why else would they simply offer me £400?

I'm also sorely tempted to push for the other £490 that I have paid in charges, but migh just quit while I'm ahead

Neil.

PS to the non-beleivers!
Do I get half for bringing this to your attention? lol! Glad it worked for you mate! Hold out for the lot though, you'll win as they know they are wrong!
Old 01-06-2006, 01:48 PM
Graham S1
PassionFord Post Troll

quick question...

the £10 for them digging out the charges for you, is it £10 total, or per account?

So if I have 4 accounts I want them to supply charge information for it's £40?
Old 01-06-2006, 02:23 PM
Damo V
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Right, update time!

Neil.

PS to the non-beleivers!

Fook that reject their offer... they wouldnt offer the money if they thought they were in the right..

terms and conditions bollox... so what if they told you thet you will be charged, the charges are illegal ROFL..

write back giving them 14days to respond send recorded, tell them, failure to respond will result in legal action.. AS SOON AS you can, file a small claims dispute... they will not want it to get to court
Old 01-06-2006, 02:25 PM
Nick_RSIFEZ
Regular Contributor

i thought it doesn't matter whether they told you about the charges i thought it was the fac that they are dis-proportionate to the cost incurred to the bank! thus deemed unfair!

i'm still giving it a go, Just under 2k i can't not try!
Old 01-06-2006, 03:59 PM
mark_24v_wiring

This makes for some very interesting reading will be nice to see if any one else gets offered any cash back from there bank.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:06 PM
SteveH
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Nick_RSIFEZ
i thought it doesn't matter whether they told you about the charges i thought it was the fac that they are dis-proportionate to the cost incurred to the bank! thus deemed unfair!

i'm still giving it a go, Just under 2k i can't not try!
Bang on, its the fact they are disproportionate to the amount it costs them that makes it illegal, not the charges being taken.

Cane the banks lol
Old 01-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Lemon S2

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally
Neil S, try pushing, you could always back down and accept the 400quid later, it's your right
Be careful with that as I've just a legal course through work & a lot of it was based on offer & acceptance, yes dull I know , but if you reject their original offer then that makes that offer null & void & if they don't make a higher offer then they are not obligated to stand by their original offer & can go lower.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:10 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

i also bank with barclays and a few weeks back, i got charged £30 for being overdrawn by £9, bearing in mind i used to be overdrawn every month over my overdraft and earlier on last year i was £1k overdrawn on a £300 overdraft, i rang them up and complained about the charge and "dropped in " that i was under the impression it was illegal to charge me for it, and they said they would file a complaint, bearing in mind ive done this about 20 times and never got anywhere, the next day i had a letter with the £30 credited back into my account as " your account is normally well run"

defo think im gonna be sending them that letter now ive seen Neil's reply

Sarah
Old 01-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Neil S
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by SteveH
FSA (0845 606 1234) OFT (0845 722 44 99)
Two VERY useful numbers there SteveH!

Dunlop I'll buy you a pint if I get the full amount!

I've just spoken to the FSA and OFT.

They reckon I should write and thank them for their letter, say that in no way am i rejecting their kind offer, but i still beleive the charges to be disproportionate and will be pushing for the full £890, taking legal action if necessary.

I'll keep you all posted

Neil.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:29 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

think i better contact my bank.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:34 PM
SteveH
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by SteveH
FSA (0845 606 1234) OFT (0845 722 44 99)
Two VERY useful numbers there SteveH!

Dunlop I'll buy you a pint if I get the full amount!

I've just spoken to the FSA and OFT.

They reckon I should write and thank them for their letter, say that in no way am i rejecting their kind offer, but i still beleive the charges to be disproportionate and will be pushing for the full £890, taking legal action if necessary.

I'll keep you all posted

Neil.
No probs mate

I spoke to them earlier today and found them both excellent, worth a call even if you're not getting hammered in fines, the OFT are investigating credit card chargs and massive interest rates.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:06 PM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

my girlfriend has counted her charges up and it came to 813!

Theres a letter in the postbox now waiting to be delivered to her bank
Old 02-06-2006, 05:32 PM
Neil S
PassionFord Post Troll

Letter sent today!

Hope they play ball!

Neil.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:40 PM
RSKim
15K+ Super Poster!!

pmsl I had £200+ in the past 6 months

Reckon id be well over 1k if I looked into it
Old 02-06-2006, 06:14 PM
cos jon
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I think i'm going to try this, and also tell the other half to try. Do you think after doiing this you can stay with the same bank ??
Old 03-06-2006, 08:43 AM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

(martyns girlfriend)

I got a letter from my bank this morning..

Dear Miss ****

Thank you for your letter dated 1st June, expressing your dissastisfaction regarding the bank charges that have been applied to your account.

I have passed your letter to David Presland, our Banking and Investment Manager for review and he will respond in full within the next 7 working days.

In the meantime, I have enclosed our Service Promise Booklet, which details our internal complaint procedure, for your information.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:03 AM
gym-rst
PassionFord Regular

After reading this post got me think about all the charges i have had over the years so called the bank an asked for me statements for last 6 years.

Turns out that i had a dd comin out on the 25th May that was not took til the 30th May in which time it was returned so when i called the bank to ask about it this morning after gettin letter from my insurance company guess what i aint been charged by the bank for it bein returned.

Funny thing is no one can tell me why an they aint going to apply the charge or chase it up an add it too my account. Seems very very funny this as it has never ever happened to me before. I cant wait to get me statements through an see how much they have had off me in the last 6 years an try an claim it all back.

Cheers for the info folks

Old 03-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by gym-rst
After reading this post got me think about all the charges i have had over the years so called the bank an asked for me statements for last 6 years.

Turns out that i had a dd comin out on the 25th May that was not took til the 30th May in which time it was returned so when i called the bank to ask about it this morning after gettin letter from my insurance company guess what i aint been charged by the bank for it bein returned.

Funny thing is no one can tell me why an they aint going to apply the charge or chase it up an add it too my account. Seems very very funny this as it has never ever happened to me before. I cant wait to get me statements through an see how much they have had off me in the last 6 years an try an claim it all back.

Cheers for the info folks

charges will be applied the following month, there all applied on 1 day per month
Old 03-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by b19bal

charges will be applied the following month, there all applied on 1 day per month

my returned direct debits are instantly charged the day the DD bounces (29.50), it's only if I go into negative money they charge me on the 1st of the following month for an overdraft usage fee (19)
Old 03-06-2006, 11:39 AM
gym-rst
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by "b19bal:[/quote

I have been on the phone an into my branch this morning both said the same shud be showing now the day it was returned an it aint an dont look like it will.

The robbin twats just make the rules up as they go along
Old 03-06-2006, 11:39 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

do they

ive only had 1 bank charge that was THERE error and they sorted it but every month for 3 months it kept being added due to me telling em at the end of the month about it

im suprised SO many people get bank charges though as none of my mates have mentioned it before either, seems there just as comon as bus lane/parking ticket fines
Old 03-06-2006, 11:50 AM
gym-rst
PassionFord Regular

yeah seems that way i am not a fan of banks so try to have little to do with them as possible which has resulted in quite a few charges over the years plus owning a cossie these days dont help am always skint an got ne money in my acc
Old 03-06-2006, 12:38 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

So,

Say for example you go over your overdraft limit by £20 and the bank charge you £40 for the privelege. You can claim that back then?

Or does this just apply to charges on bounced cheques, standing orders, direct debits and other payments?
Old 03-06-2006, 12:42 PM
SteveH
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by DazC
So,

Say for example you go over your overdraft limit by £20 and the bank charge you £40 for the privelege. You can claim that back then?

Or does this just apply to charges on bounced cheques, standing orders, direct debits and other payments?
Yes, course. I have been buffing up on this a bit. You can claim it back, as it not a true representation of the cost to the bank. Its like me charging tou £30 for a pint. I need to charge you for the pint, but not £30.....
Old 03-06-2006, 01:17 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

I know a few people who could benefit from this then.

I personally haven't had bank charges for as long as I can remember!
Old 03-06-2006, 03:02 PM
COMEDY DAN
No1 Blower.

Originally Posted by martyn
(martyns girlfriend)

I got a letter from my bank this morning..

Dear Miss ****

Thank you for your letter dated 1st June, expressing your dissastisfaction regarding the bank charges that have been applied to your account.

I have passed your letter to David Presland, our Banking and Investment Manager for review and he will respond in full within the next 7 working days.

In the meantime, I have enclosed our Service Promise Booklet, which details our internal complaint procedure, for your information.

Sounds like you getting somewhere.........
Old 03-06-2006, 03:45 PM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by COMEDY DAN
Sounds like you getting somewhere.........
Yep, wasn't a flat no, and if Mr Presland tells me to fook off I already have a letter drafted for it
Old 03-06-2006, 07:11 PM
monkey24
Regular Contributor

will that work if you used a cheque with a guarentee card knowing there was no money in the account? unemployment led to desperate measures and i payed loads of charges for doing so.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:30 PM
orion_crazy_carl
orion=mini saff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gonna give it a try!!!!been charged least 500 quid last 6 months!!150 last month!does it effect ur credit history tho?

Quick Reply: Have you ever been charged by your bank????