General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Have you ever been charged by your bank????

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 08:10 PM
TemptRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i sent another email to them yesterday after them telling me they have passed on my case to someone important LOL (i dont remember who!) anyway i've had an email back saying this:

Dear Mrs Wilkinson-Light

3 June 2006

Thank you for your further email and I am sorry that you have had to contact
this department again. I have immediately forwarded this to the area concerned.

With kind regards.

Tara Young
Customer Relations Officer

fingers crossed!! Giving them 1 week!! LOL
Old 03-06-2006, 09:27 PM
XR Dougie
Regular Contributor

Alright matey good advice I used to work for HALIFAX BANK OF SCOTLAND and they cahrge 39 quid a missed dd/Standing Order/ etc etc

I left because I didnt agree with theyr moral regarding people that were less better or having difficulty in coping with finances.

I for one know that they will pay out no problem they squirm at the fact

There was a guy that threatend to go to the papers and they gave him £3k

So go ahead and claim back what were all due!!!!
Old 04-06-2006, 04:31 PM
daveyboyreeves
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

up
Old 04-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator
PassionFord Gold Member (Female)
Super Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ive sent my letter off today

i keep getting charged so i might be rich soon
Old 05-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trevor McDonald at 8pm tonight is all about people that have claimed back their bank charges, should be interesting viewing
Old 06-06-2006, 11:10 AM
TemptRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH MYYYYYYYY GOODD!

I GOTTA LETTER SAYING THAT THEY OWE ME 1324.00 IN CHARGES! AND GUESS WHAT!

THEY ARE PREPARED TO REFUND £1240.00 WITHIN NEXT 10 DAYS!!!!

I'M SOOOOO EXCITED LOL!!

Gonna post up the letter later
Old 06-06-2006, 11:31 AM
boXXer
GASH!

excellent. Deffo worth doing then. Think im gunna have a go. How did you do it?
Old 06-06-2006, 11:35 AM
BlueSmoke
PassionFord's crazy fool!

Right then. Tonight I'm gonna get off my arse and do this. They owe me a shedload. Can someone outline the full process of getting the money back from start to finish for me (too lazy to go back and re-read all these pages! ).

I need to get back what I'm owed. I have already requested the statements to my Credit Card which frankly, has been run in a despicable manner by Nat West

They tried to tell me it was £3 per statement! I soon set them straight and advised them that they can only charge a maximum of ten pounds for me to obtain the information held on me and my account. That's the law, I said. The lad goes "oh right, I'll have to check that, hang on...." Comes back 2 mins later with "yeah ten pounds is fine..."

They are taking their time though. How long should I have to wait? I now need to reclaim everything from natWest with regards my current account. I must be owed similar money to TemptRS.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:51 AM
IanRS
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

How does all this affect the relationship with the bank, i've been with my bank for over 15 yrs, i don't really want to change banks.

Thanks
Ian
Old 06-06-2006, 12:11 PM
TemptRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I just did what DogSmoke told me to do lol which is this:

If you do not keep all your bank statements you will need to send this letter first of which they only have 40 days to respond, failing to do this they will then occur 8% interest charge on your claim.

(your address)

[their address]

(date)

Data Protection Act disclosure request

Dear Sir/Madam

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxxxx

Please supply me with a complete list of transactions and charges relating to my bank account since (WHEN EVER YOU WANT AS LONG AS LESS THAN 6 YEARS). Alternatively a complete set of bank statements for that period will be acceptable.

Additionally where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any member of your staff or any other person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my banking business with you.

If you are unable to supply data relating to manual intervention because there has been no such manual intervention then please be kind as to confirm this in your response to this request.

I enclose the statutory maximum fee of £10. You have 40 days in which to comply. Furthermore, if I discover that you have levied disproportionate penalties against me then I shall be reclaiming them.

Yours faithfully,

(Name)

Once you have totalled the charges up, you will need to send this letter.

[your address]

[their address]

Request for repayment of charges

Dear Sir/Madam,

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxxxx

My request
I am writing to ask you to refund to me the charges which you have levied from my account over the last XXXX years
I now understand that the regime of fees which you have been applying to my account in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

Your responsibilites
I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

What I require
I calculate that you have taken £XXXXX plus £XXX which you have charged me in overdraft interest for the sum which you have taken. Total £XXXXX
Additionally you have entered a default notice against my credit record. This default occurred merely in respect of unlawful charges levied by you or was the result of impecuniosity caused directly by he taking by you of penalty charges which you had applied unlawfully to my account.

In addition to full payment of the sum mentioned above I require that you remove the default entry from the register. Please note that mere correction or amendment to the entry will not be acceptable.

My targets to resolve this matter
I hope that you will enter into a sincere dialogue with me about this matter and I am writing this letter to you on the assumption that you will prefer to do this than merely respond with standard letters and leaflets.

I will give you 14 days to reply to me accepting unconditionally my request in principle and letting me know a date by which I will receive payment.

If you do not respond or you do not respond positively within this time period, I shall send you a letter before action giving you a further 14 days in which to reflect. I believe that these targets are more than sufficient for a large company such as yours with dedicated staff and departments.

After that will be no further communication from me and I shall issue a claim at the expiry of the second deadline.

Yours faithfully,

[name]

They will not want this matter to goto court and will get back to you. The maximum amount of time the whole process will take prior to you getting your payout will be 80 days. You can offer an agreement stating you will accept a percentage within 7 days i.e if charges over the past 6 years are £1200, give them 7 days to pay £1000 and they will take this offer.

The banks do not want to goto court and have never taken it to court yet. You are best to keep your claim to under £5k to keep within the small claims bracket so that in the very unlikely case it did goto court then you would not be liable for any court charges.

BUT i managed to get all my statements online so i just totalled them up and sent the 2nd letter. I emailed my letters though. Then i got an email back saying my case has been passed on to somebody who deals with it etc, but i heard nothing for a week.

SO i then emailed them again saying how i'd already emailed them and not heard from them, and if i dont hear from them within next 7 days i shall be taking legal action.

That was last Friday,and i recieved the offer today!

Be firm in your letters! I;m now going to do the same with my credit card, only comes to £80 charges but it's still £80 and its HSBC again
Old 06-06-2006, 12:12 PM
TemptRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ian i've been with my bank 13 years, the letter seemed more apologetic than upset lol
Old 06-06-2006, 01:11 PM
TemptRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks Dunlop for making me aware of this
Old 06-06-2006, 01:35 PM
BlueSmoke
PassionFord's crazy fool!

Just read all 6 pages anyway

Already asked my credit card for the statements, but it seems touch and go as to whether we will get anywhere on that. But I need to send off for my current account stuff as that one will be the big one, with loads of charges to come. I spent a lot of time unemployed and struggling to pay bills, with basically every bill failing to go out for the direct debits etc. Insurance, phone bills etc etc. and then a few years back I was also getting hammered so I'm really hopeful of getting a nice amount back. Would probably sell the 325 and get a Cossie if I got around a grand back tbh.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:41 PM
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

Looks to me that all the banks are going to be forced into refunding these charges at some point. Some are clearly being awkward to delay it.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Nick D
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by TemptRS
Thanks Dunlop for making me aware of this
No problem hun, glad you got whats rightfully yours back!
Old 06-06-2006, 02:41 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

do you think that the banks will start to fight giving the money back?
Old 06-06-2006, 02:52 PM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by ** T **
do you think that the banks will start to fight giving the money back?

they will eventually, especially after that Trevor McDonald program was on last night, they are gonna have a major increase in demands
Old 06-06-2006, 02:54 PM
scottbrown

From what trevor mcdonald said other night is that at some point they are going to take someblody to court, so basically by threating legal action you need to be prepared to go through with it...
Old 06-06-2006, 03:27 PM
XR Dougie
Regular Contributor

great one tempt rs treat yourself when you get all your charges back hun!!!
Im gonnae send mines off shortly even tho I used to work for the Tw@ts but hey theyr due me a whack of charges. Plus they never paid me my bonus after I left!!!!

New Zetec Turbo coming my way yehaw!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2006, 04:05 PM
Neil S
PassionFord Post Troll

Well Done!!!

Neil.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:47 PM
ivorbiggun
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Be VERY VERY CAREFUL with this guys. One of the most valuble assets
you all have is your banks (very secret) rating of you which is more important to financial institutions than anything Equifax or Experian hold on you. Start buggering around with this and you could find yourselves Persona Non Grata with the banks,mobile phone Co's etc etc.
Much better to accept the above or (better still)pay your bills on time and not send wonky cheques etc out.
Bear in mind all of you who have Pensions, shares etc are all indirectly responsible for this, cos you all want a return and that means the companies
concerned making profits.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:32 PM
XR Dougie
Regular Contributor

They have been all investigated by an Independant watchdog and in a matter of time all banks WILL be told to lower their charges or face action by FSA who is Financial Services Authority.
They have run a series of surveys and are ordering banks to lower charges made.

I dont think that they will fight over each other, I think it will be more of a battle to see who can offer the lowest charge so they will use it as a benefit to their account i.e Come join us we only charge you x amount of pounds etc etc

As I used to work for HBos I know that as a company if they loose one customer (average customer that holds at least 1 current Account) then they need to find another 7 new customers to replace the business lost by the oiginal 1 customer.

They would rather refund your charges than loose your custom, and the first sight of legal action they brick it! We had a guy come in moaning and groaning, first off he wanted to close his acc and move to Royal Bank of Scotland, then when that wasnt done right by the switcher team he was charged.
He wrote a stinging letter and bla bla bla threatened to go to the papers.

They paid him £3k not to go to the papers, he came in colleceted his money and then can anyone guess what he did the next day........

Yup he went straight to papers and told them everything lol

So it just shows you the banks will do anything to retain there reputation!!
Old 08-06-2006, 08:21 AM
Dave Parker

great post BTTT
Old 08-06-2006, 08:29 AM
Cola
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Tempt - was that for six years?

I'm going to do this tonight. Halifax are a bunch of arses.

Cheers People!
Old 08-06-2006, 11:42 AM
Cola
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ya moving? Blimey.. ya got your hands on her refund quick

Cheers Treacle. A letter to the Halifax is on it's way.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Retro Al
RWD IS KING

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sent my letter yesterday, i havent been charged much over the years,but even if i get £100 its better than a kick in the teeth
Old 08-06-2006, 12:29 PM
steve rs
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

letter in the post
Old 08-06-2006, 12:31 PM
TemptRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

hi i've finally managed to dig my way out from under millions of boxes! and yes cola like rudey says it was 6 years.

once i've got the money i'm thinking about taking my story to the papers, do i get paid for that too??
Old 08-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Snowy_Astra

We.ve been on this before even that student took the first action on banks.

We are fighting for 5 years charges, totalling....wait for it.....£7k

My mum is in france most of the time, and the accounts she has are here. So its hard to keep track of what your money is doing.

We regularly get a £50 charge for returned direct debits that go unpaid for all of 2 days till we realise whats happened.

This country is going to be come poor if we get charged for silly mistakes like direct debits.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:42 PM
Cola
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Worth a go Tempt

Well I hope the move goes well. I bloody HATE it! But then we are pretty crap at it
Old 08-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Martyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

(martyns girlfriend)

still waiting on the response from the bloke my letter was handed to, the 7 working days is fast approaching, if nothing by then I'm going to start shaking my fists at them, I got over 800 quid I want back!
Old 09-06-2006, 02:34 PM
TemptRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Snowy_Astra
We.ve been on this before even that student took the first action on banks.

We are fighting for 5 years charges, totalling....wait for it.....£7k

My mum is in france most of the time, and the accounts she has are here. So its hard to keep track of what your money is doing.

We regularly get a £50 charge for returned direct debits that go unpaid for all of 2 days till we realise whats happened.

This country is going to be come poor if we get charged for silly mistakes like direct debits.
7K!!!! what have they said about that??
Old 09-06-2006, 02:46 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Is there any case law to back up this theory about reclaiming money? If you find the court case, quote it in your correspondence and this will ensure your letter goes to the legal department who may panic a bit more than the average customer service worker.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:29 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

just read in paper that if people try to claim money and take Alliance & Leicester to court they will closed the accounts within 30 days

Quick Reply: Have you ever been charged by your bank????