General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Have you ever been charged by your bank????

Search this Thread

Old 24-04-2006, 09:29 PM
AndyGranger
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt
i wrote hsbc this one years ago

HSBC Bank Plc
Customer Credit Services
PO BOX 1321
Sheffield
S1 2UB

Account Number ***************

Dear Sirs

I am writing to you out or sheer frustration of being unable to speak to someone who can help me.

I have been a loyal customer of HSBC since 1997 and have a household total of three accounts with yourselves. I have recently found myself, for the first time ever, in a situation where I mistakenly went over my agreed overdraft limit.

After I received my statement I rang to ask if there was anything that could be done about the fees that you intend to charge me with. The first call I made I got told “there is nothing I personally can do, you need to speak to credit services”, he then tried to transfer me but a moment later came back to me saying “they are shut, ring back tomorrow, I cant give you a direct number, phone this one again and someone will transfer you through”. I was irritated by this but thought such is life as it was 7pm when I called upon my arrival home from work. In the morning, as instructed, I make the call back and explain the situation once more. The operator then put me on hold and spoke to credit services. I waited for the situation to be explained again to someone else only to be told “im sorry credit services will not take your call directly, they will conduct an investigation based on the details I have given them and call you back within 48 hours”. Rather different to what I had been lead to believe the night before.

Three days later after no return phone call I try your internet banking messages system. This time I do get a reply from a Neil Codd in Birmingham saying nothing more than a standard reply saying thankyou for my query and that it has been passed onto the relevant people who will be in touch. Great help, another failed attempt.

It does get better, let me back track a little....whilst on the first call I as good as get called a liar by someone unable to understand a cardholder not present transaction. There was a transaction on the 8th June to pipex internet for my monthly internet subscription. I did explain to the gentleman after being told that “it is a transaction that you have personally authorised”, that I was not present but still I get repeatedly told “sir that is not possible, you have personally authorised this, hence the charges”. Sorry but at this point tempers are starting to fray, I do actually know what i have and what I have not personally authorised better than anyone else so didn’t take too kindly to his attitude. I ended the call politely before I lost my temper.

As a loyal HSBC customer I feel I am owed treatment far better than I have received from yourselves. You mention in your letter that “you wont refund charges applied correctly” however on this occasion I would be very grateful if you refund the charges given that the circumstances you are quoting are incorrect. I await confirmation of this.

I have no wish to leave HSBC but being treated in such a manner is making me think twice about it to be frank. Unless we can reach an amicable outcome here I feel I will have no alternative other than to end all my dealings with HSBC and move my business elsewhere. This logic applies to this account, the related account *****, and finally my partners (Miss Cl......nobend ) account *******. This is not meant as a threat, I am simply informing you what will happen as a direct result of your recent actions.

To say I am dissapointed in your company of late is a huge understatement. I do not agree with your offshoring policy, it has not improved things from a customers point of view at all, things have gone downhill, all it looks like to an outsider is that you are quite willing to cut back services to the people who make your business what it is in favour of yet more profit, there is a point when enough becomes enough if the positives outweigh the negatives. My partner works as a business development consultant for Aviva Group, we have had this conversation many many times.

I have done as suggested in your letter and attached a copy of this document to your customer relations dept. so you can listen to my feedback.

Yours faithfully

Matt Bell

it worked, i got the money back and then closed all accounts and moved to halifax anyway
Matthew that sounded extremly intelligent..........and i thought you only wrote out bus time table,s
ps........like clares surname
Old 24-04-2006, 09:35 PM
Matt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by AndyGranger
Matthew that sounded extremly intelligent..........and i thought you only wrote out bus time table,s
ps........like clares surname
claires = c word by name c word by nature
Old 24-04-2006, 09:37 PM
AndyGranger

Onward,s and upwards pal........I wish Donna would fcukoff but my lifestyle might suffer
Old 24-04-2006, 09:41 PM
BillyCabrio
10K+ Poster!!

Location: Dartford, Kent - Home of the two way one way system.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very interesting thread.....

I've been with the Midland Bank (as they were) since i was 12, then they turned into HSBC and it all went pear shaped.

I soon moved as i had a few money problems to the Halifax as they seemed more interested in helping me as a customer and not a £ sign, the HSBC just threw charge after charge at me which made my account go further into the red and thus making me owe them more money for what started off as a very minor problem

It's going to be very interseting to see the outcomes of peoples letters on this post
Old 24-04-2006, 10:41 PM
The Sludge
garibaldi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am well interested in this as i got screwed over by lloyds tsb in a 6month period to the tune of £1700 i kid ya not It was from 3rd january 2005

Someone had to pay me a £500 cheqe. They did it got bounced. Not only did i notget the 500 but another 500 was credited to the payee

I never check me account tbh as i am normally comfortable with what i got paid each month. It was only when 4 months down the line came that on 1st april i had no money at all. I only got paid 31st march ffs.

I checked it all out and i was charged massive interest from the day the 500 was overpaid if you all understand me. I had like life cover from lloyds that wa sonly around £7 month yet instea dof paying it they them charged me £30 and then the intesrest on top

i complained and all i got back was £340 after 6 months. It still means i am owed 1300 though. Reckon i could this back? I have now got an overdraft with tthem to the tune of 2200 as the interest goes up etc
Old 24-04-2006, 11:08 PM
Speedy Gonzalez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i'm sending a letter 2 the halifax in the morning! looks like i'll get my saph cossie alot sooner!
Old 25-04-2006, 05:45 PM
RSKim
15K+ Super Poster!!

Can you do this for MORE than one account I got about 3 accounts with one bank
Old 25-04-2006, 06:18 PM
Damo V
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by RSCossieKim
Can you do this for MORE than one account
yup
Old 25-04-2006, 07:34 PM
RSKim
15K+ Super Poster!!

pmsl..my poor bank
Old 25-04-2006, 07:50 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by J871yhk
Right my letter is posted!

Alex
nearly 20 days and my bank have done FUCK ALL!!!

Old 25-04-2006, 07:58 PM
dave_y
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by the sludge
Someone had to pay me a £500 cheqe. They did it got bounced. Not only did i notget the 500 but another 500 was credited to the payee
how did they work that one out?
Old 25-04-2006, 08:11 PM
The Sludge
garibaldi

Originally Posted by dave_y
Originally Posted by the sludge
how did they work that one out?
mate god knows. I went throufg 5 months of hell. My house was nearly taken off through all of this . Im gonna give this a shot tho dude and get meown back
Old 26-04-2006, 04:23 PM
Damo V
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Alex

Did you give them a timescale to stick to??

If you said you "want a written response within 14 working days" for example....

Then simply fill out a small claims application, you are perfectly within your rights and they WILL NOT want it to go to court, a recent case saw Halifax settle out of court upon a summons and it was DOUBLE the figure the person was claiming for, simply because they didnt want to go to court and screw themselves by setting a precident...
Old 26-04-2006, 04:27 PM
Damo V
PassionFord Post Whore!!

online small claims application...

I have used it for claiming outstanding debts, dead easy to use...

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp
Old 26-04-2006, 04:38 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Damo V

Alex

If you said you "want a written response within 14 working days" for example....

Then simply fill out a small claims application, you are perfectly within your rights and they WILL NOT want it to go to court, a recent case saw Halifax settle out of court upon a summons and it was DOUBLE the figure the person was claiming for, simply because they didnt want to go to court and screw themselves by setting a precident...
bugger I typed 40 days and not 14 as I thought I had!

Alex
Old 26-04-2006, 04:47 PM
Nick D

Originally Posted by Damo V

Alex

bugger I typed 40 days and not 14 as I thought I had!

Alex
If its to get your statements and find out how much you have been charged they are allowed 40 days.
Old 26-04-2006, 05:32 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

arr that might be why I did it then....

come to think of it I did just copy and paste the letter from a previous page!

Alex
Old 26-04-2006, 05:51 PM
tenpotturbo
Regular Contributor

i will be trying it owe me a few hundred quid thanks for advice
Old 26-04-2006, 09:00 PM
Steve200+

As somebody's already posted : Anyone tried this with Credit Cards? Should work in theory, as it's just a glorified bank account...

Wondering if anyone's tried it. Sending my letter off to the bank tomorrow...
Old 27-04-2006, 05:40 PM
Neil S
PassionFord Post Troll

Well I've done the sums and I reckon I've paid £890 in bank charges in the last 5 years!!

I'll be sending off the second letter tomorrow, so fingers crossed!

Neil.
Old 27-04-2006, 08:03 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

I got a reply... statements are on their way....

BUT i got this paragraph...

"With reagrds to your request for information relating to manual intervention on your account, HBOS plc is under no statutory obligation to record this information and therefore, I am unable to assist further with your request."

and

"Upon reciept of the duplicate statements, if you have any data protection quiees relating to the information, please do not hesitate to conact me."

hmmm

So I guess I wait for the statements... go through and tot up the charges??

Alex
Old 28-04-2006, 12:43 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

neil
good luck with recovering that then! nice wee bonuse to get it back
Old 28-04-2006, 05:03 PM
Damo V
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I got a reply... statements are on their way....

"Upon reciept of the duplicate statements, if you have any data protection quiees relating to the information, please do not hesitate to conact me."

hmmm

So I guess I wait for the statements... go through and tot up the charges??

Alex
Yeah
Old 28-04-2006, 06:08 PM
~nomad~
PassionFord Post Whore!!

can this be done with a account that has been closed down? As this is the reason I closed my LLoyds account.
Old 28-04-2006, 06:15 PM
Damo V
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Nomaderst
can this be done with a account that has been closed down? As this is the reason I closed my LLoyds account.
should think so yes
Old 28-04-2006, 06:34 PM
TemptRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i think i'm gonna give this ago myself i'm sure within last last 6 years i've paid at least 1k in charges

where do i send the letter to?? I'm with the worst bank EVER: HSBC!!
Old 28-04-2006, 06:52 PM
~nomad~
PassionFord Post Whore!!

haha. just called the coop asking for a record of all my chages and the fella asked if i was planning to contest them. I said I was and he said "there is no gaurentee you will be successful" i told him a awfully large amount of people had been. He said that there was loads of stuff going on about it and that th office of fair trading were looking to make the charges lower, i said good they are a joke at the mo.

This conversation basically went around in circles, with him saying that it was gonna end up with people having to pay for bank accounts if there are no charges, I told him that if the charges were not so ott at the moment then this would not of happened.

I dont think anyone would mind a couple of quid, but £30 - £40 is insane.

HSBC and my closed account at Lloyds next!
Old 28-04-2006, 06:54 PM
Damo V
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by TemptRS
i s

where do i send the letter to?? [/b]!!

your branch
Old 28-04-2006, 06:56 PM
TemptRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i have a current account with hsbc - which i'm sending the letter but also a credit card with them so do i send 2 seperate letters to hsbc?? i'm so dumb LOL
Old 28-04-2006, 06:57 PM
TemptRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

thanks damo
Old 28-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Aaron1204

I've just phoned HSBC, First Direct, Abbey, Egg, and MBNA...

All of these banks have charged me at some point, and I've requested statements for the last six years from all of em, and let me tell you, the way I was with money a few years ago I'm gonna be entitled to one hell of a lot of money

I hope this works!!!!!
Old 28-04-2006, 07:42 PM
TemptRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

nice one aaron so did you have to pay a tenner to each?

i don't wanna pay a tenner lol
Old 28-04-2006, 07:53 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

i sent my leter off today to my locl brance but forgot to put the tenner in it
Old 28-04-2006, 08:00 PM
Damo V
PassionFord Post Whore!!

you have to tell them how much you want back
Old 28-04-2006, 08:19 PM
Aaron1204

nice one aaron so did you have to pay a tenner to each?

i don't wanna pay a tenner lol
I didn't get asked to pay anything, although with Abbey, my account has been open with them since 30th July 2005, if I want statements from then, I have to pay a tenner, but if I take them from 1 August, I don't So I just said fine, send me them from 1 August!

First Direct and all the others haven't asked for anything, and if they do, I'll gladly pay it if the comeback is a four figure sum in total!

Just got to wait for all the statements to come through now and then the fight is on!
Old 28-04-2006, 08:21 PM
Aaron1204

Originally Posted by Matt J
Does this work with credit cards?

Do I have to go through all my statements for the last 6 years and add everything up? cant I just ask them to refund the charges for the last 6 years?
Ring em up and ask for your statements for the last six years, then total up how much money they have charged you, and then send them one of the letters in this post and ask for £xxx back...

As for credit cards, well, they're a bank aren't they? I'm certainly trying it!
Old 28-04-2006, 09:29 PM
~nomad~
PassionFord Post Whore!!

you can just ask them for a record of any charges they have made to your account. Thats what the coop are sending me.
Old 29-04-2006, 08:24 AM
TemptRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i just realised all my statements are online so just been through them and my total charges comes to £1324!!!! can you beleive that!? gonna send my letter first thing tuesday
Old 29-04-2006, 10:15 AM
chewy
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

i just realised all my statements are online so just been through them and my total charges comes to £1324!!!! can you beleive that!? gonna send my letter first thing tuesday
What a blinding idea !!!!

Wil it be ok to work mine out ther same was as TemptRS has ? Saves time and then tenner

I'm also with the worlds worst bank too .... HSBC

Quick Reply: Have you ever been charged by your bank????