General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Have you ever been charged by your bank????

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 05:53 PM
UBster
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Have you ever been charged by your bank????

Originally Posted by dunlop2008
As above, I found out a couple of months ago that it is illegal for banks to charge you for returning cheques, direct debits etc of which some banks charge upto £39 per transaction. I went through the motions and got a cheque returned to me for £1010 this morning.

You can only claim upto 6 years of charges back!

I'll post up my letters and correspondence asap!

You can just change the details and get them sent!
Top thread can't believe i've missed it, just got the wife to tot up her charges and over 3 accounts it comes to about £1600

So 3 letters are getting sent out tomorrow all by recorded delivery and I'll be chasing hard

Someone is gonan be getting a lot of drinks bought for him on there
Old 10-08-2006, 04:36 PM
Simon
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Anyone else get a letter of capital one today saying all charges are being reduced to £12. I wonder if the rest will follow suit
Old 10-08-2006, 05:11 PM
Nick_RSIFEZ
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Simon Says
Anyone else get a letter of capital one today saying all charges are being reduced to £12. I wonder if the rest will follow suit
Yeah barclaycard did that a few weeks ago everything reduced to £12
Old 10-08-2006, 07:39 PM
deleted
10K+ Poster!!

Location: learnin to build a yb lump properly in dennis's garage

right got 6 yrs of statement on my coffe table time to start adding up
Old 10-08-2006, 08:05 PM
Simon
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by Nick_RSIFEZ
Originally Posted by Simon Says
Yeah barclaycard did that a few weeks ago everything reduced to £12
Cool, so its only a matter of time then
Old 10-08-2006, 08:33 PM
deleted
10K+ Poster!!

can anyone confirm if you can claim back interest charged by your bank?
Old 10-08-2006, 10:43 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wouldn't have thought so because you agreed to the interest rates and not even the politicians are claiming they were too high, but the penalty charges bore no relation to the cost incurred by the bank following the customer's breach of the Agreement and that's what they told the banks and credit card companies was out of order.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:33 AM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

So from this it looks like Lloyds TSB are contesting more than paying up.

Is this for CC charges or just savings account charges?

I have had a few overdrawn charges on my savings account for exceeding my interest free overdraft. Have also had a few on my credit card (also with Lloyds) but would have thought the CC was business. They loan me the money, I cant pay it back on time, I pay a fee. Seems reasonable as I would do the same if it were my business.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:43 AM
Cola
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by COSSIENUTS
can anyone confirm if you can claim back interest charged by your bank?
The consumer website tell syou all you need to know. There is a spreadsheet there that I recommend you use. It calculates the charges, the interest you CAN claim back (when you're overdrawn) and the 8% per year for if and when it goes to court.

The people on that site know everything!
Old 11-08-2006, 08:54 AM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

barclays told me about 3 weeks ago that they would get back to me after i said i was claiming £1485 by the 11th august at the latest, theyve not sent anything so what can i do now? i need to send them another letter but im unsure as to what to put in it?

Sarah
Old 11-08-2006, 09:37 AM
lawnsy
PassionFord Post Troll

Ive just had my reply from barclays saying;

'May i say how sorry i am to learn that you feel the bank charges you have incurred are unfair. In your correspondence you have referred to elements which you feel support your claim. Barclays is aware of the information you have drawn to our attention. I must inform you however that we disagree with your view.
When an account is opened with us, our customer is provided with a copyof the Terms and Conditions relating to the use of their account; including details of our charges. This information clearly explains our obligations to our customers, as well as their obligations to us. If we make any changes to the Terma and Conditions we provide details of these changes to our customer in line with the banking code.
In view of my comments above i am unwilling to refund the charges you have incurred as requested. Although i appreciate this is not the response you were hoping for, I trust I have made the banks position clear.'

Then just a load of crap about getting in touch with them etc ......

I knew i would be the only person not to get some sort of refund lol

Anyone got any idea what i'm supposed to do next????????
Old 11-08-2006, 09:50 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

gonna try this for my missus

she's just been hit with another £100 charge for going over her overdraft

makes me so angry

Old 11-08-2006, 09:58 AM
Cola
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Lawnsy! Go here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faq.php

I feel like my own echo lol

Course they’re not just gonna roll over and pay out. Mine offered me less than 10% of my charges and Dave was told they weren’t tied to the data protection act (who are they, God?!) These are all stalling tactics. I’m guessing you’ve sent the first letter and that’s their response. Then you send an LBA – letter before action – giving them 14 days, then you file a court claim.

You REALLY need to go to the forum that actually helps though, cos if you fuck it up you’ll get sod all. If you do it properly they HAVE to pay you out. I took them to court on Monday, costing me £120 quid. My charges were 1500, then there’s the interest that was about 40 and then the 8% interest (per year) that came in just over 400. So I’ve had to research, do the spreadsheet, write some letters but if you do it properly it will be worth it.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:26 AM
deleted
10K+ Poster!!

greatr advice cola will go on there tonite when i can concentrate properly
Old 11-08-2006, 11:55 AM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by lawnsy

'May i say how sorry i am to learn that you feel the bank charges you have incurred are unfair. In your correspondence you have referred to elements which you feel support your claim. Barclays is aware of the information you have drawn to our attention. I must inform you however that we disagree with your view.
When an account is opened with us, our customer is provided with a copyof the Terms and Conditions relating to the use of their account; including details of our charges. This information clearly explains our obligations to our customers, as well as their obligations to us. If we make any changes to the Terma and Conditions we provide details of these changes to our customer in line with the banking code.
In view of my comments above i am unwilling to refund the charges you have incurred as requested. Although i appreciate this is not the response you were hoping for, I trust I have made the banks position clear.'

i bank with barclays got a feeling theyre gonna do the same to me, and tbh i think ill be getting a claim set up in the small claims court if they do, fooking robbing barstewards

Sarah
Old 11-08-2006, 12:08 PM
lawnsy
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Cola
Lawnsy! Go here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faq.php

I feel like my own echo lol

Course they’re not just gonna roll over and pay out. Mine offered me less than 10% of my charges and Dave was told they weren’t tied to the data protection act (who are they, God?!) These are all stalling tactics. I’m guessing you’ve sent the first letter and that’s their response. Then you send an LBA – letter before action – giving them 14 days, then you file a court claim.

You REALLY need to go to the forum that actually helps though, cos if you fuck it up you’ll get sod all. If you do it properly they HAVE to pay you out. I took them to court on Monday, costing me £120 quid. My charges were 1500, then there’s the interest that was about 40 and then the 8% interest (per year) that came in just over 400. So I’ve had to research, do the spreadsheet, write some letters but if you do it properly it will be worth it.
cheers

ill have a look now
Old 13-08-2006, 09:27 AM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

sarah got a letter off barcleys yesterday offering her £800 more than half she was claiming for
Old 13-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Graham S1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mum showed me an article in the mirror about a girl who got £2k back. she was initially offered £500, but she just kept at it.
Old 13-08-2006, 12:28 PM
shaun1967
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

try www.consumercorner.co.uk
they will give you all the help you need, dont accept anything other than full settlement. they have helped reclaim over £150,000. its all free
Old 14-08-2006, 12:01 AM
rs_daz
PassionFord Post Troll

After I received my £1050 claim ive noticed my bank are still charging me from the month before I claimed.. Can I claim again??
Old 14-08-2006, 12:25 AM
shaun1967

yep just keep reclaiming, even if you signed to say you wouldnt which some banks ask for they cannot make you sign for something unlawful, so that in itself becomes unlawful.

matbe they will pay up quicker this time as they no you mean business
Old 14-08-2006, 12:13 PM
lickshot

Hey all!
sent my Letter Before Action 2weeks ago to Nationwide and received 3 letters back from 3 different people all chatting the same bollox! They are saying i have to give them 8 weeks so they can reveiw my case n stuff .... How fookin stupid!!! So ive just sorted court proceedings Fookem! My mate had the same with a diff bank, started his court proceedings and had his money IN FULL back in his bank within 2 weeks! So it gets sorted by 10 tommoz morn, and ill keep u all informed of how it goes peeps!!
Fingers crossed for meeeee!!!
Old 14-08-2006, 06:53 PM
Neil S
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Dicko

i bank with barclays got a feeling theyre gonna do the same to me, and tbh i think ill be getting a claim set up in the small claims court if they do, fooking robbing barstewards

Sarah
Stick at it Sarah, I'm at the small claims stage with Barclays at the moment - they ARE paying out, you just need to make it clear to them that you will go all the way with them

Neil.
Old 14-08-2006, 08:37 PM
shaun1967

dont back down or be scared off. a lot of banks are filing defences now just to scare you with all the legal junk.
Old 15-08-2006, 08:33 PM
The Sludge
garibaldi

right then, advice please as to what i may do now??? I have just received this letter from LLoyds Tsb.

Dear Mr Taylor
Thank you for getting in touch with us. I am sorry you are unhappy over your account charges.
Like any business, we do make a charge for some of our extra services. When a customer doesn't have enough in their account to cover a payment, this always means additional work. We must either make the payment for you via an overdraft or send the payment request back. Either way, it has to happen speedily. We feel it's only fair to charge for the extra work involved.
Of course it is only fair, too, that we're completely open about any charged-for services before you take them up. That's why we take care to provide every new customer with the latest guide to our charges. You can also get up-to-date details about fees and borrowing rates at all our branches, via our helpline and on our website.
Just as importantly, we do everything we can to help our customers avoid charges altogether.
I'm sure you'll know how easy it is to keep a running check on how much is in your account. You're free to get an up-to-date balance at any of our cash machines, over the phone, online and nowadays even by text to your mobile.
If you know a payment is going to take you over the limit, you're welcome to see if we can raise your limit - and we can usually give you an answer straightaway. You might know, too, that we don't usually charge fees if it's the first day in 12 months that you've gone overdrawn without agreeing it with us beforehand. And we never charge an overdraft excess fee more than three times in any one month, however many times you go over your limit.
I do hope you can see that we make our charging system as fair as possible - and why I
cannot agree to cancel your charges.
This letter is the banks final response, which means that if you remain dissatisfied you may refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service. If you decide to pursue your complaint through the Financial Ombudsman Service you must do so within 6 months from the date of this letter. I ahve enclosed their lefalet that outlines how to contact them.

Thank you once again for taking the time to raise your concern with us.
Your sincerley
Ms Musurat Siddique
Customer service Officer

So now what do i do? Originally the letter stated i would have an assitsnat manager to look at it. Now i got a joey looking at it. Not sure what step to take now in all honesty
Old 15-08-2006, 08:37 PM
shaun1967

hi its just the standard reply. your next step is to file a claim with the courts, you can do this online or via a downloadable from that you can take to your local county court. you will also be pleased to know that you can now add 8% interest to your claim
Old 15-08-2006, 08:44 PM
The Sludge
garibaldi

Originally Posted by shaun1967
hi its just the standard reply. your next step is to file a claim with the courts, you can do this online or via a downloadable from that you can take to your local county court. you will also be pleased to know that you can now add 8% interest to your claim

Thanks for swift reply. Where can i get that form from and how much willit now cost me? 8% interest sounds good now
Old 16-08-2006, 05:59 AM
shaun1967

hi, go to www.consumercorner.co.uk all the links as well as a template fro filling the form in and a spreadsheet for working out the interest are on there
Old 16-08-2006, 12:09 PM
kevbo
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Another success with Barclays here. Sent off a letter (which I downloaded from the internet 3 weeks ago, took me 2 minutes to copy & paste my name & bank details onto).

Yesterday I recieved an offer of £270 which I am accepting

I used letter 2 from this website http://www.bankcharges.info/ and left the amount I was reclaiming for blank & sent it to this address

Freepost RLTA-CSUE-TCHC
Barclays Bank plc
Head office customer relations
1 churchill place
london
e14 5hp
Old 16-08-2006, 06:30 PM
shaun1967

Originally Posted by kevbo
Another success with Barclays here. Sent off a letter (which I downloaded from the internet 3 weeks ago, took me 2 minutes to copy & paste my name & bank details onto).

Yesterday I recieved an offer of £270 which I am accepting

I used letter 2 from this website http://www.bankcharges.info/ and left the amount I was reclaiming for blank & sent it to this address

Freepost RLTA-CSUE-TCHC
Barclays Bank plc
Head office customer relations
1 churchill place
london
e14 5hp
hi, i presume you dint know how much the charges were. because i also presume that their offer is only a fraction of what you have been charged. they very rarely offer anything close to what they owe you.
hope im wrong an it sounds about right to you.
Old 16-08-2006, 08:14 PM
swerv
PassionFord Post Troll

right of the people on here who have been given money by their banks, who has had their bank accounts closed by the banks?

are the banks legally allowed to close the account after claiming off them?

Old 16-08-2006, 09:27 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Neil S
Originally Posted by Dicko

Sarah
Stick at it Sarah, I'm at the small claims stage with Barclays at the moment - they ARE paying out, you just need to make it clear to them that you will go all the way with them

Neil.
have accepted an offer of £800
Old 17-08-2006, 10:15 AM
shaun1967

congratulations, bet you have already spent it in your head
Old 17-08-2006, 10:28 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Originally Posted by the sludge
We do make a charge for some of our extra services. When a customer doesn't have enough in their account to cover a payment, this always means additional work.
What a load of cobblers... a computer does all the work, generates a letter, sends it to you and allows or rejects payment. Banks don't have 100's of people dealing with every single case of someone going over a limit
Old 17-08-2006, 10:37 AM
shaun1967

Originally Posted by frog
Originally Posted by the sludge
We do make a charge for some of our extra services. When a customer doesn't have enough in their account to cover a payment, this always means additional work.
What a load of cobblers... a computer does all the work, generates a letter, sends it to you and allows or rejects payment. Banks don't have 100's of people dealing with every single case of someone going over a limit
to right thats if they even send a letter i know natwest dont. allthough i am about to issue a warrant against them anyway at least i write and tell them i am going **** them.
Old 17-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Uncle Winnett

hsbc have offerd me 65% of what i was claiming dont no if i will take it or hold out for the whole lot

john
Old 17-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Cola
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I think anyone who takes a lame offer of anything less than 100% is mad or desperate for the money.

That’s not to say I’m desperate for the cash, but what you aint got you don’t miss

I took them to court last week, so in a couple of weeks I’ll have over 2K in my bank, what with 8% interest a year on all charges etc. Far better than their offer of 200 quid.

If they didn’t KNOW they had to legally give you all that money back, do you think they’d give you offers of free cash?
Old 17-08-2006, 12:50 PM
Uncle Winnett

Originally Posted by Cola
I think anyone who takes a lame offer of anything less than 100% is mad or desperate for the money.

That’s not to say I’m desperate for the cash, but what you aint got you don’t miss

I took them to court last week, so in a couple of weeks I’ll have over 2K in my bank, what with 8% interest a year on all charges etc. Far better than their offer of 200 quid.

If they didn’t KNOW they had to legally give you all that money back, do you think they’d give you offers of free cash?
which bank are you with how did you go about geting it to court how long did it take

thanks john
Old 17-08-2006, 12:58 PM
Daveyboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

she is with halifax. if you look on here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faq.php it will tell you all you need to know and give you all the letter templates you need to send them. from start to finish of the entire process it shouldnt take any longer than 3 months i think it is. it could be 2 months.

As from the point of starting court proceedings i think they have 14 or 28 days. as i say though, its all in the website above.
Old 17-08-2006, 03:41 PM
shaun1967

hold out for the full amount its easy to accept a partial refund, but dont do it unless you cant wait another 2 months (at the most)
you could however accept that offer but make sure there are no conditions and then start again, but thats not the best way allthough it will still work. have a look at the link below, all teh help and advice you need is there as well, we are all in it to help.

Quick Reply: Have you ever been charged by your bank????