General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Have you ever been charged by your bank????

Search this Thread

Old 28-12-2006, 08:07 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by R4N S S
right - i got all my transactions through from the bank.

What exactly am i looking for on my statements
Old 28-12-2006, 08:36 AM
Gra
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i looked for the charges, on mine it was usually about £20-£25, plus the last page of every statemnt usually confirmed the charges, i logged all of these for past 5yrs, and then fired of my first letter, i have copies of the etters i sent if anyone needs em, When you have totalled up your charges you then need to apply interest, i have a sheet for this to make it easy, i will did this out
I have not read this thread so apologise if someones already posted the letters and interest stuff etc.
Old 28-12-2006, 10:07 AM
Neil S
PassionFord Post Troll

Hey Ran

On your statements it will probably say something like "PAID REFERRAL" or "UNPAIDS OUT" or similar (you get the picture)

First step is to go through the last 6 years worth of statements and knock up a quick spreadsheet listing the date, type of charge (see above) and the amount they have taken from you.

Hope this helps!

Neil.
Old 28-12-2006, 01:32 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

first and second letter have been completely Ignored By HSBC , assume either they are doing this deliberatly to try and make me think they have not recived the letters, I assume now I just send in the court claim? Just worried what to do if they fail to respond to that as well
Old 28-12-2006, 03:18 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

Neil thanks mate - i will create a spreadsheet
Old 28-12-2006, 06:40 PM
Shakey Jake
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by starturbo
Originally Posted by Deadringer

At some of your total's i'm fucking shocked to say the least.

I thought i was bad but up against most of you lot i'm a saint.

Good luck to you all though at the end of the day spend it while you can.... you can't take it with you
Maybe you earn more than most or live in a cheaper part of the country?I think if you look at most people you would find a lot (even those neighbours or family that appear flush) to be kicking the arse out of the loans/credit cards that the banks or loan companies keep forcing down your throat at every opportunity.I am not having a go at you either for the comments you made.Its just that you cannot sugar coat an answer to that.
I know what ya mean mate, most people's "wealthyness" is usually a front.

I just can't see how people can do it ya know.

Maybe it's just me who live with what they have, if i can't afford it tuff shit i don't have it
Old 06-01-2007, 09:44 AM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jaclyn_67
I have sent the following letter to my bank and the stated 14 days have now expired. I need to know which letter i send now in order to reclaim my money. Please help asap.

[your address]

[their address]

Request for repayment of charges

Dear Sir/Madam,

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxxxx

My request
I am writing to ask you to refund to me the charges which you have levied from my account over the last XXXX years
I now understand that the regime of fees which you have been applying to my account in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

Your responsibilites
I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

What I require
I calculate that you have taken £XXXXX plus £XXX which you have charged me in overdraft interest for the sum which you have taken. Total £XXXXX
Additionally you have entered a default notice against my credit record. This default occurred merely in respect of unlawful charges levied by you or was the result of impecuniosity caused directly by he taking by you of penalty charges which you had applied unlawfully to my account.

In addition to full payment of the sum mentioned above I require that you remove the default entry from the register. Please note that mere correction or amendment to the entry will not be acceptable.

My targets to resolve this matter
I hope that you will enter into a sincere dialogue with me about this matter and I am writing this letter to you on the assumption that you will prefer to do this than merely respond with standard letters and leaflets.

I will give you 14 days to reply to me accepting unconditionally my request in principle and letting me know a date by which I will receive payment.

If you do not respond or you do not respond positively within this time period, I shall send you a letter before action giving you a further 14 days in which to reflect. I believe that these targets are more than sufficient for a large company such as yours with dedicated staff and departments.

After that will be no further communication from me and I shall issue a claim at the expiry of the second deadline.

Yours faithfully,

[name]

IM IN THE SAME POSITION,

sent tis letter over 3 weeks ago giving them 14 days to respond but nothing as yet

what is the net step please someone
Old 06-01-2007, 11:21 AM
mcgoo
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by M K
Originally Posted by jaclyn_67
I have sent the following letter to my bank and the stated 14 days have now expired. I need to know which letter i send now in order to reclaim my money. Please help asap.

[your address]

[their address]

Request for repayment of charges

Dear Sir/Madam,

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxxxx

My request
I am writing to ask you to refund to me the charges which you have levied from my account over the last XXXX years
I now understand that the regime of fees which you have been applying to my account in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

Your responsibilites
I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

What I require
I calculate that you have taken £XXXXX plus £XXX which you have charged me in overdraft interest for the sum which you have taken. Total £XXXXX
Additionally you have entered a default notice against my credit record. This default occurred merely in respect of unlawful charges levied by you or was the result of impecuniosity caused directly by he taking by you of penalty charges which you had applied unlawfully to my account.

In addition to full payment of the sum mentioned above I require that you remove the default entry from the register. Please note that mere correction or amendment to the entry will not be acceptable.

My targets to resolve this matter
I hope that you will enter into a sincere dialogue with me about this matter and I am writing this letter to you on the assumption that you will prefer to do this than merely respond with standard letters and leaflets.

I will give you 14 days to reply to me accepting unconditionally my request in principle and letting me know a date by which I will receive payment.

If you do not respond or you do not respond positively within this time period, I shall send you a letter before action giving you a further 14 days in which to reflect. I believe that these targets are more than sufficient for a large company such as yours with dedicated staff and departments.

After that will be no further communication from me and I shall issue a claim at the expiry of the second deadline.

Yours faithfully,

[name]

IM IN THE SAME POSITION,

sent tis letter over 3 weeks ago giving them 14 days to respond but nothing as yet

what is the net step please someone
It tells you in bold the next step
Old 06-01-2007, 04:53 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

so is it this 1 i need to send next

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Your Banks Address]

[Date]

[Your Address]

Dear Sirs

[Your Account Number/Details]

Due to recent media coverage on bank charges I am now aware that you, { Banks name} have been charging me, charges, that are contrary to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. Schedule 2 (e) of the said regulations gives a non-complete list of terms, which may be regarded as unfair, such as a term that requires me as a consumer who fails in his obligation, to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation.

I believe that your charges are disproportionately high and therefore they are contrary to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Regulations 1999. In addition I believe that your charges are a Penalty. Penalty charges are irrecoverable at common law. The precedent for this was Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co Ltd v New Garage and Motor co Ltd [1915] AC 79.along with Murray v. Leisure play [2005] EWCA Civ 963 It was held that a contractual party can only recover damages for an actual loss or liquidated losses. It is clear that your charges do not reflect any actual and or real loss.

furthermore if you fail to comply with this letter, I request without further notice a breakdown and proof of all costs involved, in regards to your actual or liquidated losses involved in any breach of contract to which these charges relate with yourselves, and that these charges reflect your true costs In relation to the said charges, and are proportionate to the charges levied on my account as defined in Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. Schedule 2 (e)
I also hereby request a detailed report of which clause in your terms and conditions each charge has been applied against.

Your charges appear to be nothing more than a profit-making scheme. Therefore I require you to refund me at a total of £ , representing the total, unlawful during the last 6 years. I hereby give you 14 days to refund the charges back on to my account.

Furthermore I am well aware of your tactics as to delay the process for as long as possible in the hope that claimants will back down, and I am in no doubt that many of these claimants do just that. However please note I will not back down and I will not accept a partial settlement.

For the avoidance of doubt, if these charges are not reimbursed within 14 days, I will commence my claim in the courts without further warning with every intention of backing up my actions and my claim at a Hearing. This action will inevitably involve you in additional costs.

Yours Sincerely
Old 08-01-2007, 03:42 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can someone just tell me in a nutshell WTF this is all about?

There is now way I can devote a week of my life reading through 24 pages.

I understand that people are recouping bank charges which have been found to be unfair, but what I am failing to understand is how people are managing to rack up totals of £5000-6000 in 6 years. Surely you people haven't been paying fee's every month?

If I said that in 7 1/2 years that Beccy and I have been together we might have had one or two instances where we have gone over our agreed overdraught and paid £23.50 each time for it, that would probably be exaggerating.

I have to say that if you guys REALLY have paid this kind of money out in bank charges, then surely you would have addressed your methods during this time? To pay these fee's month on month for 6 years + in some cases is just ridiculous.

Or have I missed the point here?
Old 08-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Katie

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
Can someone just tell me in a nutshell WTF this is all about?

There is now way I can devote a week of my life reading through 24 pages.

I understand that people are recouping bank charges which have been found to be unfair, but what I am failing to understand is how people are managing to rack up totals of £5000-6000 in 6 years. Surely you people haven't been paying fee's every month?

If I said that in 7 1/2 years that Beccy and I have been together we might have had one or two instances where we have gone over our agreed overdraught and paid £23.50 each time for it, that would probably be exaggerating.

I have to say that if you guys REALLY have paid this kind of money out in bank charges, then surely you would have addressed your methods during this time? To pay these fee's month on month for 6 years + in some cases is just ridiculous.

Or have I missed the point here?
I did wonder. But I suppose it only takes one go over the overdraft and not to pay it back to mean you're living in the overdraft permenantly if you're earning the same each month. They aren't getting all the charges back though are they? So if you're getting £6k back..how much have you paid..
Old 08-01-2007, 03:54 PM
alistairolsen

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

yes you get all or nearly all of the charges back, and yes, to accrue a 6k of charges over 6 years you have to be a total idiot
Old 08-01-2007, 03:59 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OK, so tell me this then. Once this has all come to a head and the banks sit and work out how much money they have had to repay, what will they do?? Take it on the chin and say 'Doh, that was a bit of a mistake'?

No, I don't think so. In reality the more conscientious among us will end up picking up the tab with higher banking charges and fewer benefits?

I have seen this thread buillding and never really read it having not knowingly paid much in charges, but having sat and thought about it realised that this may not be a good idea.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:44 PM
scottbrown

OK, so tell me this then. Once this has all come to a head and the banks sit and work out how much money they have had to repay, what will they do?? Take it on the chin and say 'Doh, that was a bit of a mistake'?

No, I don't think so. In reality the more conscientious among us will end up picking up the tab with higher banking charges and fewer benefits?

I have seen this thread buillding and never really read it having not knowingly paid much in charges, but having sat and thought about it realised that this may not be a good idea.
not sure what the banks will do next, maybe going back to having to pay for your account is one option. some credit cards have started to do this again as they did years ago.
This all came about because a consumber watch dog, investigated charges, and legally charges can only be made that are a true representation of cost to the lender. the watchdog worked the cost to the banks to be round about £12, yet the banks are charging anywhere between 30-40.

The banks are paying up because if they let a case go to court and lose then a precedent will have been set and every person in the country who has every received a charge will have to be re paid. so in the short term it is cheaper for the banks to pay out before it reaches court.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:45 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

il agree to that........................................

when ive got me fcuking moneyback
Old 08-01-2007, 06:04 PM
northerner
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Lets not lose sight of how much money banks actually made from penalty charges @£4.5bn.

On the flipside, most banks on the continent charge people for current accounts.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:11 PM
Neil S
PassionFord Post Troll

Christian: The banks have broken the law in charging punters in the first place.

Are you saying that the banks should be allowed to operate illegaly in order to fund free banking for others?

Neil.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:31 AM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

got an offer today from HSBC

have offered me £1960.00 in settlement of my claim of £2359.87

as they say the following....

HSBC's interest rates are well published in respect of both formal and informal overdrafts. you have asked us to refund overdraft interest on your account. it is, of course, a condition of your borrowing. as such we will not be refunding the interest that has been applied to your debt.

In circumstances where you have authorised a payment that would, if met by us, lead to your account going overdrawn or over an agreed overdraft limit, we have to consider whether to make this payment. A fee is payable for this service provided by the bank, details of which are clearly set out in our published price list. The circumstances in which the fee will apply are clearly set out in our personal banking terms and conditions which you were provided with a copy of when you opened your account. If your claim for a refund proceeded to court, we therefore believe we would succesfully resist any legal challenge in relation to these fees.

HSBC is however, mindful of the management time an irrecoverable legal cost that it may incur in relation to such a claim. for those commercial reasons alone, and without any adission of liability whatsoever, HSBC is prepared to make a payment to you in the sum of £1960.00 representing the charges applied in full and finalsettlement of this matter.

so are they still paying out in full the debt & interest + the 8% if you issue court proceedings?

thanks
marc
Old 11-01-2007, 11:36 AM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Deadringer spot on mate, i have never had one charge on my accounts, as you say, if you dont have it dont spend it

the gf on the other hand is into 4 figures, which i am claiming on her behalf lol
Old 11-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Dan Cossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by M K

HSBC's interest rates are well published in respect of both formal and informal overdrafts. you have asked us to refund overdraft interest on your account. it is, of course, a condition of your borrowing. as such we will not be refunding the interest that has been applied to your debt.

In circumstances where you have authorised a payment that would, if met by us, lead to your account going overdrawn or over an agreed overdraft limit, we have to consider whether to make this payment. A fee is payable for this service provided by the bank, details of which are clearly set out in our published price list. The circumstances in which the fee will apply are clearly set out in our personal banking terms and conditions which you were provided with a copy of when you opened your account. If your claim for a refund proceeded to court, we therefore believe we would succesfully resist any legal challenge in relation to these fees.

HSBC is however, mindful of the management time an irrecoverable legal cost that it may incur in relation to such a claim. for those commercial reasons alone, and without any adission of liability whatsoever, HSBC is prepared to make a payment to you in the sum of £1960.00 representing the charges applied in full and finalsettlement of this matter.

so are they still paying out in full the debt & interest + the 8% if you issue court proceedings?

thanks
marc
thats quality Mark, both Natwest and Nationwide have refused to pay now and i cant be arsed to go court over it
Old 11-01-2007, 11:44 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

court action started against HSBC .....bring it on fuckers
Old 11-01-2007, 12:16 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by DanCossie
Originally Posted by M K

thanks
marc
thats quality Mark, both Natwest and Nationwide have refused to pay now and i cant be arsed to go court over it
what you mean you didnt get offered a penny dan?
or you took them to court & lost

my sister has also started court proceedings against HSBC
Old 11-01-2007, 02:18 PM
BlueSmoke
PassionFord's crazy fool!

I've had a letter just before Xmas (I've only sent them the initial 1st letter requesting statements) saying they've acknowledged the payment and will be happy to send the statements as soon as I confirm my address in the branch and with them. I wrote from my present address but my account was still under my dad's addy. So I changed that a couple of weeks back but still haven't had the statements and the 40 days has gone.

Now, this letter had no number on to call, so I dunno what to do next. The letter came from the risk dept. One of the cashiers in the bank reckoned they would be sent automatically after my change of address went through but that doesn't appear to have happened.

What's my next move?
Old 11-01-2007, 02:45 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

now they have the ne address mate id request the 6 years staments again,

thy have no reason not to be able to send them out this time round
Old 11-01-2007, 02:48 PM
Dan Cossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by M K
Originally Posted by M K

thanks
marc
what you mean you didnt get offered a penny dan?
or you took them to court & lost

my sister has also started court proceedings against HSBC
Yeah they flatly refused sayin all charges were fair and just

so gonna cost £80 to take each one to court
Old 11-01-2007, 02:57 PM
mcgoo
Part of the Furniture

thats just stalling tactics, trying to put you off, if you take them to court they will pay out before it gets there, of all the cases so far according to the money saving expert not one bank has actually gone to court yet, they always settle before the court date.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:58 PM
Dan Cossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by mcgoo
thats just stalling tactics, trying to put you off, if you take them to court they will pay out before it gets there, of all the cases so far according to the money saving expert not one bank has actually gone to court yet, they always settle before the court date.
i kno im just a lazy cunt and £160 quid to court fees or a night out tomm??? hhmmm what to do
Old 11-01-2007, 03:24 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

anybody know the time scale from starting court proceedings to getting paid out roughly???

does the court claim go through in say 30 days maximum etc?
Old 11-01-2007, 03:27 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Chick - I would accept there offer matey, court cases can be long and they might withdraw any refund if they win!! My second letter has gone off now so fingers crossed I will get something in the post this week!

Chris
Old 11-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Dan Cossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by cfoster
Chick - I would accept there offer matey, court cases can be long and they might withdraw any refund if they win!! My second letter has gone off now so fingers crossed I will get something in the post this week!

Chris
Good luck chris.....i done that and they refused BOTH banks
Old 11-01-2007, 03:47 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Chris
i thought you got paid by 1 tho

must be thinking of some 1 else
Old 11-01-2007, 03:51 PM
Dan Cossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by M K

Chris
i thought you got paid by 1 tho

must be thinking of some 1 else
come on mate there is only one of me and na both the fookers sent basically the same letter
Old 11-01-2007, 04:21 PM
simhopper
PassionFord Regular

as far as im aware no one has lost a court case as it never gets to that stage

as soon as you file a court claim and your date comes thro the banks back down

there even pay your costs

to offer you something is admitting guilt,banks dont give money away if there dont have to

pursue the full amount and dont take a penny less
Old 13-01-2007, 10:20 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well got a letter through the post from the Halifax after posting my second and last warning (about Court action) last week and they have offered to pay all of the money back!!! Was only about £700 but least that pays for half me holiday!!!

Rock on!!!

Chris
Old 13-01-2007, 10:45 AM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

nice 1 fozzy

i think im gonna go on line today and fill out my claim agains them
Old 14-01-2007, 02:58 PM
essex_jamie
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

got my letter back and added up charges came to £1065 do i need to add interest onto it or just claim the £1065??
Old 14-01-2007, 03:23 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

FAO anyone who has sent the second letter and been told NO, take the fuckers to court , NOONE has lost a case yet, and I don't think any bank has even defended yet, as if they loose they have to repay ALL of the fee's they have charged anyone

If you need any advice to to www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk , you have to register, but it's free and has a comprehensive guide to claiming the charges back,`and all the sample letters you need to send. Also, for anyone stuck on how to claim,`they link you to www.moneyclaim.gov.uk , this is an online court summons issue site, which will cost a small fee to send people to court, but it's reclaimed in the costs

Don't back down from the banks, they not got a leg to stand on
Old 16-01-2007, 12:58 PM
Shakey Jake

Got mine sorted to

Sent off just under £700 worth of charge's and got offered £400 so damn right i'm accepting it

Sod all this fucking about with second letters just to try and get another few poxy hundered quid.

It's money i would not have had in the first place
Old 16-01-2007, 04:42 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Nice one Dal!!!! No excuse for a large one in a couple of weeks then!! (Chelmsford??!)

Chris
Old 16-01-2007, 04:44 PM
Shakey Jake

Nice one Dal!!!! No excuse for a large one in a couple of weeks then!! (Chelmsford??!)

Chris

Quick Reply: Have you ever been charged by your bank????