General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Have you ever been charged by your bank????

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 04:11 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

Nationwide have come back to me and will be sending my transactions in about 40 days.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:09 PM
dvid
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, why not send off for your statements now, they can take upto 40 days to arrive then when you are ready at least you can go straight for the claim
We might just do that, we were waiting until we were in a position that we would pay all our monthly costs and still be in the + ....currently we are dipping about £200 into overdraft (limit is £850) so not being charged, but like I said we went through a bad period

Thanks for the advice
Old 04-12-2006, 05:19 PM
BlueSmoke
PassionFord's crazy fool!

I just realised that my account is still at my dad's address, but when I wrote to them for the statements I put my home (mum's) address on the letter. Will this cause a problem? Would they send the statements anyway but to the address against the account?
Old 04-12-2006, 05:39 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

got my statements through from hsbc added all up & in the last 6 years my charges have been a total of

£2178 penalty charges
£181 interest on them charges

but my sister has put in her claim & hsbc has asked her for a full break down of the charges so im gonna do the same

this aint a problem so il do it on excel spreadsheet before i send it off, save them dragging their heels asking for it later

il keep ya updated
Old 04-12-2006, 05:46 PM
shaun1967
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Originally Posted by DogSmoke
I just realised that my account is still at my dad's address, but when I wrote to them for the statements I put my home (mum's) address on the letter. Will this cause a problem? Would they send the statements anyway but to the address against the account?
hi, your best bet is to give them a call so they dont use it as an excuse for delaying it.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:54 PM
banhambuilt
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

wow,just read all 23 pages,took me about 3 hrs,gonna have a lie down now.

i have had a few bad patch`s in my life concerning money
just been on-line to my halifax account and i can only get 12 months statements of it,although it has 23 account charges on it in this time,they must owe me a fortune.
i will send of the first letter tommorow,and let you guys know.

it has made me realise how much i don`t look after my money though,but hayho,it`s my money

dave
Old 04-12-2006, 05:58 PM
lamb chops
PassionFord Post Whore!!

hehe same here Dave, gets scary when you go through 6 years worth

I had an offer back from Barclays yesterday of 2k for my 6k worth of charges, told them no thanks and have applied for a court date Fingers crossed..
Old 04-12-2006, 06:01 PM
shaun1967

Originally Posted by lamb chops
hehe same here Dave, gets scary when you go through 6 years worth

I had an offer back from Barclays yesterday of 2k for my 6k worth of charges, told them no thanks and have applied for a court date Fingers crossed..
Barclays can be a pain in the ass. But they pay just the same
Old 04-12-2006, 06:02 PM
Uncle Winnett

just to let you all no i won again this time cap one paid up in full

so thats the hsbc paid up in full

halifax criditcard paid up in full

and capone criditcard paid up in full

john
Old 04-12-2006, 06:02 PM
lamb chops
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks Shaun, just waiting for the court date to come back.. No long now, i hope..
Old 04-12-2006, 06:08 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

what letters have been sending to the credit card companies.

Is it the same as the one i sent off to Nationwide. ITs from Shaun's site.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:11 PM
shaun1967

Originally Posted by R4N S S
what letters have been sending to the credit card companies.

Is it the same as the one i sent off to Nationwide. ITs from Shaun's site.
same letter just change 'bank account' to 'account'
Old 04-12-2006, 06:13 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

sorted - i am gonna do this for my credit cards too. got like 10 of the bastards
Old 04-12-2006, 10:25 PM
BlueSmoke
PassionFord's crazy fool!

I actually asked for credit card statements from Natwest about 3 months ago now I come to think of it, and I haven't had them through

Requested by phone though so they will deny it. I'll get on with that one by post as well.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:21 AM
banhambuilt

just to clarify,
send letter 1 off,wait up to 40 days (£10)
send letter 2,wait 14 days
send letter 3,wait 14 days
apply for a court date (£120)

wait for the fat lady to sing
all the above info was from
http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...lates-library/

is it best just to highlight all charges on the statements,or do a spreadsheet or something that i can send to the court and halifax?
i have never used a spreadsheet before so that would be fun

legalities and finace ain`t 1 of my strong points and i wan`t to get this right.
thanks for your help

dave
Old 05-12-2006, 08:01 PM
jaclyn_67
Virgin

Just a wee update on my progress.

I sent a letter asking to be provided with the neccessary information and/or statements for my account and received a letter saying that i will received them within the 40 days i gave them.

I also sent a letter for another account of mine which i already knew the amount of charges for. The 14 days is now up and i have, as yet, not received my refund or any correspondance. What should i do now with regards to this as the letter i wrote to them said i would take the matter to court if they did not comply.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:06 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

back to the top - im now at LBA stage-14 days and counting

SHAUN YOU HAVE PM< URGENT!!!
Old 11-12-2006, 10:28 PM
Neil S
PassionFord Post Troll

I've just had FULL settlement from Barclays (Charges + interest + court fees) just under two weeks before my court date

Hang in there people - they WILL pay up!

Neil.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:43 PM
silverfox999

You might need to demand the data under the DPA. If you bank online you can back many years (i bank with Lloyds online and went back i think 2-3yrs to get my info for free).

I am halfway through this process and i think i have them sweating. I might have to copy, paste the excellent last letter from above though to finally nail the coffin shut...

I believe that credit cards are next on the list to be targetted.

Thanks for the upload.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Nikki
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Just got a letter back from the bank (HSBC) & I'm not too sure what to do?

Do I take this further or take the offer ??

Thank you for your letter dated 24th October 2006 requesting a refund on your bank charges of £1953.30 going back six years.

HSBC's interest rates are well publicised in respect of both formal & informal overdrafts. You have asked us to refund overdraft interest on your account. It is, of course, a condition of your borring from us that you will pay interest at the agreed rates on that borrowing. As such we will not be refunding the interest that has been applied to your debt.

In circumstances where you have authorised a payment that would, if met by us, lead to your account going overdrawn or over an agreed overdraft limit, we have to consider wheather to make this payment. A fee is payable for this service provided by the bank, details of which are clearly set out in our published price list. The circumstances in which the fee will apply are clearly set out in our personal banking terms & conditions which you were provided with a copy when you opened your account. If your claim for a refund proceeded to Court, we therefore believe that we would successfully resist any legal challenge in relation to these fees.

HSBC is, however, mindful of the management time & irrecoverable legal costs that it may occur in relation to such a claim. For those commercial reasons alone, & without any admission of liability whatsoever, HSBC is prepared to make a payment to you in the sum of £1350.00 representing the charges applied in full & final settlement of this matter.

If you accept this proposal please sign & return the enclosed copy of this letter to us within 10 working days & we will arrange for a refund to be made to you. Please allow 7 working days for your account to be credited from receipt by ourselves. If we do not recieve your signed acceptance within this timescale, we will take it that you have declined our offer.

WHAT DO I DO ??????????????/ any help would be most appreciated ??

Do I take the money or do I hold out for the rest ??

So I'm short £603.30

xxx
Old 12-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Daviet
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im sure if you go on shauns site he will help you.but if there offering you that much there obvously in the wrong so id hold out for the full amount im sure you can also except that amount in part settlement so you can still spend that money while you await the rest
Old 12-12-2006, 05:58 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

have you calculated JUST the interest they owe you for the charges sending you overdrawn or all of the interest you have paid on your overdraft within its limit nikki?
Old 12-12-2006, 08:03 PM
bigjim172000
Me Cossie Runs Atlast!!!!

I can go online and see the charges as i have only been with lloyds tsb for 4 years on one account and 2 on the other. Can i just send the letter asking fo payout and list the charges and dates?
Old 12-12-2006, 08:43 PM
bigjim172000
Me Cossie Runs Atlast!!!!

anyone?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:09 PM
silverfox999

BBC 2 NOW!

Bank Robbery! Very interesting...
Old 12-12-2006, 10:06 PM
Uncle Winnett

Originally Posted by Nikki

Thank you for your letter dated 24th October 2006 requesting a refund on your bank charges of £1953.30 going back six years.

HSBC's interest rates are well publicised in respect of both formal & informal overdrafts. You have asked us to refund overdraft interest on your account. It is, of course, a condition of your borring from us that you will pay interest at the agreed rates on that borrowing. As such we will not be refunding the interest that has been applied to your debt.

In circumstances where you have authorised a payment that would, if met by us, lead to your account going overdrawn or over an agreed overdraft limit, we have to consider wheather to make this payment. A fee is payable for this service provided by the bank, details of which are clearly set out in our published price list. The circumstances in which the fee will apply are clearly set out in our personal banking terms & conditions which you were provided with a copy when you opened your account. If your claim for a refund proceeded to Court, we therefore believe that we would successfully resist any legal challenge in relation to these fees.

HSBC is, however, mindful of the management time & irrecoverable legal costs that it may occur in relation to such a claim. For those commercial reasons alone, & without any admission of liability whatsoever, HSBC is prepared to make a payment to you in the sum of £1350.00 representing the charges applied in full & final settlement of this matter.

If you accept this proposal please sign & return the enclosed copy of this letter to us within 10 working days & we will arrange for a refund to be made to you. Please allow 7 working days for your account to be credited from receipt by ourselves. If we do not recieve your signed acceptance within this timescale, we will take it that you have declined our offer.

So I'm short £603.30

xxx

hold out i had over 2k off them ended up paying the full amount

john
Old 14-12-2006, 10:29 PM
lamb chops
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Nikki

So I'm short £603.30

xxx
#

Hold out, Ive just had the exact same letter from Barclays, well allmost. We dont agree with you but are willing to offer you X amount to go away.

I have now filled court proceeding and am waiting for a responce back from them.. Maybe getting close now I hope
Old 15-12-2006, 05:47 AM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

i got my friend at work doing this now,

he's just had a part offer for £1000 of the total £3600 his claiming,

he refused this & gave them them a further 14 days to refund it all but he has heard nothing for about 4 weeks now

can somebody link the next letter he needs to send which i think is the court 1???

also how do you go about doing this?

thanx
Old 15-12-2006, 05:55 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

right - i got all my transactions through from the bank.

What exactly am i looking for on my statements
Old 15-12-2006, 05:59 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
have you calculated JUST the interest they owe you for the charges sending you overdrawn or all of the interest you have paid on your overdraft within its limit Nikki?
how do you do that - im thick when it comes to maths and stuff :walll:
Old 15-12-2006, 06:51 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

does the charges include the unauth orderdraft fee and returned direct debit fee?
Old 15-12-2006, 06:55 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I received my first letter from the Halifax saying that it has gone to their claims team who will be dealing with in due course, they also enclosed a leaflet....

Shaun - what now mate??!! Do I send the second letter anyway or shall I wait??

Chris
Old 15-12-2006, 08:17 AM
starturbo
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

So,What I understand from all thats been written is that I can claim the interest from my overdraft (£60 a month) and when ive exceeded the overdraft,The charges that they have levied (£100 for going over even by two quid)can be claimed back?
Old 18-12-2006, 11:03 AM
Hayxr
PassionFord Post Troll

Just had a letter from barclays pracacticly saying what they said in nikki's letter but offering me like half of what i claimed,

What do i do now, fill out a court form???? Where can i do this?
Old 18-12-2006, 06:19 PM
jaclyn_67
Virgin

I have sent the following letter to my bank and the stated 14 days have now expired. I need to know which letter i send now in order to reclaim my money. Please help asap.

[your address]

[their address]

Request for repayment of charges

Dear Sir/Madam,

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxxxx

My request
I am writing to ask you to refund to me the charges which you have levied from my account over the last XXXX years
I now understand that the regime of fees which you have been applying to my account in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

Your responsibilites
I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

What I require
I calculate that you have taken £XXXXX plus £XXX which you have charged me in overdraft interest for the sum which you have taken. Total £XXXXX
Additionally you have entered a default notice against my credit record. This default occurred merely in respect of unlawful charges levied by you or was the result of impecuniosity caused directly by he taking by you of penalty charges which you had applied unlawfully to my account.

In addition to full payment of the sum mentioned above I require that you remove the default entry from the register. Please note that mere correction or amendment to the entry will not be acceptable.

My targets to resolve this matter
I hope that you will enter into a sincere dialogue with me about this matter and I am writing this letter to you on the assumption that you will prefer to do this than merely respond with standard letters and leaflets.

I will give you 14 days to reply to me accepting unconditionally my request in principle and letting me know a date by which I will receive payment.

If you do not respond or you do not respond positively within this time period, I shall send you a letter before action giving you a further 14 days in which to reflect. I believe that these targets are more than sufficient for a large company such as yours with dedicated staff and departments.

After that will be no further communication from me and I shall issue a claim at the expiry of the second deadline.

Yours faithfully,

[name]
Old 19-12-2006, 10:30 PM
starturbo

Originally Posted by Hay Xr
Just had a letter from barclays pracacticly saying what they said in Nikki's letter but offering me like half of what i claimed,

Try "bankcharges.info".good luck Hay.
Old 27-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Shakey Jake
Advanced PassionFord User

At some of your total's i'm fucking shocked to say the least.

I thought i was bad but up against most of you lot i'm a saint.

Good luck to you all though at the end of the day spend it while you can.... you can't take it with you
Old 27-12-2006, 07:39 PM
Andy_R
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hay Xr
Just had a letter from barclays pracacticly saying what they said in Nikki's letter but offering me like half of what i claimed,

All the info you could even need....clear and concise & easy to understand here.............

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi...0,24632,#step5

Next step is:-

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp
Old 28-12-2006, 07:29 AM
starturbo

Originally Posted by Deadringer

At some of your total's i'm fucking shocked to say the least.

I thought i was bad but up against most of you lot i'm a saint.

Good luck to you all though at the end of the day spend it while you can.... you can't take it with you
Maybe you earn more than most or live in a cheaper part of the country?I think if you look at most people you would find a lot (even those neighbours or family that appear flush) to be kicking the arse out of the loans/credit cards that the banks or loan companies keep forcing down your throat at every opportunity.I am not having a go at you either for the comments you made.Its just that you cannot sugar coat an answer to that.
Old 28-12-2006, 08:05 AM
Gra
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I have just this morning recived my letter telling me they are gonna refund my charges, a nice 1k to me my wife just got heres as well she got £350
wicked

Quick Reply: Have you ever been charged by your bank????