General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

In some trouble with AA. Any advice

Search this Thread

Old 23-02-2006, 08:55 PM
L33 BYT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In some trouble with AA. Any advice

I started a breakdown policy in August 2004 via Direct DEBIT.
All good for the year. but knowing I was getting a company car when the year was up I rang and said I no longer requred the cover for 2005-2006.
She said that when the cards come send them back with a letter saying I wanted to cancel. Done.

Any way done some bank account checking in December 05 and find the AA have been taking money. So I cancel DD.
Any way today I get an AA branded letter from a debt collection agency saying I owe for a full year.

The AA are not interested in helping as they have sold the debt. And the only thing the agency want is there money.

They say I have seven days before further action is taken and Im not sure how to convince them this is there mistake.

What are my rights here. I never autherised the renewal of my poilicy.
Old 23-02-2006, 08:57 PM
89xr2
Brap!

Do you know what day you spoke to them and who told you to send the cards back etc? Do you know what day you sent your stuff back?
Old 23-02-2006, 08:58 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

As far as I know mate (if there anything like normal direct debit's that I deal with at work) then you as the consumer/customer have the right to cancel the direct debit anytime you like.

A direct debit is just a rolling contract for as long as you want it, be careful though as if it's financed via a credit company then it's a whole different matter

Personally i'd ring up and ask to speak to a supervisor or a manager not just any old monkey on the end of the phone HTH
Old 23-02-2006, 08:58 PM
L33 BYT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Not really no. With out checking dates.
Old 23-02-2006, 09:00 PM
L33 BYT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Personally i'd ring up and ask to speak to a supervisor or a manager not just any old monkey on the end of the phone HTH
I tried. The agents (gate keepers) wont let you past them. Even hang up when you ask to speak to a manager.
Old 23-02-2006, 09:02 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by RST_lee
I tried. The agents (gate keepers) wont let you past them. Even hang up when you ask to speak to a manager.
Thats disgusting mate, I know these big companies dont give a fuck but that's bad!

Write a formal letter of complaint and feed the collection agency a bit of bullshit to bid some time perhaps? Dont think they'll let up would be my only worry!
Old 23-02-2006, 09:05 PM
L33 BYT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I have sent this letter to them. AA customer services manager and Managing director.

For the attention of

Moorcroft
Managing Director of AA
AA Customer services/Team Leader - Manager

REF Account – *******, Moorcroft Ref – ********

Dear Sir/Madam,

With understanding you are a collection agency on behalf of the AA I require this letter to be actioned immediately.

In August 2004 I signed up to the AA via the direct debit scheme. In 2005 I had no need to renew my policy as I was due to move from my home address to a new address, I was also taking part in a company car scheme with my employers so would have no need to be concerned in regard to breakdown cover. I spoke to AA customer services and after receiving new AA member ship cards I returned these cards with a letter confirming I wished to cancel. This was in written terms that I had 2 weeks cool down period. This was adhered to so why do I owe monies. I did not authorise a renewal in any way.

From August/September 2005 up until January 2006 the AA had been charging my account via Direct Debit. I had immediately cancelled this with my bank on the 30?? December to which now I have landed in Moorcrofts arms.

After speaking to the citizens advice bureau they have suggested I write this letter to you as the Debt has been passed to your selves. However this Debt has been caused due to a mistake at the AA end and I need this rectifying within 7 days before I pass this over to Citizens advice and also forward this to Watchdog.

I will keep this letter to the facts and avoid stating my feelings of anger towards the AA. Please advice.

Can be contacted on phone ******* or **********

Sincerely

Lee Byatt
Old 23-02-2006, 09:05 PM
89xr2
Brap!

Go to citizens advice and ask for their help. They'd know exactly what to do. If you can produce who you spoke to etc when you sent your cards back it would help you alot.

Just saw your letter. I'd wait and see what they say to that mate.
Old 23-02-2006, 09:08 PM
L33 BYT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Should have sent the buggers back recorded delivery.
Old 23-02-2006, 09:09 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Seems fair enough mate, i've had probs like this before with big stores etc and gone in and caused fucking mayhem to get it sorted out!

Shame you can't 'pop into' the AA and do the same!
Old 23-02-2006, 09:09 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when i got messed about by natwest for them taking cash from my account when they offered to "upgrade" my account as i was a good customer i got no real responce

i sent 238 emails to there customer service team and i got them calling me 48 hours later,,,,,,,, they took a while to sort it out but i got my cash back and 400 quid compesation for my hassle/phone bill

if you sent the cards back thats proof enough you canceled,,,,,,,,, IF you never wrote ioff to em and canceled aswell as not contacted the bank ( as yoiu have to or they will take the money " by mistake" ) to cancel the direct debit then you are gon a have to rely on there customer service to help you out

has to be saiud though that the AA are one of the BETTER for customer service and they really do look after there members

shame that you aint one anymore
Old 23-02-2006, 09:11 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Dan
Seems fair enough mate, i've had probs like this before with big stores etc and gone in and caused fucking mayhem to get it sorted out!

just spam there email mate, i find that works well not to mention the electronic proof they recived it and what time they read it
Old 23-02-2006, 09:13 PM
L33 BYT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

No doubt a company like the AA would pick up my email as a spam and then add me to some filter.
Old 23-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Moondust_crust
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

how much is a full year mate, if its not too much i would be tempted to pay it and learn the hard way, hope you get it sorted , i hate stuff like this it just seems to go on foreva.
cheers mark
Old 23-02-2006, 09:16 PM
L33 BYT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Its only 140 they want. The money aint a worry. It the principle and im a Stubborn fucker
Old 23-02-2006, 09:16 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by b19bal
Originally Posted by Dan

just spam there email mate, i find that works well not to mention the electronic proof they recived it and what time they read it
Doesn't e-mail rock, they can't hang up on you like they can with a phone! ROFL
Old 23-02-2006, 09:24 PM
Moondust_crust

i can be stubborn sometimes but honestly i would just pay it as thats how debts can go outta control and rather than the debt collection agency asking for Ł140 they will be asking for nearer Ł600 if they have to come chasing you , bunch of bastewards
Old 23-02-2006, 09:26 PM
L33 BYT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yeah understand that but its not a debt I have created. Its there error.
Old 23-02-2006, 09:29 PM
Eagle
Super Moderator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pay it and then keep calling the fuckers out...

but seriously deffo keep complaining ...
Old 23-02-2006, 09:30 PM
Moondust_crust

hope you get it sorted dude, let us know how you get on, all the best
cheers mark.
Old 23-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Eagle
pay it and then keep calling the fuckers out...

but seriously deffo keep complaining ...
Agree, why give in for someone else's error! Don't do it mate!
Old 23-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Dan
Originally Posted by Dan

in all honesty i only done it as a last resort,,,,,, i spent 3 months of waiting to be called back and never did or if i did i got another department

complain to there main head office in writing and mention financial ombusman then they seem to sort things,,,,,,, still took em over a month though,,,,,,,,, but i was rewarded for it
Old 23-02-2006, 09:45 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Dan
Originally Posted by Dan

in all honesty i only done it as a last resort,,,,,, i spent 3 months of waiting to be called back and never did or if i did i got another department

complain to there main head office in writing and mention financial ombusman then they seem to sort things,,,,,,, still took em over a month though,,,,,,,,, but i was rewarded for it
The ombudsman is always a good one, people threaten me with at work all the time thinking they know what there doing!
Old 23-02-2006, 10:12 PM
Redkop
Member No: 39

When you have been paying installments for something by Direct Debit or Standing Order and it ends or you don't renew, it's up to you, as the individual, to cancel the DDs at your bank immediately after the last payment. This will stop any further attempts being made to take money from your account, it also deals with any confusion that may arise at a much sooner date than has happened in this case.
Old 23-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Redkop
When you have been paying installments for something by Direct Debit or Standing Order and it ends or you don't renew, it's up to you, as the individual, to cancel the DDs at your bank immediately after the last payment. This will stop any further attempts being made to take money from your account, it also deals with any confusion that may arise at a much sooner date than has happened in this case.

cheers for that obvious point of infomation,,,,,,,,, whats the the replie gonna be,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, " it gets dark at night"

thr bank had the cheak to tell ME that i should have kept a EYE on my account so i would tell if there was any money being taken with out my permission

at which point i mentioned another OBVIOUS fact,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I DIDNT FUCKING EXPECT MY BANK TO BE STEALING FUCKING MONEY FROM ME OF ALL PEOPLE,,,,,,,,,, I WOULD LIKE TO THINK YOUR THE LAST ONES TO DO IT CONSIDERING YOU HAVE ALL MY CASH
Old 23-02-2006, 10:34 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Exactly, if he's been paying the direct debit why does he owe a full year!?
Old 24-02-2006, 08:19 AM
djc
Virgin

Moorcroft are a complete joke. The current, and last firm I worked for use them to recover debt's, and even if our customers pay the debt to us instead of moorcroft, they still persue it.

Don't worry about the balance increasing, or any credit reference agency's being involved, they are one of the companies that use all the threats in the world, but no action is ever taken.

If you don't get a reply to your letter within 10 working days contact the ombudsman directly. Upon doing this you will receive a written reply with a full explanation from the AA within 10 working days, as this is a stipulation set by the ombudsman.

Good luck with it mate.
Old 24-02-2006, 08:54 AM
Redkop
Member No: 39

thr bank had the cheak to tell ME that i should have kept a EYE on my account so i would tell if there was any money being taken with out my permission

Cheek? Are you on crack or summat? Of course you should be keeping an eye on your account. How the hell would the bank know whether you've given permission or not?
Old 24-02-2006, 01:01 PM
AKRS1
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

all i can say is debt collect agencies cant take anything from you except they can ruin your credit history. If you owe money to the government for example council tax or parking tickets then yes you can get bailiffs around your house and the only other way you can get in problem is if you have something secured on your property. I would get in contact with the AA again and again if worst comes to worst pay the debt of to the debt collect agency but dont offer to pay the full amount as they probably bought the debt from AA for pennies.
Old 24-02-2006, 05:55 PM
L33 BYT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

May pay debit just so I dont get bad ratings.
Old 24-02-2006, 06:24 PM
king of bling
Regular Contributor

Default AA

Hi lee me had something similar with my car insurance i was paying DD then i deceided to scrap me car i cancelled me DD as there was no point paying insurance for a car i didnt have anymore. Never thought owt ov it till i went to insure my new runabout when i said i had 5 years no claims my old insurance wouldnt release them till i payed them the money i owed from cancelling the policy from the car i scraped i have paid it only because my new insurace worked out triple the cost if didnt have them but i can see what you mean when its the princple of the matter. Hope things work out ok for you mate. karl
Old 24-02-2006, 08:14 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

dont wanna give you bad news mate but by the time a debt recovery agent is in play then your credit rating is already bolloxed

get a credit check done ( its about 2 quid) and see if its on there and go from there
Old 24-02-2006, 11:26 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

Cheek? Are you on crack or summat? Of course you should be keeping an eye on your account. How the hell would the bank know whether you've given permission or not?
I'm with Lynne on this one

AFPMSL

Sorry, but you shot urself in the foot with that comment!

Old 25-02-2006, 12:09 AM
BlueSmoke
PassionFord's crazy fool!

Mate I'm with you. These companies think they can get away with this shit and these bully boy tactics. fight them all the way and inform them that if they don't sort it out then they can forget taking you to court over it as you will be starting your own civil proceedings and looking for a substantial compensation claim for the stress and anguish this has caused you and your family.

Fooking bastards
Old 25-02-2006, 09:48 AM
lil_me
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Moorcroft are a bunch of ignorant ***** I had to deal with them yesterday as they were sending me threatening letters for an error, ended up with some ignorant idiot called Cameron who thought he was something special on the other end of the phone. Contacted NPower and sorted it with them, Ł148.21 for 3 weeks gas, when I was away, which shold have been Ł8.31 going from meter readings, I know they weren't getting it

As for the debt with them, if you pay it to the collections people make sure you put a letter in saying it is only so you get no further hassle from them and will expect a full refund when the error is rectified. And copy every letter you send and send them recorded delivery.

We have had the same hassle with mobile phone companies who deny recieving cancellation letters, 16 letters phones4U denied recieving. 4 months later, line rental costing Ł50 a month I said either find the missing letters or I will come and cancel it in person. They found one of the letters I sent within 2 hours, strange eh!!

Had the same hassle with Orange, ended up dealing with one of the directors as I complained to Ofcom. Got it sorted within hours after that.
Old 25-02-2006, 12:47 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

dont wanna give you bad news mate but by the time a debt recovery agent is in play then your credit rating is already bolloxed

get a credit check done ( its about 2 quid) and see if its on there and go from there
The more you have checks done bal the lower it gets everytime!
Old 25-02-2006, 08:42 PM
L33 BYT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

No one will take owner ship as far as AA are concerned the Debt is sold. Grrr
Old 25-02-2006, 09:19 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

No one will take owner ship as far as AA are concerned the Debt is sold. Grrr
Try the ombudsman route then mate, keep us updated!
Old 25-02-2006, 09:25 PM
L33 BYT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

DAN who/what is ombudsman
Old 25-02-2006, 09:36 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by djc
Moorcroft are a complete joke. The current, and last firm I worked for use them to recover debt's, and even if our customers pay the debt to us instead of moorcroft, they still persue it.

Don't worry about the balance increasing, or any credit reference agency's being involved, they are one of the companies that use all the threats in the world, but no action is ever taken.

If you don't get a reply to your letter within 10 working days contact the ombudsman directly. Upon doing this you will receive a written reply with a full explanation from the AA within 10 working days, as this is a stipulation set by the ombudsman.

Good luck with it mate.
Described here fella, I think lol It's someone who is there to arbitrate between the consumer (you) and the Company, the whole of the finance sector has them, we have one for the insurance industry at work