Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

what do you weigh & what do you bench?

Search this Thread

Old 26-09-2011, 09:26 PM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

63!!! I've been doing mainly machine incline and flat press due to training on my own and basically ignored doing dumbell press. Right enjoyed it and feeling soreness today so might put them as my main movement on push day.
Old 27-09-2011, 07:43 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

It dissapoints me that you guys can press dumbells that weigh as much as my barbell
Old 27-09-2011, 08:51 AM
Kieron
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StephenC
63!!! I've been doing mainly machine incline and flat press due to training on my own and basically ignored doing dumbell press. Right enjoyed it and feeling soreness today so might put them as my main movement on push day.
I am also doing smith inclines at the mo. Never been a fan of machines but am enjoying it as it seems to give a real good stretch and hits the chest well. I've been converted. Well for that exercise only.

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
It dissapoints me that you guys can press dumbells that weigh as much as my barbell
Mate, we all start somewhere. 60kgs bench was my max when I first went to the gym. Lots of years and consistency. Just got to keep on at it. thats most peoples downfall. those that have done well or grown have done it over a long period of time.
Old 27-09-2011, 09:32 PM
stevenebm
post whore

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

managed some 42.5kg dumbells for 7 last week.never in a hundred years did i think i would be able to do these when i started training last year.
Old 28-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Dirty Harry
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Iam just moving onto 50k dumbells for flat chest press,been using 46k 3 sets 10 8 8,also going to try the 50s on seated shoulder press as iam using 46s at the min same again 10 8 8
never tried it on a bar I usually use a bar last to burn out on
Old 30-09-2011, 05:14 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

been on and off the gym in the last 6 weeks due to 2 holidays, the amount of strength you lose is quite a bit.

stick at it Stu, soon start getting there.
Old 30-09-2011, 05:34 PM
arch

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not been in the gym for a couple of weeks now, what with work/family etc. Need to get my lardy ass back there. I reckon I'm gonna struggle on the 45 db's.

Just before my enforced break, my bench has dropped an awful lot as well, just about managed 2 plates and 5 for a set, I think I need to get back onto protein/creatine.
Old 30-09-2011, 06:10 PM
geordie_ka
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Been going to the gym now for about 6 month and i do a warm up set of 20 reps with 40kg then 15 reps with 60kg 12 reps with 70kg and 10 reps with 80kg i hope to be on 100 kg soon even if its just 6 reps thats flat bench incline dumbells i do the same but weight is 15kg-20reps 20kg-15reps 25kg-10reps then between 30-34kg-6/8reps. I weigh 15.5 stone
Old 02-10-2011, 08:48 PM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

Been a funny old week for me so had to wait until today for another push day. Got 50kg for 9 then again for 4. Didn't realise but this gym (the one the gf goes to) tops out at 50kg dumbells so I'll have to wait a few days for when I'm back down at muscleworks to try somet heavier. Haven't a clue what the biggest is down there but I'm pretty sure it will be heavier than me !!! Kieron I love the incline press machine, my normal weight on there is 70 each side. I find doing it yates style (quick up and slowly down) feels awesome.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Kieron

Stephen, I have never used the machine I think you are referring to. 140kgs on incline is alot.

I'm talking about a very old Smith Machine. I get 70 odd kgs on there in total but that must be 110kgs as the bar is atleast 40 on its own. Olympic bar with two very heafty runners. My even be more. Anyway, I was doubtful at first as I prefer freeweights but this does the trick and really hits the spot.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:27 PM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

Ah, I get what you mean. Sorry, misunderstood. I like this when I train alone.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:44 PM
Kieron

Never been on one and assumed that was what you meant. There is one at the tarts gym I go to every now and again so will have to give it a bash.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:51 PM
CrOwSoN15
Ben

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

I weighed in tonight at 71kg, I can squeeze out 30kg db's on my own, possibly 34's with a spot. 80kg on decline on the smith.

Ben.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:42 AM
krypton
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Not posted in hear in a while done 115kg near the start of the summer but hadn't tried anything heavy since then so thought i would give 100kg a go on monday there and got 4 good reps so was happy with that.

Watched one of the guys in the gym lift 160kg. can only wish at lifting that one day
Old 06-11-2011, 02:37 PM
lukeytheduke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i weight 80kg and i press 40s. None of this pussy smith machine rubbish or even bar... Dumbbells all the way. Not bad for 9months training imo. I would like to be on 50s by july next year but 40s is hard enough right now
Old 31-12-2011, 02:52 PM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

just smashed 55kg dumbells for 8 after a set of 45s for 12. Feeling nice and strong lately. Reckon the 60's are going up next week. They're just a bit big to man handle though
Old 31-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Kieron

Ah, I get what you mean. Sorry, misunderstood. I like this when I train alone.
Originally Posted by Kieron
Never been on one and assumed that was what you meant. There is one at the tarts gym I go to every now and again so will have to give it a bash.
Funnily enough I tried to give this machine a bash this week. Loaded twenties either side and couldn't get into it. lol. The resting position is too far back and I am not flexible enough to fit. I can get in one arm at a time but thats no good when the weights heavy.

just smashed 55kg dumbells for 8 after a set of 45s for 12. Feeling nice and strong lately. Reckon the 60's are going up next week. They're just a bit big to man handle though
Chasing me down mate. December has been a mixed bag for me but I have switched back to BB again. Going to give it a go to see if the DB's have improved my overall strength. Currently just getting used to it again but managed 140 for 8 odd a couple of weeks back and for 7 this week as I was alone and didn't have a spotter so didn't want to push my luck. Done 150 for a few too. Can't remember the reps, 3 or 4. Aiming to push 160 in a few weeks as thats what broke me last time and tore my chest. Need to get past that nemesis!
Old 01-01-2012, 02:31 PM
TRAY_25
Part of the Furniture

i have been back up the gym for about 2 1/2 months now
i weigh 71kg--11.2 stone and I'm 5.7ft

on barbell i managed a good 8 on 100kg a few weeks ago
and done 7-8 on 40kg dumbbells last 1 was helped slightly

so quite happy with it a the min
Old 29-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Redeye Jedi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant believe people use 50/60kg dumbells for chest press!! That is nuts!!

Ive been going to the gym since last March, weighed just over 10 stone before starting, now up to just over 11 and pretty much spot on 6ft tall. Eating loads but struggling to put on more weight, had tried protein (Mutant Mass) for 3/4 months at the start but found it to be counter productive so not tried it since!

For me........

Flat bench (75kg Olympic bench for 6 reps / Smith Machine I can rep 80-85 for the same 6 reps)

Incline (Smith Machine @ 60kg for 6 reps)

Decline (Smith Machine 90-95kg for 6 reps)

I can only muster the 30kg dumbells for chest press, not overly confident with those yet!

For me my shoulders are my strongest point, I can shoulder press 60-65kg and this seems pretty high relative to others in my gym, not many use the 20kg plates for this!

Loving the gym though, need to step it up this year though! I want to press 100kg olympic before the years out!
Old 29-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Kieron

Protein counter productive?? Why's that mate?
Old 29-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Redeye Jedi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Protein counter productive?? Why's that mate?
Counter productive may be a bit wrong but certainly didnt really see any gains from it, had trained for a month or so prior to starting it and in the 2/3 months I was taking it I didnt really see any gains, in particular weight which I was aiming for! Just found myself shitting a ton more for no real benefit! Ive spoken to others who have said similar too!

I think more than anything it was probably incorrect use or maybe not enough but ive seen massive improvements since stopping it in comparison to what I achieved with it!

The person I joined the gym with has been taking it through out and although he is 10kg's heavier than me (probably pretty much the same as prior to joining), he hasnt really progressed any further than me in ability to lift, in fact it now appears I am able to progress faster than him!

I just think for the cost of it, its not really worth it for the gains achieved!
Old 30-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Kieron

I'm not really sure where to start with all that lot mate. It goes against everything we know to be fact protein/training wise.

Your muscles need protein to grow. Full stop. It's what they feed from so without enough (or more than required) they will never increase in size. For you to say that you see better benefits from not taking protein is backwards. There must be other things wrong. From the details above you sound like an ectomorph. Tall & skinny and can eat what you want without getting fat? You need to uptake your dietry intake and carbs to even stand a chance to grow as your body is burning it all off. The body is not designed to be overly muscly. Its a complex system that will filter energy and food off, or away, to survive. Big muscles mean more calory intake required which the body is not set up to handle as it cannot sustain them during periods of fasting. We are animals and our bodies are not built to eat regularly.

Get a heavy weight gainer down your neck instead of protein. It still contains protein but also the carbs to keep your high maintence system going. One shake a day isn't going to cut it. You want protein in every meal, plus shakes. A couple of hundred grams of it per day. Depending on how strong you mix a shake they have around 30g in them. So you need 6+. Or preferably you should get it from foods.

Thats without thinking about training and rest. I know knothing about you so can only assume you are doing it all right.

Mate, you will never grow without the protein. Fact.
Old 30-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Redeye Jedi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I'm not really sure where to start with all that lot mate. It goes against everything we know to be fact protein/training wise.

Your muscles need protein to grow. Full stop. It's what they feed from so without enough (or more than required) they will never increase in size. For you to say that you see better benefits from not taking protein is backwards. There must be other things wrong. From the details above you sound like an ectomorph. Tall & skinny and can eat what you want without getting fat? You need to uptake your dietry intake and carbs to even stand a chance to grow as your body is burning it all off. The body is not designed to be overly muscly. Its a complex system that will filter energy and food off, or away, to survive. Big muscles mean more calory intake required which the body is not set up to handle as it cannot sustain them during periods of fasting. We are animals and our bodies are not built to eat regularly.

Get a heavy weight gainer down your neck instead of protein. It still contains protein but also the carbs to keep your high maintence system going. One shake a day isn't going to cut it. You want protein in every meal, plus shakes. A couple of hundred grams of it per day. Depending on how strong you mix a shake they have around 30g in them. So you need 6+. Or preferably you should get it from foods.

Thats without thinking about training and rest. I know knothing about you so can only assume you are doing it all right.

Mate, you will never grow without the protein. Fact.
I definately hear what you are saying, and I am aware of the need for protein in order to progress. Your assumed description of me is pretty much bang on, in the past ive been able to literally eat anything and gain little or no weight!

I have drastically increased my intake of protein in normal meals, as you say I now incorporate protein into at least 2 of 3 main meals I have throughout the day. The nutrition sides of things is certainly the issue though, but its just changing it that is proving difficult!

In terms of a "heavy gainer" what would you recommend? As I said, I was taking this before.....

http://www.bodybuilding4you.co.uk/pv...8kg-p-353.html

Was taking it 3 times a day, once within 15 mins of waking up, once after training and then another almost straight before bed! I was obviously eating normal meals aswell, but still didnt really see any gain from it!

A friend of mine has been training about 5 years and he suggested trying a different one, saying that it may be specific to that product that just doesnt work for me!

I dont think im consuming anywhere near 200g of protein a day though, breakfast normally consists of 3/4 eggs, either poached/fried/scrambled, lunch is generally a hot meat baguette from the bakery (turkey/beef/pork) with a bit of fruit and a cereal bar of some description, then not alot before training, but then immediately after I will consume as much protein as possible, average evening meal will consist of 2/3 chicken breasts, a steak, more eggs, or a couple of tins of tuna, obviously accompanied with something else, pasta, potatoes, veg, or whatever is on offer.....

I know my diet probably isnt ideal but its improving as the weeks go by, would love to bang a stone or 2 on though! I think thats the only way im gonna get into the bigger numbers on bench press, i.e 100+kg's

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to me though, I have taken everything on board you have mentioned and look forward to more advice!
Old 30-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Kieron

Originally Posted by Redeye Jedi
I definately hear what you are saying, and I am aware of the need for protein in order to progress. Your assumed description of me is pretty much bang on, in the past ive been able to literally eat anything and gain little or no weight!

I have drastically increased my intake of protein in normal meals, as you say I now incorporate protein into at least 2 of 3 main meals I have throughout the day. The nutrition sides of things is certainly the issue though, but its just changing it that is proving difficult!

In terms of a "heavy gainer" what would you recommend? As I said, I was taking this before.....

http://www.bodybuilding4you.co.uk/pv...8kg-p-353.html

Was taking it 3 times a day, once within 15 mins of waking up, once after training and then another almost straight before bed! I was obviously eating normal meals aswell, but still didnt really see any gain from it!

A friend of mine has been training about 5 years and he suggested trying a different one, saying that it may be specific to that product that just doesnt work for me!

I dont think im consuming anywhere near 200g of protein a day though, breakfast normally consists of 3/4 eggs, either poached/fried/scrambled, lunch is generally a hot meat baguette from the bakery (turkey/beef/pork) with a bit of fruit and a cereal bar of some description, then not alot before training, but then immediately after I will consume as much protein as possible, average evening meal will consist of 2/3 chicken breasts, a steak, more eggs, or a couple of tins of tuna, obviously accompanied with something else, pasta, potatoes, veg, or whatever is on offer.....

I know my diet probably isnt ideal but its improving as the weeks go by, would love to bang a stone or 2 on though! I think thats the only way im gonna get into the bigger numbers on bench press, i.e 100+kg's

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to me though, I have taken everything on board you have mentioned and look forward to more advice!
I'm going to be the first to say that I am probably not the best person to be discussing diets & macros etc to as I haven't fallen into it all like some others. Some on here may be better placed to offer you that advice. However I think its fair to say that I am not looking too bad size wise.

The link you have given seems to me that the product is expensive. You are supposed to have 240g per serving!! Thats nigh on 4 times what others are. So only equates to 26 servings a bag. If you were taking 3 a day at the correct doses are you telling me that a bag only lasted you 8/9 days?? I would think that you wern't taking the right amounts and therefore wern't getting little benefit from it. If you was drinking that much in a go then the actual protein content is low for what you consume. For example the Hurricane XS in the following link is rated at 70g per serving (35 per bag @ Ł30) and has more than half the protein content. That mutant mass is all carbs and low on protein.

http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/hurricane_xs

With the current offer on you can get two of the above for the same price as the Mutant Mass. 70 servings compared to 26. No brainer imho when the only thing you are missing out on is carbs. Seems to me like Mutant Mass is all carbs and how it advertises itself as weight gain. OK for gaining weight but not so great for adding muscle.

An egg is about 9g of protein and your roll will contain little. So all your intake is in the evening. You need to eat more. Simple as that.

As for recommending it, I don't have the need for weight gainer so have no experience I'm afraid. Get more oats, rice, pasta & noodles etc into you throughout the day for your carbs and bang in the protein too. Any protein you currently eat is being used and not going to the muscles.
Old 30-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Mk1-stu
Patronus

i don't like this thread ! I was quite pleased with myself this afternoon for doing a full 3 x 10 set at 50kgs on the bench ! considering i've only just got back on the weights after about 2 months off of them (dodgy back and shit working hours didn't help)

currently weigh in at 13st 6lbs and it's not all muscle ! (still just about in a 34" waist jeans though )

I've decided i want to drop some weight, but also gain some definition too
Old 03-02-2012, 07:51 PM
P412KER
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Mk1-stu
i don't like this thread ! I was quite pleased with myself this afternoon for doing a full 3 x 10 set at 50kgs on the bench ! considering i've only just got back on the weights after about 2 months off of them (dodgy back and shit working hours didn't help)

currently weigh in at 13st 6lbs and it's not all muscle ! (still just about in a 34" waist jeans though )

I've decided i want to drop some weight, but also gain some definition too

Just stick at it pal, the weight WILL increase in time just dont rush it for the sake of bragging..
Old 14-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Redeye Jedi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

As for recommending it, I don't have the need for weight gainer so have no experience I'm afraid. Get more oats, rice, pasta & noodles etc into you throughout the day for your carbs and bang in the protein too. Any protein you currently eat is being used and not going to the muscles.
Well in response to your advice I am already making changes, now having oats for breakfast and already noticing the difference, all be it quite a small change but im already gaining on what I was!

For months, infact throughout my training ive struggled to breach 70kg's (varies between 69-70, never more than 70.5kg!) and after just a week of adding oats into my diet im at 72kg! I know its only a small increase but given how long ive battled to get over 70kg this is a HUGE achievement! If I can get a 5% increase in weight in just over a week then with some properly structured protein consumption I should be well on my way!

Definately gonna get some additional protein at the end of the month so hopefully can get to 80kg in the near future!

Thanks for your help Kieron, I know you said you werent the ideal person for advice on nutrition but what you have said is a MASSIVE help!

Cheers!
Old 14-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Kieron

Originally Posted by Redeye Jedi
Well in response to your advice I am already making changes, now having oats for breakfast and already noticing the difference, all be it quite a small change but im already gaining on what I was!

For months, infact throughout my training ive struggled to breach 70kg's (varies between 69-70, never more than 70.5kg!) and after just a week of adding oats into my diet im at 72kg! I know its only a small increase but given how long ive battled to get over 70kg this is a HUGE achievement! If I can get a 5% increase in weight in just over a week then with some properly structured protein consumption I should be well on my way!

Definately gonna get some additional protein at the end of the month so hopefully can get to 80kg in the near future!

Thanks for your help Kieron, I know you said you werent the ideal person for advice on nutrition but what you have said is a MASSIVE help!

Cheers!
It's a pleasure mate. I'm glad its working for you.

Now get more in you!!! including the high doses of protein.
Old 14-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Redeye Jedi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It's a pleasure mate. I'm glad its working for you.

Now get more in you!!! including the high doses of protein.
Definately! If it wasnt for having to spend a ton on birthdays/car stuff this month id have bought some already but only a couple of weeks and I get paid so will have to wait until then!

Well chuffed though, bang on the training this week too!

Will update further as progress is made!
Old 17-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Completed my first 140kg x2 recently.

This was supposed to be a video but moron friend had it in the wrong mode.

Typical days benching is kinda like below, it varies.

60kg x 20 warm up
100kg x 10 touch and go
110kg x 8 touch and go
110kg x 6 touch and go, slowish negatives
110kg x 5 very slow negative, paused and pushed on a command
130kg x 1 very slow negative, paused and pushed on a command and racked on command
130kg x 1 as above
130kg x 1 as above

Every second session if i'm feeling it i'll do a 140kg double any way i can, touch and go, bounced, arse off bench etc... (not gonna progress with weight if you never try it).

Last edited by Coldo; 17-02-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Kieron

Chasing me down mate. December has been a mixed bag for me but I have switched back to BB again. Going to give it a go to see if the DB's have improved my overall strength. Currently just getting used to it again but managed 140 for 8 odd a couple of weeks back and for 7 this week as I was alone and didn't have a spotter so didn't want to push my luck. Done 150 for a few too. Can't remember the reps, 3 or 4. Aiming to push 160 in a few weeks as thats what broke me last time and tore my chest. Need to get past that nemesis!
Finally done it. Had a couple of good weeks training, so skipped the 140's last week in favour of jumping straight in on 150. Managed 4 before being spotted for a few. Felt light tbh so thought fuck it, 160 time. Managed a nice smooth rep, then a second with my spotters fingers on the bar. He claims he didn't do anything but I am not going to claim that rep. Just happy with lifting 1 @ 160 tbh. Plus it felt comfortable, you know, well under control with no shaking and good form!

Happy days. The mind fuck is over.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:53 PM
P412KER
PassionFord Regular

Well done mate, only wish i could get up to 160...
Old 12-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Kieron

Originally Posted by P412KER
Well done mate, only wish i could get up to 160...
Been a very slow path back from the last time. What, 2 years maybe?

Hopefully I can keep on pushing the PB's.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:28 PM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

Very impressive weight that pal! Good going. Im still playing with 55kg dumbells, I've slowed my exercises down a good deal now to feel the full motion and get good contraction and stretches which seems to be having a great effect on building size.