General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Apology to Mark @ MK Motorsport

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 03:52 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts
Default Apology to Mark @ MK Motorsport

So first things first, it is time to be a Man and apologise to Mark at MK . I was 100% convinced when measuring my Cossie to Skyline bellhousing that the input shaft was sticking out way too far and this lead to the housing cracking. I now know this not to be the case by measuring it many times and with a mate here for a second opinion. Many apologies Mark, this was not the case. I will put a link to this apology on my thread and MK (Fiesta thread where the discussion took place)

I now know some of the issues on my Skyline box as we had it out on the bench and worked through it all:

1) I think that I did not spend enough time working out how the bronze bearing should go on the input shaft, I think I should have made sure it nicely fitted the input, Instead I put it in through the flywheel and ASSUMED that the shaft would slip in to it.....it didn't and pushed the bronze bush up to the crank and jammed against the end of the input shaft. This very probably lead to the crack although my housing was re-welded by the previous owner and the end was not refaced so it could also be something to do with that.

2) I had to space my bellhousing away from the block by a few mm due to the input shaft being jammed (which would be turning unsupported) This had a knock on affect of making the centre push sit too far back, it wasn't fully compressed in the "relaxed"position so when the cover plate was spinning it made the bearing rattle around as it didn't have enough pressure on it.
3) My clutch hydraulic had a slight leak, I will fit all new ends to a new slave centre push when it goes on. Now the box is out I will measure up for a Tilton just to be safe.

So now I need a new bush for the input shaft as I had to be pretty brutal getting it out which has knackered it.

MK has kindly agreed to sell me a complete new bellhousing when I get the bits, he could have told me to F Off and I wouldn't have blamed him either.
I will fit it all back up on the current bellhousing unless I can find another R33 bellhousing in time and then source the bits.,

The bods at ETS pro think there is an issue with the wiring on the green block they supply, we are working through that now although I have switched 2wd and full 4wd...it is just the auto and manual split in between to sort.

Sorry Mark
The following 2 users liked this post by Caddyshack:
doga-ot (02-08-2015), st3v3 (03-08-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 04:43 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Caddyshack
So first things first, it is time to be a Man and apologise to Mark at MK . I was 100% convinced when measuring my Cossie to Skyline bellhousing that the input shaft was sticking out way too far and this lead to the housing cracking. I now know this not to be the case by measuring it many times and with a mate here for a second opinion. Many apologies Mark, this was not the case. I will put a link to this apology on my thread and MK (Fiesta thread where the discussion took place)

I now know some of the issues on my Skyline box as we had it out on the bench and worked through it all:

1) I think that I did not spend enough time working out how the bronze bearing should go on the input shaft, I think I should have made sure it nicely fitted the input, Instead I put it in through the flywheel and ASSUMED that the shaft would slip in to it.....it didn't and pushed the bronze bush up to the crank and jammed against the end of the input shaft. This very probably lead to the crack although my housing was re-welded by the previous owner and the end was not refaced so it could also be something to do with that.

2) I had to space my bellhousing away from the block by a few mm due to the input shaft being jammed (which would be turning unsupported) This had a knock on affect of making the centre push sit too far back, it wasn't fully compressed in the "relaxed"position so when the cover plate was spinning it made the bearing rattle around as it didn't have enough pressure on it.
3) My clutch hydraulic had a slight leak, I will fit all new ends to a new slave centre push when it goes on. Now the box is out I will measure up for a Tilton just to be safe.

So now I need a new bush for the input shaft as I had to be pretty brutal getting it out which has knackered it.

MK has kindly agreed to sell me a complete new bellhousing when I get the bits, he could have told me to F Off and I wouldn't have blamed him either.
I will fit it all back up on the current bellhousing unless I can find another R33 bellhousing in time and then source the bits.,

The bods at ETS pro think there is an issue with the wiring on the green block they supply, we are working through that now although I have switched 2wd and full 4wd...it is just the auto and manual split in between to sort.

Sorry Mark

If you are wrong always pays to man-up & apologise. Im sure Mark will be OK ive not always agreed with him but think hes a great machinist & would not knowingly stitch up anyone.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:57 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Thanks Rod, I know he wouldn't ever do anyone any wrong. I have the MK diff cover, MK Supra diff kit and he supplied my diff direct to Bara for rebuild. I have had other bits and pieces too from him and his work is spot on. My bellhousing came 2nd hand so there are a few unknowns due to it being welded on top by someone else before it came to me.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:00 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

Mark is a top man , and his work is top notch.
Marks also not the type of fella to hold a grudge so iam sure he will say thanks but there was no need for the thread

Cheers paul
The following users liked this post:
Caddyshack (01-08-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 06:11 PM
MK MOTORSPORT
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

hi toby
thanks for saying this you could have just kept quite ,but we all make mistakes
its how we deal with them and you have been a gentleman about it
thankyou ,i did say it could have been the bush this is why i mentioned grinding input shaft the same as the cossy ,as all bushes as i said should be pressed then reamed in situ

thanks mark
st3v3 (03-08-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 06:16 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Thanks Mark. I needed to put the record straight.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:18 PM
Rsmat
300+

Received 583 Likes on 516 Posts

Top lad is mark ..I'll back in the game very soon ..With new ideas for him ...so standby mark mate .
Old 01-08-2015, 06:26 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Rsmat
Top lad is mark ..I'll back in the game very soon ..With new ideas for him ...so standby mark mate .
Blimey, where have you been?
Old 02-08-2015, 08:04 AM
stu21t
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Why didn't the shaft fit? Was the hole in the bush too small?

I've got a bush in my setup too because the gearbox shaft is a bit too short in my case.
The guy who made my bush drilled and tapped a hole through the middle of the bush so you can just wind a bolt through and when the bolt hits the crank it will push the bush out.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:24 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by stu21t
Why didn't the shaft fit? Was the hole in the bush too small?

I've got a bush in my setup too because the gearbox shaft is a bit too short in my case.
The guy who made my bush drilled and tapped a hole through the middle of the bush so you can just wind a bolt through and when the bolt hits the crank it will push the bush out.
That's a good idea!

I think the bush or the leading edge of the input needs a little radius to help get it on....I didn't check it fitted normally thinking it was soft and would just pop on....lesson learned! I am going to spec a tilton clutch release now to improve the clutch too.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:33 PM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

On a YB crank I have, the nose of the gearbox shaft was bigger and too short to reach the crank so I had a little adapter made, the original crank bearing was removed and the adapter pressed into it and at the other end was a recess that allowed a larger bearing to fit and mate upto the gearbox shaft, prefer a bearing to a bush to be honest, bit more play/tolerance etc

Could be an option for you guys.
Caddyshack (02-08-2015)
Old 02-08-2015, 05:39 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Well done for apologising.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:49 PM
stu21t
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Mines exactly the same Paul, I have a needle roller bearing in mine.

Last edited by stu21t; 02-08-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:41 AM
Rsmat
300+

Just took me 2 years to get out of a very rough divorce.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:59 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Rsmat
Just took me 2 years to get out of a very rough divorce.
Sorry to hear that...onwards and upwards now.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:50 AM
Rsmat
300+

Nah its fine mate ..just been awarded our joint account which was mine anyway ..just final divorce paper and 19k released December 31st. .been on my arse for 2 years ..women eh .