Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

My new project... Project front door...big update 24th nov. downstairs nearly done!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 10:35 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Fudgey
mark, i feel pretty fucked at the mo tbh! been doing early till 10-11pm for about a week now, and now back at work after xmas is not good lol

the missus keeps telling me to just go to bed, but i cant stop at 10pm like tonight, have a shower and just go to bed! i need to unwind a bit but will be off very soon!

I know what you mean, you just get in a zone of wanting it to be done, and when you start its hard to stop until your actually dropping off your feet.

I would put up pictures of mine, all studded now, roof insulation layers are in, wirings all in and working, flooring all done, but the usual PF critisiers will only do their best to tell you how it should be done lol.

You do feel proud when it's done, plus you are saving a bucket load of money.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:39 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

Get some pics up mate, you cant please everyone lol

your right about getting done tho, i just want a bit more normality back, so trying to get the bedrooms sorted, but then there is no electrics in the new part, so that wont be done till all of it is plastered
Old 08-01-2013, 08:23 AM
CraigoScott
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

getting there now pal, keep it up! the plasterer will make a MASSIVE difference, always feels like its getting there when you get pink walls
Old 08-01-2013, 10:05 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Yeah i guess it will more like a propper room then!!

cant wait!
Old 19-01-2013, 04:45 AM
Chrissy_bwoy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had a flick through. Top stuff mate! Keep at it!

Hope the plastering went well this week.
Old 19-01-2013, 10:23 AM
ram
Has a large member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

looks really good so far
Old 19-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Ram - cheers mate, appreciate the comment!!

Chris, weds I got a text saying his van wouldn't start and it had got very cold overnight but you never know... And he was supposed to come yesterday but it snowed heavily and even I was sent home form work at 10am, so fair enough he couldn't make it..

He said he will have upstairs done by weds tho, but more snow due tues so we will see.

I have started on the insulation in the rear ext, and tried to get more done yesterday but it was cold I couldn't feel my hands after 2 hours! Got over half of it done now tho.... Fooling weather, if its not rain it's snow
Old 25-02-2013, 08:13 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Looks like its been a little while since my last update lol.. Its changed a bit upstairs now

The plasterer has come and gone for upstairs so we have concentrated on trying to get that done.. So after couple of weeks of letting it dry, the wife and kids were quite ill with various virus/ bugs but luckily i managed not to go down with anything.. So with everyone tucked up in bed i set about applying the first coat of paint. 50:50 water to matt white... What a fucking mess lol. I started at 7:30pm and had done the whole lot by 1:30am and was quite fucked lol

So the following day i stated about 6pm and finished at 11:30 with the second coat, a 25:75 water to paint mix....

Then over the next couple of night i applied a third coat neat matt white to the ceilings.
Our friends popped over the following sat for a bag of chips and then started to apply the firs coats of colour.... Its a long process but we got there!!!

Its now all painted upstairs and the bathroom and ensuite furniture have been delivered, but not yet fitted.

This weekend just gone i bought some skirting and architrave. Most of it has been cut and ive glossed it, but still needs a day before i can start to fit as its still a bit tacky.
Yesterday i also laid the temp carpet down and put our bed frame back up and stuck the mattress on....

Fuck me i ave never been so cold lol. The littleun woke up so wife got into her bed for the night... Lol

So today i ordered couple of rads and should have them fitted by thursday.

So thats where were at now.. Still a lot o do downstairs, but one thing at a time lol

pics are a bit crap as i cant get the whole rooms in lol and they are after the first coat, just realised ive not taken any of them coloured!!

ensuite

hallway

bathroom

spare room where we are now sleeping

Last edited by Fudgey; 25-02-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 25-02-2013, 08:27 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

and your skint, you forgot that bit lol
Old 25-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

fucking right how did you know???

well, we still have enough left at the mo to pay for the electrician to finish the whole job, and the plasterer to finish his bit... then were cunted lol

i spent Ł250 at the weekend on some packs of skirting board and archatrave, and 2 other bits of wood....still not got anough skirting to do all of it, and thats only upstairs lol.
Old 26-02-2013, 11:53 AM
CraigoScott

getting there now pal,

what are you doing with the reveals, head and cill to the window? why havent they been boarded?

keep the updates coming
Old 26-02-2013, 12:31 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

gonna do them like in the other rooms with dormers, ive got a upvc architrave from eurocell, like this
http://store.eurocell.co.uk/window-f...k64-x-5-metres

will use a strip around inner edges and but up to them on the wall with another strip. thats how the other windows are done anyway.

the plasterer did question the windows tbh!! my answer was, cos that how the carp done them
Old 05-03-2013, 07:40 PM
CraigoScott

hmm interesting technique, not would i would go for but should look ok!
Old 05-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

What would you do then bud? Im open to suggestion lol.

Got most of the rear ceiling boarded at the weekend, just need to move some stuff around so we can get the ladder in to finish it lol. Should be done this weekend!

Ten plasterer can come back and do his shiz
Old 05-03-2013, 08:28 PM
LIMITLESS
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Bloody hell Dan, Just read this from start till now. Amazing effort

Lawrie
Old 05-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Cheers lawrie!

It has been one tremendous effort, and sometimes quite disheartening, like when the rain was pissing in for a few weeks, its fucked a few ceilings that were fine, so that pissed me off a bit. A few weeks back i was ready to give up but dad and the missus etc told to step back and look at what we have acheived so far, from a lot of it being done myself/with mates and the old man and my uncle lol. Its taking a bit longer than id liked but hey ho... Also ran out of money now lol..

Still, just gotta keep chipping away at it....
Old 06-03-2013, 07:26 PM
CraigoScott

i would of returned the plasterboard into the window around the reveals and head, and would of put a thin wooden cill on the bottom, looks much cleaner to me that way, but you cant really do that now as you have already skimmed and with the reveals and head they would need to put a bead on.

I am sure it will still look good pal so keep it up
Old 06-03-2013, 09:13 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

ah, bugger..

bit late now then

to be fair the plasterer did question it as he said hed never seen it done like this before.

my fault tho, as i showed him the other bedrooms and how they were done, so thought thats how it should of been done.

its a royal pain in the ass trying to cut the trim bits ive bought

at least i know for next time lol
Old 06-03-2013, 09:24 PM
JFB Tech
Not entirely sane

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice build thread, top work. Don't want to be picky but I know you're up for constructive criticism, The sink position on your kitchen plan doesn't have anywhere to put the dirty dishes. Ideally you want some worktop on the sink side of the unit for the dirty dishes. I had a kitchen once with no worktop by the sink, it was a right pain traipsing round the kitchen to get the dirties as you washed up. It would work if you used a right hand drainer instead of a left.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

i see what your saying mate, but we cant have a right hand drainer as you wont be able to stand in front of the sink bowl then.

putting the kitchen in the new part was unfortunatly, and afterthought as we were going to keep the kitchen where it is currently, well where the achitect drawn it.

the part where the kitchen is going now was going to be the utility room, as if we had planned the kitchen there from the start then we wouldnt have had a door put in, just a bigger window and the worktop would have gone all the way accross to the breakfast bar.

but its done now, ive run out of money and ive paid for the door... lol so if in the future we decide to extend the worktop accross and loose the door etc, its something we can do i guess.

but thats for the input!! constuctive critism is good tho, as im learning a lot as i go!
Old 08-03-2013, 01:21 PM
CraigoScott

simple solution just get a dishwasher and put everything in there?
Old 08-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

The built in dishwasher is just to the left between sink and hob lol
Old 08-03-2013, 08:33 PM
P4ULT

Fudgey if you had the chance to do it again, would you get someone to do all the work? Or would you still do as much as you could?
Old 08-03-2013, 09:10 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

I went out to dinner last weekend with the guy who done the brickwork, and he asked the same question.

My answer was yes, but id start from scratch and build the whole house lol

Yeah i think i would mate, it is quite rewarding knowing you have done a lot yourself, and if i were to do it again i know what not to do lol.

Aside from that tho, its the cost of paying others. Ok i didnt do the brickwork or the woodwork, but id be more inclined to do the woodwork next time!

As i said in a previous post, the best quote we had was 55k and all i would have to do was paint it and furnish it.

To date its cost 48k, and i still have about 2k to pay for the electrician and plasterer to finish their bits. So thats 50k, and we still need to paint, fit skirting and floorings etc.

We have 5k for the kitchen, minus appliances but i work for bosch so can get some good discounts on neff stuff, but thats still another 2kish

To finish upstairs i need 4 internal doors a bit more skirting and tiles for the bathrooms and all flooring. Bought a bathroom and ensuite already tho, not fitted yet.

So total build and furnishing costs, i reckon will be about 65k

Not a chance would matey have been able to do it for 55k!

In that 65k tho, is all the planning and council fees, architect etc - everything.

I think next time, id also have a better idea at planning it for room layout etc as the architect we went with had no inspiration!

If we can get the downstairs plastered and electrics hooked up by may id be happy i think, that would be a year then since we started. Of course the only thing with diy'ing it, is it takes a hell of a lot longer!

Last edited by Fudgey; 08-03-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:43 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Received 424 Likes on 399 Posts

your nearly their mate ,i know how you feel about architects and your right in saying most of themn lack inspiration when it comes to layouts and just cram in rooms the easiest way they can and then take your cash lol

it s always the small bits going to the building providers for bits and pieces where the money just gets eaten up ,100 quid here and their and next thing your a grand down .i know how that feels .

in your situation living in the house is never ideal,and i will applaud anyone who puts up with the dirt and dust etc as its a nightmare .it is so much easier building from scratch .

well done dan ,top job
Old 08-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Cheers james, it has been tough trying to live here, especialy with 2 young kids lol.

Like you say tho, the end is not toooo far lol.

We havnt cut through yet, not looking forward to that one tbh! And its still quite cold atm so trying to put it off lol.

But it needs to be done for the plasterer to finish....

Things like paint, skirting, architrave etc i hadnt accounted for, spend Ł200 on paint just for upstairs, i spent Ł100 on architrave and Ł100 on skirting the the other week, and thats still not enough to do upstairs lol. Also the internal doors are Ł20 odd each from b&q, need 4 lol...

As you say, it soon adds up!

Luckily i have use of a b&q trade card, and the electrician, plumber and plasterer all play football with a lad from my local travis perkins, so they got him to do me the best prices he could. Popped in on the way home to enquire about the fence i need to replace, thats about Ł350 plus the concrete for the posts

Last edited by Fudgey; 08-03-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:52 PM
P4ULT

Thanks for the reply Fudgey,

The reason I ask is we have had an offer accepted on a bungalow but it will need a loft conversion, 2 dormers. Unsure whether to get the complete job done or just a water tight shell. I'm a plumber by trade so I will do that bit at least.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:59 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Received 424 Likes on 399 Posts

if at all possible dan leave the cut through till the very very last thing to do if possible
Old 09-03-2013, 09:08 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

We will mate, dont worry about that lol.

Although i may take the big glass patio door out and stick up a simple stud and then 2 sheets of plaster board to cover the hole. Its quite dark in her anyway, so a few weeks like that shouldnt be an issue lol

Paul, no worries mate. If your quite handy then all it takes is a bit of thought and time really.

I have never done anything like this before, but the internet is a god send, and there are plenty of people to ask for advice.
Even things like fitting the epdm, i thought id give it a go... Ok its not the best job in thenworld on thembig roof, but i had 2 mates helping and they jumped the gun, so had we followed the fitting process tomthe lettter im sure there would be no creases...

I get the piss taken at work, as they seem to say my motto is "it cant be that hard" as with everything i do, they always say id pay someone to do that..! I say, cant be that hard lol....

Things like the plumbing tho, the guy ive been using is mates with the electrician and plasterer, and he is very reasonable. I could do it myself, but what has taken him an afternoon would probably take me 2 days messing about getting the correct fittings etc.

Id say go for it, but make sure you tell the architect exactly what you want!
Old 09-03-2013, 09:24 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Can't be that hard lol . its not really

Last edited by markk; 09-03-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

I still wont build a wall if i want it to look good lol, but most other stuff ill have a go at!
Old 24-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

well, its been a little while since my last update lol, but i have been verrrry busy!!

plasterer noticed the bags of plaster nad dab had a use by date of the 22nd of march... and i had Ł300 worth of skim and skrim that i wasnt going to throw away.... so it got a bit hectic lol.

upstairs got painted then i had to leave it and concentrate on getting downstairs done!

so, first off had to open up the house so the walls could be dabbed/head done..

boschammer 1 - house 0

but cos it was still fooooking cold had to block them back up with some board, and built the stud wall for the kitchen end, but still had to leave a hole as the drain for the existing sink is still use, and so i can still get in and out etc...

the hole is the size of one sheet of plasterboard, so will be easy to close up when the time comes.

insulated

then had to find somewhere to put all this shit

as the plasterer came back and dabbed the walls

and then

left it about 2 weeks and just over a week ago started to paint, mist coat done with an electric spray gun. worked well but the paint needed to be quite thin, and the hopper was only 600ml so had to keep refilling often. still didnt take too long to do the whole room! mad a right fucking mess tho, i was covered, the floor was covered, everything was covered!!!

so i wouldnt use it in the house as its not worth the time taken to mask everything off! so i didnt bother in the extension lol

oh, before painting i decided to seal the floor with PVA.... well, what i thought was PVA anyway lol... i had a shit load of glue left over from doing the EPDM on the roof, so i unleashed a can mixed with water on the floor! done half of it and the stink started to gie me headache, so i had to open all the doors lol.
it stayed sticky for 3 days after lol...

second coat

colour!!

so that lot took me to last thursday, when i get a call from howdens saiying that if i ordered the kitchen and had it delivered they would knock off Ł522 as they want it out the warehouse... and if i ordered the flooring too they would knock off Ł100 off that....

so last thursday evening a guy from howdens came with a sample of the floor, a door and a sample of the worktop...

the missus said.... 'i dont like it'

so after telling her it will be fine and look ok once its all in...

so id save over Ł600 if i could have it delivered last friday.... hmmm... i was going to order it the saturday anyway lol!! so of course i said yes, bring it!
it was a bit before id liked as the spark wasnt due till last night, so i managed to get the plumber out yesterday too to put the pipework in place for the new kitchen, and i also ordered the appliances on tuesday too... so that was almost Ł8500 spent since last friday

anyway, as promised this little lot turned up at 2pm friday!!

so, last sat i ended up helping my mate fit the last few of his windows to his house, he has been helping me a lot on ours, so its only fair to return the favour....
sunday tho, we started on the wall units...

only temp fitted as the corner and unit to the left of that are damaged slightly so they will be going back!

my mate left but i carried on, so i could get a bit of floor down to show the missus its all going to look ok lol!!

and thats where i was at sunday evening!!

there are another 2 tower to go on the left, but i cant lift them on my own lol but you get the idea.

i have now moved all the base units out the way, the spark was back last night and fitted all the socket fronts and we also fitted the downlights. so its looking bit more like it now!!
plumber was also in yesterday so now the units can all go back in this weekend for good!

spark is back tomoz night to fit sockets and lights etc in the utility and garage, then hopefully thats him done until he comes back to wire up the new consumer unit, and power us up!!!

Last edited by Fudgey; 24-04-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 24-04-2013, 08:40 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

edit: photobucket working again now

Last edited by Fudgey; 24-04-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 25-04-2013, 07:38 PM
Chrissy_bwoy
Advanced PassionFord User

Nice one Dan. Light at the end of the tunnel!
Old 26-04-2013, 07:31 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Its slowly getting there mate.

starting to borrow cash i have to pay back now hopefully only need another 5k to finish
Old 26-04-2013, 10:11 AM
natehall

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Just been through the whole thread!

Wow is all I will say!
Old 26-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

cheers bud, thinking about it, i think we started tearing down the garage this weekend last year.

so that is pretty much a years a worth of changes lol
Old 26-04-2013, 03:21 PM
CraigoScott

looking good mate, keep up the hard work
Old 26-04-2013, 08:10 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

cheers mate, hoping to have a good weekend on it
Old 10-06-2013, 07:56 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

been a bit slack with the old updates again lol

so where were at now:

been doing this for just over a year now and its changed quite dramatically, so here a couple of before and after pics of the outside

before

Name:  IMG_1544-1.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  71.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1545-1.jpg
Size:  126.4 KB

after

Name:  IMG_0533_zpsa800d08d.jpg
Size:  34.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0534_zpsf47975bb.jpg
Size:  69.5 KB

and as per my last post i had started fitting the kitchen, but before i could finish i had to block off the wall between the utility and where the kitchen now is and have it skimmed... but before i could do that i had to move this little lot, ok 1300 paving blocks from the back to the front of the house as we have no rear access (didnt before either)

so, moved from here:

Name:  IMG_0535_zps1737409f.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  83.6 KB

to here:

Name:  IMG_0537_zps11b4f08b.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  96.1 KB

i was foooked after doing that!

Quick Reply: My new project... Project front door...big update 24th nov. downstairs nearly done!