Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

My new project... Project front door...big update 24th nov. downstairs nearly done!

Search this Thread

Old 26-11-2012, 11:49 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

i do wonder if builders deliberately leave loads off the qoute like that just to get the business knowing that once they have done the messy bits its hard for clients to fuck them off when the extra bills come in.
Old 27-11-2012, 07:46 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

well, if that had happened to us we would have been fucked, as our budget is now little more than zero!!
Old 04-12-2012, 08:20 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

had a guy from howdens rounds, wifes friends husband so got bit of a discount on it...

hes done a few kitchens for grand designs etc and has been doing it a long time.
anyway, the plan was to keep the kitchen where it is and just make it slightly bigger, but as soon as he looked out intot he new bit his enthusiasm got the better of us, and we are now moving the kitchen lol

had a quote back today, after discounts ets the units and worktops come in at just over 5k, and the appliances are about Ł1500 for their lamona range, but i have not heard of them before so dont know who good etc they are? for double oven, built in fridge freezer 70/30 split, built in diswasher and hob.

anyway, here are the pics, the wife wanted a breakfast bar etc and there will be a dining table in the middle room.
what do you reckon? pretty pleased overall with it, infact i love it! changed a few bits like the wine rack up high will go, and the unit on the end of the bar with the tray/chopping board in will be diff.

i have already had the electrician put a plug socket halfway up the wall ready for the big telly

and a couple more pics of the house in daylight with the garage door shut!

Old 04-12-2012, 08:28 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

oh still to fit are the new windows to replace the existing stuff, so the upper window witht he blue blind behind it, the lower big lounge window and smaller hall window, new composite front door might be here tomoz and also got new porch door. and rear bedroom window.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:31 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

how big is the room ?
Old 04-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

if you look at the plan view, its about 4M x 10M

so kitchen area is 4M out, 3Mish accross

Last edited by Fudgey; 04-12-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:06 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Shop around on the kitchen, we did, and with B+Q trade point on a Cooke and Lewis I paid Ł8K and just to put it into perspective if you count up all the cupboard and drawer handles we have 42 (only 3 drawers) and the kitchen is fitted to an area of approx 5m x 6m iirc.
Our kitchen has a 900w x 2m breakfast bar and an 2m x 1.2m island.
I had quotes from all the trade kitchen outlets, all promising to match the previous price, yet each time B+Q just bettered it every time. started at a retail price of Ł17k, which was nice if you can make that sort of profit lol, then a trade price of Ł12k, down to 8K, that included a 70/30 fridge freezer, 5 burner wide hob, extra wide extractor, double drainer ceramic white sink, fancy springy tap with shower burst, full size dishwasher, built in electric over, microwave/grill.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:27 PM
rsnissan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great progress so far mate
Old 04-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

sounds good mark!

i have looked into the B&Q range as i have use of a trade card etc, and there is not much in it, with howdens we are getting som big discounts, upto 85% on some stuff!

i think there are 29 handles all in, and 6 drawers. plus the howden carcases come pre built, glued and dowled. our friends have a b&q kitchen which is nice tho
Old 04-12-2012, 09:39 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Originally Posted by rsnissan
Great progress so far mate
cheers mate.

plaster is coming round on thurs to have a look/get us a quote...

im not looking forward to that
Old 04-12-2012, 09:47 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Fudgey
sounds good mark!

i have looked into the B&Q range as i have use of a trade card etc, and there is not much in it, with howdens we are getting som big discounts, upto 85% on some stuff!

i think there are 29 handles all in, and 6 drawers. plus the howden carcases come pre built, glued and dowled. our friends have a b&q kitchen which is nice tho

I saw a sign the other day in BnQ saying there carcasses come pre built now too.
I have my list here, all 22 pages of it, and some discounts up to 99% lol

For some reason, they just wanted the sale so much. Worth a mention, when you get to the stage your at, cost becomes number one priority as most of the cash will have run out lol - been there.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Psycho Warren
i do wonder if builders deliberately leave loads off the qoute like that just to get the business knowing that once they have done the messy bits its hard for clients to fuck them off when the extra bills come in.
Not all! Our quotes are always spot on unless you want extra work doing or things crop up!

Deffo shop around for the kitchen mate. We used to use Howdens but dont bother now. Theyre all 'make it fit' kitchens rather than made to measure. IE, filler pieces everywhere! Cant beat a kitchen being fitted properly without fillers!

Last edited by Lee Reynolds; 04-12-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:04 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Cheers Lee, the design that he done was actually off the original house plans, but the actual size of the extension is slightly bigger than whats on paper.

ive just been comparing prices with the cook and lewis range at B&Q and there really is not much in it, some stuff is cheaper from howdens, and some is not but its not a massive difference tbh.

i work for Bosch now and can get good prices on all appliances etc, but the bosch/siemens/neff stuff i can get is all a bit more expensive than the lamona stuff, but i have never seen the lamona stuff to compare it to. id say the branded stuff i can get is about Ł500 or so more... but you get what you pay for...

i will keep looking tho, but the kitchen purchase is a little way off yet, i need to get the rooms done first lol
Old 06-12-2012, 11:50 AM
furry
DECODING JIBBA JABBA!!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

cheers mate.

plaster is coming round on thurs to have a look/get us a quote...

im not looking forward to that
I know a VERY good plasterer based in Marlbourgh who's prices are very reasonable if you want his details?
Old 06-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Hi Steve the guy coming round later is a friend of the electricians, should charge around Ł120-130 a day and his bro owns a drylining company so might be able to get us a big discount on the boards as he buys 1000's at a time.

it is a massive job and probably 2 weeks worth of work. ill let you know what this guy says and if anyone thinks its reasonable.

cheers bud
Old 10-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Just ordered Ł955.20 worth of kingspan insulation board fromt he website mark posted above.

next cheapest i could get it for was celotex... at Ł2773!

small saving there
Old 10-12-2012, 04:48 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Just ordered Ł955.20 worth of kingspan insulation board fromt he website mark posted above.

next cheapest i could get it for was celotex... at Ł2773!

small saving there

So my cheque is in the post then
Old 10-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

yeah it is mate! but wont be fore much lol, just booked the plasterer to do the job...

Ł3200 for him

thats Ł1500 materials, and Ł1700 labour all inc vat. he says about 12 days of work @Ł120 a day + vat.

its a bit more than i thought it was going to be, but he is shit hot apparently.

and yes, i probably could have got it done cheaper, but he can start in a week lol.

if ive got the insulation in
Old 10-12-2012, 08:44 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

yeah it is mate! but wont be fore much lol, just booked the plasterer to do the job...

Ł3200 for him

thats Ł1500 materials, and Ł1700 labour all inc vat. he says about 12 days of work @Ł120 a day + vat.

its a bit more than i thought it was going to be, but he is shit hot apparently.

and yes, i probably could have got it done cheaper, but he can start in a week lol.

if ive got the insulation in
Bloody hell pal, I would be looking else where, there are plenty of people out there, ok you do need to get a good one for finished plastering but serously Ł120 PLUS VAT - i dont think so.

My plasterer has done every house I have owned,this house, he has plastered 6 ceilings, over 6 rooms, in a detached bungalow, the kitchen alone is approx 5.5meters x 8meters, took two of them to do the ceiling due to the size and how fast the plaster goes off to keep it smooth in time.
It took him no more than 8 days to do the whole lot.

Have you boarded it first or is it straight onto the brickwork?

Plaster is not expensive, iirc I reckon i spent defo no more than Ł500 on board finish.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

hes going to dot and dab the walls, the ceiling in the rear ext is 4x10m so 40m2 and will take 2 of them, i was going to - with help board the ceilings and stud walls before hand.

so he will have 1 big ceiling and 3 3x6m ceilings, rear ext walls, 2 bedrooms, bathroom and ensuite.... i dont know if he has included doing the garage walls actually.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:07 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

hes going to dot and dab the walls, the ceiling in the rear ext is 4x10m so 40m2 and will take 2 of them, i was going to - with help board the ceilings and stud walls before hand.

so he will have 1 big ceiling and 3 3x6m ceilings, rear ext walls, 2 bedrooms, bathroom and ensuite.... i dont know if he has included doing the garage walls actually.

Ah so hes not just plastering it, thats a bit more palatable, I boarded all my house so I know what sort of a job it is, nothinghard, just time consuming, though I was doing mine after work and during the weekend, made a great stilt to hold 8x4 sheets of 12.5mm board up to the ceiling on my own - 25 kg board horizontally above my head, only lost one of 38 boards lol
Old 10-12-2012, 09:09 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Just out of interest, my ceiling is 44sqm, and it took two of them 5 hours to plaster it.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:15 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

yeah, he sould earn his money i think lol
i could dot and dab if i tried it i expect, but its on of those things where if you fuck it up and get it a bit out etc, your work tops wont fit square and itll look shit.

so nailing it on to the studs (well, screw) and joists etc should be painfree hopefully! i have 2 accro props and a couple of mates to help lol

hes ordering 170 boards, so there is a lot of work involved. the guy that done the brickwork can plaster and had offered to do it, but hes a builder by day and as you said, would be evenings and weekends so will take time to get done, this way matey can just come in and bang it up. we just want it done now asap - getting fed up of sleeping on a matress on the floor and having nowhere to put stuff...

for instance i had to go into the loft earlier to retrive the xmas decorations as she wouldnt just leave the tree bare like i suggested... cunting stuff was at the back of the very packed loft wasnt it!
Old 10-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Originally Posted by markk
Just out of interest, my ceiling is 44sqm, and it took two of them 5 hours to plaster it.
i bet they didnt do a lot else that day then!!
Old 10-12-2012, 09:39 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Thats a lot of board, Im sure I didnt use that many, maybe 120 or so yes, (this is just the down stairs, Ive not even touched the upstairs walls or ceilings yet ) thats Ł680 for the boards, if you follow the correct procedure for dot/dab on the recommendations you would almost need a bag of adhesive per board lol

I reckon I got 4-5 boards per bagish depending on how much re-alignment I had to do, about Ł170 of adhesive, Ł40 of skrim tape, couple of boxes of screw Ł20.

It all mounts up pal.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

yeah i dont think his price is too bad tbh, yes its a lot, but there is a lot of work there.

hes not marking up the materials as its the sparks mate, who is our friend. so i dont think im being done
Old 22-12-2012, 08:06 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

well, its been a busy week!

last friday seen the delivery of a fuck load of plaster board, 40 bags of skim and 33 bags of skrim.. and of course it was pissing down when it was delivered so i moved all the bags inside on my own... but had to leave the boards as i had to go to work... they are covered tho and still outside.

friday afternoon i left work early to go and get the father in laws pickup, then to travis perkins to buy some floor boards and more wood to finish off the stud walls.

again, it was absolutly cunting it down and i had tried to cover the chipboard, but ended up just getting it in the garage, tried to get a few up on the rafters in the garage and fell through the fucking things again and bashed my leg, again

got 3 floor boards up and gave up till my mate came round to lend a hand.

so saturday a few of us got the floor laid in the spare bedroom and the bathroom and all the pipes lagged, then we got 20 of the foil boards up to the first floor for the ceilings.

sunday i finished off the stud walls and done a few other little bits, and the monday all the insulation turned up...

in the pissing rain! fucking cunting rain will be the death of me!

i so pretty much moved all the insualtion into the garage on my own while the drive moved it a bit so i could get it off the truck, all of it was soaking wet, as its obviously kept outside, and i dropped pretty much every pack as i just couldnt grip it, or the packaging tore

and then went to work, and 5pm started to fit the insualtion - fucking shite stuff that is!

i took tues and weds off to bang in the insualtion but it is taking me sooo long, as i bought half thickness sheets to make it easier to fit, but of course i have to cut it all out twice and its very time consuming! weds my dad made a surprise appearance and we got on with getting some platerboard up on the ceilings in the spare bedroom and bathroom and hall, i finised that bit off after he had gone.

so for the rest of the week ive been doing the insuation and spent all day up there today and its now all done as much as i can in the walls, and nearly all the ceilings are insualted!! thank fucking fuck! (still got the main flat roof downstairs to do tho! )

i cant do all the walls 100% yet as need to sort some plumbing out, so once thats done it can be finished, but the plumber is off till after xmas now, so if i get everything else done ill have a look at doing that myself.

so, some pics!

garage full of insualtion!

a shit load of plasterboard!

bedroom floor down

insulation in the spare room

ceiling boarded

bathroom ceiling boarded

hallway studs insulated - this is mainly for sound deadening, not warmth lol

and how far i got today with the main bedroom insualtion

and thats it for now lol. father in law is coming over tomoz to help, so should get a fair bit more done!
Old 07-01-2013, 09:11 AM
CraigoScott
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

any more updates fudgey?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Yeah, been flat out on it these last 2 weeks since the insulation and plasterboard have been delivered.

pretty much finished boarding what i can upstairs now, and just got a bit more floor to put down in the new bedroom over the garage and thats the upstairs done!!

im fucked, been on it every day except xmas day, boxing day and the day after that - till about 10pm every night. had a good weekend this weekend, dad and my uncle came over sat and had a mate help yesterday as the plasterer is starting tomoz so it was a big mission to get everything ready, and hopefully after tonight it will be!

then ill have downstairs to do

ill stick some pics up tomoz hopefully as i wont get chance later as ill be back on it.

but thanks for asking!!
Old 07-01-2013, 10:48 AM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Top work Dan, will be bloody satisfying when you're putting the last bits of furniture in and you've got the beers out.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:17 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

I certainly fucking hope so!
Old 07-01-2013, 02:51 PM
toff

Ave been working with a joiner for the last 6 months doing a full house conversion.
We had to double board the ceilings with pink gyproc for fire regs.

It may have been just down stairs

Last edited by toff; 07-01-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:40 PM
rstom95
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

great build mate looks mint
Old 07-01-2013, 06:45 PM
sierra1off
Part of the Furniture

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To make the most of the insulation make sure you fill ALL gaps with expanding foam or mastic especially around window and door frames on the inside and lap the insulation onto the window frames as far as possible

What you have achieved is great but the feeling when the wife or kids tell their friends that you built 'all this' is best
Old 07-01-2013, 06:48 PM
ben_frst

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

170 boards? either hes over ordered or very under priced that works out at 425m2 accounting for .28m2 waste per board

Last edited by ben_frst; 07-01-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:53 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

cheers lads, upstairs = done!!!

toff, i have pink 'fireboard' for the garage ceiling, all other ceilings are foil backed and the walls are the normal stuff.

tom, cheers mate, really appreciate it!

sierra1off, the foam gun has been used lol

ben, yeah i think he has over ordered a lot too, had a fair bit of waste from doing the upstairs, but downstairs is more straight forward - hopefully

ok, some pics, not the greatest as it was fooking dusty as i had just swept again, and dark lol

so, you can see where the old roof line was, to make use of the space above the stairs i made a little shelf, not massive but would have looked odd and been too high if i went any bigger

frame made

boarded

doesnt look square but it is you measure it lol

what was our bedroom is now the spare

same again in the room, you can see where the roof was, to the right is the airing cupboard, so i made use of the space here with a wardrobe/cupboard... and made a little shelf behind the board lol

hallway - the door at the end was our bedroom door, soon to opened up

the new bed room, didnt get a pic looking the other way tho!

and the ensuite, cant see a lot as i couldnt move back enough lol

plaster starts upstairs tomorrow!!!

just got downstairs to do now
Old 07-01-2013, 10:11 PM
H3lsing
ffoc.co.uk

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

Looking good now lots of progress, looks like anne franks new digs at the mo lol. Onto the plasterring next then?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:14 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Looking good pal, all more enjoyable knowing you have done it yourself, as knackered as you get.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

lol, yes plasterer starts tomorrow!!

still got a shit load to do downstairs now....
Old 07-01-2013, 10:16 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

mark, i feel pretty fucked at the mo tbh! been doing early till 10-11pm for about a week now, and now back at work after xmas is not good lol

the missus keeps telling me to just go to bed, but i cant stop at 10pm like tonight, have a shower and just go to bed! i need to unwind a bit but will be off very soon!

Quick Reply: My new project... Project front door...big update 24th nov. downstairs nearly done!