Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

My new project... Project front door...big update 24th nov. downstairs nearly done!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 11:22 PM
Chrissy_bwoy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 04-10-2012, 02:26 AM
Andy_R
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great thread Dan, cheers for sharing the highs and lows of your build. Hope from here on to completion things run a lot more smoothly for you & your family. Cheers dude

p.s keep the pics coming.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:45 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

Andy, very long time no speak mate!! i hope are very well??

well, today i have an update... the only dry day was forcast today for some time, so i booked the day off work and got the carps round with the facias required etc and set to work doing the EPDM

its fairly straight forward to fit, but did take a while, circa 2 hours for each roof, but you have to let the rubber rest for about 30 mins of that.

no progress pics of it im afraid as i failed to adhere to the instructions of wearing gloves and i was fooking covered in glue, and after a 45 min bath and scrubbing my hands with jif and a scouring pad, although a bit sore look a lot less like the hands of a black man!!

the roof are 99% done, i still have to stick on some little trim bits over thejoing in the plastic bits as you leave an expansion gap, but i dint get round to that. also the edge trims, i need to take off the one i fitted as i was going to do a mitre joint but forgot and nailed it on, it was only when i was about to cut it down i remembered so ill take it off and do it at some point soon, same on the otehr side.

also not sealed the edge down where it comes over the gable as there is something still to go in under the epdm for the tiles, i forget whats its called tho lol

so pics:

front dormer

rear dormer - the carp had gone before i had finished glueing it down, hence there is no lower batton for the tiles, so ive just placed a few on the felt for now to hold it down. and no edge trim yet as ive not measured or cut it.

view from the front

good days progress, and im fucked... my back is killing and my knees are fucked lol

still, at least i know what im doing when it comes to the big roof now! but the EPDM alone weighs about 100kg... so god knows how we will get it up there yet lol

pretty chuffed with my efforts today
Old 06-10-2012, 04:06 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

looking good Dan. Will have to pop over at some point and have a look.

Hope your all well.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:10 PM
mk22door
Fart of the Purniture

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

nice work mate, a good insight this
Old 06-10-2012, 09:30 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

nice work dan!
Old 06-10-2012, 09:35 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

Looking good.
After nearly a year, I have almost got the floors in my upstairs lol

you just cannot rush these jobs.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Originally Posted by costina
looking good Dan. Will have to pop over at some point and have a look.

Hope your all well.
Cheers paul, we are pretty good thanks mate, well when its not raining inside lol. come on over any time bud, im usually there!!

Originally Posted by mk22door
nice work mate, a good insight this
thanks mate, its been one bit learning curve so far!

Originally Posted by RichieST
nice work dan!
cheers rich

Originally Posted by markk
Looking good.
After nearly a year, I have almost got the floors in my upstairs lol

you just cannot rush these jobs.
ha, it does take time, lots of time and lots of money.

got a guy coming to measure up the windows etc this week hopefully, so once they are bought and the roof is finished our budget will have ran out

so the rest may take a good while to finish!!

good news is that the windows and doors etc i am getting at cost price, so just under 3k for the WHOLE house!!
Old 09-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Paul_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Coming along well
Old 10-10-2012, 07:04 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

cheers mate :
Old 10-10-2012, 10:26 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Windows and doors are not really that expensive these days tbh, I make sure that all my glass and the frames come with A rated certification, I have almost done the whole house.
On the extension we had made 3off @ 1800mm wide x 1000mm tall, 2off 900mm wide x 1500mm tall, 1off 1000mm x 1000mm windows, 1off 1600widex 2000mm tall french doors, 1off 900mm wide x 2000mm tall std 1/2 glazed door, mahogany on white, and they where only £2.2k all in.

The doors and glazing where considerably less than the insulation the building inspector made me put in the roof!

looking good though pal.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:36 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

all in i think there is 10 windows custom sizes, 2 sets of french doors one being 2.4m wide, a front and back door and a porch door which is an offset door. should all be a rated and hopefully have the little vents, also all doors are the low step jobbies.

but yeah, insulation is fooking expensive!

ive roughly priced up the celotex needed to go in the floors and ceilings, dormer wasll etc and there aint much change from 2k!!

the inspector wanted me to do warm decks on the flat roofs and told me what to use etc, the celotex with a grp covering was 4.5k just for the flat roofs! he got told to fuck off!

then he came back the other day and said i should have just used normal celotex and ply boarded it... ffs he says one thing to me, then comes back and says something else!! done exactly the same with the drainage! he told me what i needed, so i bought and fitted it all then he comes out for a look and asks why ive done it like that - cos he fucking said to!!

argh... anyway just waiting for some good weather to do the big flat roof then once windows and doors are in it'll be water tight!!
Old 23-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

well chaps a good update following the weekend!!

got the chippy round to finish decking the main flat roof, and then he and his labourer helped me get the epdm up there... it was 4.5m x 10.2m.... so just over 48 sqm

fucking stuff weighed about 100kg

we had tp partially unroll it and i got up ont he roof while the other 2 tried to pass it up... fuck me was it heavy!

still, we got it up and laid it out as it was raining and on saturday i had arranged for a couple of mates to come round and help glue it on.

instead of pulling it back halfway along the narrowest part, meaning we would have had to move 5m worth, i decided that with 3 of us we would do it along the 10m edge and only have to pull it back 2m that way, so we done the half nearest the house first, and while i was nailing on the trims for the front edge, the other 2 decided to apply the contact adhesive for the upstand... i was a bit dubious about doing that before the lot was glued down with the water based adhesive, but the hal we had already done was nice and flat....

so,, we glued the other half down and it had a big kink in it...

with a lot of fucking about we managed to get most of it out and it brushed into the corner near the house but we couldnt quite get rid of it 100%

to be fair tho it was a massive area to do, and it doesnt look too bad now.

i took ethe pics before i had got more air bubbles out, so its is better now and of course it will still need to settle more. the ones i have done already look much better than the day i done them now.

so, some pics - still need to get matey back to finish the tiling, but its coming on!

oh, windows should be here in 2 weeks

one thing i did find with the bubbles, is where the joins it the boards are, you push all the air out and then it just rises again.... so hopefully in a week or so it will flatten out.

but at least all the flat roof are done!!
Old 23-10-2012, 08:07 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Great stuff Dan!
Old 23-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

cheers rich. should be dry and windproof soon lol
Old 25-10-2012, 10:53 AM
CraigoScott
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

looks good pal! i take it you weren't tempted to put pin pricks in the epdm to get the air bubbles out
Old 25-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

my dad suggested that, and every funny fucker at work, but no, i didnt lol

was up there last night for a little look and it looks much better now its settled, but there are still a few places that just wont stay stuck down
Old 25-10-2012, 02:11 PM
cos 4x4
PassionFord Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who's fitting your windows for you?
Old 25-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

looking good so far!!
Old 25-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Originally Posted by cos 4x4
Who's fitting your windows for you?
hey mate, myself and 2 mates will be oing the windows, ill get fitters in for the doors. i didnt forget about you, but the price im getting them all for i very much doubt will be beaten. one of the mates who will be helping to fit, its his dad that works for the glazing company

Originally Posted by Psycho Warren
looking good so far!!
cheers warren
Old 25-10-2012, 09:16 PM
cos 4x4
PassionFord Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fudgey
hey mate, myself and 2 mates will be oing the windows, ill get fitters in for the doors. i didnt forget about you, but the price im getting them all for i very much doubt will be beaten. one of the mates who will be helping to fit, its his dad that works for the glazing company

cheers warren
what doors are they just normal pvc ? if so a doddle to fit can do at a very reasonable rate
Old 26-10-2012, 07:59 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

ok mate i might be in touch. the place that are supplying the windows will also give a quote to fit the doors, but ive not had that yet.
Old 19-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Chrissy_bwoy

Any more updates?
Old 19-11-2012, 10:03 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

alright Chris, yeah just a bit mate, but not many pics as its always dark when i remember lol and work have banned photobucket so i dont get time to upload the pics lol.

ill get some pics up of the latest progress tomoz hopefully but here is a brief summary of whats happened since we done the main flat roof:

the carp has finished and the roof is now complete
windows were delivered a couple of weeks ago and are all now fitted tot he new bits upstairs and the door frames are fitted in the groundfloor extension but not the glass yet as i need to get the boiler moved as it vents into it.
plumber is coming monday to move boiler so glass will be in soon.
electrician is coming sat to make a start so there should be another update then.
i have fitted window trims and sealed up the front windows, fitted the guttering and facia to the old part of the house and next door as the carp only done the new bit.
ive knocked up one stud wall so far, need to do another before sat for the electrician.
called the scaffolder today to arrange having that taken down, should be the end of the week now.

and todays progress - the electric garage door was delivered at 2pm today, i got home from work at 5, mate came round at 6 and we had look... it was all fitted by 8:30pm
took a little while to set up but it all works lol

oh and friday night while measureing the stud wall i as making, i somehow managed to fall through the ceiling into the hall way.... by sunday the plasterboard was replaced tho and looks ok lol

good thing was that it had to be replaced anyway due to water damage when the roof leaked... just happened a bit sooner than planned lol.

as said, ill try and get some pics up asap
Old 20-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Chrissy_bwoy

All sounds good! been busy!

LOL @ you falling thru the ceiling. remember my old man doing that and just seeing a leg appear in the kitchen
Old 20-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

it was funny! i was hanging by my armpits tho, managed to pull myself back up but it made fuckinghell of a mess!
Old 20-11-2012, 08:11 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

it was funny! i was hanging by my armpits tho, managed to pull myself back up but it made fuckinghell of a mess!

I fell out of the roof when doing my house, landed on thr 8x2 floor joints on the first floor, 2 cracked ribs and a lot of bruising, ended up off work for 2 weeks - over a year later and it still gives me greif, your lucky.
Old 20-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

:CRY:

its easily done mark! one minute i had a tape in my hand then next i was through the roof!

didnt get any pics this morning as its dark when i leave for work now, and dark when i get home! so hopefully at the weekend ill manage to get some pics!!

oh had the kitchen designer round earlier... we are going to move the kitchen now into the new bit out the back lol...

its what id originally planned but the architect had drawn it where it was...

i reckon i should have just done the plans myself! we have changed quite a bit of the original plans!!
Old 24-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

pics as promised!

i got wood, 40 peices of 4x2 to be exact so i could start knocking up the studs

while measuring up for the first one last friday night, i kind of slipped off the joist (taken up floorboards)

moments before this pic was taken, i was stood above the hole lol

sat went out an bought some plasterboard and this was the result

and end of play sunday we had this

then monday my new rollerdor garage door was delivered at 2pm. i got home from work at 5, my mate came round at 6... and by 8:30pm it looked like this

next morning in a bit of light

then during the week got a bit more stud up

then today the scaffolders turn up and took back their scaffolding at long last!

looks a bit more like a house now, from outside at least

it looks fooking big lol

and the sparkie was here today, so got most of the first fix done, all socket cables ran, boxes marked and cut out etc etc...

oh also can see the door frames in this pic, no glass fitted yet as boiler is being moved on monday, and in the previous pics you can see th enew windows int he front of the house. i have got all the window frames but not done the original ones yet..

im fucked
Old 24-11-2012, 09:39 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

I feel your pain. lol

its approx this time last year that I fired the heating back up testing it all, then we moved back in in December just before xmas.
Old 24-11-2012, 10:23 PM
H3lsing
ffoc.co.uk

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

That's cracking progress man, fair play. It's a massive house now really come on alot since you last posted pics .
Old 25-11-2012, 08:15 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

cheers guys. still a lot to do mark, but living here at the same time is a pain. for instance when the boiler is moved there will be temporary plumbing until the rest of the house is done as we are opening up what is now the kitchen, and moving the kitchen the new bit, as decided on monday lol

once the sparky is done i can get on with boarding and insulation, thats another massive spend im not looking forward to!
Old 25-11-2012, 05:09 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

As much as when you are knew deep in sh*t, dust and debt its quite rewarding when you have done most of it yourself.

I had the plastic pipes running over the floors supplying water so we could mix mortor lol, pumped out the rain water when it flooded, rebuilt the walls that fell down when we stripped the plaster off, relaid the floor after replacing the rotten joists we found under the floor lol

I can laugh about it now, but at the time, 6 months and 60k spent - was hard times, and im still insulating the upstairs lol - spent 4 hours cutting kingspan and fitting it between the roof spars etc, getting it in my eyes etc.

well done pal.
Old 25-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

wear goggles mate!!

i cut the celotex outside and that still got in the eyes, horrid stuff!

ran out of wood now but near as dammit got the upstaris stud walls done now, need 2 more uprights and then the noggins to finish one wall.

i nailed the boxes to the walls that we hung yesterday and cleaned up some copper pipe i had saved sof the plumber to use tomoz.

im fooked after this week lol

no let up next week either! need more wood to make the stud for the kitchen now as we have decided to move it. one thing id not thought about is that we have no rear access, so where we would have gone through the utility room with shit out the garden, we will now be dragging it through the kitchen

ive got 1260 blocks from the patio to get out the front as i was gonna reuse them and make the drive bigger.... what a twat

might have to get them shifted before i build the stud then can go straight through the garage lol. its just finding somewhere to put them...

plumber here tomoz and the spark will be back on tuesday and thursday... in the mean time i need to measure up and work out how much celotex and plasterboard is needed.... a fuck load methinks. i think in just the main flat roof will be £800 worth of celotex!
Old 25-11-2012, 10:09 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

wear goggles mate!!

i cut the celotex outside and that still got in the eyes, horrid stuff!

ran out of wood now but near as dammit got the upstaris stud walls done now, need 2 more uprights and then the noggins to finish one wall.

i nailed the boxes to the walls that we hung yesterday and cleaned up some copper pipe i had saved sof the plumber to use tomoz.

im fooked after this week lol

no let up next week either! need more wood to make the stud for the kitchen now as we have decided to move it. one thing id not thought about is that we have no rear access, so where we would have gone through the utility room with shit out the garden, we will now be dragging it through the kitchen

ive got 1260 blocks from the patio to get out the front as i was gonna reuse them and make the drive bigger.... what a twat

might have to get them shifted before i build the stud then can go straight through the garage lol. its just finding somewhere to put them...

plumber here tomoz and the spark will be back on tuesday and thursday... in the mean time i need to measure up and work out how much celotex and plasterboard is needed.... a fuck load methinks. i think in just the main flat roof will be £800 worth of celotex!

got all my insulation board from http://www.secondsandco.co.uk/

Awesome price compared to buying what is classed as 'new'

I cannot see what the difference is, the stuff still gets in your eyes on a regular basis lol.

my quote to do my roofs where near 2K, I got it all delivered from the above for £550.
Old 25-11-2012, 10:41 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

k'nell, that is cheap mate!

i usually use build-it shop and a 60mm celotex is £21.99 and a 65mm is £23.96, and i need 125mm thick so about £46 + VAT for 1200x2400

that site can get 120mm thick for £23! might be plus the VAT tho lol, but still!

i doubt the building inspector will notice the 5mm difference lol
Old 26-11-2012, 04:13 AM
Trist

Awesome work. Talk about making the most of available land. I'm looking to move at the moment. Just been looking at space available at places we have been looking at because of this thread.
Turned an average size house into a belter and looks like its ment to be there. If you know what I mean.
What do you think total cost of build with planning etc.
Old 26-11-2012, 09:43 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

ha, so far mate its cost us about £39,500 that includes all architect and council fees, basically everything from the very start.

still got the electrician to pay, about £2200 all in i guess for that, and the plumber is charging £250 to move the boiler and plumb in some rads and water feeds etc, so shouldn't be more than £500 all in for him

then i need to look at dry-lining and the insulation - gonna be several £0000's for that!

then its paint, fit a kitchen, bathroom and en suite... oh and 2 bedrooms to kit out.

fuck, thats gonna be about 60k by time all thats done at least lol

thing is, the cheapest quote we got was about 55k and all i would need to do was paint it, that was from a guy off heres brother in law. i dont think he would of been able to do it for that, there have been a few issues raised along the way that have bumped the price up a lot, so he wouldnt have made any money off it.

we have done a lot ourselves to save some cash, but it still all adds up!
Old 26-11-2012, 04:38 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

The thing I have found with builders etc over the years is they give you a quote but then when they forget things or do not factor in what if's then th prices always change.

The last people I had in gave me a quote to build dormers onto the house, then when I asked when are they doing the roof they told me they had not quoted to put a flat roof on it! WTF

what did they think was going to happen looking at the plans.

They did not factor in how much steel would be needed in parts of the house or in the walls that would need building upwards to supply stability to the new upstairs, or the fact that the all the joists would need to be replaced as part of the upstairs build.

Good job I did.
Old 26-11-2012, 09:02 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

yeah that is very true mate, if we had got a builder in to do the job, i bet runds would have ran out before the roof went on!

we had a few issues with the steels etc, and i think i was a bit nieve when i priced things up initially as i didnt know really how much the roof was going to be.

id factored about 7k for the roofs, in reality it was more like 15k but that also included the steels, fitting them and the epdm roof covering. the epdm alone was £1500 and i fitted that.

i think i was hoping to have the shell done for 30k, but the extra on the roof, and also the windows - the price i got them for it was silly not to spend the extra £1300 and do the whole house, also got a composite front door that should be here this week.

well, once its all done it will be bloody nice and people say we should get the money spent back when we sell it etc... but thats the whole point, we are doing this as we dont want to move!!!

although it would have been a lot easier lol

Quick Reply: My new project... Project front door...big update 24th nov. downstairs nearly done!