General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Driving FWD sideways. Any tips? *VID*

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Driving FWD sideways. Any tips? *VID*

Getting the hang of getting the back end of the bus to slide through lift off oversteer. Thought I was getting the hang of it so dragged the missus out to film it so I could see how it looked from outside the car.

I was gutted when I played it back and what felt proper sideways on film looked more of a wobble Any tips or is it a case of keep trying?

Vid added coutesy of DiscoStu

Click here to watch Not-So-Sideways
Old 04-12-2005, 04:34 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont bother is the best tip

But the video proved one thing, its the same with RWD, what FEELS really sidewys is usually just a 2degree ass twitch (those words copyright Billabong 2004 ).

Did you ever see that thread of how sideways someone (cant remember who) was on a trackday, and then a vid was posted up and there was no really noticable sideways at all.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:39 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Didn't see that one mate to be honest.

I just want to learn for a bit of fun and it can only help to enhance my (limited) driving skills. If I end in a situation where it happens by accident I will have a better chance of correcting it rather than bricking it and stamping on the brakes.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:51 PM
SteveT
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We talking RST here? I never found much lift-off oversteer but braking hard and then turning in made the backend very light. Dab of handbrake always works best though.

steve
Old 04-12-2005, 05:02 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

The only real way to do it is to watch Tiff Needel on 5th gear.

Horrendously fast corner entry speed, and use the weight transfer to get the back sliding.

It's a fair skill to master, as the power has to "drag" the car out of the slide, and not push.

I'll lend you a video I have of it being done by Richard Burns, and it's spectacular!
Old 04-12-2005, 05:11 PM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

As Rich says, you have to be really commited in FWD. And be really aggressive with your steering,braking and acceleration.

Simple answer is Why? It's not fast and it always looks jerky at the end of the slide as the front suddenly grips and pulls the front of the car sideways.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:14 PM
safflad

Left foot braking works in the works van (astra)
Old 04-12-2005, 05:18 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i find the easiest way is a scandanavian flick.

so if its a right hander, you steer sharp left a little, then hard right and at that moment come off the throttle (or left foot brake if you are more of a hero than i am) and it snaps most FWD cars out of line quite nicely.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:20 PM
gus
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

yep i left foot brake my works van, just to make the drive home a bit more interesting
Old 04-12-2005, 05:21 PM
safflad

it has to be done
Old 04-12-2005, 05:22 PM
jacko
PassionFord Post Whore!!

drive backwords lol
Old 04-12-2005, 05:22 PM
DOO
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Easyest way of all fit a set of NANKANGS on the rear and go and find a wet roundabout

Got a set on mine because the car would be boring otherwise
Old 04-12-2005, 05:50 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

doo lwis gotm you car quite sideways too at brunter but that was just sliding

i used left foot braking and that flick thing that chip refers too, do it on roundabouts but the cabrios are quite heavy on the back so when they loose traction they do just that and slide,,,,,,,,,,, down side is the roof catchs undo due to twisting

cars for sale if anyones interested, 2 owners from now, low milage and treated like my own child with just summer use only,
Old 04-12-2005, 06:39 PM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Oranoco good topic

Its surprisingly easy actually
Old 04-12-2005, 06:48 PM
Snowy_Astra
Advanced PassionFord User

I always found in the astra if i really wanted it to slide, the best thing to do was either to turn in, lift off, nip the handbrake on for a split second then power on again steering into it.

Or you could try steering it violently left to right in long sweeping fasions then yank it on the last one to set it off, but you need at least 30-40mph behind you to make it strip into a slide.

Dangerous tryign to make a FWD car slide TBH, especially in cramped areas. The trick is to get the speed first, then slide, not like RWD where you trot along at 10mph then slam the pedal to the metal whilst steering.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:00 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by SteveT
We talking RST here?
Erm.. No. This actually

Old 04-12-2005, 07:38 PM
Andy-R
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Great fun! Lots of practice bottle and commitment IMO.

The wee Pugs love it

In the 306 I tend to find a nice wet roundabout, use 3rd gear, turn in and as I'm doing so lift off!

Out she comes the momentum of the rear swinging out to the left is then ballanced&controlled with both throttle and steering input.

Here's a poor quality pic of Guy a M8 of ours at Knockhill during one of his controlled slides

Old 04-12-2005, 08:04 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Thing is that's what it felt like from where I was sitting
Old 04-12-2005, 08:10 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fook me thats a PROPER slide, ive only ever done that once and fook me it was scarey, actually LOOKING at the roundabout, never thought the fooking rear would get its traction back then the fooker snapped me the other way, love to say it was impressive but everyone else on the roundabout just stopped
Old 04-12-2005, 11:49 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by chip-3door
i find the easiest way is a scandanavian flick.

so if its a right hander, you steer sharp left a little, then hard right and at that moment come off the throttle (or left foot brake if you are more of a hero than i am) and it snaps most FWD cars out of line quite nicely.
Except that's not a scandinavian flick.

Scandinavian flick is actually where you have the car sliding in the wrong direction so that traction is lost, and you create the initial motion of the pendulum, and then steer on the throttle. Weight transfer is all at the rear end.

What you describe is a simple, but brutal weight transference, where the weight transfer is at the front so the rear is "light".
Old 05-12-2005, 12:20 AM
Hardeep_Singh
PassionFord Post Troll

you want to see one of keith's(beefy on here) video's, the ones at brunters in the wet, red s2 zvh think he uses the handbrake!

i've tried doin this with mine roundabouts are the best
Old 05-12-2005, 07:00 AM
Mongo

A lot of the FWD rally car lads have slightly rear biased brake set-ups. Turn in sharp, on the brake with the left foot, back end flys out, then its a combination of brake, gas and oversteer to keep it balanced

A word of warning. Do not lift-off oversteer one handed (whilst drinking a cup of coffee). Found this out on the way to work on friday. Managed to catch it, but the motorists going the other way weren't quite as ammused as I was! Bloke sideways, looking calm and half asleap and drinking a cuppa!
Old 05-12-2005, 07:05 AM
Snowy_Astra

I'd have FWD over RWD anyday, at least i don't have to think too hard about what the rear end is doing.

Almost crashed the omega power sliding the thing round a bend in the wet at 50 odd with half a ton of shit in the back and boot. Me and my mate jason were looking at the fecking railings and i was holding onto the doorcard with one hand and steering with the other.

You try applying enough power to pull out of it in time with an automatic
Old 05-12-2005, 09:54 AM
gearboxman
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

TBH you're gonna struggle with the Audi.
Most FWD road cars are sprung "safe", as the manufacturers don't really want Mrs Jones getting sideways in roundabouts....
This "safe" springing usually means the back is quite soft in relation to the front, which contributes in no small way to the understeer we experience with FWD.
To cure this, the only real way is to stiffen and/or raise the rear end. This has the effect of reducing weight transfer from front to rear. This will make the rear end more likely to go sideways, but in a much more predictable fashion, and will reduce understeer, improve traction and braking grip
Old 05-12-2005, 10:25 AM
Sunil_FiestaRS1800

Ive had my fiesta properly sideways without using the handbrake many a time. The key is to it ive found is basically enter the corner with way to much speed. The best one was racing my mates astra gsi , we came to a roundabout i was going well to fast let off the gas jsut before i started turning in to take the round about and it stepped out like a goodun and easily controllble. I know it properly stepped out and didnt jsut feel like it did as my mate was commenting onit when we stopped.

A good way to practice i found was find a really big roundabout and go round and round increasing your speed letting off before you turn in sharply and keep doing it faster faster and get more sideways everytime.

The astra GTE im driving at the mo is proper bad for oversteering and is a right hoot to drive. Its almost caught me out a few times cause it comes out so easy. Had the back end on the other side road through burnham beeches on a little hairpin with a gradien luckily i caught it though. Also had it litterally four wheel drfting undertakin a lorry on a roundabout in the wet. That put a grin on my face My mates dont like getting in the astra with me cause i proper drive it like i stole rather than the usual just driving hard i do in my fiesta.

Obviouslly using the handbrake is the easiest way to get it sideways though. This is what i done at the bottom corner of brunters. If it was a bitsmoother there i would have tried the lift off over steer method but it was well to bumpy so wasnt confident enough to enter the corner to fast incase it flipped or something

right click save as

http://www.rs1800.clara.net/half_decent_handbrake.avi

http://www.rs1800.clara.net/damos_ass.avi
Old 05-12-2005, 10:43 AM
DazS1Turbo

Originally Posted by Sunil_FiestaRS1800
Ive had my fiesta properly sideways without using the handbrake many a time. The key is to it ive found is basically enter the corner with way to much speed. The best one was racing my mates astra gsi , we came to a roundabout i was going well to fast let off the gas jsut before i started turning in to take the round about and it stepped out like a goodun and easily controllble. I know it properly stepped out and didnt jsut feel like it did as my mate was commenting onit when we stopped.

A good way to practice i found was find a really big roundabout and go round and round increasing your speed letting off before you turn in sharply and keep doing it faster faster and get more sideways everytime.

The astra GTE im driving at the mo is proper bad for oversteering and is a right hoot to drive. Its almost caught me out a few times cause it comes out so easy. Had the back end on the other side road through burnham beeches on a little hairpin with a gradien luckily i caught it though. Also had it litterally four wheel drfting undertakin a lorry on a roundabout in the wet. That put a grin on my face My mates dont like getting in the astra with me cause i proper drive it like i stole rather than the usual just driving hard i do in my fiesta.

Obviouslly using the handbrake is the easiest way to get it sideways though. This is what i done at the bottom corner of brunters. If it was a bitsmoother there i would have tried the lift off over steer method but it was well to bumpy so wasnt confident enough to enter the corner to fast incase it flipped or something

right click save as

Your Fucking Crazy

Off the Welt OldBoy
Old 05-12-2005, 10:46 AM
Mongo

Originally Posted by DazS1Turbo

right click save as

Your Fucking Crazy

Off the Welt OldBoy
Whats wrong with that?
Old 05-12-2005, 11:02 AM
DazS1Turbo

Originally Posted by Mongo
Originally Posted by DazS1Turbo

right click save as

Your Fucking Crazy

Off the Welt OldBoy
Whats wrong with that?
Who said anything was wrong Mongo?
Old 05-12-2005, 11:19 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

The Audi does have an aftermarket spring kit and I know it can go as I've spun it out a couple of times and if the road is damp I can get a lovely slide by applying the handbrake. Does good handbrake turns as well

Looks like I'm just going to have to keep practicing. Need to try and let the back slide out more before counter steering

Maybe I should see about punting it out on track at Bedford
Old 05-12-2005, 04:59 PM
ON-UJAH

Sunil the second video is more of a four wheel drift - if you'd have kept the power on you wouldn't have had the wobble, just drifted out a bit more with the tyres singing. Instead you lifted off causing the back to get unstable and putting you into a fishtail.

Good driving on the first video though!
Old 05-12-2005, 06:33 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Clip added courtesy of DiscoStu

Oh the shame
Old 05-12-2005, 06:35 PM
matt p
PassionFord Post Troll

Two McDonalds trays under the rear wheels work..........
Old 05-12-2005, 11:27 PM
Snowy_Astra

Originally Posted by Oranoco
Clip added courtesy of DiscoStu

Oh the shame
LMFAO sorry dude, but that was shit

Where you are going wrong is the fact you are turning off at the exit, keep going round till you feel the car wont hold no more then let off the accelerater making sure you leave the clutch up
Old 05-12-2005, 11:52 PM
heeman10
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

WTF Steve? You really do need a big open area to play with things like that though, particularly in a modern car worth more than £1,000! That does look tragic doesn't it matey?
Old 05-12-2005, 11:57 PM
Snowy_Astra

Originally Posted by heeman10
WTF Steve? You really do need a big open area to play with things like that though, particularly in a modern car worth more than £1,000! That does look tragic doesn't it matey?
And one of the best handling family cars ever built.