General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

FAO PC Guru's MSN Help Needed plz

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 07:24 PM
RS Bowk
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAO PC Guru's MSN Help Needed plz

i cant receeive files it say they were blocked because they were potentially unsafe.

they arent as have tried different peeps and are reliable sources

so wot am i doin wrong

HELP PLZ

PS. I can send files tho
Old 11-05-2005, 07:32 PM
glenis

this is MSN Messenger ?
Old 11-05-2005, 07:34 PM
RS Bowk

yes mate sorry its the new msn 7 too
Old 11-05-2005, 07:36 PM
Deano
PassionFord Post Whore!!

TELL THE PERSON SENDING THE FILE TO DISABLE THEIR FIREWALL AND DISABLE YOURS TOO

Or alternatively zip them up and send that way
Old 11-05-2005, 07:36 PM
glenis

do you use outlook express 6.0 ?
Old 11-05-2005, 07:37 PM
glenis

Old 11-05-2005, 07:39 PM
RS Bowk

dont think ive got a firewall and not 2 sure wot version of express im usin
Old 11-05-2005, 07:41 PM
glenis

hmmm.... i think i had this problem too...

just cant remember how i got into it, and sorted it all...

let me think
Old 11-05-2005, 08:06 PM
RS Bowk

lol it never used 2 happen wen i had the old messenger

and d/l the new 1 off msn.com
Old 11-05-2005, 08:37 PM
RS Bowk

ANY1 plz
Old 11-05-2005, 09:00 PM
Hockney

taken from www.mess.be

Want to send your mates a picture of your new girlfriend, a demo of your amazing guitar talent or that funny videofile you just discovered? But is MSN Messenger randomly returning them a message that "[user] tried to send you a file (filename.mp3). This file has been blocked because it is potentially unsafe."

Since MSN Messenger 7.0.0732 (a private BETA build), Microsoft has changed the file transfer with MSN Messenger in an effort to to set a halt to the increasing number of MSN Messenger viruses annoying everyone of us since the beginning of 2005. From now on "unsafe" file extensions* will be blocked immediately from getting through.

We're pretty sure that with the blocked file extensions strategy, Microsoft is chasing ("potential") MSN Messenger users away. So I guess it's our job to avoid that and tell you how to pass by this file extensions embargo:

1) What you could do is rename the file before sending it. For instance, call it readme.txt, send it over and then tell the person on the other end to rename it back to whatever it used to be.

2) Method number one is somewhat tedious if you transfer files regularly. That's why wtbw made us a quick and easy patch that enables the blocked file types again by marking them "safe" after all. Download File Extension Unblocker, launch it and restart MSN Messenger completely. Now if you share File Extension Unblocker with your contacts, you'll hardly notice any obstruction when transferring files over MSN Messenger.

3) If you're using MSN Messenger 7.0.0777 (the final release), you can also use Mess Patch to enable the transfer of "potentially unsafe files" again. Download Mess Patch and in the Conversation Window Options, make sure you check the Remove File Transfer Blocked Extensions tweak. Of course, you can select all the additional Mess Patch tweaks of your choice.

4) Another method to transfer blocked files is to use the File Sharing application from the Activities pulldown menu in your conversation window [thanks to: BenB].

IMPORTANT MESSAGE: Always be cautious about ANY MSN Messenger file transfer you accept. If you are unsure, discuss the content of a transfer with the contact before proceeding.

* The blocked file extensions are: .exe; .bat; .com; .cmd; .reg; .vbs; .inf; .msi; .htm; .html; .swf; .js; .mp3; .mp2; .ape; .apl; .flac;.shn; .mpc; .mp+; .wma; .ogg; .mp4; .aac; .voc; .mid; .mac; .cda; .kar; .midi; .rar; .zip; .wav; .jpg; .gif; .png; .bmp; .jpeg; .doc; .xls; .pls; .pub; .dat; .html; .htm; .avi; .mpg; .mpeg; .nfo; .txt; .torrent; .diz; .ppt; .m3u; .sfv; .tar; .htt; .mht; .asp; .aspx; .tiff; .rtf; .ini; .cab; .ico; .icl; .ip; .iptheme; .msstyles; .theme; .dll; .psd; .vbs; .swf; .php; .xaml; .iso; .bin; .cue; .xml; .par; .par2; .ace; .arj; .lzh; .7z; .gz; .bz; .uue; .bz2; .jar; .z; .ade; .adn; .adp; .aia; .img; .date; .aip; .ait; .amf; .ani; .aob; .asf; .csv; .fla; .pxr; .wmv; .nrg; .mov; .sav; .xhtml; .php5; .pxr; .m4a; .qxr; .h; .cpp; .pdd; .rle; .dib; .eps; .jpe; .pcx; .pdp; .raw; .pct; .pict; .sct; .tga; .vda; .icd; .vst; .tif; .tpl; .log; .prx; .cdf; .nls; .ax; .msc; .cpl.