General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

gtr 33 skyline questions

Old 12-08-2015, 11:14 PM
mgtkr1
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default gtr 33 skyline questions

I know this isn't a Nissan forum but as far as im aware a good few of you are well versed on skylines, supras, bmw ect ect. I stll have my turbo bonus but im wanting something with a boosted straight 6 and its basically come down to the rb26. my budget is 12k maximum, hopefully this will turn up a half decent r32/33. im just after some advice on what to look out for. theres one im going to view on Friday with circa 450bhp, built with forged rods/pistons ect with a goal of 600bhp. has full documentation of the build, receipts ect ect. is there anything to look out for that only a skyline guru would be aware of? thanks in advance, matt
Old 13-08-2015, 06:03 AM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I've had r32 and r33 and personally the R32 is a far better car to drive. The 33 feels so much bigger and looser.

I had r32 with circa 550 and what an awesome car, could just launch the over and over and never broke a thing.
Old 13-08-2015, 06:04 AM
COLEYST200
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 144 Likes on 133 Posts

The only thing I no about is the Gearbox the R32 has a sencro problem in 3rd and 4th they crunch if there on there way out . There's 3 ways to find out run the motor on the spot and try all the gears then drive it nice and steady in all the gears then give it some this time as you might not here it you will have to feal it in the gear stick as you change gear . The skyline gear box is a strong bit of kit but they all wair out and are not cheap to fix . Sorry I can not help any more than that mate
Old 13-08-2015, 08:31 AM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

I think Jay on here had one and his opinion is that sooner or later you will do a fast change 2nd to 3rd and hear the Syncro go "dink" and then it will always crunch. The accepted protection is about Ł100 worth of Shock Proof oil (sold on here through opie oils with discounts) and it uses "magic" to help protect the box. You can also upgrade the attessa pump control (controls the 4X4 split and 2 Wd control) to ETS pro which makes the changes in a millisecond due to much faster modern tech.

You can upgrade the box to close ratio 6 speed from an R34, these are bomb proof and can take 1000bhp without any work (Getrag box) but the cheapest I have seen is Ł3000 second hand and only guaranteed if fitted by them. (GT Bitz)

GT Bitz seem to know their stuff as does the obvious Middlehurst so I would speak to them about an inspection.
Old 13-08-2015, 08:45 AM
mgtkr1

thanks a lot folks
Old 13-08-2015, 09:37 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

As Toby says's the boxes are bloody strong BUT the weak point is the syncro's and if they are not worn all it takes is a duff change and then itll crunch but not overly expensive to get repaired make sure the box is tested cold to warm ,the other issue is rust they rust every where rear arches and rear tubs front inner outer wings front and rear floors and sills . Just because the car is very well specced dont make the assumption that all is well so dont buy it with your dick use your head lol check the car over get it on ramps or even pay a mot test center to look at it and ask if you can observe as well . The parts for these are really hard to get hold of especially body panels .

The R32 not only looks more retro hardcore but is over 100 kilos lighter than the R33 the engine isnt a torque monster and for a gtr to feel alive it really needs to be 450+ bhp as there are such a big car . Seeing as the engine has been forged you haven't got the piston and ring issues a standard car has so thats a massive benefit but keep a eye on oil pressure as the oil pump is direct crank driven with a plastic cog and these do wear . The standard ignition isnt that strong so uprated coil packs will be needed if not already done . The interior build quality is a bit datsun so you wont be blown away by that you will need to run them on good plugs so a set of plugs will set you back at least Ł50 for basic ones and oil change are not cheap either lol.

Never owned a 32 but owned a 33 gtst with 500bhp and a 33 gtr vspec with 480 and was never a real fan of the gtr purely because it felt heavier and not as thrilling to drive as the 2wd smaller brother but launching the gtr was good fun so its swings and round abouts lol

They are very good cars and you will need to keep on top of them to keep them nice and with the right exhaust they are very theatrical lol love the sond very addictive
Old 13-08-2015, 10:33 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

This is interesting for me, some good info here. I just sold my BMW 135i and I'm looking at an R32 GT-R next. Or possibly an FD RX-7, but everyone tells me that's a terrible idea!

I heard about oil pumps being an issue and to look out for rust, but didn't realise gearboxes were so easy to damage.
Old 13-08-2015, 10:52 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Simon the fd rx7 are a fun car but engines are very highly strung and again rust is a issue they are well balanced ect high reving but not to torquey
Old 13-08-2015, 11:07 AM
mgtkr1

I was thinking about rx7's aswell but something tells me that's a bd idea aswell. does anyone have any knowledge of dcy Europe in York? im going to view an almost standard r32 this afternoon.
Old 13-08-2015, 11:26 AM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i would choose a 32GTR over a Rx7 any day of the week, although i must admit the only thing that ever beat me in my 32 was an RX7 lol.

I would still take the GTR awesome car for thrills and massive adrenaline rush, I personally think the R33 looks better but thats down to personal preference.
Old 13-08-2015, 11:27 AM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Well I've had both an R32 GTR and R33 GTR. I was never interested in an R33, but a trip to Wales (from Kent) to buy a big power R32 ended with the car being total shite. I had lined up a viewing on an R33 just encase, yep ended up buying that.

Coming from someone that had always assumed the R33 GTR would be a step back from my 32, I can honestly say I was only pleasantly surprised. The R33 felt far safer, my 32's rear wheel steering was scary on undulating roads. The performance was still good and it felt far more nimble than it's visuals suggested. I actually really liked the R33 after owning it. I would say the R33 felt a step up in many ways, only negative for me was the visuals really. Don't think you can beat a good R32 for that. But, if you like the look don't let anyone put you off saying the R32 drives better.

Only problems I had were synchros. Both of mine crunched into 5th.
Old 13-08-2015, 11:53 AM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

first thing you do is lock the rear steering, I also rose jointed and solid bushed as much as the rear suspension as possible. It was by far the best handling car i have ever owned and was solid as a rock. at 550Hp it was so predictable and when it would step out it was just so controllable.

My R33GTR was also controllable although it was heavier and had less power but was like jelly in comparison, but a much more comfortable car to drive. depends what you want really.
Old 13-08-2015, 12:36 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Jay,
Simon the fd rx7 are a fun car but engines are very highly strung and again rust is a issue they are well balanced ect high reving but not to torquey
Yes, I've looked into them quite a lot now and would still like one, but I know it will be trouble. Plus I've got used to over 500lb ft of torque now, so reckon the RX-7 might not be best suited.

Originally Posted by mgtkr1
I was thinking about rx7's aswell but something tells me that's a bd idea aswell. does anyone have any knowledge of dcy Europe in York? im going to view an almost standard r32 this afternoon.
Which one you going to look at? And what for what sort of price? I've seen a few cheaper ones that seem OK for the money, but would like to know if they are all dogs at the lower end though!

Originally Posted by Ebonycossie4x4
i would choose a 32GTR over a Rx7 any day of the week, although i must admit the only thing that ever beat me in my 32 was an RX7 lol.

I would still take the GTR awesome car for thrills and massive adrenaline rush, I personally think the R33 looks better but thats down to personal preference.
Ha! I think I might drive both, but the R32 is looking a lot more likely. I really don't like the R33, way too slab-sided for me. My only problem is I find most 4WD cars utterly boring to drive. So I like the idea of turning the R32 2WD when I want, using a controller or pulling fuse etc... which I understand you can't do with later cars.
Old 15-08-2015, 09:17 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

go for it you will love it. r33 will be your cheapest option, they drive nicer to as a road car.

my last r32 had a rebuilt gearbox and the shifts were relatively quick and easy, yes some boxes are getting cranky now but look how old they are, they are an awesome gearbox will take 700 hp with a little mechanical sympathy no problems.

my last r33 gtr was 710 hp, stock balanced crank with a jun oil pump and forged pistons and rods, the bottom end had done 30000 miles when I sold it and it was still going strong with an 8600 rpm limit ! built correctly they are a great engine, they do lack in torque but mine still made 490 lbft, 660 hp at the hubs.
Old 15-08-2015, 09:20 AM
jaiscossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I have also owned an R32 GTR and an R33 GTR vspec, both great cars although i believe the R32s had a weaker cylinder head design and can crack as mine did costing a small fortune to fix.
Old 27-08-2015, 12:30 AM
mgtkr1

well I got a 32 gtr, some good news and bad. the bad news is the gearbox is shagged, the syncros are showing signs there on there way out but 5th gear is non existent. I made the mistake of using a trader in Keighley, I was horrified at the reviews but that's my fault. it was a last minute decision to go view this one, the place was full of high end supercars so I thought all would be well. a test drive revelead it went like stink, seemed to change gear as it should ect. imagine my delight when I join the m62 to find I have a 4 speed skyline! I rang them immedietly and they insisted I take it back for them to rectify. rather than have them touch it, I will repair it via someone I trust and send them an invoice along with a letter/documents to prove the car wasn't a1 when I got it in my possession. I considered taking it back, demanding a refund ect but to be honest everything else is spot on, the bodywork isn't perfect but its better than a majority of other r32's ive seen. it has hks fcon ecu, blitz boost control, rosejointed adjustable arms ect, coilovers, 2 way diff, brembo's and bells/rotors and a very trick arc intercooler. nismo 600cc injectors and runs around 400bhp. its a shame about the gearbox but other than that im smitten and the handling is like nothing else ive experienced. I paid a lot of money for a car with a duff box but on the other hand, I got a v spec for a decent price. the gearbox is giving me a headache as I bought an r33 gtr box and I will need to fathom a way of converting from pull to push so that I can retain my clutch. thanks for the input to everyone who commented. ps if I get something out of the dealer, its a bonus but if not im resigned to the fact now. a valuable lesson learnt
Old 27-08-2015, 08:51 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

well I got a 32 gtr, some good news and bad. the bad news is the gearbox is shagged, the syncros are showing signs there on there way out but 5th gear is non existent. I made the mistake of using a trader in Keighley, I was horrified at the reviews but that's my fault. it was a last minute decision to go view this one, the place was full of high end supercars so I thought all would be well. a test drive revelead it went like stink, seemed to change gear as it should ect. imagine my delight when I join the m62 to find I have a 4 speed skyline! I rang them immedietly and they insisted I take it back for them to rectify. rather than have them touch it, I will repair it via someone I trust and send them an invoice along with a letter/documents to prove the car wasn't a1 when I got it in my possession. I considered taking it back, demanding a refund ect but to be honest everything else is spot on, the bodywork isn't perfect but its better than a majority of other r32's ive seen. it has hks fcon ecu, blitz boost control, rosejointed adjustable arms ect, coilovers, 2 way diff, brembo's and bells/rotors and a very trick arc intercooler. nismo 600cc injectors and runs around 400bhp. its a shame about the gearbox but other than that im smitten and the handling is like nothing else ive experienced. I paid a lot of money for a car with a duff box but on the other hand, I got a v spec for a decent price. the gearbox is giving me a headache as I bought an r33 gtr box and I will need to fathom a way of converting from pull to push so that I can retain my clutch. thanks for the input to everyone who commented. ps if I get something out of the dealer, its a bonus but if not im resigned to the fact now. a valuable lesson learnt
Ah mate, sorry to hear that. I'm going to look at an R32 GT-R on Saturday. I saw those cars at the dealer in Keighley and was tempted to go and look at one, but decided to Google the dealer's name first and saw so many bad reviews that I decided not to bother in the end. They had so many nice cars there though! Which one did you buy?
Old 27-08-2015, 09:24 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Conversion from pull to push

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/160285-pu...onversion.html
Old 27-08-2015, 09:33 AM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Received 347 Likes on 320 Posts

Cant really help much here but I reckon the R23 GTR could well be the next big thing in the classic car world and prices will rise accordingly. It was a very successful touring car and its of the right era for it to be seen as a classic now. I'd say snap one up quick.
Old 27-08-2015, 10:43 AM
mgtkr1

it was the white one with prodrive wheels si. hopefully it will have all five gears this time next week. the place has some stunning cars, and I suppose its easy to be sucked in by the quality of some of the cars they have. thanks for the link jay. the price of r32's seems to be going up. im not one of these that likes to hype values ect just because its beneficial to me but I think now is the time to buy an r32 if you were ever considering it. prior to really looking, I just looked at the 32 as the dinosaur, ignoring its heritage in group a and all japan touring cars and thinking it looked the most dated. but the looks have grown on me and the way it drives, I can see why the purists love them.
Old 27-08-2015, 11:05 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

it was the white one with prodrive wheels si. hopefully it will have all five gears this time next week. the place has some stunning cars, and I suppose its easy to be sucked in by the quality of some of the cars they have. thanks for the link jay. the price of r32's seems to be going up. im not one of these that likes to hype values ect just because its beneficial to me but I think now is the time to buy an r32 if you were ever considering it. prior to really looking, I just looked at the 32 as the dinosaur, ignoring its heritage in group a and all japan touring cars and thinking it looked the most dated. but the looks have grown on me and the way it drives, I can see why the purists love them.
Yep, think I remember that one, looked nice. I really wanted to go and see the silver one they have on gold wheels, as I have a soft spot for that colour combo! But it was virtually standard. Going to look at a much better spec car now though.
Old 27-08-2015, 11:50 AM
mgtkr1

keep us posted si, you wont be disappointed when you get the right car
Old 27-08-2015, 11:52 AM
mgtkr1

Old 27-08-2015, 11:59 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I'll let you know how I get on. Never been out of driven a Skyline before! Yours looks very nice, good colour. Any plans? Aside the 'box of course?
Old 27-08-2015, 12:51 PM
mgtkr1

thanks, not sure really. it will be with me for a long time (hopefully) as I keep hold of stuff. I hope to have the dash flocked as my is heavily pregnant. its a common problem apparently, they basically bulge out on the passenger side. have the interior recovered, the seats are all together but there grubby, and what looks like superglue has been spilt. engine wise, I will be happy with 450bhp so really its just a case of dyno time after fitting some r34 turbo's. (r32/33 gtr's have ceramic wheels that fall apart beyond a bar of boost apparently) at the minute its running a max of 12 psi and I have an a/fr guage which is handy. im guessing the power to be just shy of 400bhp but that's just speculation. I will have it on the rollers before I piss around too much. externally I will correct some of the blemishes, theres a shitty patch underneath that wants addressing although its reasonably good underneath. then I suppose I will do a couple of trackdays and go bike baiting lol
Old 27-08-2015, 12:52 PM
mgtkr1

and get rid of the naff tints if I can.
The following users liked this post:
XRT_si (30-08-2015)
Old 27-08-2015, 12:57 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

thanks, not sure really. it will be with me for a long time (hopefully) as I keep hold of stuff. I hope to have the dash flocked as my is heavily pregnant. its a common problem apparently, they basically bulge out on the passenger side. have the interior recovered, the seats are all together but there grubby, and what looks like superglue has been spilt. engine wise, I will be happy with 450bhp so really its just a case of dyno time after fitting some r34 turbo's. (r32/33 gtr's have ceramic wheels that fall apart beyond a bar of boost apparently) at the minute its running a max of 12 psi and I have an a/fr guage which is handy. im guessing the power to be just shy of 400bhp but that's just speculation. I will have it on the rollers before I piss around too much. externally I will correct some of the blemishes, theres a shitty patch underneath that wants addressing although its reasonably good underneath. then I suppose I will do a couple of trackdays and go bike baiting lol
Sounds good. The one I'm looking at is supposed to be around 400bhp, as uprated cams and a few other bits. Where is most common to look out for rot, do you know? As that;s what I'm most concerned about.
Old 27-08-2015, 05:41 PM
mgtkr1

i think the usual places, under arches, floor ect. a particular problem is there prone to rot around the suspenion turrets upfront
Old 30-08-2015, 05:59 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

So, bought this yesterday! Love it so far. Though not fast enough!
Name:  image_zpsewvwyqhw.jpg
Views: 3873
Size:  85.2 KB
Old 30-08-2015, 07:00 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Nice looking car Si ! They need 500+ to feel quick
Old 30-08-2015, 07:03 PM
jameswrx
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I had the prodrive wheels on my white R33 GTR

I'd love a nice R32 GTR again, proper investment car IMO.
Old 30-08-2015, 07:36 PM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Received 347 Likes on 320 Posts

Very nice indeed! Keep it mint and it'll hold its value all day long (and probably gain some)
Old 30-08-2015, 08:11 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Very nice, agreed 500bhp + and they feel awesome!
Old 31-08-2015, 12:20 AM
mgtkr1

glad you found onelooks a lovely motor that si, whats the power? to me mine feels quick but then again my quickest car till now is my rst powered mk4 escort
Old 31-08-2015, 08:08 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Spec is pretty decent, it used to be an ex-track car so suspension mods make it handle nicely. It apparently was 400bhp but boost has been turned down to 0.7 boost so it feels sloooooow! Lol

It does sit well though!

Name:  4E7B6561-AD06-4C2D-B6B0-262E6C825326.png_zpseqr6zh8t.jpeg
Views: 3536
Size:  101.6 KB

Name:  2182287E-3014-459F-9375-3940288D8064.png_zpsfxsidg5d.jpeg
Views: 3654
Size:  77.1 KB

P1 Racing Wheels
Uprated brake pads
Aftermarket side skirts
Bride Bucket seat
Sabelt Safety belt harnesses
N1 Nismo Vents
Trust Large Intercooler
Blitz aluminium radiator
Blitz Twin Suction Air filters
HKS Roll cage
Carrozeria speakers + tweeters
N1 Nismo Bonnet Lip
Ikeya Control arms
Front Upper Rose Joints
Polybushed
Cusco Rear Upgraded DIFF LSD
Central locking with key fobs
Chequered Gtr Floor Mats
Trust Greddy Aluminium Gear knob
Momo Drifting Steering wheel with Boss
Apexi Touch Boost Gauge
Apexi Ex Temp Gauge
Mines 320KMH Speedo Tachometer
R34 Style Tachometer aluminium plate
Recaro Racing Passenger Seat
N1 Nismo Boot lip
Claysmith Cams Camshafts
Claysmith Cams Valve springs
Ported and Polished Race Head
New Rocker Cover Seals
OEM Wind deflectors
Cusco Aluminium Strut Brace
TEIN Race Adjustable Coilovers
Uprated Short Shifter
Headlight HID Xenons
NGK BKR8EIX Spark Plugs

Last edited by XRT_si; 31-08-2015 at 08:10 AM.
Old 31-08-2015, 08:31 AM
SMILER258
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

They look so stunning stop posting pictures up god dammit
Old 31-08-2015, 09:10 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by XRT_si
Spec is pretty decent, it used to be an ex-track car so suspension mods make it handle nicely. It apparently was 400bhp but boost has been turned down to 0.7 boost so it feels sloooooow! Lol

It does sit well though!

P1 Racing Wheels
Uprated brake pads
Aftermarket side skirts
Bride Bucket seat
Sabelt Safety belt harnesses
N1 Nismo Vents
Trust Large Intercooler
Blitz aluminium radiator
Blitz Twin Suction Air filters
HKS Roll cage
Carrozeria speakers + tweeters
N1 Nismo Bonnet Lip
Ikeya Control arms
Front Upper Rose Joints
Polybushed
Cusco Rear Upgraded DIFF LSD
Central locking with key fobs
Chequered Gtr Floor Mats
Trust Greddy Aluminium Gear knob
Momo Drifting Steering wheel with Boss
Apexi Touch Boost Gauge
Apexi Ex Temp Gauge
Mines 320KMH Speedo Tachometer
R34 Style Tachometer aluminium plate
Recaro Racing Passenger Seat
N1 Nismo Boot lip
Claysmith Cams Camshafts
Claysmith Cams Valve springs
Ported and Polished Race Head
New Rocker Cover Seals
OEM Wind deflectors
Cusco Aluminium Strut Brace
TEIN Race Adjustable Coilovers
Uprated Short Shifter
Headlight HID Xenons
NGK BKR8EIX Spark Plugs
That sounds a good spec get some boost up it lol
Old 31-08-2015, 05:24 PM
mgtkr1

yea, they feel slow with the standard boost don't they. I have been pissing around with the boost controller as it was a minefield to suss but ive got the hang of it now. the difference with a bit of boost is immense. im running it with the controller off until I get it on the rollers (standard boost for now) although the a/f looks happy with the extra boost pressure. trying to look for the engine number to se wethe it has an n1 block. the 24u is supposed to denote n1 but im having a bit of grief trying to see it lol. its near the dip stick hole, maybe worth looking. stronger crank, 1.5 rings, bigger water gallerys, steel turbo's rather than ceramic ect ect. is your dif horrible when turning at low speed? mine makes a right racket. word is its normal with a 2 way diff.

Last edited by mgtkr1; 31-08-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old 31-08-2015, 07:54 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Jay,
That sounds a good spec get some boost up it lol
It feels like it needs at least another bar of boost to make it interesting! Though must say it feels so confident with the current power that you can really chuck it about. Would be good on track at this power level to get used to I reckon.

yea, they feel slow with the standard boost don't they. I have been pissing around with the boost controller as it was a minefield to suss but ive got the hang of it now. the difference with a bit of boost is immense. im running it with the controller off until I get it on the rollers (standard boost for now) although the a/f looks happy with the extra boost pressure. trying to look for the engine number to se wethe it has an n1 block. the 24u is supposed to denote n1 but im having a bit of grief trying to see it lol. its near the dip stick hole, maybe worth looking. stronger crank, 1.5 rings, bigger water gallerys, steel turbo's rather than ceramic ect ect. is your dif horrible when turning at low speed? mine makes a right racket. word is its normal with a 2 way diff.
Not sure how the boost is controlled on my car yet! No sign of a boost controller, but keep finding loads of little cool bits and pieces on it.

I want to find out about my engine now!

And no, my diff doesn't make any noise. I was expecting it to, so I'm kinda doubting it has one fitted really! Supposed to be an Cusco one in it.
Old 31-08-2015, 08:28 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

Great looking cars if I wasn't a cosworth fan I'd consider one

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: gtr 33 skyline questions