General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

difference between pinto and cosworth?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 08:23 AM
Dawie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default difference between pinto and cosworth?

Can someone please tell me what exactly the difference is between the pinto and the cossy and will I be able to convert my pinto into a cossy and more or less what will I need? Any help or advice regarding this matter will be appreciated.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:41 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Well the block you can use, but you cant long stud.
Crank is different but you could use yours if not going for big power
Rods are different
Pistons are different
Manifolds are different
Management is different
Head is different, as are cams

Thats before you get onto items like different throttle body and sensors and injectors etc

TBH the number of parts you can use from the pinto is so small it makes it a pointless exercise really.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:14 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

he can use the engine mounts chip

possibly the starter as well?
Old 06-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Dawie

What is the difference in the pistons and cranck, can I put that stuff in a pinto block?
Old 06-09-2011, 10:42 AM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

It will be a lot cheaper just to buy the cossie engine.

Steve
Old 06-09-2011, 10:49 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Dawie
What is the difference in the pistons and cranck, can I put that stuff in a pinto block?
it's like asking the diference between a boggo standard sierra base model and a cossie

they are both sierra's but that's about where the similarities end
Old 06-09-2011, 10:57 AM
Chip

crank is stronger on the YB
Pistons are low comp and have clearance for the 16 valves
rods are different too

The cheapest way to aquire all the parts you need for the conversion would be to buy a cosworth engine, and then just use your block.

Is your reason for wanting to keep your pinto that you live in a country which doesnt allow you to change the engine block, or is it that you are delusional and think its a good idea compared to just buying a complete YB?
Old 06-09-2011, 12:21 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 103 Likes on 101 Posts

The similarity ends at the block, forged pistons, crank etc are just the start, the former is near enough the only thing you could use, as said it's cheaper and easier just to buy a complete YB.

Most Pintos weren't even managed, they breathed via a carb, it's only in later model's were they were EFI.

Have you thought about a turbocharging your current Pinto?

Martin
Old 07-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Dawie

Originally Posted by Chip
crank is stronger on the YB
Pistons are low comp and have clearance for the 16 valves
rods are different too

The cheapest way to aquire all the parts you need for the conversion would be to buy a cosworth engine, and then just use your block.

Is your reason for wanting to keep your pinto that you live in a country which doesnt allow you to change the engine block, or is it that you are delusional and think its a good idea compared to just buying a complete YB?
Here isn't actually yb engines in south africa so I wondered if I couldn't build one, now I'm not so sure anymore.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:27 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You can, but the block would be near enough the only part you can use. If your going to all the effort of the build and sourcing the parts (Not to mention expense!) it's easier to buy one outright!

Plus no one has mentioned a turbo which is another expensive part, management, loom etc, this is before you get to tuning the chassis and modifying the drive train/brakes/suspension etc all of which is compulsory, as the standard components won't handle the power!

Basically you would need a donor Cosworth beside it to convert a lesser model, drive shafts etc, prop shaft etc are different, the standard hardware you have will simply not handle the extra power!

The above are just a few things that spring to mind, there are so many things that are different between the two!

Can you not import an engine/car from over here?

Martin

Last edited by martysmartie; 07-09-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:13 PM
Chip

Here isn't actually yb engines in south africa so I wondered if I couldn't build one, now I'm not so sure anymore.
Just import one, will only cost a couple of hundred quid to post.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:31 PM
Dawie

Originally Posted by Chip
Just import one, will only cost a couple of hundred quid to post.
How much value do the quid have against the south african rand and what fright company can one use? The guys here ask about 20 000 rand to ship a engine from england. What country are you from and how much will I pay for a cosworth engine there by you?
Old 07-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Dawie

Originally Posted by martysmartie
The similarity ends at the block, forged pistons, crank etc are just the start, the former is near enough the only thing you could use, as said it's cheaper and easier just to buy a complete YB.

Most Pintos weren't even managed, they breathed via a carb, it's only in later model's were they were EFI.

Have you thought about a turbocharging your current Pinto?

Martin
Turbo charge is a option as here you will see more power for less money, but then on the other hand do I again need to change the pistons, crank and conrods?
Old 07-09-2011, 01:43 PM
Dawie

Originally Posted by martysmartie
You can, but the block would be near enough the only part you can use. If your going to all the effort of the build and sourcing the parts (Not to mention expense!) it's easier to buy one outright!

Plus no one has mentioned a turbo which is another expensive part, management, loom etc, this is before you get to tuning the chassis and modifying the drive train/brakes/suspension etc all of which is compulsory, as the standard components won't handle the power!

Basically you would need a donor Cosworth beside it to convert a lesser model, drive shafts etc, prop shaft etc are different, the standard hardware you have will simply not handle the extra power!

The above are just a few things that spring to mind, there are so many things that are different between the two!

Can you not import an engine/car from over here?

Martin
Importing isn't so big problem, shipping cost however going to cost a lot so no can do there mate
Old 07-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Chip

quid is a slang term for pounds, apologies!

12 rands = 1 pound

Over here a complete cosworth engine with everything including turbo and manifold etc is about 2,000 pounds I guess, although it varies depending on spec and who is selling.

So around 25,000 rand to buy the engine itself.

You'll need to check online for postage costs, I am probably being optimistic with the couple of hundred quid actually.
I just checked with one, and it came out at 750 pound (10,000 ish rand) based on 200kg and 100cm*100cm*100cm which should cover it.

http://www.pallet2ship.co.uk

Last edited by Chip; 07-09-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:45 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Turbo charge is a option as here you will see more power for less money, but then on the other hand do I again need to change the pistons, crank and conrods?
The YB is FI out the box anyway so yes it would be even more difficult to go N/A with although a couple of people have done I believe.

No a standard Cosworth is well over engineered to start with, as such it has forged pistons, steel crank etc.

Martin