General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Still trying to choose an engine and box (4K budget), also engine weights reference?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Still trying to choose an engine and box (4K budget), also engine weights reference?

I'm still trying to decide on an engine to go into my clio, and although im very interested in the audi/vw 20vt i'd like something ally blocked (ie lighter) if possible.

Firstly, does anyone know of a reference of engine weights anywhere for multiple makes of car?
Bit of a long shot, but worth a try!

Apparently its possible to build an ally 20vt relatively easily using the block from a 1.6 8v golf, so thats one opion.

The modern saab 2.0 turbo is another that springs to mind (same block as the 2.2 mk4 astra)

Honda lumps look quite interesting too.

Turbo bike engines are another thing I considered but would no doubt blow the budget by the time they are on a transmission etc

Basically my requirements are:
300bhp ballpark in modified form within the budget
Decent gearbox fitted need to be in the budget (so for example with the audi lump it would be easy to use a PG1 rover box as martin sells the adaption bits for about 500+vat including the flyhweel)
Light as possible without 300bhp being too much for it cope with

Any suggestions?

I dont want the total bill for the engine and box going over 4k if possible (including clutch but excluding management as I have that, and excluding things like intercooler etc, but it DOES need to include the cost of an ATB/LSD diff)

Won't be paying labour and am obviously used to doing engine builds etc, so if its something that needs for example a set of rods to be reliable at 300bhp, then it just needs to include the cost of the rods and the gaskets etc rather than labour for someone else to fit, likewise I'll be fitting management and mapping whatever I use anyway so no need to include any costs for loom/ecu/mapping.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Chip

Ps

any engine with the turbo at the back seems like a good bonus due to weight distribution, as im trying to ruin the handling of the car as little as possible while im at it!
Old 04-01-2011, 09:58 AM
alistairolsen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

without really knowing if it will work, volvo t4 is an oddball alloy blocked choice which can be had for peanuts...

Not sure how comfortably it will do 300bhp or what it weighs though, sorry.

PS, think turbo is down the back, certainly is on the 5s. - - Edit, yes it is.

http://completed.shop.ebay.co.uk/Car...c0.m283&_rdc=1

You will probably need rods but they're not mega money:

http://kalmar-union.com/parts/volvo-s40_v40-engine/

Worth speaking to Russ first though, he may have a better/cheaper source.

Standard turbo is a nice twinscroll unit with an internal recirc on a TD04 frame, but sadly not on the ubiquitous T4 flange and too small for your uses (flat out at 240bhp) so youll need a manifold probably and something like a T5 spec TDO4 or slightly larger.

Last edited by alistairolsen; 04-01-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Chip

hmm, not one I had considered, but Im quite happy to look outside the box, not interested in if its a trendy engine or not, just if its a decent one!

Ally blocked, turbo'd as standard, turbo at back, those all sound like plus points.

Do you know anything about their gearboxes, ie are they strong and are they heavy and how much is an LSD?
(im guessing you wont from how vague you are about the engine but asking in case anyone else on here does, like Russ for example!)

P.S
Its fucking scarey how little 4 grand actually is for this sort of thing, it didnt sound too bad when I first allocated the budget for this project, but its really starting to feel like fuck all now

Last edited by Chip; 04-01-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:05 AM
xr2 xr2 xr2
xr2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe from track designs is good with these vw/Audi engines and is building one for his 4wd Ka at the mo, he might be able to advise you
Old 04-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by xr2 xr2 xr2
Joe from track designs is good with these vw/Audi engines and is building one for his 4wd Ka at the mo, he might be able to advise you
Thanks, Martin Hadland has been helpful too, and Xsport in basingstoke also know a lot about these engines as they run loads of race cars with them in and Jay from there as offered to give me some good info if I do go down that route.

thats one of the good things about these engiens, LOTS of people tuning them so its known what to do to tune them (ie standard rods are shite) which is a definate plus point, rather than finding out the hard way!
Old 04-01-2011, 10:16 AM
cjwood555

- EP civic Type-R motor (or a B16 with more work), blown or turbod?
- Zetec-SE / sigma, turbo'd with new rods should do it no probs and be a rev-er
- Does the 172 lump or the Williams lump not turbo well?
- Duratec turbo would do that power in that budget

...I'm struggling to think of ally-blocked engines suited to the task!

What about a toyota 1zz or 2zz from the last celica? There was a european company called 'c2 power' offering parts for turbo conversions at good prices and they made GOOD power. 2zz revs to around 9k in standard form, and includes vct and v-tec style high-lift profile swap after x-rpm.

Chris
Old 04-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Rax
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any Volvo questions Chip I would speak to mad russell < I think thats right.The guy with the yellow t5
I know you know stuff but why resarch something new when you can ask a question.

Last edited by Rax; 04-01-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:17 AM
xr2 xr2 xr2
xr2

He's pretty good with them I think, building a 500hp one! The one he has put in his Ka was a 250hp one out a tt with all the 4wd running gear but is not happy with it cos it's not as quick as it was before he done it!
Old 04-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by cjwood555
- EP civic Type-R motor (or a B16 with more work), blown or turbod?
Yeah have considered that, also the type r teg lump, although weight distribution on them is on wrong side for most uk circuits (engine sits passenger side)

- Zetec-SE / sigma, turbo'd with new rods should do it no probs and be a rev-er
any links to examples?

- Does the 172 lump or the Williams lump not turbo well?
Yes but the gearboxes are shite

- Duratec turbo would do that power in that budget
What transmission would it be on?
the v6 boxes are a bit heavy and the rst ones a bit weak, any other suggestions, I dont know a lot about fwd ford options

...I'm struggling to think of ally-blocked engines suited to the task!
Likewise

What about a toyota 1zz or 2zz from the last celica? There was a european company called 'c2 power' offering parts for turbo conversions at good prices and they made GOOD power. 2zz revs to around 9k in standard form, and includes vct and v-tec style high-lift profile swap after x-rpm.
Nice option but I suspect it would blow the budget, will look into it though.

Thanks for the input
Old 04-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Rax
Any Volvo questions Chip I would speak to mad russell < I think thats right.The guy with the yellow t5
I know you know stuff but why resarch something new when you can ask a question.
Yeah, Im hoping he'll be at surrey RSOC meet tonight, he sometimes goes
If not I'll send him a message about it.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Turbosimpsons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

focus rs engine and box.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:51 AM
alistairolsen

Assuming parts bin commonality....

The T5 weighs 165kg including ancillaries (alt and starter but no pas or other crap) and the turbo, manifold (huge cast nonsense) etc. it wouldnt be unreasonable to assume a little more than 4/5s of this, so about 135-140kg?

The box should be the M56, which is physically bulky but otherwise a very heavily build box inside (pics in my build on VS) Russell was running standard ones until recently when he bought one brand new, unsure if its modified or not, but he was putting 500bhp through secondhand ones till the latest power increase afaik.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_M90_transmission

The T5 will do about 315ftlbs confidently (rica remap) after this peoples arses start twitching about the rods, so id guess a little lower for the T5 is the rods are similar. (different bore and stroke, unsure if rods are the same) hence my suggestion to change them.

Diffs here:

http://kalmar-union.com/parts/volvo-...-transmission/

bit more than the usual vauxhall fare but not by a lot (I suspect lack of SBS is the biggest difference!) and certainly available. Russell again might have a better source.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:53 AM
alistairolsen

Originally Posted by Chip

What transmission would it be on?
the v6 boxes are a bit heavy and the rst ones a bit weak, any other suggestions, I dont know a lot about fwd ford options
Have a look at the mazda stable too, the duratec has a mazda flange, not a ford one.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by a rs licker
focus rs engine and box.
Hmm, thats not a bad suggestion at all, and ironically even though Ive mapped them before etc wasnt something I had considered for some reason!
Although the downside to them is they are relatively heavy, and the turbo is at the front, so not really any better than say a vauxhall c20let motor which Ive got lieing around already in that respect.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by alistairolsen
Assuming parts bin commonality....

The T5 weighs 165kg including ancillaries (alt and starter but no pas or other crap) and the turbo, manifold (huge cast nonsense) etc. it wouldnt be unreasonable to assume a little more than 4/5s of this, so about 135-140kg?

The box should be the M56, which is physically bulky but otherwise a very heavily build box inside (pics in my build on VS) Russell was running standard ones until recently when he bought one brand new, unsure if its modified or not, but he was putting 500bhp through secondhand ones till the latest power increase afaik.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_M90_transmission

The T5 will do about 315ftlbs confidently (rica remap) after this peoples arses start twitching about the rods, so id guess a little lower for the T5 is the rods are similar. (different bore and stroke, unsure if rods are the same) hence my suggestion to change them.

Diffs here:

http://kalmar-union.com/parts/volvo-...-transmission/

bit more than the usual vauxhall fare but not by a lot (I suspect lack of SBS is the biggest difference!) and certainly available. Russell again might have a better source.

Thanks for that Ali.

Didnt realise that the T4 was essentially a T5 minus a cylinder, not an engine Ive ever had dealings with.

Will definately chat to Russ about them.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:03 AM
alistairolsen

The very same :P They also do a 2.0lpt which *may* be worth a look if you want an unstressed donor.

The bore and stroke are actually the same, I misread 83x90mm in both cases. (1.9 t4)

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/archiv...p/t-27700.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_Modular_engine
Old 04-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Chip

Wow, that looks very compact for the four cylinder lump!

Long shot but do you have a picture of it with the head off (to give an idea of block width), showing if the bores are close together or not.

*EDIT*
Just read on that link its 81mm for the 1.9 and 83mm for the 2.0 with thinner walls on the 2.0, so the 2.0 is probably the one to go for (lighter, more cc, and hopefully still strong enough for the mere 75bhp per cylinder I am after!) even though the 1.9 is favoured for massive power builds, as mine wont ever become one of those as its only a lightweight fwd trackday car so no point

How easy is 375bhp from a T5 lump? (hence 300 from 4 of the cylinders)

Last edited by Chip; 04-01-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:10 AM
dug112y
passionford pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

duratec would be on a fiesta st box.........a fiesta st challenge box could maybe be picked up with uprated internals...might be a tad over budget though.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:12 AM
dug112y
passionford pro

t5 lump essentially similar to focus st and focus rs so 375 is defo doable.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:14 AM
alistairolsen

That's a t5 with the cooling jacket dowelled. For more pics, Russ' build thread is worth a look.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:16 AM
alistairolsen

Originally Posted by dug112y
t5 lump essentially similar to focus st and focus rs so 375 is defo doable.
Well apart from the obvious missing cylinder aye. Depends what you mean by doable, but since that's not the topic of this thread....... 300bhp is definitely possible on a limited budget however. EDIT: just seen chip's edit above.... 375 from the 5 cyl motors isnt too hard, but uncommon as it needs rods and a turbo. Most folk with 850s tend to stop before the rods, very few bother going further but that's not to say its hard.

I suspect the engines suitability will be down to the weight of the box, which I'm afraid I dont know as I never intended to keep mine

Last edited by alistairolsen; 04-01-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:16 AM
dug112y
passionford pro

you should hear a N/A t5 engine....sounds awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvcv3...eature=related

Last edited by dug112y; 04-01-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:19 AM
alistairolsen

I'm sure Chip's will sound EXACTLY the same, even though it would be turbocharged, on a single throttle body and missing a cylinder and infact therefore sound almost exactly like every other ~2l 4 pot on the market.....
Old 04-01-2011, 11:19 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
Yeah have considered that, also the type r teg lump, although weight distribution on them is on wrong side for most uk circuits (engine sits passenger side)
but they rotate counter-clockwise which has the supposed benefit of less inertia when changing direction (opposite direction to wheels)
Old 04-01-2011, 11:20 AM
matts zetec s tdci
Regular Contributor

clio v6 ? just a thought i dont really no alot about engines just saw this 1 on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-CLIO-R...#ht_988wt_1139
Old 04-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by matts zetec s tdci
clio v6 ? just a thought i dont really no alot about engines just saw this 1 on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-CLIO-R...#ht_988wt_1139
V6 and lightweight tend not to go hand in hand, lol
Old 04-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Chip

you should hear a N/A t5 engine....sounds awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvcv3...eature=related
I'm sure Chip's will sound EXACTLY the same, even though it would be turbocharged, on a single throttle body and missing a cylinder and infact therefore sound almost exactly like every other ~2l 4 pot on the market.....
LOL

Yeah I would love the sound of a 300bhp TB'd 5 cylinder in there but sadly thats not an option weight wise or budget wise, so will be stuck with generic 4 cylinder turbo dullness lol.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:23 AM
matts zetec s tdci
Regular Contributor

lol fair enough
Old 04-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Chip

Is that the 81 or 83 bore in that picture?
And are those dowels standard or a go faster mod like on the Z20LET?
If so at what power do they tend to be required?

Last edited by Chip; 04-01-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:27 AM
alistairolsen

I cant confirm as I stole the pic from a rover forum where they were dicsussing block dowelling, but as its supposedly a t5 block and they were all 2.3s, I would guess its an 81mm block.

Like I said, Russ has some build pics in his thread which will tell you

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/proje...ml#post4184909

Last edited by alistairolsen; 04-01-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
but they rotate counter-clockwise which has the supposed benefit of less inertia when changing direction (opposite direction to wheels)
Well they certainly handle well, I love driving the teg's, so im sure you are right that its a benefit
Old 04-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Chip

I cant confirm as I stole the pic from a rover forum where they were dicsussing block dowelling, but as its supposedly a t5 block and they were all 2.3s, I would guess its an 81mm block.

Like I said, Russ has some build pics in his thread which will tell you
Wow, would certainly be very thin on 83mm bore then.
So definately going to be a nice compact engine either way, so just a case of deciding if I am going to trust so little material at 75bhp per cylinder or not.

As you say, info from Russ is what I need now to investigate this one further, so hopefully i'll see him tonight.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:38 AM
alistairolsen

It all depends how you try and map it tbh.

Loads of people told me when I started that Id never make 400 on standard rods, and I may yet prove them right, but an n/a t5 will happily rev to 7250 from what I can find, and the RICA remap is just a chip, no internal mods, gives 315ftlbs torque and no one reports failures of rods, they all report them when they fit a bigger turbo with a bigger midrange spike (big heavy car)

I cant figure out any reason why, mapped correctlyand with the correct turbo, I cant make 300ftlbs at 7krpm (400bhp). I also strongly suspect you need a power delivery closer to what I want than what the average roadgoing t5 driver does!

My suspicion is that the rod failures are nothing to do with the power, and everything to do with crazy midrange spikes to make a 1460kg car feel fast with 350bhp.

I know the 2.5 blocks are considered weaker for big power builds, so are almost never adopted in turbocharged form and I know at around the 500bh mark Russ replaced the liners with custom ones but I really dont think you will have a problem with 300bhp and a linear torque curve
Old 04-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Chip

Ps
Can only find a bare on on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volvo-99-00-1-...item1c182d390b

But its from a breakers and IME a bare engine from a breakers is normally similar price to what you can buy a complete engine from off a private person breaking a car, so am I right in thinking its only a 4-5 hundred quid engine when complete?
Old 04-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Chip

315lbft * 4/5 = 252lbft

I would be quite happy with 250lbft as the ceiling TBH mate, like you say I want a near linear delivery anyway, so was planning on keeping the whole torque curve as near to 200-250 as possible even if I had an engine that could do more!

So I just need to ask Russ if 375bhp is reliable on a 2.5 basically to decide which size to go for

Last edited by Chip; 04-01-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:43 AM
dug112y
passionford pro

there is an issue with the liners splitting on the t5 engines at higher power and on the focus st engines so i'd say its a valid concern but maybe just under your power threshold.
not sure if there is the same issue on a t4.

you can pick the engines up cheap as not that many people are after them.

Last edited by dug112y; 04-01-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Chip

there is an issue with the liners splitting on the t5 engines at higher power and on the focus st engines so i'd say its a valid concern but maybe just under your power threshold.
not sure if there is the same issue on a t4
I'm sure Russ can gen me up on the sort of failures to expect as I know he has a lot of experience tuning these engines
Old 04-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Chip

By the way Ali, with regards to turbos, im going to make the assumption the T4 and T5 volvo engines share the same flange, and possibly the same turbo too.

What turbo do the volvo boys use for 300, is there a standard one that does that happily?
Old 04-01-2011, 11:46 AM
alistairolsen

incidentally, there are a few good parts bin swaps like bigger throttle body butterdlys from n/a engines and coil on plug conversions from later cars if you want to keep it budget. You may also get lucky and find an OE cast manifold from a performance model which is good enough (depends how kind dewis is feeling I guess :P)

Yeah, Id reckon you could get a reasonable engine from that or less.

My reckoning with the locost is to buy complete 850s for around £500 and break them for half of that back, run the engine till it sticks a leg out of bed and fit another one. I guess it depends how much you care if an engine lets go vs the cost of pistons etc to do a rebuild.

For 300bhp, certainly for an initial stab at it, Id be lapping the valves and leaving the head, leaving the pistons and rings but perhaps if I was feeling that way inclined fitting rods and big ends, swap the head gasket and fit the engine. Fit the COP conversion, 960TB, new exhaust manifold and turbo and then map it and cross my fingers.

Quick Reply: Still trying to choose an engine and box (4K budget), also engine weights reference?