General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Still trying to choose an engine and box (4K budget), also engine weights reference?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by caprizetec170
Think you've all been overrating honda engines and boxes.
Well Ive driven and owned teg type r's so I know the diff works well and the change is nice, and ive seen plenty of them manage trackday abuse well on 300bhp or so too.
Not thinking they are idesctructable but certainly a LOT better than the clio box which im trying to avoid (hence looking for an engine swap) which ive personally borken about half a dozen of in the last couple of years with only 170bhp.

Millions of import type R's over here most are been broken due to either knackered box' bottom ends or drinking more oil than petrol even the turbo ones ive been in have been less than impressive nothing till well over 5k revs probably not best for track toy and you'll end up with a lot of weight infront of the wheels
Most of the turbo engines are shite cause they arent mapped properly.
Weight in front of the wheels for the engine itself seems to be less than just about any other engine if its only 160kg in total for the engine and box, my clio engine and box is more like 185kg.
turbo does sit forward, but its only a few kg, so although its a bad thing, its not the end of the world.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

I still think the VAG engine is the better choice, there's no way I'd be sticking a turbo'd Honda in our yellow car! Isn't the Honda a vertical engine? The VAG has the turbo on the rear and still leans backwards. I bet the Honda is a bit like the Rover T series where it sits will forwards when looking at engine location compared with strut tops.

Last edited by Martin-Hadland; 05-01-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:38 AM
caprizetec170
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know all about renault boxes chip me mate makes a living rebuilding and ya they really dont like sticky tyres
not sure about weights but id say 160kg is a bit light and what i ment by weight is they seem to sit more upright and more ahead of center line than other engines
height may be slight issue too newer ones are tall enough had some of these problems fitting one in a starlet hotrod
Old 05-01-2011, 09:39 AM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
Was looking at those last night as well, and also the F20C (which is expensive but awesome and can be fitted fairly easy to a fwd honda box as its a common conversion)
Not sure on physical space for the K20 though they look quite big, but I couldnt find any figures.
I've got a lovely laggy F20 engine here Chip if you want one

As for what Martin said, he is right, the Hondas may use a alloy block but they are far from light !
Old 05-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Martin-Hadland
I still think the VAG engine is the better choice, there's no way I'd be sticking a turbo'd Honda in our yellow car! Isn't the Honda a vertical engine? The VAG has the turbo on the rear and still leans backwards. I bet the Honda is a bit like the Rover T series where it sits will forwards when looking at engine location compared with strut tops.
Yes the extent to which they sit forwards relative to the original renault engine is definately a potential issue.

We've got a teg type R over at the farm where my workshop is with my blue clio in currently, so I will have a measure up relative to the driveshaft centre line (as thats what is going to dictate engine position).

This picture gives a good idea of how little space there is in front of my existing williams engine, even though its already leant back quite a long way.

Last edited by Chip; 05-01-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Yes the extent to which they sit forwards relative to the original renault engine is definately a potential issue.

We've got a teg type R over at the farm where my workshop is with my blue clio in currently, so I will have a measure up relative to the driveshaft centre line (as thats what is going to dictate engine position).

This picture gives a good idea of how little space there is in front of my existing williams engine, even though its already leant back quite a long way.

That engine cants backwards a little doesn't it? I reckon the Honda is a no go.
Edited to say I've just read your text and it does lean back.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Chip

Yeah I reckon that if it was sat upright I would lose probably in the region of 2", which when you only have a gap about 8" wide in the first place, is a big issue potentially.

On the other hand, at least i'd stand a chance of working down the back of the engine, which is a total cunt at the moment
If the engine sits forward more, but is 25kg lighter, the handling probably wont really be effected much either way as the two will cancel out to a certain extent, but will definately need to measure up and should then be able to decide fair easily if its a go'er or not.
I suspect you are correct though that it might not be
Old 05-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Chip

Volvo T5 lump leans back nicely, not sure if the T4 is the same, but would imagine so if its on the same box!

Old 05-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Chip

The K seems to sit back quite a lot.

Interestingly a mate of mine who is into hondas reckons that on the honda forums people claim the K is lighter than the B, which contradicts what is said in this thread.

will have to try and find a reliable weight out for the K.

downside of the K is that it doesnt have a LSD as standard but they are readily available aftermarket.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Joshy
Dreamer

id go volvo T4 if it were me to be honest.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Joshy
id go volvo T4 if it were me to be honest.
It does seem like a good option.

Must admit though, I do like honda engines, have had a couple of vtec's and fuck me they are indestructable even with a cunt like me driving them
Old 05-01-2011, 04:50 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

dont bother with the 1zz or 2zz toyota celica engines,my brother has killed one engine a year for the last 3 years!he's on his last rebuild before he calls it a day,but the std oil system is crap and requires a fair amount of work to make it reliable on track.
listen to the engine change note at 8:38
was the same weekend you were at the ring
http://vimeo.com/12029423
Old 05-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Chip

Ok mate, wasnt really on the list anyway TBH
Old 05-01-2011, 05:00 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by big_wig_074
dont bother with the 1zz or 2zz toyota celica engines,my brother has killed one engine a year for the last 3 years!he's on his last rebuild before he calls it a day,but the std oil system is crap and requires a fair amount of work to make it reliable on track.
Could be a pipe has come off

Just as bloody well that didn't let go all over the circuit as that would of caused some grip issues for others
Old 05-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Daviet
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know of a k series engine in a jazz so if it fit in that im sure it will be no problem in a clio.
can you not also use the bottom end of a crv engine with the type r heads and it makes it a 2.4
Old 05-01-2011, 05:05 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

even if the honda is vertical in hondas, does that mean you have would have to mount it vertically? unless the oilways dictate it, you could also cant it backwards if that helps.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:06 PM
rs-tuner
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by big_wig_074
and thats why i dont ride a bike on the ring any more
Old 05-01-2011, 05:10 PM
big_wig_074
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

chip:
i just saw someone recommend it on pg1 and you were saying it might not be bad.just thought id help a little

Originally Posted by JonnyBravo
Could be a pipe has come off

Just as bloody well that didn't let go all over the circuit as that would of caused some grip issues for others
he spilt a fair bit of coolant but not too bad,he coasted to within a few hundred feet of the exit,cost him 300 euros to get towed out!!!!!!!!!
its a pity theyre so unreliable as they go like fuck,think he was on for a 8 minute flat lap that time,engine is completely std bar a filter and full interior in the car!
the guy commenting about the "could just be a pipe" is a mate and doesnt know anything about cars,he had heard my boost pipe pop off earlier that day and thought it sounded the same.
my brother swore he heard the noise and turned off immediately,the video showed how time can be obscured when youre in panic mode
Old 05-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Daviet
i know of a k series engine in a jazz so if it fit in that im sure it will be no problem in a clio.
can you not also use the bottom end of a crv engine with the type r heads and it makes it a 2.4
I dont need it to be 2.4, not like im looking for massive power anyway.

300bhp would be fine.

Standard k + half a bar of boost and you are at that.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
even if the honda is vertical in hondas, does that mean you have would have to mount it vertically? unless the oilways dictate it, you could also cant it backwards if that helps.
Possibly, not really sure on that, would be a pain to do that then find it doesnt work due to oil not getting round the head properly and keep wrecking cams or similar, as I'd then have to start again with another engine.

plus the diff may end up too low
Old 05-01-2011, 05:25 PM
dug112y
passionford pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

going by some of the gear shifting on that video i think a lot of engines would struggle and quite possibly how he has broke 3 of them
Old 05-01-2011, 05:28 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by dug112y
going by some of the gear shifting on that video i think a lot of engines would struggle and quite possibly how he has broke 3 of them
Zero mechanical sympathy judging on that and screaming the revs on whilst the bottom end is having a moment to itself !
Old 08-01-2011, 04:13 PM
RickyLee53
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Decided to search for this after speaking with you earlier.

So what would I need to do for 300bhp?

Only B18 Ive ever owned is this one:

So as you can imagine I dont know much about turboing them as I went down the lag route instead

Standard rods in the type r were very good though, how do the C4 ones compare?

I'll obviously need exhaust manifold turbo and downpipe etc, inlet looks ok though (or will the ITR one fit?) what about pistons, are they silly high CR like the ITR or can I get away with a reasonable amount of boost on the standard internals if I use a big turbo so its mainly at the top end (ie not much torque)

If standard internals are happy at 270 for example, I wouldnt worry about the 300 target enough to pull it apart just for 30bhp, I was only quoting a ballpark not an exact figure.

Are they on solids still like the B18C5 in the teg?
Standard C4 and ITR rods are the same, few variations here and there but nothing that will effect you/strength. Pistons lend themselves to turbo in c4 as there lower comp. 300hp will be fine, 400 is doable for straight line stuff.

Wiki has good overview info on the B series engines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_B_engine

8100rpm and 10:1 compression on the one ricky is recomending, so it looks really suitable for a low boost high rpm screamer of a motor which would be ideal, thats almost as high as my nova revved and thats the standard limiter so im sure a couple hundred more can be had if required!

3071 on a .82 housing or something like that and keep the boost moderate and I reckon it could be REALLY good.
Bit worried about where the fuck the turbo would go though, the front of a clio bay is bloody tiny, probably need to mount it over the gearbox or something like that! At least that would move the weight back too, lol
You can rev to 8400 on a stock c4 without any issues, rod bolts/head won't like anything over 8700, but theres no need to rev that high.

Originally Posted by vroooom ptssssh
I've saw one turbo'd B18 in a civic, was pushing something like 340@wheels on 1.5 bar (I think, it was a while ago and we were pretty impressed with the power vs boost!)
It didn't last long though, wether it was due to being built incorrect or what I don't know but a liner dropped and that was the end of that. A liner with a top hat machined into it would solve that no prob though!

There's also the SR20DE/DET from the pulsar/200sx, all ally block.
Sounds like it had aftermarket liners, WAY overkill for the power, and usually like I always say, keep things simple, the stock liners would have been fine at that power. It probably did have tophat liners, but there are 2 deck surfaces with them, and probably only seated on 1. Anyway thats for another topic.

Well Ive driven and owned teg type r's so I know the diff works well and the change is nice, and ive seen plenty of them manage trackday abuse well on 300bhp or so too.
Not thinking they are idesctructable but certainly a LOT better than the clio box which im trying to avoid (hence looking for an engine swap) which ive personally borken about half a dozen of in the last couple of years with only 170bhp.

Most of the turbo engines are shite cause they arent mapped properly.
Weight in front of the wheels for the engine itself seems to be less than just about any other engine if its only 160kg in total for the engine and box, my clio engine and box is more like 185kg.
turbo does sit forward, but its only a few kg, so although its a bad thing, its not the end of the world.
Boxes are good, the C4 flywheel weighs a lot though, I didn't include this in the weights I gave (sorry) i'd replace with an aftermarket 5kg flywheel, and clutch while your at it. This will get you to the weight I said.

Possibly, not really sure on that, would be a pain to do that then find it doesnt work due to oil not getting round the head properly and keep wrecking cams or similar, as I'd then have to start again with another engine.

plus the diff may end up too low
Actually I think the head would be fine, the engine has got "cam ladders" with little oil holes, each cam lobe gets a small jet of oil, you'd have no oiling issues, but as you say the diff might give you the issue alone with the sump. A few degree's either way would be fine.

Another thing to note is they flow massive air, so spool is excellent, with an Evo turbo they spool earlier than an evo and make more power on lower boost.

A couple of graphs (stock engines)
Heres a b16 turbo with an Evo setup, boost control was set to drive well on the road with max traction, power/torque drops a little as it hits vtec, this minimises wheelspin, (no lsd and crap suspension setup). Also pulled the boost control at the rev limiter to stop it sitting on the limiter when wheelspinning.
Still you can see, excellent spool on the Evo turbo, 3500rpm's for full boost with no extra gain from the boost controller.

416hp, (was an overlay against his previous car, (ITR, with big cam's breather mods etc, he actually spent less on the turbo build)
It was running 1 bar of boost on a borg warner turbo (GT40 sized) 2.5 exhaust held back power. Note the difference in the 2 torque curves from the bottom end. Was built around 18 months ago and still going strong today.

Another B16 standard engine, mapped "normally" at 10psi (evo turbo)

Last edited by RickyLee53; 08-01-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Chip

Considering that my ideal target for being quick but also driving nicely would be a flat torque curve at 200lbft and enough revs to make 300bhp that last example really is exactly what I'm after.

Give me a few months to finish some other projects and I'll be in touch about a manifold.
Thanks for your time on the phone earlier, very interesting!
Old 10-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

chip have you decided on the engine you are wanting for your clio yet?

I am busting my ibiza cupra and would like to sell the running gear as a whole package or event he car as a whole if your interested, the motor is a decent spec with around 350bhp running on dta managment. Pm me if your interested
Old 10-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Chip

Yes mate, I have decided on the B18C4 now, thanks for the first refusal though