General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

52 grand yb lol

Search this Thread

Old 26-11-2010, 12:40 PM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just seems that chips putting down Mikes business for no reason? No real meed for it tbh
Old 26-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
See Ian's post, but no, you'd rather take a moral high-ground and belittle people and twist their words as you always do
Im not twisting anyone's words, you are, you tried to imply I had talked about your engine's headgasket when I hadnt for example.
You were calling me a hypocrit when I was being no such thing at all.

Its YOU that is doing what you are accusing me of Mike

You are assuming Im making assumptions rather ironically, but im not

However, to clarify: I too would not pay £53k for this engine and believe (and am entitled to), that I could get the same or better quality by using an alternative supplier. That is MY choice. If you or anyone else wished to go with JG, that is YOUR choice and I am not knocking it. I am just saying I think it is overpriced. We can all pay our money and make our own choices. So please don't resort to attempting to belittle me and my choices / opinions just because they do not suit your own.
Im pointing out that massive gaps between what you are quoting as the value of some of the parts and work involved and the actual cost, its not a matter of opinion, just a matter of fact.

It ALWAYS ends up being about you and YOUR assumptions of everyone else, which is just out of order.
Ive not made any assumptions, I have made observations.
I havent assumed you dont know what the costs involved in a custom made arrow crank are, I have made an assumption because YOU said its only 1500 quid, and thats simply not the case, thats an off the shelf YB crank not a custom one.

And as above, you arent actaully answering my questions, for the simple reason that you know that if you do, you will be shown up for what you are! (whatever that is, could be stupid or could be dishonest, im making no assumptions but its observably not a competition engine expert by the looks of it )

Why couldn't you just be pleasant and disagree like Ian and Steve have, it would be so much better for everyone else if the discussion could be kept pleasant?
Ironic coming from you, the only person in this thread to actually outright call anyone a name so far.

Last edited by Chip; 26-11-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 26-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dug112y
We don't even know if JG's is a package with support or 'some type' of guarantee( not usual in a race item). If these were costing him 20k to build and selling for 50k I am sure we will see him retiring to Marbella soon lol.
Well mike , get your equivalent spec motor built and let them test it... Am sure if it the same and as reliable all these rallycross champs would rather pay 30k than 50k per motor.... You never know it might turn into a profitable business.... Mile rainbird engineering'
My engine builder has built both rally, rallycross, and many various race championship engines , so how / why has this turned into what I could personally build, just because I questioned the pricing?

I pay someone else to do this - Chip builds all my engines .
Old 26-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by R5FORD
Just seems that chips putting down Mikes business for no reason? No real meed for it tbh
Its not for no reason at all.

Mike is trying to imply that buying from JG is equivalent to buying parts from him and should be priced accordingl, I am merely pointing out why that is NOT the case.

How many cranks do you think JG gets through before he decides to sell one?
Where as Mike just happily sells on anything that his suppliers sell.

There is NOTHING actually wrong with what mike is doing, ebay and forums and the net in general are full of lots of people all doing the same thing, but its NOT comparable to buying in high level competition engine building knowledge and the proven RIGHT parts.
Old 26-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Chip

My engine builder has built both rally, rallycross, and many various race championship engines , so how / why has this turned into what I could personally build, just because I questioned the pricing?
No one yet has actaully mentioned you being the person to bolt together the actual engine, Im sure that none of us think you would be attempting that.

I pay someone else to do this - Chip builds all my engines .
If I did, you would have been on an Arrow crank because its the right part, not on a farndon one because there is a better markup
Old 26-11-2010, 12:50 PM
dug112y
passionford pro

I work in a similar situation to JG. If a motor I build goes tits up it's not just the cost of the engine it's a full years championship...that they are putting hundreds of thousands into like team,transport,hotels,hospitality and reputation...down the pan. To be able to build and repeat the success of JG is something that most can only 'dream' about. It's not a trackday that you can say 'oh well ' I'll build it again ford donny trackday.
Old 26-11-2010, 12:50 PM
RANJ
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DKE make best cranks
Old 26-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Chip

I work in a similar situation to JG. If a motor I build goes tits up it's not just the cost of the engine it's a full years championship...that they are putting hundreds of thousands into like team,transport,hotels,hospitality and reputation...down the pan. To be able to build and repeat the success of JG is something that most can only 'dream' about. It's not a trackday that you can say 'oh well ' I'll build it again ford donny trackday.
Exactly!

Like I mentioned earlier, you are paying an insurance premium when you buy an engine from JG that you arent paying when you buy parts from Mike (or other people like him, nothing wrong with what he is doing just buying and selling bits to make a bit of money)
Old 26-11-2010, 12:53 PM
zippyobrien
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It's 'accountabilty' (racking my brains trying to think of the word)

A block of ally I machines recently was over 5k because it has tracabilty certs. I can get the same size block for under 400 from my local metal stockist. That's over 1000 % mark up.

Cost of the industry.
Old 26-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by Chip

Mike is trying to imply that buying from JG is equivalent to buying parts from him and should be priced accordingl, I am merely pointing out why that is NOT the case.

There is NOTHING actually wrong with what mike is doing, ebay and forums and the net in general are full of lots of people all doing the same thing, but its NOT comparable to buying in high level competition engine building knowledge and the proven RIGHT parts.
See Chip, you say that you aren't making assumptions, but the above is so far from the reality BECAUSE of you assumptions .

I DON'T BUILD ENGINES (YOU know that, so why are you talking as if I do ?). THEREFORE MY PRICES ARE NOT BASED ON ME SUPPLYING .

Also, I do NOT sell on "anything" that my suppliers sell . So you are wrong on all counts you have posted above - PLEASE stop stating your assumptions as if they are fact .

Last edited by Mike Rainbird; 26-11-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 26-11-2010, 12:54 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by RANJ
DKE make best cranks
No such company .
Old 26-11-2010, 12:55 PM
RANJ
BANNED
BANNED

Old 26-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Chip

See Chip, you say that you aren't making assumptions, but the above is so far from the reality BECAUSE of you assumptions .
What assumption? Detail it.
You are mistaken, I have made no assumption

I DON'T BUILD ENGINES . THEREFORE MY PRICES ARE NOT BASED ON ME SUPPLYING .
I know you dont build engines, Harvey does, and you liase with customers on his behalf as far as I am aware.
NOWHERE in this thread have I said or implied that you are capable of building an engine to a decent standard, I dont know of anyone who would believe that to be the case TBH

Also, I do NOT sell on anything that my suppliers sell . So you are wrong on all counts you have posted above - PLEASE stop stating your assumptions as if they are fact .
You dont sell anything that your suppliers sell?

You'll genuinely have to explain that to me.

Would you like to name something that one of your suppliers are prepared to sell to you that you wouldnt sell to me at a profit if I was looking for one?
Old 26-11-2010, 01:03 PM
dug112y
passionford pro

On the whole of it mike you can't build an engine of the spec or reliability to do the job for which the Julian Godfrey one is intended for 30k End of. If you can ' prove ' your point by doing so then I'll be at the front of the queue to congratulate you.
Btw call Harvey and ask what he would charge to build and supply a European, British and Norwegian championship winning rallycross engine
Old 26-11-2010, 01:05 PM
Chip

On the whole of it mike you can't build an engine of the spec or reliability to do the job for which the Julian Godfrey one is intended for 30k End of. If you can ' prove ' your point by doing so then I'll be at the front of the queue to congratulate you.
Btw call Harvey and ask what he would charge to build and supply a European, British and Norwegian championship winning rallycross engine

Old 26-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Why am I bothering ?

No I am not, I have already STATED that I believe I could get same / better from an alternative engine builder. So have not implied nor stated anything about buying parts from ME (that was YOUR assumption).

I would like to think that he is like me in that respect and once a supplier has proven to be shit, refuses to deal with them . I personally am quite specific with what suppliers I deal with and despite there being profit on many items, I won't sell a product I don't believe in. Also if there is a a product one of my suppliers provides that I don't believe in, I won't sell it.

Is that specific enough for you?

I have LOADS of things I wouldn't sell (well, maybe I would to you ), a few examples off the top of my head being:

The Quaife big-tooth gearkit. Quaife build MANY good parts, but this particular item isn't up to the task of big power - REMOVED from sale.

Castrol RS oil - not a proper fully synthetic, the molecules unwide at high temp (causing the oil to expand and blow out of the breather, thus given excessive consumption), it goes too thick when hot for a high revving YB and shears at high temp loosing most of it's protective properties - REMOVED from sale.
Old 26-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

I don't need to call him, I know - hence why I posted in the first place . If you wish to know this information as well, feel free to call him on 01733 576 614 .

One of the last ones he did was to replace a JG engine .......
Old 26-11-2010, 01:25 PM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

Why am I bothering ?

No I am not, I have already STATED that I believe I could get same / better from an alternative engine builder. So have not implied nor stated anything about buying parts from ME (that was YOUR assumption).

I would like to think that he is like me in that respect and once a supplier has proven to be shit, refuses to deal with them . I personally am quite specific with what suppliers I deal with and despite there being profit on many items, I won't sell a product I don't believe in. Also if there is a a product one of my suppliers provides that I don't believe in, I won't sell it.

Is that specific enough for you?

I have LOADS of things I wouldn't sell (well, maybe I would to you ), a few examples off the top of my head being:

The Quaife big-tooth gearkit. Quaife build MANY good parts, but this particular item isn't up to the task of big power - REMOVED from sale.

Castrol RS oil - not a proper fully synthetic, the molecules unwide at high temp (causing the oil to expand and blow out of the breather, thus given excessive consumption), it goes too thick when hot for a high revving YB and shears at high temp loosing most of it's protective properties - REMOVED from sale.
I hope the quaife gerkit will be ok at 450hp/400lbs
Old 26-11-2010, 01:27 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by steveboyslim
Mike,

You are still along way off on your prices, check with Cosworth on new head price, check with Tibuc for the price of their rallycross inlet with all the pipe work and ALS valves.
Your do well to get nimonic exhaust valves, stainless inlet valves, Kauffmann or Schmitthelm springs and retainers for £1k.
The billet dry sump and Auto verdi oil pump also cost alot more.

Steve
sorry quoted on wrong post lol

Last edited by ajamesc; 26-11-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 26-11-2010, 01:30 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Pectel SQ6 management £3.5k
Loom £700
Swedish roller barrel inlet plenum £3k
Nikasil wet linered 4x4 block with all machining £2k and oil jets etc
Ten stud kit £350
JG dry sump kit with girdle £4k
Arrow crank £1.5k
Sienz WRC rods £700
CP pistons £650
New head £1.5k
Machining, porting, guides, valves and WRC headgasket £1.8k
Cams, solid lifters and springs £1k
Custom Maram shafted turbo £2k
Primary designs inconnel manifold £2.5k
RS200 Evo wastegate £600
Plating, bearings etc £500
Mapping and fuel £1k
Labour to build engine £1.5k

Probably missed a few things but not £20k worth ?
Your well off on the price of that sump its £7800 for that set up and thats all the bits needed to fit it yourself but they will need the block as it needs to be modded and the sump is made to each block! and thats for a standard throw crank its more for a long throw one
Old 26-11-2010, 01:35 PM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Everyone seems to have fallen for a clever bit of cheap marketing by JG.

Anyone who is in the market for that kind of engine is hardly going to purchase it via ebay, they would be fully aware of his company and what it can do, and would deal direct. JG hardly need to reach out to the the normal ebayers for new business.

Companies like this never publish "real" prices for good reason, as they will tailor the cost to what they think the customer has to spend. Two different customers could end up with exactly the same engine, but you can guarantee if they compared bills they would be in for a shock.

By the power of the internet such an engine now has a ball park cost of 52k for ever more, but before the ebay advert I bet anyone other than a previous customer would have struggled to come up with an accurate figure.

If you turned up at the door with a bag of cash I bet you could go home with that engine for a lot more favourable price, and any other future customer can be told, "well as everyone knows these engines are 52k, but I am sure we can do a special deal just for you, but dont tell anyone else".

Its a win win situation - nobody disputes the quality of their work, so anyone who pays the full whack comes away thinking "premium product for a premium price", and anyone who gets it for less think they have had a bargain.
Old 26-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

I hope the quaife gerkit will be ok at 450hp/400lbs

I am talking MT75, we won't even talk about the T5 version .

So if it is a 4x4, start praying - "hope" won't cut it, as it's a negative . Will be alright for a short period, but if driven how intended, then expect it to shit itself .
Old 26-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by PAUL S
Everyone seems to have fallen for a clever bit of cheap marketing by JG.

Anyone who is in the market for that kind of engine is hardly going to purchase it via ebay, they would be fully aware of his company and what it can do, and would deal direct. JG hardly need to reach out to the the normal ebayers for new business.

Companies like this never publish "real" prices for good reason, as they will tailor the cost to what they think the customer has to spend. Two different customers could end up with exactly the same engine, but you can guarantee if they compared bills they would be in for a shock.

By the power of the internet such an engine now has a ball park cost of 52k for ever more, but before the ebay advert I bet anyone other than a previous customer would have struggled to come up with an accurate figure.

If you turned up at the door with a bag of cash I bet you could go home with that engine for a lot more favourable price, and any other future customer can be told, "well as everyone knows these engines are 52k, but I am sure we can do a special deal just for you, but dont tell anyone else".

Its a win win situation - nobody disputes the quality of their work, so anyone who pays the full whack comes away thinking "premium product for a premium price", and anyone who gets it for less think they have had a bargain.
It certainly got all us talking about it !
dug112y
passionford pro

I don't need to call him, I know - hence why I posted in the first place . If you wish to know this information as well, feel free to call him on 01733 576 614 .

One of the last ones he did was to replace a JG engine .......
In your opinion you know....your engine wouldn't last a day at a euro rallycross meet.
Who's JG engine was replaced exactly?
Chip

Paul, I think you would be surprised at how close to that 52K his competition customers are prepared to pay if you think that you'll get more than a few grand off?
Old 26-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Chip

Why am I bothering ?
Well you arent particuarly, you still havent detail how you think that 1800 you listed for the valve gear and headwork goes for example?

You just keep wandering off on little tangents and ignoring the direct questions asked of you.
Old 26-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Chip

I don't need to call him, I know
You know how much for a multiple high level rallycross championship winning engine which was the question you just answered?

Which car was that in then, as I must confess im not aware of any european rallycross championship winning YB that Harvey has ever built for example and would certainly be interested in hearing about one if he has? or is this just what he THINKS might be able to win in the right car, rather than one actually proven to have done so?
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by carlo
I can see a 10 pager coming up on this thread it has the ingredient's = Chip ,Mike + Danny anyone else with me ?

Totally!

Quite interesting though!
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

I am talking MT75, we won't even talk about the T5 version .

So if it is a 4x4, start praying - "hope" won't cut it, as it's a negative . Will be alright for a short period, but if driven how intended, then expect it to shit itself .
Mines 2wd so t5 lol a few guys on here run them at 450-500 and havnt had any issues
Old 26-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

In your opinion you know....your engine wouldn't last a day at a euro rallycross meet.
Who's JG engine was replaced exactly?
I personally think it would, however, as you are making assumptions about my engine, what do you think would fail and why?

You would need to ask Harvey that, as it was last year and I can't remember .

Last edited by Mike Rainbird; 26-11-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 26-11-2010, 01:46 PM
joffy
SLOW LEARNER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, its like buying a house, £320k for a house is a lot of money, I'd imagine you could buy some cheaper bricks cement plaster etc for a third of the price, but I'd rather pay the extra as someone who knows what they are doing has put it together right with the right materials, yes he's charging a premium and I could do it cheaper but that's cos he knows what he's doing and used the right parts!
Old 26-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Chip

I personally think it would, however, as you are making assumptions about my engine, what do you think would fail and why?
I think it would fail to be competitive, on the basis that I doubt its high enough compression ratio to make proper use of the fuels involved in that level of competition, but being in a lower state of tune would no doubt fair it well for finishing at least

Road engine and race engine have different requirements, I would say that any road engine capable of winning a high level rallycross event was by definition a bad road engine
Old 26-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

You know how much for a multiple high level rallycross championship winning engine which was the question you just answered?

Which car was that in then, as I must confess im not aware of any european rallycross championship winning YB that Harvey has ever built for example and would certainly be interested in hearing about one if he has? or is this just what he THINKS might be able to win in the right car, rather than one actually proven to have done so?

Get on the phone to him and ask - I can't remember, but it was one of the Scandinavian countries. It was about a year ago (might be even longer, you know how time flies ) . Defo after the restrictor regs came in .
Old 26-11-2010, 01:55 PM
dug112y
passionford pro

I personally think it would, however, as you are making assumptions about my engine, what do you think would fail and why? .
But you are going to say that after your claims doh.
It would be impossible to say what would fail but I think it would be off the pace also but that's my opinion.
Old 26-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

I think it would fail to be competitive, on the basis that I doubt its high enough compression ratio to make proper use of the fuels involved in that level of competition, but being in a lower state of tune would no doubt fair it well for finishing at least

Road engine and race engine have different requirements, I would say that any road engine capable of winning a high level rallycross event was by definition a bad road engine

He didn't say that it would fail to be competitive, he said he thought my engine "wouldn't last a day". The fact that it is lumbered to a 1500kg road shell would somewhat limit it's competiveness.

However, I would be interested in hearing what part of the engine he thinks would be the weak link?
Old 26-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Chip

Mike, if you read what I said, I was defending your engine in terms of its ability to finnish.

Acedemic though as your engine almost certainly would be allowed to enter in the first place, no restrictor etc

Personally the link I think WOULD fail if your engine was left broadly as it was and then retuned for rallycross would be the turbo as I think your EGT's would be too high on race fuel with your low comp and the amount of antilag it would need to be running etc.

But I dont think that makes it a bad road engine, as I said, different things, I would love your engine if someone gave it to me

Last edited by Chip; 26-11-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Old 26-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

But you are going to say that after your claims doh.
It would be impossible to say what would fail but I think it would be off the pace also but that's my opinion.
Considering that my engine has MANY parts that would have been considered top of the tree of rally-cross only a few years ago, I think that you're making a sweeping statement that you WANT to be true .

But if you're so sure, why not start comparing internals with such cars .
Old 26-11-2010, 02:04 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Mines 2wd so t5 lol a few guys on here run them at 450-500 and havnt had any issues
mad ad runs a big tooth t5 at 700bhp and around 600lb ft so u have no worrys in a road car!
Old 26-11-2010, 02:04 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Mike, if you read what I said, I was defending your engine in terms of its ability to finnish.

Acedemic though as your engine almost certainly would be allowed to enter in the first place, no restrictor etc
Well they run restrictors now which basically limits power to around 550bhp....

However, I am not sure about capacity limits?
Old 26-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by ajamesc
mad ad runs a big tooth t5 at 700bhp and around 600lb ft so u have no worrys in a road car!
Although he does, he isnt expecting it to last.

But 450 on a big tooth rwd box certainly will be in with a good chance

Quick Reply: 52 grand yb lol