General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

52 grand yb lol

Search this Thread

Old 26-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Turbosimpsons
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just a question to all you people on here. would that that jg engine last a full season or would it need to be re-built as the season goes on. also is there any waranty (could not spell guarante)on a engine like this.
Old 26-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
That's because mine has no limiting factors. As soon as you cap an engine, the parts required to make the same power are no longer the same. There is no point me comparing my engine to the JG one on ebay, as it is a completely different kettle of tuna. I am not running a restrictor, so can achieve the power with relative ease. I am not running race fuel, so my compression is relatively low.

However, with a few simple spec changes, I know my engine could be made competitive. However, I am unsure of the reasoning behind the dry sump set-up, as (NMS) Karl did a very detailed reasoning as to why you don't need this on a YB and it seems to add a considerable cost for very little potential gain, with plenty of potential catastrophic reliability issues (especially given the surface these cars race on)?

Anyway, a good bit of Friday fun .

The dry sump JG sells is not a normal kit it repalces all the main caps to tie the bottom end together to stop the caps floating at high power and revs.

Mark
Old 26-11-2010, 05:51 PM
dug112y
passionford pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by a rs licker
just a question to all you people on here. would that that jg engine last a full season or would it need to be re-built as the season goes on. also is there any waranty (could not spell guarante)on a engine like this.
it will get stripped and checked at a scheduled intervals.....i would say no warranty but some kind of support.
Old 26-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Shead
The dry sump JG sells is not a normal kit it repalces all the main caps to tie the bottom end together to stop the caps floating at high power and revs.

Mark
That sounds a lot like the Millington set up...
Old 26-11-2010, 06:15 PM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

Mike, some quality responses from you to rods goading (on iPhone so canny be arsed to quote)

Don't rise to these mongchildren!
Old 26-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Mark
Mmmmm, seems a bit extreme for a restricted engine, especially with the risk of the belt jumping off and losing the entire engine . How come you haven't considered this for Rod's engine with the amount of power and torque this runs?

Or is it that you have an easier way to do this without going dry sump?
Old 26-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Mmmmm, seems a bit extreme for a restricted engine
Mike, its over 600lbft, and its SOLE purpose in life is to be driven as hard as possible, I dont think its a bit extreme at all, I think its cheap insurance, even at 8k
Old 26-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Mmmmm, seems a bit extreme for a restricted engine, especially with the risk of the belt jumping off and losing the entire engine . How come you haven't considered this for Rod's engine with the amount of power and torque this runs?

Or is it that you have an easier way to do this without going dry sump?

I looked at it for another engine I am doing but discounted it on cost as being a road engine we wont be seeing the same amount of abuse that makes it worthwhile to fit one.

Mark
Old 26-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by Chip
Mike, its over 600lbft, and its SOLE purpose in life is to be driven as hard as possible, I dont think its a bit extreme at all, I think its cheap insurance, even at 8k
Pretty low compared to Rod's with the nitros.....?
Old 26-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

I looked at it for another engine I am doing but discounted it on cost as being a road engine we wont be seeing the same amount of abuse that makes it worthwhile to fit one.

Mark
So what did you use instead?
Old 26-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Chip

Pretty low compared to Rod's with the nitros.....?
Rods is 666 without, so definately running a lot more than that with nitrous, probably 800lbft potentially.

Only a couple of dozens seconds blast though, not a season of rallycross, so higher loads but not the same sort of dutycycles.
Old 26-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Danny @ Enhanced Performance
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG,this thread has moved on!!!cant believe some people actually think jg pays that much money for the parts used on this??
I can get an arrows crank made to any spec for £1700
I can get arrows rods to any spec for £900
I can get the complete girdle kit with pump for £4k and thats with julian earning from me still + block machining with gosney engineering for £400 to line bore the mains
I cant say what the turbo costs but il gaurantee it wont cost jg £6k!!!
As for the head,jg does all the machining himself i believe so thats labour time..
I bought a brand new head casting from cosworth a few years back and had new seats nimonic over sized valves,shcmit springs,solid lifters,big ports etc by niel roper and my whole head with cams cost me just over £4k all in and is good for whatever power you want!!!
I can have any engine loom made in military spec for £700..

The engine in question certainly is top notch but still no where near £53k worth as i still believe this would cost jg around £30-£35k max to build ...

Theres no doubting jgs ability to build an engine but then so can many other engine builders and for far less and if you dont think he is expensive then give a good reason why a grp a clubmans spec engine is 18k+ the vat????
The same engine that i know for a fact can be built for around £5k and still earn money..

Everyone can have thier opinion on the matter and of course can pay whatever they fancy but even if i was rich i wouldnt pay that for any yb engine as i know for a fact its well overpriced!!!!

cheers danny
Old 26-11-2010, 06:44 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Its not £8k!!!

cheers danny
Old 26-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Danny @ Enhanced Performance
Its not £8k!!!

cheers danny

Was going by the retail price ive seen bandied about of 7800iirc.

At 4K trade price its even cheaper insurance, although bear in mind there are machining costs ascociated as well you dont just bolt it on.
Old 26-11-2010, 06:58 PM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

I think we ALL know that £53k is WELL overpriced! Some people are just being utterly pedantic and argumentative, no cunts named!

I'm not fucking stupid by any stretch of the imagination when it comes to prices / research (It's my job you cunts before you start! ) as knobby as I can be on here...

If he gets £53k then fair play. My estimate for this engine is about 35 big ones. Give or take a couple of grand. (probably long rather than short!)

Last edited by DaveEscos; 26-11-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 26-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

At 4K trade price its even cheaper insurance, although bear in mind there are machining costs ascociated as well you dont just bolt it on.

The sump was £3950 pump £1713.72 plus vat based on a price on the 4th of this year, This is without the machining and brackets which add another £1k and thats without the connectors/pipes/tank.

Mark
Old 26-11-2010, 07:02 PM
dug112y
passionford pro

danny no one is doubting what it costs julian to build it. but in retail costs and what he has to sell it for to cover everything and make money its obviously 50k as thats what its advertised at.

are you going to say you can build an engine to this spec and to do the job this one does and make moneyfor 30k?? not having a dig ..serious question mate
Old 26-11-2010, 07:03 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Yes iv seriously considered this but jg says it isnt needed on mine and only on rallycross engines with over 650lb ft!!!

The reason he designed it was for 1000 hp capabilities and of course trying to keep a 3 bar of boost rx engine together!!!lol
Imo rods engine would benefit from this if he was going to do countless runs but believe he wont and once de tuned wont need it any way...
After 600lb ft jg says the crank is trying to escape the block from the left rear main cap but with a counter balanced crank this will be a reduced worry hence why im going with a new billet crank...

As for the machining costs,gossney engineering have quoted around £400 to line bore the mains etc..

cheers danny
Old 26-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Chip

The sump was £3950 pump £1713.72 plus vat based on a price on the 4th of this year, This is without the machining and brackets which add another £1k and thats without the connectors/pipes/tank.

Mark
So yeah 8K doesnt sound too far out.

Maybe Danny is just thinking about the basic girdle structure and forgetting the rest of maybe he gets massive discount with JG if he can do the whole lot all in including all the pipework and tanks etc for the 4k he mentions.
Old 26-11-2010, 07:10 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by dug112y
danny no one is doubting what it costs julian to build it. but in retail costs and what he has to sell it for to cover everything and make money its obviously 50k as thats what its advertised at.

are you going to say you can build an engine to this spec and to do the job this one does and make moneyfor 30k?? not having a dig ..serious question mate
In all honesty i wouldnt know what ingredients to work with for rx engine as iv never done one but if jg said use this use that then of course i would be able too..

As said by some one else the egts and cr is the hardest thing to get right and of course the turbo needs to do things that none of us experience as to do 3 bar boost continously with a restrictor and als must mean stupid egts and tbh i wouldnt know what to do to keep all that under control and still keep working..

The engine in question doesnt have all the tanks and fittings for the sump kit so not in my price list and when i priced it i dont need all those things as i have them also i can get sump and pump for £4k as iv asked!!

cheers danny
Old 26-11-2010, 07:12 PM
dug112y
passionford pro

answered in dannys last post.

good answer mate...if you ever have to build one and need advice give rainman a call lol

Last edited by dug112y; 26-11-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 26-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Chip

The engine in question doesnt have all the tanks and fittings for the sump kit so not in my price list and when i priced it i dont need all those things as i have them also i can get sump and pump for £4k as iv asked!!
Fair point about that not containing the drysump ancillieries on that engine, Im sure they will be in addition to the price paid for the engine.
Old 26-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Fair point about that not containing the drysump ancillieries on that engine, Im sure they will be in addition to the price paid for the engine.

The sump/pump and brakets are on it so thats near 7k.

Mark
Old 26-11-2010, 07:20 PM
BANNED
BANNED

The sump/pump and brakets are on it so thats near 7k.

Mark
Not to me!!!!!and especially not to julian!!!!he makes the girdle himself ffs!!!

cheers danny
Old 26-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Not to me!!!!!and especially not to julian!!!!he makes the girdle himself ffs!!!

cheers danny

The quote I have is direct from him and thats the cost.

Mark
Old 26-11-2010, 07:26 PM
dug112y
passionford pro

Originally Posted by JonnyBravo
I heard the sump pan alone was 3k

If Mike can build it for 30k Danny can probably build it for 15k !

Joke btw
may have been joke but its ending up true
Old 26-11-2010, 07:28 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Mark
Thats because he is the only man you can buy it from and you dont do regular business with him where as a very good friend of mine does!!

Its not an argument about what some thing retails at or what some one can get it for its an argument about what an engine is worth based on what its cost someone to build..

If you buy a rolex of the high street its x amount of £££s if you go to harrods and buy the same rolex its dearer!!!!its no fucking different though!!

Julian designed these girdles for himself for the pleasure of keeping big hp in one piece now if you want to do the same thing hes going to charge full stop!!!lmao.

cheers danny
Old 26-11-2010, 07:28 PM
dug112y
passionford pro

Mark
well mark next time you need one danny will get you it for 4k, save yourself a couple of quid mate
Old 26-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

well mark next time you need one danny will get you it for 4k, save yourself a couple of quid mate

Old 26-11-2010, 07:36 PM
BANNED
BANNED

may have been joke but its ending up true
My engine from jg is circa £45k!!!i did it for £22k..

If you called me and said how much for an engine the same as yours id say £25k all in

If any one doubts my engine thats fine but its been in my car since feb 2007 and came out in jan 2010 as i was worried what wear there would be..
The nikel coated rings were still a gold colour with no wear marks and the bigs and mains were bronzed on the rear main and no 4 big on the left hand side..
I got niel roper to go through the head for me and spent £400 on odds and ends to make it better than the first time he had done it..

Thats all my engine has needed in nearly four years ..

cheers danny
Old 26-11-2010, 07:39 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Mate for some reason they could get a good deal on the hart plenums at the drop of the hat from me but go in an arse about face way of getting them!!!lol

cheers danny
Old 26-11-2010, 07:49 PM
OldDan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am unsure of the reasoning behind the dry sump set-up, as (NMS) Karl did a very detailed reasoning as to why you don't need this on a YB and it seems to add a considerable cost for very little potential gain, with plenty of potential catastrophic reliability issues (especially given the surface these cars race on)?

Link to this please?
Old 26-11-2010, 07:59 PM
dug112y
passionford pro

PASSIONFORD...building business relationships....
Old 26-11-2010, 08:01 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

answered in dannys last post.

good answer mate...if you ever have to build one and need advice give rainman a call lol
It seems I have a better idea of what can be done than you do, as Danny is coming back with the same kind of realistic figures as I am saying it could be built for, yet you are just accepting the figure of £53k . And as you seem to still think I am an engine builder - I could build an engine like this that would make twice the power (with a 34mm restrictor) and cost £7.50

Would you also like to buy this MT75 gearbox I have for sale - its £15k. Don't worrry, it could be built up for under £5k, but is a special R&B one, which has been blessed by the pope and I sware JG looked at it once .

Anyway, all good publicity for JG - I bet the amount of people that have viewed his ebay post has quadrupled .
Old 26-11-2010, 08:03 PM
dug112y
passionford pro

My engine from jg is circa £45k!!!i did it for £22k..

If you called me and said how much for an engine the same as yours id say £25k all in

If any one doubts my engine thats fine but its been in my car since feb 2007 and came out in jan 2010 as i was worried what wear there would be..
The nikel coated rings were still a gold colour with no wear marks and the bigs and mains were bronzed on the rear main and no 4 big on the left hand side..
I got niel roper to go through the head for me and spent £400 on odds and ends to make it better than the first time he had done it..

Thats all my engine has needed in nearly four years ..

cheers danny
good advert then eh. i remember one of the engines from the scottish saloons went brilliant for few years with only the sump getting dropped every few hours to check wear on shells ...it was 540bhp iirc.
Old 26-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Originally Posted by OldDan
Link to this please?
Use the search feature, as that is what I would have to do . Chip may be able to find it a bit quicker if you ask him nicely .
Old 26-11-2010, 08:12 PM
dug112y
passionford pro

It seems I have a better idea of what can be done than you do, as Danny is coming back with the same kind of realistic figures as I am saying it could be built for, yet you are just accepting the figure of £53k . And as you seem to still think I am an engine builder - I could build an engine like this that would make twice the power (with a 34mm restrictor) and cost £7.50

Would you also like to buy this MT75 gearbox I have for sale - its £15k. Don't worrry, it could be built up for under £5k, but is a special R&B one, which has been blessed by the pope and I sware JG looked at it once .

Anyway, all good publicity for JG - I bet the amount of people that have viewed his ebay post has quadrupled .
no actually,danny is saying what he can buy the bits for and build an engine similar spec but as he said he wouldnt know where to start with building an engine to do what the JG one does ,compression,egt etc. i know your not an engine builder...thank fuck. why would i want a mt75 gearbox exactly? i wouldnt buy it off you anyway ....it would be too dear....i would get a proper gearbox builder to build me one.....like you would do then try to sell it to me for an inflated price....
Old 26-11-2010, 08:23 PM
BANNED
BANNED

no actually,danny is saying what he can buy the bits for and build an engine similar spec but as he said he wouldnt know where to start with building an engine to do what the JG one does ,compression,egt etc. i know your not an engine builder...thank fuck. why would i want a mt75 gearbox exactly? i wouldnt buy it off you anyway ....it would be too dear....i would get a proper gearbox builder to build me one.....like you would do then try to sell it to me for an inflated price....
To be fair mate mike is quite a clever fella and can spec an engine pretty well..
He also trys to find good products to sell and pass them on to fellow enthusiasts at a fair price...
Theres no point in arguing over what one another thinks is there when the facts are simple..
Jgs engines very well built and he is well respected for building a very strong engine but theres no doubt he is way to dear for most people..

cheers danny
Old 26-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Chip

To be fair mate mike is quite a clever fella and can spec an engine pretty well..
Yeah Ive noticed Harvey phones him for advice all the time

He also trys to find good products to sell and pass them on to fellow enthusiasts at a fair price...
Ive bought from Mike before and im sure I will again at some point, he's an easy guy to do business with
Old 26-11-2010, 08:56 PM
dug112y
passionford pro

i know mike has a good clue when it comes to all things cossie .. i have not disputed that and there is no arguing its only a friendly discussion p.s still wouldnt give him 15k for that mt75 though

Last edited by dug112y; 26-11-2010 at 08:59 PM.

Quick Reply: 52 grand yb lol