General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

DVLA are a bunch of useless wankers

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 10:05 AM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default DVLA are a bunch of useless wankers

Car tax ran out on 30th September and as I've been away with work I haven't been here to re tax the car. Went to tax it today, Oh, I haven't got the V5, I've only the new keeper slip?
Ring DVLA
ME "look I need to re tax the car, I sent the V5 to you for change of keeper but you haven't sent it back so I can't tax my car"

DVLA"yes sir our records show we received it 24th April and have changed the keeper to you etc but for some reason a new V5 was never presented. You'll have to go to the post office and reapply for a logbook by getting a V62 form"

ME "well what do I do about taxing my car as I'm working away and have the car with me, which isn't taxed, I need to go home tomorrow and can't drive it cos I've got no tax? The logbook will take weeks to come through"

DVLA "then you need to go to your nearest DVLA office to tax the car"

ME "my nearest office is 30 miles away and I have NO WAY OF GETTING THERE AS MY CAR ISNT TAXED! Can't you give me a document reference number over the phone so I can tax it online?"

DVLA "NO. We can't give that information over the phone."

ME "What can I possibly do with that information apart TAX MY CAR! That's what you want, thats what I want, why can't you be more helpful?"

DVLA " I'm sorry sir the only way is to go to a DVLA office and get it over the counter with the new keep supplement or apply for a new logbook with a V65 and get tax in the meantime by post with a V10"

ME "BUT THAT WILL TAKE WEEKS! I NEED TO TAX MY CAR TODAY AS I'M WORKING AWAY AND NEED TO DRIVE MY CAR HOME!

DVLA " Nothing we can do I'm afraid. You should have got a reminder anyway and taxed the car before you went away"

ME "I DIDN'T EVEN GET A REMINDER! YOU DIDN'T SEND ME ONE, OTHERWISE I WOULD HAVE A REMINDER WITH A NO. TO USE ONLINE TO TAX IT!" Hold on is the car actually registered to me? Thsi seems a little odd.

DVLA" I can't give you that information over the phone"

ME "so basically your telling me you have fucked up, received my V5 for change of keeper, your records show that on the 24th April, but you never sent me a V5 and changed the keeper.

DVLA "we did change the address but not the Keepers name, the V5 was sent back to us. Theres nothing more I can do, you need to follow the routes i gave you."

SO basically I'm fucked because they have messed up!

Anyone else had this?
Old 05-10-2010, 10:33 AM
coupecoupe
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a similar issue when we bought a car that had disabled tax on it.
you have to go to an office to change it over (or fill in paper work to change taxation class and then apply for tax), the car actually had a valid tax disc (but wasn't displaying it as the previous owner had kept it), and we got stopped by north wales police for not displaying.
Police didn't prosecute, but had to pass details onto dvla... who then fined us over Ł80.
It was near the end of the month, but we taxed the car from the start of that month, yet still got the fine.
We'd bought the car the night before, and had to go out to wales to collect my daughter from her nan who'd gone to the caravan for the weekend (daughter wasn't well). My car had a fault, so we had to use the new car.
Police were quite understanding.... DVLA are useless idiots with more red tape and policies than they know what to do with. Idiots!!
If you were to Book it in for MOT... are you covered to drive with no tax to the MOT station? (i can't remember - you'll need to check)
If so, you could either drive it home on the strength of this (which is taking the piss a little if you're the other end of the country lol), or drive to DVLA office on this.
Whether you already have Mot or not doesn't matter, you can still book it in (tell them it's expired)... then just cancel.

Good luck
Old 05-10-2010, 10:36 AM
cjwood555
Advanced PassionFord User

Essentially it's a matter of contract. You've taken all resonable steps to comply with the your side of the deal. They haven't and are in default. You would therefore be acting in good faith by carrying on driving and sorting it when you're home.

Alternatively, drive to the DVLA office un-taxed and attempt to tax it there. You'd win in court. If stopped by police try explaining politely, then if they are arses say that it's a civil matter and you do not require their assistance.

Chris
Old 05-10-2010, 10:40 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

the dvla are a law unto themselves and basicly they won't help you no matter how much proof you have that you are in the right and they are in the wrong, you'd have more chance of winning if it were a court summons but in this case you have to do as they have said

but make sure you take ALL your documentation with you because they don't accept anything other than the original stuff, i found that out to my cost as well due to the same disabled tax thing so even though i taxed the car from the start of the month, and was charged for it, i couldn't actually use it for 3 weeks because they had to fill in all the forms and send them to me
Old 05-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Nash
Cake lover!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

DVLA there fuck up is your problem, nothing will ever change.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:48 AM
s2turbsZVH
Will it ever end !!!!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cjwood555
Essentially it's a matter of contract. You've taken all resonable steps to comply with the your side of the deal. They haven't and are in default. You would therefore be acting in good faith by carrying on driving and sorting it when you're home.

Alternatively, drive to the DVLA office un-taxed and attempt to tax it there. You'd win in court. If stopped by police try explaining politely, then if they are arses say that it's a civil matter and you do not require their assistance.

Chris
+1 definately they way forward
Old 05-10-2010, 10:51 AM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

I know. I'm going to drive it and if I get stopped so be it. They have the conversation recored of me trying my hardest to tax it, even offered to pay over the phone there and then.

I even said to him, so your telling me you can't even waiver my car on the no tax database to drive my car to the DVLA office to get it taxed? And he said, No, the cars not taxed. You can't drive it or have it parked on a public highway or you will be committing an offense until you physically have the tax and display it in the window.

Thanks very much!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:04 AM
the mk1 kid
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by muz
I know. I'm going to drive it and if I get stopped so be it. They have the conversation recored of me trying my hardest to tax it, even offered to pay over the phone there and then.

I even said to him, so your telling me you can't even waiver my car on the no tax database to drive my car to the DVLA office to get it taxed? And he said, No, the cars not taxed. You can't drive it or have it parked on a public highway or you will be committing an offense until you physically have the tax and display it in the window.

Thanks very much!
What a bunch of unhelpful incompetent muppets they really are - that sucks Muz!

I'd drive there, sod it!

Tom
Old 05-10-2010, 11:09 AM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

It's the hassle of having to take a morning off work to drive a 60 odd mile round trip because they have messed up. Really can't believe how unhelpful they are!
Old 05-10-2010, 11:16 AM
rickbartlett
G911 TTA

cant u tax it with the green new keeper bit mate? ive done it many times at a post office with the green bit
Old 05-10-2010, 11:23 AM
muz
Wye Valley Hardcore

No. It's only valid for 8weeks after they receive the V5, so you can buy a car and send away for the V5 in your name and re-tax the car if it doesn't come back in time.
The new V5 will carry a new Document Reference Number to the old New Keeper Slip as its a new document for you as the owner.
As they received the V5 from me on the 24th April and issued a new V5 (in the wrong name from what I can gather which was never sent to to me) the reference number has now changed form my new keeper slip so I can't tax it in any other way than go to a DVLA office or apply for a new log book, which no doubt, they will charge me for
Old 05-10-2010, 11:41 AM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What a load of bollocks, they have a customer phoning them trying to give them money and they wont take it in exchange for a tax disc
Old 05-10-2010, 11:46 AM
dojj

don't count on them being helpful in trying to save you the hassle if you get caught with no tax, he fines peole are a totaly different company that deal with that, i had a letter , from the dvla, that said they had recieved my sorn for a car, and when i sent it to he llp they said it wasn't enough proof

cunts
Old 05-10-2010, 12:34 PM
SiZT
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

DVLA = Cunts who change the rules every 5mins. You can get some good people on the phone, but every person will tell you a different thing.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:39 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by muz
Ring DVLA
You make that sound so easy?! I've just had to try three different numbers and go through a minimum of 4 options on each number to reach a human being that could advise me of a Personal Plate query that I had.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 05-10-2010, 02:21 PM
dojj

cameron needs to do something about the dvla once he's got off his horse about budget cuts
Old 05-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

Police do not care about tax.
Old 17-06-2012, 11:13 AM
DVLA ARE TOSSERS
DVLA ARE WANKERS

Originally Posted by muz
Car tax ran out on 30th September and as I've been away with work I haven't been here to re tax the car. Went to tax it today, Oh, I haven't got the V5, I've only the new keeper slip?
Ring DVLA
ME "look I need to re tax the car, I sent the V5 to you for change of keeper but you haven't sent it back so I can't tax my car"

DVLA"yes sir our records show we received it 24th April and have changed the keeper to you etc but for some reason a new V5 was never presented. You'll have to go to the post office and reapply for a logbook by getting a V62 form"

ME "well what do I do about taxing my car as I'm working away and have the car with me, which isn't taxed, I need to go home tomorrow and can't drive it cos I've got no tax? The logbook will take weeks to come through"

DVLA "then you need to go to your nearest DVLA office to tax the car"

ME "my nearest office is 30 miles away and I have NO WAY OF GETTING THERE AS MY CAR ISNT TAXED! Can't you give me a document reference number over the phone so I can tax it online?"

DVLA "NO. We can't give that information over the phone."

ME "What can I possibly do with that information apart TAX MY CAR! That's what you want, thats what I want, why can't you be more helpful?"

DVLA " I'm sorry sir the only way is to go to a DVLA office and get it over the counter with the new keep supplement or apply for a new logbook with a V65 and get tax in the meantime by post with a V10"

ME "BUT THAT WILL TAKE WEEKS! I NEED TO TAX MY CAR TODAY AS I'M WORKING AWAY AND NEED TO DRIVE MY CAR HOME!

DVLA " Nothing we can do I'm afraid. You should have got a reminder anyway and taxed the car before you went away"

ME "I DIDN'T EVEN GET A REMINDER! YOU DIDN'T SEND ME ONE, OTHERWISE I WOULD HAVE A REMINDER WITH A NO. TO USE ONLINE TO TAX IT!" Hold on is the car actually registered to me? Thsi seems a little odd.

DVLA" I can't give you that information over the phone"

ME "so basically your telling me you have fucked up, received my V5 for change of keeper, your records show that on the 24th April, but you never sent me a V5 and changed the keeper.

DVLA "we did change the address but not the Keepers name, the V5 was sent back to us. Theres nothing more I can do, you need to follow the routes i gave you."

SO basically I'm fucked because they have messed up!

Anyone else had this?
THE DVLA ARE BEYOND A JOKE. USELESS ARSEHOLES. EVERYONE SHOULD SEND THEM 100 E MAILS AND IT'S EASY TO DO JUST FILL IN THIS AND IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE TO BE A CORRECT E MAIL. PLEASE DO IT. I HATE THE DLVA . YOU GET NO SENSE FROM ANYONE THERE AND SOMETHING SHOULD BE DONE ABOUT THEIR STAFF AND BOSSES, TOTALLY F---ING USELESS

https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emai...dback_108.html
Old 17-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Adam.
Needs Beer Tokens.....

You can use the green slip to tax the car mate.
Old 17-06-2012, 11:16 AM
DVLA ARE TOSSERS
DVLA ARE WANKERS

Originally Posted by coupecoupe
I've had a similar issue when we bought a car that had disabled tax on it.
you have to go to an office to change it over (or fill in paper work to change taxation class and then apply for tax), the car actually had a valid tax disc (but wasn't displaying it as the previous owner had kept it), and we got stopped by north wales police for not displaying.
Police didn't prosecute, but had to pass details onto dvla... who then fined us over Ł80.
It was near the end of the month, but we taxed the car from the start of that month, yet still got the fine.
We'd bought the car the night before, and had to go out to wales to collect my daughter from her nan who'd gone to the caravan for the weekend (daughter wasn't well). My car had a fault, so we had to use the new car.
Police were quite understanding.... DVLA are useless idiots with more red tape and policies than they know what to do with. Idiots!!
If you were to Book it in for MOT... are you covered to drive with no tax to the MOT station? (i can't remember - you'll need to check)
If so, you could either drive it home on the strength of this (which is taking the piss a little if you're the other end of the country lol), or drive to DVLA office on this.
Whether you already have Mot or not doesn't matter, you can still book it in (tell them it's expired)... then just cancel.

Good luck
SEND THEM 100 E MAILS TELLING THEM THEY ARE USELESS IT'S EASY TO DO THROUGH THIS LINK AND IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE A CORRECT E MAIL ADDRESS. USELESS TOSSERS

Old 17-06-2012, 11:24 AM
DVLA ARE TOSSERS
DVLA ARE WANKERS

Originally Posted by dojj
don't count on them being helpful in trying to save you the hassle if you get caught with no tax, he fines peole are a totaly different company that deal with that, i had a letter , from the dvla, that said they had recieved my sorn for a car, and when i sent it to he llp they said it wasn't enough proof

cunts
everyone should complain to dvla through this link. they are the scum of the earth. totally useless arseholes send them 100 e mails it's easy and u don't have to give a real e mail address.

Old 17-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You bought the car in April and sent the V5 off to be changed but never chased them for the new V5 in the 5 months that followed while the car was still taxed?
Old 17-06-2012, 12:05 PM
dojj

i sold a car recently to lewis, he got the log book saying it was now registered in his name

i got the letter stating that they had received the log book and that i was no longer registered as the legal keeper or responsible person for the car

yesterday i got the sorn letter saying that i was still legally the registered keeper of the vehicle

how the fuck can that happen?
Old 17-06-2012, 06:01 PM
steve4i
Regular Contributor

complete bunch of tit's to be honest.

i bought a newer car then what i had 2weeks later i got the log book in my name and a few days later i received a letter from the dvla saying thank you for letting us know you are no longer the registerd keeper.

rang them up and asked them what the letter was about and they said they would look into it.

3 days later or more got aletter saying they ave rectified there records and sorry for any inconvenience caused.
Old 17-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Mattfletcher
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

tax it on the green slip. Ive done it loads just date a couple of days before you tax it, I never fill in the new keeper supplement until Im readuy to tax a car just in case of this sort of thing. I had a Seat Leon recently and the kid I had it off had only had the car a couple of days. I emailed him a couple of weeks later and got no reply. He had already filled in the new keeper part. A month on when I wanted to tax it I went out and bought 5 ink erasers and rubbed his name out carefully, and refilled it in with my details and dated it 3 days prioir. If you looked close you could tell where the rubber had been but got taxed in the end. Thought best tax it before I sent the new keeper part to them to get a free log book, because they are numptys. Kept sendin g me a no tax fine fo another car I had owned, wrote to them and told them I was no longer the keeper, but they were having none of it. It was only when they sent me a 16 page letter with a court summons and data showing that I was not the keeper, that I wrote them an arsey letter back saying "obviously the idiots you have working in your office cant read your own information, I have sent you a copy of your own information and highlighted the part where my name and address doesnt ,match the keeper of the vehicle. Please stop harrassing me!". They sent me one back apologising..
Old 17-06-2012, 06:52 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

like the helpful person at the dvla said...you should have taxed it before you went away. didnt you notice the date on your old disc?
Old 17-06-2012, 07:07 PM
R5FORD
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same boat as you.. But i could wait a couple days for the logbook, too them 2 days to grt it to me and now im taxing the car tomrrow.. They were pretty decent tbh.. All you have to do is ring them up tell them you lost logbook.. Pay 25 quid and if your the registered owner on the system and have the v5 sent to the same addres it takes 2 days.
Old 17-06-2012, 07:21 PM
dojj

every time i ring them some welsh bloke tells me i've got to write in
Old 17-06-2012, 07:47 PM
mechanicalrepairs
BANNED
BANNED

Yes they are hard work, as I am in the trade I have a set of trade plate (tempory tax to display in any vehicle).

One of my employees lost one of the plates with the actual tax disc on, I rang dvla up and told them my problem, i was then put in touch to the local office which is Northampton (still 50 miles away), I went down there with my cheque book and paid the replacement fee.

I was shocked that it seemed all so simple, after 30 minutes I walked out the offices with a new set of plates, I got into my car and just went back to work, later that day I got a blocked number call me on my mobile, basically it was dvla, they had made a mistake and had given me a replacement tax disc that had 6 months longer to run than the disc I originally had, bit of an error I said I would send then a cheque for the added amount required. I was told this wasn't good enough and if I wasn't going to come back to the offices they were going to report the plates as stolen. As you can imagine loosing a mornings work due to having to go to them I wasn't just going to go back through a fault they made.

As you can imagine the phone call got a bit heated and I explained how can a mistake your end be such an issue if I am going to pay for the extra tax, it fell on deaf ears? I complained to Swansea and the next morning was told just to send a cheque in the post to cover the tax cost.

So frustrating, when organisations get so big they are a law to themselves. basically it probably would have saved me money as I still never got any work done and will be expecting an 0845 mobile bill soon.

Carl