General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Mondeo Diesel problem starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Rides
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mondeo Diesel problem starting

Right My MK3 mondeo ghia x 2.0 tddi wont start... yesterday I broke down found out that the fuel wasnt getting to the engine, anyway found out where the problem was..1 tiny rubber seal had split in half from the main fuel supply line, just as it comes out of the top of the fuel tank so replaced it today.. charged the battery/now battery's half dead now but will it feck start fuel's now getting through and around the engine..so anyone got any ideas cause it's bugging the hell outta me... AL

Last edited by Rides; 01-06-2010 at 07:42 PM. Reason: changed title
Old 01-06-2010, 07:43 PM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

are you sure it is getting through to the injectors? diesels can be a bitch to start when there is air in the system, if you havent already, crack off no1 injector pipe, wrap a rag round it, and turn it over until fuel comes out. should start easy enough then.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Rides

Originally Posted by fraser9764
are you sure it is getting through to the injectors? diesels can be a bitch to start when there is air in the system, if you havent already, crack off no1 injector pipe, wrap a rag round it, and turn it over until fuel comes out. should start easy enough then.
yep took return pipe off and cranked the engine... Hmmm maybe I will try that also...cheers for that
Old 01-06-2010, 07:54 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

you need to get a vac pump and pull the fuel through the entire system by disconnecting the return pipe after it comes out of the fuel filter and then using a pump in the pipe.

Or maybe try a tow start, used to work in the old days
Old 01-06-2010, 08:01 PM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

carefull with towing, diesels are very high compression, seen a few strip cambelt teeth.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:06 PM
studabear
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 204 Likes on 192 Posts

good point, the 2.0's are on a chain afaik
Old 01-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Rides

well fuels deffinately coming out of each injector..i cracked each one free just to check too see if the fuel was actually getting where it was supposed to... only problem batterys nearly dead...anyway got someone coming to give me a jump start... as for towing not a chance..as the person coming is a woman...and she aint towed before plus i aint got the towing eye or a rope lmao..so will see if it will start once she's here with her car...fingers crossed twat better start..

Trending Topics

Old 01-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Rides

right just been outside with a jump start got the car running for about 30seconds.. then it cut out..so cracked off each of the injector nuts made sure diesel was coming out tightend them up again..turned the car over it ran again for about the same time then cut out again.. so I think it still has an air block in the pipes...so will try again tomorrow.. after Ive checked for any air leaks..and hopefully get it running..
Old 01-06-2010, 09:55 PM
little bram
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do not try and tow it mate you will jump the chain. just fill the fuel filter up and once it starts keep some rev's on. the fuel pump cannot pull fuel up from the tank if the system has draned or you run out of fuel. you mite need to fill the filter up a cupple of times until the fuel pump fills up and pressures the rail. if it dosnt start after that then you have another problem.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:30 PM
Rides

Originally Posted by little bram
Do not try and tow it mate you will jump the chain. just fill the fuel filter up and once it starts keep some rev's on. the fuel pump cannot pull fuel up from the tank if the system has draned or you run out of fuel. you mite need to fill the filter up a cupple of times until the fuel pump fills up and pressures the rail. if it dosnt start after that then you have another problem.
cheers will do all that tomorrow.. well there's more than 150miles of fuel left in the tank abouts 1/4 of a tank.. cheers bram...hopefully it will start.. it was fine before it broke down..
the only problem Ive had is the fuel guage reading on the computer..ie what miles is left...keeps saying there's less than what I know I've put in ie Ł20 fuel and after i stopped the car then started it up again, the reading was showing nearly empty until it showed no fuel at all... but it was running fine no problems at all...until monday..when it broke down..

even the recovery bloke said it's a fuel problem..
Old 02-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Rides

Well if anyone's intrested found the main problem...fucked fuel pump so just waiting for a lift to go and get a replacement..then finally get it sorted... mind you rather be working on a RS than a derv..but daily runner needs sorting..