General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Given up smoking.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 06:03 AM
underdarkskies
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Given up smoking.

Dad died at 3am Sun morning, had lung cancer for ages, weve known it was coming. Was with him until the end - was horrific. Ive not touched a fag since as can't imagine my son seeing me go through that. burried our 2 daughters in the past year and been smoking loads as stressed so cant believe ive no touched one.

Anyone else given up? Ive just gone cold turkey no patches or anything. Hope I can keep it up. Cant sleep without fags though hence bein on here at 7am
Old 01-06-2010, 06:10 AM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by underdarkskies
Dad died at 3am Sun morning, had lung cancer for ages, weve known it was coming. Was with him until the end - was horrific. Ive not touched a fag since as can't imagine my son seeing me go through that. burried our 2 daughters in the past year and been smoking loads as stressed so cant believe ive no touched one.

Anyone else given up? Ive just gone cold turkey no patches or anything. Hope I can keep it up. Cant sleep without fags though hence bein on here at 7am
bloody hell, sorry to hear that, sounds like you've really been through it in the last year, keep ya chin up, i know its easier said that done but you need to for yourself and those around you

I have been given up smoking for 5 weeks and 1 day I was on patches for 7 days, then decided i didn't need them so stopped puttin them on and have been completely free every since! Get yaself some patches, if you do start feelin really strong for one, then you can put a patch on to help ya out! nowt worse than going back to it after giving up...i gave up for 9 weeks before then started again, until i reach 9 weeks and get past that point i wont running before i can walk if ya get me!

Good luck!
Old 01-06-2010, 06:12 AM
rich123
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

yea im sort of giving up,got in to a bad habbit go all day with out a fag at work and then as soon as i get back have a fag.

sorry to hear about ya dad
Old 01-06-2010, 06:15 AM
Nath
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really, really sorry to hear about your loss. RIP.

I gave up smoking 2 1/2 months ago. I was on 20-40 a day and was smoking for 29 years.

I just done it. No patches, no nothing. I didn't set out to stop, I just done it one day and have not had one since. Anyone that knows me on here would of always seen me in the past with a cig in my gob ....

I was reading up on the dangers of it around that time, as up till then I just didn't want to know. I got to admit I was shocked and disgusted that the Government allow it still. The stuff they put in there is just unreal
Old 01-06-2010, 06:28 AM
**caz**
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I didn't plan a date to quit this time, just woke up that morning (obviously been thinkin bout it) and thought thats it, im doin it! The pack i had open at the time is still in the cupboard as i left it that day!! i feel that has helped me!!
Old 01-06-2010, 07:59 AM
D.K.
BANNED
BANNED

Sorry to hear about your dad

Ive gave up nearly 5 months ago now, I was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer last march and im only 26 have had chemo and part of my lung removed, sadly it wasnt a cure and i still have cancerous cells but its improved my life and given me more time to do the things i want.
I gave up pretty easily and went the cold turkey route didnt even think about smokng, but just recently things have been a bit stressful and i find myself wanting one but i try to take my mind off it. I do end up being a bit snappy and moody at times tho.

Last edited by D.K.; 01-06-2010 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:59 PM
underdarkskies

Thanks. Still not had one, need to be keepin busy tho. Drinking hundreds of coffee instead

Trending Topics

Old 02-06-2010, 08:14 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Received 424 Likes on 399 Posts

sorry to hear about your dad mate ,im sure your dad would be proud of you knowing you have decided to kick the habit ,as thats all it is is a habit ,im off them for near on 6 years now ,i gave them up for my kids as i smoked 50 a day,
i would get alan carrs book mate its a inspirational read and will kickstart your brain into quitting mode ,i have never looked back except for the cups of strong coffee but havent managed to drink fifty a day,well not yet

best of luck ,
Old 02-06-2010, 08:14 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

sorry to hear of your loss.

Keep it up fella - im trying to cut down and will then defo try and stop this time
Old 02-06-2010, 08:37 PM
underdarkskies

Will try get the book James. Missus is pregnant again - twins this time so an extra reason to quit need to be healthy! Fingers crossed babies make it this time.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:56 PM
cameron2
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that!

I did cold turkey 3 years ago. Quit half way through a cig.
From that very second i flicked that fag away i have told myself "i used to smoke"! Everytime i wanted one i told myself "i dont smoke"!
Good luck with it.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Sorry to hear your loss mate. And good luck with kicking the filthy habit. Stick at it for your kids. I know what your going through, my Dad has lung cancer, 2 years now. Doing well but obviously time is ticking
Old 02-06-2010, 10:40 PM
MarkyMark
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

sorry to hear about your dad mate, i know what you are going through as i have been there, pancreatic cancer rather then lung, its good you are thinking of your son though smoking isnt any good for you, after reading this it makes me think i should give up as well only started after my dad passed away and seemed to escalate along with some other things,

RIP