General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Pectel

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 05:22 PM
Billy_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Pectel

Can somebody explain what pectel is to Cosworth?

Baby boards? T6 T2? Pectel monitor?

I'm not getting it. Is it an aftermarket ecu or like an option for cosworths?

Help please.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:34 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

boards- these are a board to go into the webber ecu's, eg anti lag boards, boards for W/I, boost pot's ect ect

t2- a ecu designed for formula fords, now modified to run turbo engines ect its a very good little ecu with everything needed for a basic road car engine

t6- like t2's big brother, this ecu has anything you can ask for really ! it also is a awsome ecu and we use loads of these !

pectel monitor- a monitor to see what your engine sensors are doing basically, it does revs, boost, ect, act, tps, ect quite a bit, you get versions that can do oil pressure, egt ect,

im sure most of them were made to work with the webber ecus but you can get versions to work with t6 ecu

t2 will not work with it unfortunately though although the secs monitor you can use

hope that helps a bit

jim
Old 10-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Billy_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cheers mate, that seems a bit clearer.

Say i have a L8 ECU. Adding a Pectel board will give me anti lag? Or are there different types?
Old 10-02-2010, 05:42 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

yes you could have a anti lag board in a l8
Old 10-02-2010, 06:20 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

What sort of money is a t2 and t6 as I need to chose an ecu for the fiesta cossie, and it's either pectel or life racing
Old 10-02-2010, 06:30 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

t2 is around 600 new and t6 around 1200 second hand

life is very good but expensive and you wouldnt benefit in it over pectel t6, we do a fair bit of work with life too, again a cracking ecu
Old 10-02-2010, 06:34 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

you don't need a pectel board to get anti-lag anymore like you used to.

there's plenty of info on here about pectel boards, monitors, code etc
Old 10-02-2010, 06:38 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Is t2 a bit basic in terms of features,

switchable maps
closed loop
single cylinder injector mapping
anti lag
water injection
coil on plug

how many load sites per rpm on each ecu?

etc etc what else I would use can t6 do over t2

sorry for questions you have probably answered a
million times lol
low impedance
Old 10-02-2010, 07:03 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Originally Posted by M K

switchable maps
closed loop
anti lag
water injection
coil on plug

million times lol
low impedance

you would want t6 in this case

t2 is far more basic

t6 will do low and high impedence

switchable maps
closed loop
anti lag
water injection
coil on plug

all done on the t6 fella

the t6 you can put in how many sites per how ever many rpm you want iirc i might have have some screen shot pics i will post if i can find

the only thing it dosnt do is fly by wire throttle if you wanted than, anything else im pretty sure it would

you would need to have a 36-1 pront pulley
and cam trigger set up would go nice

basically the t2 is simple, boost control fuel pumps and rev counter are the 3 inputs we use on a road engine you can mix and match for others but im sure its only 3 rather like autronic iirc

t6 has alot more but dont know how many off top of my head
Old 10-02-2010, 07:03 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
you don't need a pectel board to get anti-lag anymore like you used to.

there's plenty of info on here about pectel boards, monitors, code etc
depends who you want to use as your mapper really im guessing msd are the ones your talking about ?
Old 10-02-2010, 07:17 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

heres a screen shot of t6 on the fuel map its not a good pic

but it shows that there is 16 boost points to each 500rpm but like i say you can change this

Old 10-02-2010, 09:42 PM
c20tbo
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Bought my t6 2000 with motorsport loom, ntk lambda, full sensor kit, all necessary pulleys for a steal at 2k guy paid 5k brand new had it a year from julian godfrey also unlocked ready to go. Seen ecu's go for Ł1500 alone then looms, pulleys ect on top
Old 10-02-2010, 10:03 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

why do people insist on buying second hand ecu's when you can buy new modern supported ecu's for less with warranty ?
Old 10-02-2010, 10:06 PM
c20tbo

Because it it was a very good price, done basically nothing and exactly what i required, all checked and ready to go.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:09 PM
bbspolo
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would u sugest then for 3 different sorts of budgets?
Cheep - fast road
middle - road -track
expensive - all out

Not just cossys but in general?
Old 10-02-2010, 10:10 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by c20tbo
Because it it was a very good price, done basically nothing and exactly what i required, all checked and ready to go.

at 2K in my book its over priced for a second hand ecu, as good as they were in their day.
I can buy a better ECU and with all the kit that you have bought new for 2K, people just buy it for the name im convinced.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:11 PM
c20tbo

It wasnt only the ecu mate.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:11 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by bbspolo
Cheep - fast road
middle - road -track
expensive - all out

that is a massive question to ask, you would have to give what you wanted the ecu to do before I would suggest any makes.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:12 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by c20tbo
It wasnt only the ecu mate.

I know, I read what you posted above. the T6 is very over priced in this day and age. Though in most peoples cases very under used also.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:15 PM
nugnah

so where do the L8 boards come in all this, are they any good

jason
Old 10-02-2010, 10:18 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by nugnah
so where do the L8 boards come in all this, are they any good

jason

L8 with or without pectel assistance is an amazing ecu on its own without a doubt, just alot of people want the messabout factor of being able to fook their own map(s) up !

but it is down to if your chosen tuner can map the marrelli systems, if not you could end up spending more money in travelling than paying for an ecu that he/she can map locally (if you constantly need changes)
Old 10-02-2010, 10:19 PM
c20tbo

Same as most cosworth parts in general or anything associated with them, to me it was a good price as i said will do everything i need, think proper looms retail at 500+ then the NTK lambda's for 250ish and pulleys and other sensors, it was a late ecu and basically used for 1000 miles, Was also my tuners advise to go for T6, that was enough for me.

Last edited by c20tbo; 10-02-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:24 PM
nugnah

Originally Posted by markk
L8 with or without pectel assistance is an amazing ecu on its own without a doubt, just alot of people want the messabout factor of being able to fook their own map(s) up !

but it is down to if your chosen tuner can map the marrelli systems, if not you could end up spending more money in travelling than paying for an ecu that he/she can map locally (if you constantly need changes)
cheers for that Mark, i presume that's what is in my 2wd sapph ??

jason
Old 11-02-2010, 07:53 AM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

L1 3dr
L6 early saff
L8 late safe
P8 esc cos BT
EECIV esc cos ST
Old 11-02-2010, 09:56 AM
nugnah

Originally Posted by Spiky
L1 3dr
L6 early saff
L8 late safe
P8 esc cos BT
EECIV esc cos ST
nice one steve. cheers mate

jason
Old 11-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

To clarify the difference between a Pectel Board and a Pectel ECU...

Pectel did NOT have anything to do with the original ECU, that was made by Weber marelli in Italy and as std incorporated a lamp output that was capable of sending out flash codes to indicate errors. IE: 10 flashes = CTS. ok?

Pectel, are a company that (i believe) formed in the 80s and soon became masters of the Weber marelli Ecu systems and their affiliated soft/hardware. Back in the day, the cosworth was fast becoming the engine of choice for fast road and motorsport but the hurdle most couldn't overcome, was making the ecu's run the modified engines PROPERLY.

Pectel designed a system that would allow people to map it easily, with a DOS based mapping interface. They perfected the mapping and run software and it worked flawlessly in the ecu. The run software like any other, is the "Operating System" that runs the hardware that you know as an ECU. PC buffs can liken a chips software to their motherboards BIOS.

This is where Pectel differs from a company like myself, we will make the existing run program do what we want it to do by adjusting its maps and calibrations and then burn the modded program back to a chip, Pectel cleverly designed a whole NEW run software system that bore no resemblance to the original at all and could be adjusted map by map using the mapping software they supplied to their customers(Pc buffs.. a bit like the difference between, Award and AMI bios. Both totally different, but with the same end result)

What pectel then had to do was protect all their hard work:
The mapping software (Called IEMS for L1 = 8 and IEMS P8 for P8) was simply that, a software program that would be ripped off in no time. They programmed a dongle for the parallel port and that would ward of most thieves, but still made it a one time only purchase, not exactly business idea of the year, so what they did then was, back in its day, quite unique...

They altered the mapping softwares "Save" program so that when you had finished your maps, and saved them ready for burning to a new chip, the program "Encrypted" the file so it WOULD NOT run in a marelli ecu.

How did you get it to run?
You bought a "DE ENCRYPTION" or "PROTECTION" board that would translate the encrypted message from Chip to ECU. This hardware was copyrighted and only available through Pectel. Now they had a viable product and every time someone made a new performance chip with their software, even if they had ripped it off, they had to purchase some hardware from Pectel before it would run an engine. The board is now widely knows as the Pectel Board.

Ingenious.

Hope that answers your questions...
Old 11-02-2010, 10:32 AM
timrud
BANNED
BANNED

Interesting read Stu
Old 11-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Billy_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
To clarify the difference between a Pectel Board and a Pectel ECU...

Pectel did NOT have anything to do with the original ECU, that was made by Weber marelli in Italy and as std incorporated a lamp output that was capable of sending out flash codes to indicate errors. IE: 10 flashes = CTS. ok?

Pectel, are a company that (i believe) formed in the 80s and soon became masters of the Weber marelli Ecu systems and their affiliated soft/hardware. Back in the day, the cosworth was fast becoming the engine of choice for fast road and motorsport but the hurdle most couldn't overcome, was making the ecu's run the modified engines PROPERLY.

Pectel designed a system that would allow people to map it easily, with a DOS based mapping interface. They perfected the mapping and run software and it worked flawlessly in the ecu. The run software like any other, is the "Operating System" that runs the hardware that you know as an ECU. PC buffs can liken a chips software to their motherboards BIOS.

This is where Pectel differs from a company like myself, we will make the existing run program do what we want it to do by adjusting its maps and calibrations and then burn the modded program back to a chip, Pectel cleverly designed a whole NEW run software system that bore no resemblance to the original at all and could be adjusted map by map using the mapping software they supplied to their customers(Pc buffs.. a bit like the difference between, Award and AMI bios. Both totally different, but with the same end result)

What pectel then had to do was protect all their hard work:
The mapping software (Called IEMS for L1 = 8 and IEMS P8 for P8) was simply that, a software program that would be ripped off in no time. They programmed a dongle for the parallel port and that would ward of most thieves, but still made it a one time only purchase, not exactly business idea of the year, so what they did then was, back in its day, quite unique...

They altered the mapping softwares "Save" program so that when you had finished your maps, and saved them ready for burning to a new chip, the program "Encrypted" the file so it WOULD NOT run in a marelli ecu.

How did you get it to run?
You bought a "DE ENCRYPTION" or "PROTECTION" board that would translate the encrypted message from Chip to ECU. This hardware was copyrighted and only available through Pectel. Now they had a viable product and every time someone made a new performance chip with their software, even if they had ripped it off, they had to purchase some hardware from Pectel before it would run an engine. The board is now widely knows as the Pectel Board.

Ingenious.

Hope that answers your questions...

10/10 Answer!

Cheers
Old 11-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bbspolo
Cheep - fast road
middle - road -track
expensive - all out

That's the wrong way round really, it's the road car that needs the needs the most expensive.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:54 AM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by M K

switchable maps
closed loop
anti lag
water injection
coil on plug

million times lol
low impedance
Marc,

Don't' take this as a dig but why do you insist on using such exotic parts when really there are plenty capable ecu's available for far less ?

Life Racing ecu is no more than something to sound uber cool on spec sheet, the car and what you potentially plan to use it for do not warrant it IMO and that could be said for many ecu's and their features. Cars that run such Ecu's tend to be money no object builds, the best possible components used throughout the car making it vertially bulletproof, if you think the rest of the car is upto that standard then maybe its worth considering but otherwise its not.

Don't get me wrong though IF you really can afford to throw that sort of money at just an ecu then fair play go for it, personally I'd use something that will more than manage and keep the rest for other parts the car maybe could do with.

Just my 2p's worth.
Old 26-03-2010, 09:23 PM
focus 4x4
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Can a pectel T2 run 8 injectors ? if so can they run them sequentially?

Thanks
Old 26-03-2010, 09:31 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

yes it can run 8 injectors but theyre all together, for example cant be used on "banks"
Old 26-03-2010, 09:33 PM
1374lee
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 91 Likes on 91 Posts

Pectel T2 cannot run 8 injectors in sequential form,it can only run them constantly,however the t6 can do the job in sequential form.
CheeRS.Lee.
Old 26-03-2010, 11:35 PM
Billy_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Pectel T6 FTW!
Old 27-03-2010, 12:03 AM
Ryan
15K+ Super Poster!!

lol t6 for pub talk

imo its completely wasted on anything less that a wrc spec'd car, or a car that actually needs all those aux inputs and outputs.

or again if you need individual cyclinder trim to accomodate the pub inlet

dont get me wrong its a great ecu, jsut think people buy it because its the thing to have, rather than because it suits their needs
Old 27-03-2010, 12:37 AM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Ryan
lol t6 for pub talk

imo its completely wasted on anything less that a wrc spec'd car, or a car that actually needs all those aux inputs and outputs.

dont get me wrong its a great ecu, jsut think people buy it because its the thing to have, rather than because it suits their needs
Old 27-03-2010, 08:21 AM
Touring Car Spares
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by Ryan
lol t6 for pub talk

so cynical for someone so young ! There was a time when your spec sheet read................. lol.
Old 27-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Ryan
15K+ Super Poster!!

i know tony. lol

i learnt quickly, and would never go back down that route.

would never go above stg 3 on a road car now.