General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not declaring points to insurance

Search this Thread

Old 26-01-2010, 03:20 PM
GooseRST
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not declaring points to insurance

I have allways wonderd what would happen if i got 6 points and didn't declare them to insurance.

If i didnt declare 6 points to insurance, how likely would you be to get caught?

Can insurance companies check?
And what if i was pulled by the 5-0? could they check there and then?

I know if i was in a crash i'd be buggerd.
Old 26-01-2010, 03:26 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i never declared 6 a few years ago because i was close to renewal time,i got stopped 3times and produced,sat in copshop shitting my pants 3 times,nothing happened,but i drove for a living so declared them,never put my insurance up or owt,then charged me 20quid for adress change! but long boring story short,declare them,not worth the hassle of getting your insurance voided if you get caught or have a big accident.
Old 26-01-2010, 03:26 PM
The Joker

I think if you were found out it would be classed as not giving correct info there for NO INSURANCE. Dont know how your insurance could find out tho unless you needed to claim.
Old 26-01-2010, 03:28 PM
GooseRST

So what would be the punishment if someone was to get found out?
Old 26-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Surely the policy will be invalid as you havnt declared them.
Old 26-01-2010, 03:32 PM
GooseRST

Yeah i would know that, but would the insurance company inform the 5-0 etc?

And if i was stopped and checked and the police found out, then what punishment would someone face?
Old 26-01-2010, 03:33 PM
mark
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you would get more points for having no insurance as it would be invalid as you havnt declared them at a gess lol

Trending Topics

Old 26-01-2010, 03:34 PM
GooseRST

Yeah i just have no idea how likely i would be to get found out providing i didnt crash
Old 26-01-2010, 03:38 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

when you used to go to a police station to produce your documents they used to ring your insurance to check you were insured i.e you wernt just showing a certificate when you had cancelled the policy,police do everything over the radio now so i reckon they could find out there and then,either way i expect you'd get points and a fine and arse raped next time you insure a car.
Old 26-01-2010, 03:39 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

oh and you never know when someones going to pull out on you etc so the whole 'providing you didnt crash' line wont wash.
Old 26-01-2010, 03:42 PM
benporter
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

--------------

Last edited by benporter; 22-07-2022 at 10:53 AM.
Old 26-01-2010, 03:42 PM
mark
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have a look at this thread https://passionford.com/forum/genera...o-i-stand.html
Old 26-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

It would invalidate your insurance so in the event of getting found out or having a prang and having the policy declared void you would cop a further 6 points for no insurance.

In short, not declaring your points is a bit stupid to say the least
Old 26-01-2010, 03:44 PM
boothy
BANNED
BANNED

I rung up for a quote once and asked me if i had any points,i said no they said what about the 3 you have oops i said.....

Not worth lying really
Old 26-01-2010, 05:27 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by kosman
when you used to go to a police station to produce your documents they used to ring your insurance to check you were insured i.e you wernt just showing a certificate when you had cancelled the policy,police do everything over the radio now so i reckon they could find out there and then,either way i expect you'd get points and a fine and arse raped next time you insure a car.
the 5-0 can even check "mod's" on the car against your insurance policy and do you that way. Remember its "fleecing not policing" now
Old 26-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Wait till you run someone over... Then youre fucked!
Old 26-01-2010, 05:35 PM
andyt
PassionFord Post Whore!!

thought it was 8 points for no insurance?
Old 26-01-2010, 05:53 PM
j6kyt
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Why bother lying to them if the worst should happen it would probably cost you more in the long term than the increased premiums. it sometime dont cost you lots more anyway. I got a 40 day ban and that cost me an extra £100 for the year this was for 3 years. so it just isnt worth it imo.
Old 26-01-2010, 06:11 PM
RickyLee53
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Pretty sure they'd pay out for the third party though. Just not your own.
Old 26-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

why would they pay out on the 3rd party?

The 3rd party would come and see you for the money as you are an UNINSURED driver...

Theres no two ways about lying about points on youre license is not good!

An ex friend of mine is paying off £70,000 for an accident on his moped where he ran into someone on a zebra crossing and he had 3 points.

Insuarance threw it back to him saying he had invalidated his insurance as they was not told about the points.

he went to court

LOST

And now he pays it monthly up until last time i spoke to him anyway.

Last edited by Ebonycossie4x4; 26-01-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 26-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Elwood

Missing out any material fact to your insurers would result in the policy being deemed void. Perfect, as insurance companies don't really like to pay out most of the time.

Being stopped by a regular response officer means you probably go undetected as an uninsured driver. It would be a different story I'd imagine if a traffic cop gets a whiff of anything suspicious.

I guarantee you'd get found out if you have an accident.

If you get stopped at the side of the road for no insurance - for example here in Sussex, it's likely to result in an FPN for 6 points & a £200 fine. Plus, your car will most likely be seized, and you'll have to pay a sizeable chunk of money to eventually get it back.

Insurance companies don't like uninsured drivers. It's only a spiral down towards disqualifaction....
Old 26-01-2010, 07:19 PM
nugnah

Originally Posted by mrjenrst
the 5-0 can even check "mod's" on the car against your insurance policy and do you that way. Remember its "fleecing not policing" now
WRONG, i work for police and they can't check for mods, most police aint interested in the car or how it looks, they pull you , they PNC the car checking for owner, address , mot and insurance. Then they check driver against it.

Jason
Old 26-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

agreed with elwood

i had my skyline seized because i said i owned the car when i got out of it and not my company as i had traders insurance.

Apparently if i own the car then my Traders policy is invalidated as its insuring me working for the company driving a car owned by the company.

I did then and i still fell it was an absoloubt Joke...

Another reason why essex police are a bunch of tossers...

Insurance is a very fine lined thing i think so its best to be 100% legit... Better in the long run beleive me
Old 26-01-2010, 07:51 PM
chr

why is it such a big thing for you that you don't want to declare them?

Chris
Old 26-01-2010, 08:03 PM
turbolee

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i had 6 points for speeding rang insurance told em they said it wouldnt make no change and everybody gets caught speeding the only time they will put it up is if i start jumping red lights
Old 27-01-2010, 10:12 AM
DaveZS
Better use my strong hand

If you make a claim without declaring points, the claim will be void. When you claim, insurance companies useually have a confrence call with you, the insurance, and the dvla. They ask you about your past driving history, then the dvla confirm what you have said. Or not as the case may be
Old 27-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Mike C
The Special One

All the people I've known with 6 points have declared them and it's made little or fuck all difference to their insurance anyway.
Old 27-01-2010, 10:28 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

ok, so you don't declare them
you get insured
you have a prang
they ask to see your license
they see that you have points on it
that wern't disclosed at the time you took out the policy
they send you a letter telling you no insurance
you foot the bill
you get done for no insurance
you get poitns for no insurance
you may get a criminal record for the accident
the next time you go to apply for any sort of insurance, they will not only ask you about any previous times you've been declined insruance, but they'll also know if you are lying

so between paying out an extra couple of quid or saving a few bob and hoping, i'd rather pay
Old 27-01-2010, 10:32 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Well to put it clearly, if they found out after you'd made a claim then it would invalidate your insurance. Insurance companies, like any business are pretty smart, yoou think they'll pay out to one measley customer because he never told them he had points and a ban or whatever??? if they can get away without paying, they will. At the end of the day, they're a business, not a charity, so they won't go dishing out cash if they don't have to.
The question is, is it worth it, and what is the likelyhood of getting caught????

Well........ I will freely admit i did this for a long time (4years), but at the end of 08' i bought a new car, and got the cossie back on the road, so i decided it was time to do it right, be mature about it and not have the worry of having a claim rejected, god forbid i had an accident and it wasn't just the car that got damaged. So now i have declared everything, but as of 17 days ago i now have a completely clean licence.

What i found was that it only cost me about £70 more, and put my mind at rest, surely thats a small price to pay??? Agreed it was a foolish thing to do, and now i wouldn't really advise it to anyone, it can only be something that you will regret if it doesn't work out.
Old 27-01-2010, 10:46 AM
alangti
BANNED
BANNED

i know i shouldnt of but i had 9 points for 4 years i never declared them luckily there not on my liscence now but had 6 for no insurance back in 2003 and got another 3 for going through a no entry sign in front of a traffic car which the cop said to me if you can get away with it dont declare them

now the bad part when my insurance compant used to ask for a copy of my liscence all i used to do was photoshop it print it out and send the copy to them naughty i know but nothing ever came of it
Old 27-01-2010, 10:51 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Were you an expert in photoshop after that???
I'm not so good at it, but maybe it's a safer option, once I claimed i was someone else, a mate, and then had to borrow all their documents and go to the station to have them all checked.
Old 27-01-2010, 12:20 PM
nick-21
feet found, i have 2

Originally Posted by turbolee
i had 6 points for speeding rang insurance told em they said it wouldnt make no change and everybody gets caught speeding the only time they will put it up is if i start jumping red lights
Not true, i got caught jumping through a red light at the end of a line of traffic and got caught by a camera, added £20 or something to the policy, TS10.

Bell state that you dont need to declare points till renewal, but i would any way just to be safe.

The hassel it could cause if they said your insurance was void isnt wortth it. Do a quote online and see how much the points bump up your insurance.
Old 27-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If your job involves driving at all (in your own car on business or in a company vehicle) and your employer do routine licence checks direct with DVLA (because no-one believes what the actual licence shows nowadays) the points will appear on the print-out they receive.

If your employer then shares that data with their insurer, that insurer may just share it with your insurer.

Data sharing is all very common-place now and your policy application will state that insurers have the right to do this.
Old 28-01-2010, 01:03 AM
STAFFY OWNER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by chr
why is it such a big thing for you that you don't want to declare them?

Chris
Exactly what i was wondering. Don't be a twat, just own up, it might not even make a difference and at least you'll know you're in the clear if you need to make a claim (or anyone makes a claim against you).
Old 28-01-2010, 06:36 AM
rm1977
Virgin

Originally Posted by Ebonycossie4x4
Wait till you run someone over... Then youre fucked!
I quite agree; couldn't make it any clearer!
Is it really worth going to jail for manslaughter over a bit extra money to declare them?!?
Old 28-01-2010, 10:08 AM
Guile1
Part of the Furniture

As above you void your insurance.. in fact when you phone ANY insurance company they will run through the legal disclaimer.... If you do not declare mods , points, bans , convictions you policy will be void
Old 28-01-2010, 11:31 AM
bob s2zvh
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by rog
Well to put it clearly, if they found out after you'd made a claim then it would invalidate your insurance. Insurance companies, like any business are pretty smart, yoou think they'll pay out to one measley customer because he never told them he had points and a ban or whatever??? if they can get away without paying, they will. At the end of the day, they're a business, not a charity, so they won't go dishing out cash if they don't have to.
The question is, is it worth it, and what is the likelyhood of getting caught????

Well........ I will freely admit i did this for a long time (4years), but at the end of 08' i bought a new car, and got the cossie back on the road, so i decided it was time to do it right, be mature about it and not have the worry of having a claim rejected, god forbid i had an accident and it wasn't just the car that got damaged. So now i have declared everything, but as of 17 days ago i now have a completely clean licence.

What i found was that it only cost me about £70 more, and put my mind at rest, surely thats a small price to pay??? Agreed it was a foolish thing to do, and now i wouldn't really advise it to anyone, it can only be something that you will regret if it doesn't work out.
how did you manage to get points? your cossie hadnt seen the road since the 90's lol surelt the Ka wasnt that fast!