General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Subaru help

Search this Thread

Old 28-12-2009, 11:15 AM
B16 Will
its all about the 5 pot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Subaru help

I know this isnt the impreza forum, but passion ford is full of knowlegable bods !!
Anyone know much about the P1 ? Any good ? I dont even know what kind of power they run etc, i love the styleing, wheels, stance, might even get me one but dont want to buy a shed, ive herd so many stories of people buying them, then haveing the bottom end shit itself a week later.
Any info apreciated
Old 28-12-2009, 11:17 AM
TIFF
Chasing Radders

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Staffi is your man for Subaru's on here.....
Old 28-12-2009, 11:20 AM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

The P1 uses a jap Sti engine, with the ECU slightly tweeked for UK petrol. The only problem is they didn't tweek it enough. Most P1s have had an engine rebuild at some stage because of this.

Standard they will be around 280bhp. You ideally want to get one that's been either remapped pretty much from new(negating the ECU issue), or buy one with a rebuild which has been mapped. One running in standard form would not interest me in the slightest, as it's an engine failure waiting to happen.

Last edited by Alan_D; 28-12-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 28-12-2009, 11:25 AM
Rs(555)
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

my mate had onerunning stainless exhaust system and remap .....went like fook and handled awsomei think alot of them went bang around 60k???? dont know why ,but lots of them have had rebuilds....out of the box they are a brilliant car ,and will hold there value due to how rare they arego try one ,i would have one tomorrow and ive had loads of cosworths,subarus etc etc
Old 28-12-2009, 03:27 PM
B16 Will
its all about the 5 pot

Hmmm, the mrs isnt impressed now. Im pretty sure im going to hunt one down now.
Old 28-12-2009, 03:49 PM
P412KER
PassionFord Regular

I had one not long ago was am awesome car, but like most have mentioned make sure its had its engine re-built and mapped correctly, and try and find one with the upgraded alcon brakes.
Old 28-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

chocolate pistons. I dont mind this imprezas.

Trending Topics

Old 28-12-2009, 04:09 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd rather have a v5/6 type-r.
Old 28-12-2009, 04:11 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wouldnt trust a subaru bottom end (i.e. bearings/crank) as far as I could throw them, i'd be even more worried if it had just been rebuilt as it could fail anytime...if it had done 100,000 miles i'd have more confidence in it !!

love the P1's and 22b's tho
Old 28-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Glenny Boy
chocolate pistons. I dont mind this imprezas.
Load of shite.

KSA talks sense. Can't see any reason to buy the P1 instead really, other than the fact it's a limited edition. You'd be buying for the badge. Better just finding a nice enthusiast owned Sti.
Old 28-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by vroooom ptssssh
Wouldnt trust a subaru bottom end (i.e. bearings/crank) as far as I could throw them, i'd be even more worried if it had just been rebuilt as it could fail anytime...if it had done 100,000 miles i'd have more confidence in it !!

love the P1's and 22b's tho
They aren't anything like the horror stories people talk about. 99% of those stories are because of people who've messed with them who have a low attention to detail and consequently cock things up!

Again it would surely depend who had rebuilt it? If it was a company with a reputation for perfection etc, and mapped by one of the top mappers, wouldn't that be better than one that's had bolt-on mods etc without a remap, and has luckily managed to hold together for tens of thousands of miles?
Old 28-12-2009, 04:22 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Originally Posted by Alan_D
They aren't anything like the horror stories people talk about. 99% of those stories are because of people who've messed with them who have a low attention to detail and consequently cock things up!

Again it would surely depend who had rebuilt it? If it was a company with a reputation for perfection etc, and mapped by one of the top mappers, wouldn't that be better than one that's had bolt-on mods etc without a remap, and has luckily managed to hold together for tens of thousands of miles?

In any other circumstance i'd say you were probably correct! But seeing what I have, I have no faith in them AT ALL no matter who rebuilt them!

One example...guy buys brand new bottom end from SUBARU, fits it into car, drives it to run it in for 2K miles, first time he boots it (standard car) the bottom end seizes! he was VERY perticular with this engine as he blew up the last engine and couldnt afford to do it 3 times!

example 2, well known subaru engine builder from this neck of the woods, builds them all day long, but 1 in say 20 engines, the bottom end seizes...he cant explain it, and nor can anyone else!

I dont believe it's anything to do with mapping or who's mapped it, its a bearing...mapping doesnt effect it!?

I've yet to find someone who has a reasonable explanation for why it happens on subaru's, i've 'heard' some people say its detonation related...but do you believe that? all I Know is I cant diss-regard it...
Old 28-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They are fantastic cars but good ones are hard to find and priced accordingly. A friend of mine bought one last year and we had to look around at quite a few before finding a decent one Bearing in mind they only made 1000 finding a good one isn't easy

Most of them will have had a new engine or a rebuild by now, my friend decided to buy a tidy well looked after example that hadn't had a rebuild and budgeted to do that at a later date, only 2 months or so later he did a compression test after trying to sort out a poor idle and found little or no compression on one cylinder That was caused by a bent valve though.

If you are still looking for one I would try and find one that has been looked after, good examples will hold their money all day long

The Prodrive map wasn't as good as it should have been so if you can it remapped for safety I would. A lot of imprezas also die from high speed runs because the air goes over the intercooler scoop instead of going through it I've heard of lots of P1 owners exceeding 150mph in theirs and they simply don't like it If you are planning on doing runs like that a front mount is highly recommended.

The Prodrive Alcon brake upgrade and 18"s are a good package so personally I would also look for one that has been fitted with those. The Subaru 4 pots aren't too bad but they aren't brilliant and for some reason the P1 came fitted with single pot rear calipers and not the twin pots You can upgrade to twin pots quite easily though

P1's drive very very well, they have a very close ratio box with a longer 5th gear so they cruise really well Imprezas are always a bit thirsty but if you are looking for an Impreza you aren't worried about fuel You must run them on either vpower or tesco 99 only though because they can detonate on 95 ron and that sends shockwaves down the conrods to the big end shells and knocks them out
Old 28-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

In any other circumstance i'd say you were probably correct! But seeing what I have, I have no faith in them AT ALL no matter who rebuilt them!

One example...guy buys brand new bottom end from SUBARU, fits it into car, drives it to run it in for 2K miles, first time he boots it (standard car) the bottom end seizes! he was VERY perticular with this engine as he blew up the last engine and couldnt afford to do it 3 times!

example 2, well known subaru engine builder from this neck of the woods, builds them all day long, but 1 in say 20 engines, the bottom end seizes...he cant explain it, and nor can anyone else!

I dont believe it's anything to do with mapping or who's mapped it, its a bearing...mapping doesnt effect it!?

I've yet to find someone who has a reasonable explanation for why it happens on subaru's, i've 'heard' some people say its detonation related...but do you believe that? all I Know is I cant diss-regard it...
Can't explain what you've mentioned in the first few paras as I've had no experience of anything like that.

There are a few reasons people talk about. On the classics, there is the theory that the standard bonnet scoop becomes useless after the 100mph mark, so prolonged high speed runs will obviously be a bad idea, resulting in knock.

Then there's the lack of mapping with bolt on mods, again knock being the issue.

There are a few more 'commonly known' reasons, but I can't think of them off the top of my head because it's been a while since I owned a Subaru and had it tuned, therefore I haven't had to think about them recently.

Would have total confidence with a car mapped by the likes of Andy Forrest though, if all the supporting mods were sound. Just my opinion though as I haven't been stung with engine failure.
Old 28-12-2009, 04:40 PM
B16 Will
its all about the 5 pot

Mixed views then, thanks for all the sound advise. Id also herd about the scoop thing, people who litteraly knock the bottom end out crusing at 120mph, im swaying towards a standard car or one with the right bolt ons. Its the 3dr, blue paint and body styling that does it for me, the pic looks like a tidy one.
Old 28-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by B16 Will
Mixed views then, thanks for all the sound advise. Id also herd about the scoop thing, people who litteraly knock the bottom end out crusing at 120mph, im swaying towards a standard car or one with the right bolt ons. Its the 3dr, blue paint and body styling that does it for me, the pic looks like a tidy one.
Remember that if it has bolt-on mods you should make sure it's been mapped for them.

Also think you can get Type Rs in that colour, although I'm not sure.
Old 28-12-2009, 04:52 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Can't explain what you've mentioned in the first few paras as I've had no experience of anything like that.

There are a few reasons people talk about. On the classics, there is the theory that the standard bonnet scoop becomes useless after the 100mph mark, so prolonged high speed runs will obviously be a bad idea, resulting in knock.

Then there's the lack of mapping with bolt on mods, again knock being the issue.

There are a few more 'commonly known' reasons, but I can't think of them off the top of my head because it's been a while since I owned a Subaru and had it tuned, therefore I haven't had to think about them recently.

Would have total confidence with a car mapped by the likes of Andy Forrest though, if all the supporting mods were sound. Just my opinion though as I haven't been stung with engine failure.

Yea heard of those theorys, you'd think subaru would hold their cars flat out, long enough to test things like that though it seems a bit of a schoolboy error for such a huge company to make.

unless your connecting det to seized bearings which some people do though, thats besides the point.

As I said before, Until someone can prove why SOME engines seize bearings, I wouldnt buy a subaru....
Old 28-12-2009, 04:57 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Load of shite.

KSA talks sense. Can't see any reason to buy the P1 instead really, other than the fact it's a limited edition. You'd be buying for the badge. Better just finding a nice enthusiast owned Sti.
Don't the type-r's come with more goodies as standard too m8 ?
Old 28-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive heard the scoop theory,,,,,, though i have held my scooby flat out alot,,, with witnesses ( and others trying to keep up too) and i seem to have been fortunate though i have never had the standard bonnet,,,,,, but ive done 300ish miles flat out in the car with the old bonnet,,,, waving about which is freeky and most of that was 130 and 140,,,, i NEVER went below 120 apart from stoping for 2 fuel stops

infact the only issue ive had with my V3 STI is 1 radiator and now a shattered gearbox and it was used as a daily driver,,, even with a suspected fucked box for the last 10k miles
Old 28-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Bg_rs
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Great cars miss mine loads. The P1 is a jap type-r modified by prodrive for the uk market.

As mentioned above check service history and HPI etc, another thing to check for is how often the MAF has been changed.

Sign up on the P1 web owners club some very helpful people on there and you'll also be able to see what cars are forsale.
Old 28-12-2009, 05:47 PM
p.cressie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

^^^^^^^

Stunning
Old 28-12-2009, 05:51 PM
JK99
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm an owner of a V4 Type R (albeit with a few V5 bits) and it's been spot-on for 2 years now.

Haven't got a clue what some folk are talking about, never heard of a bottom end seizing on them that's been built properly. If folk are stupid enough to run them dry of oil or re-use an oil-pump that is prone to failure - Subaru, Ford, Honda etc etc.

As I said, I've had mine for 2 years and it's on a fresh standard engine. Was rebuilt prior to me getting it at 66k miles and it was a faulty fuel pump that caused the failure so I was told. Wasn't too interested as I was buying it with a freshly built lump and everything else had been sorted too.

For the money, I think you'd struggle to find something better on the smiles per gallon front and I would say go for the Type R over the P1 everytime. Stronger rear diff, adjustable centre diff, better rear brakes, close ratio box etc etc. Only thing I'd want out of a P1 is the 5th gear - 3.5k RPM @ 70mph with a 3" Titanium system is loud!!

Here's a few pics of mine to help you along:

Last edited by JK99; 28-12-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 28-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by KSA-Cossie
Not sure about what the P1s have compared to the Type Rs, but the Jap cars are usually better equiped than the UK models!

I had a UK car though, loved it for what it was. Drove it between Lanark and Aberdeen a good few times, in snow and shitty cold weather and it never batted an eyelid the whole year and a half I owned it. Was brilliant. Only thing I would be concerned about with a Classic Scoob would be the drivetrain, which is notoriously soft, but I just avoided launching mine in the dry.

Newage Stis have the opposite: their standard diffs, gearbox, etc, are almost over-engineered, and seem to be good for around 500bhp from what I've heard.
Old 28-12-2009, 05:57 PM
PT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I'd rather have a v5/6 type-r.
and me
Old 28-12-2009, 06:02 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Whats the difference between v5 and v6 just cosmetics ?
Old 28-12-2009, 06:15 PM
JK99

Whats the difference between v5 and v6 just cosmetics ?
Small change to the engine layout to rectify a problem the V5s had and small cosmetic changes. Most of the changes were as a result of these being the last of the line before becoming the Bug-Eye which I hated but have grown to like.
Old 28-12-2009, 08:38 PM
StephTell

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 'normal' Impreza turbo, upgraded it with MD42 turbo, Walbro fuelpump, blueflame 3" decat exhaust and had it remapped.

Drove it like an arsehole everywhere I went and it never missed a beat.
Reasonably quick as well!

Easy to drift as well
Old 28-12-2009, 08:58 PM
andy888

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

had 2 of these now. top one cost me Ł14.5k a few years ago, bottom one was just over 6k a couple years back. brilliant cars out the box. dont listen to any rumours about how to stop them blowing up etc in my experience its pot luck. my fisrt one (top one) i bought with 48k on it and it had blown up at 38k. my second one i bought with 94k on it and it blew up at 107k. it was remapped from new with an uprated pump etc in it. i ran a top spec oil in them both and changed it every 5k.

my pal owns one and it gets hammered day in day out and hadsnt seen fresh oil in 25k miles and is still going the best. i really think its pot luck but one thing i would advise is DONT buy one then drive about in it worrying if its gonna blow! buy it and rag it!

i wouldnt say it matters about the rebuild etc my last one got done reasonably cheap with a new STI9 nitrile coated crank etc. it also burned out an exhaust valve.

i fell in love with the styling of the P1 and would have another tomorrow. can be had for 5k now but obviouslt you get what you pay for! 18s and the alcons are a good option on them too. standard brakes are sh*te!

andy

Last edited by andy888; 28-12-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 28-12-2009, 09:09 PM
JK99

Originally Posted by andy888

had 2 of these now. top one cost me Ł14.5k a few years ago, bottom one was just over 6k a couple years back. brilliant cars out the box. dont listen to any rumours about how to stop them blowing up etc in my experience its pot luck. my fisrt one (top one) i bought with 48k on it and it had blown up at 38k. my second one i bought with 94k on it and it blew up at 107k. it was remapped from new with an uprated pump etc in it. i ran a top spec oil in them both and changed it every 5k.

my pal owns one and it gets hammered day in day out and hadsnt seen fresh oil in 25k miles and is still going the best. i really think its pot luck but one thing i would advise is DONT buy one then drive about in it worrying if its gonna blow! buy it and rag it!

i wouldnt say it matters about the rebuild etc my last one got done reasonably cheap with a new STI9 nitrile coated crank etc. it also burned out an exhaust valve.

i fell in love with the styling of the P1 and would have another tomorrow. can be had for 5k now but obviouslt you get what you pay for! 18s and the alcons are a good option on them too. standard brakes are sh*te!

andy
Top one is stunning mate, got all the right bits on it.

Would disagree about the standard brakes tho - DBA discs, Endless pads, hoses and good fluid and they're spot-on. Maybe not for track days etc but more than enough for the road.

Joel
Old 28-12-2009, 09:19 PM
andy888

Originally Posted by Jigga
Top one is stunning mate, got all the right bits on it.

Would disagree about the standard brakes tho - DBA discs, Endless pads, hoses and good fluid and they're spot-on. Maybe not for track days etc but more than enough for the road.

Joel
aye a had endless problems with the standard 4 pots on my 2nd P1 mate. so chucked them in the bin and stuck a full set of gold brembos on. they werent as good as they looked though a would say the alcons were miles better in every way!

ye the top one was nice, the things you need to do to get a house
Old 28-12-2009, 10:03 PM
cozzy940

yes mate type r's def way to go has adjustable dccd so power can be split 50-50 / upto 70% to the rear and as said stronger rear diff better chassis, these dont come with abs, p1 has uk spec 5th gear, alot more car for your money with the type r
Old 28-12-2009, 10:09 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Very nice p1 m8,but,would still have a type-r .
Old 28-12-2009, 10:11 PM
andy888

Very nice p1 m8,but,would still have a type-r .
ye ma pals got the typeR one its a cracking car too. it blew up not so long ago as well. i just think its your donald duck. just enjoy them.

Last edited by andy888; 28-12-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 28-12-2009, 10:52 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Haven't got a clue what some folk are talking about, never heard of a bottom end seizing on them that's been built properly. If folk are stupid enough to run them dry of oil or re-use an oil-pump that is prone to failure - Subaru, Ford, Honda etc etc.

Who said any were run dry with used oil pumps or being built incorrectly? LOL

just cos you've never heard of it, doesnt mean it doesnt happen...

Or maybe I'm just imagining it all happen infront of my own eyes...

FEW cars do it, NOT EVERY ONE.
Old 28-12-2009, 11:04 PM
NEIL A
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I had wrx years ago and loved it , only did a clutch in the 2 years i owned it. My mate also had a lightly modded uk , while working in Germany he put 50K trouble free miles on it in a year and a half including loads of autoban runs.

Last edited by NEIL A; 28-12-2009 at 11:07 PM.
Old 28-12-2009, 11:26 PM
JK99

Who said any were run dry with used oil pumps or being built incorrectly? LOL

Or maybe I'm just imagining it all happen infront of my own eyes...

FEW cars do it, NOT EVERY ONE.
Never said you did, was just trying to explain how engines can seize like you described.

I honestly can't see how they can do this if they've been built properly and the owner isn't a complete mong - especially when you sounded like you were talking about fresh builds.

What I said about Oil Pumps could be a reason - they're known for failing but you'd hear knocking long before an engine just locked up. If you ignored that then yes, they could seize but you'd have to be epically stupid to let it get to that stage.

OP - Buy a Type R with a rebuild under it's belt and a Map by God and you'll be grinning like a retard in a car with flavoured windows.
Old 29-12-2009, 12:01 AM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Never said you did, was just trying to explain how engines can seize like you described.

I honestly can't see how they can do this if they've been built properly and the owner isn't a complete mong - especially when you sounded like you were talking about fresh builds.

What I said about Oil Pumps could be a reason - they're known for failing but you'd hear knocking long before an engine just locked up. If you ignored that then yes, they could seize but you'd have to be epically stupid to let it get to that stage.

OP - Buy a Type R with a rebuild under it's belt and a Map by God and you'll be grinning like a retard in a car with flavoured windows.
I think we've got to the source of the problems in this thread.

Who said me and my flat four destroying buddy lick windows together? LOL ... although don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with a bit of heavy window-lickage.

Or maybe I'm just imagining it all happen infront of my own retarded eyes...

A FEW cars do it, MAINLY THE ONES BELONGING TO THE REST OF MY PALS WHAT RIDE THE 'SPECIAL' BUS, BUT IT DOES HAPPEN NON-THEE-LESS.
Old 29-12-2009, 12:08 AM
JK99

I think we've got to the source of the problems in this thread.

LOL!
Old 29-12-2009, 12:10 AM
JK99

Looking at this post, is it only us Scottish cunts that own or have owned these motors..........well, all except Vroom.

Maybe it's so fuckin cold we've got nothin else to do!
Old 29-12-2009, 12:16 AM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Looking at this post, is it only us Scottish cunts that own or have owned these motors..........well, all except Vroom.

Maybe it's so fuckin cold we've got nothin else to do!
Haha, quite a lot of folk up here have had them. Pretty good on the shitty greasy roads in the winter!

Quick Reply: Subaru help