General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

egypt

Search this Thread

Old 30-03-2008, 08:37 PM
RS LOZWORTH
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default egypt

Going to egypt- sharm el sheik, this year in august, has anyone every been berfore? any good?
Old 30-03-2008, 08:39 PM
COCHYN
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to work in Egypt through the American University in Cairo every summer between 12-18 yrs old. You will love it. But be aware it is a cultural holiday more than anything else, and that you should show great respect towards the locals
Old 30-03-2008, 08:42 PM
RS LOZWORTH

ive heard the locals will do anything for pound coins ?!?
Old 30-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Nath
10K+ Poster!!

Hire a car, it'll be an experience
Old 30-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Gary F
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 30-03-2008, 08:45 PM
RS LOZWORTH

Originally Posted by Nath
Hire a car, it'll be an experience

can you hire cars there?? or is it travel by camel! lol
Old 30-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We've been to that area 4 times now, Dahab, Taba, Sharm el Sheik and Marsa Alam.

My advice is to stay in the best hotel you can get (in the case of Sharm, that would be the Hyatt Regency) as the area outside the hotel is practically third-world. The hotels however are beyond anything I have ever seen, they are out of this world.

If you like snorkelling/diving, do the trip to Tiran Island. It's magnificent.

We found the hotel staff among the friendliest people we have ever met, but have never approached anyone beyond the hotels.

Trending Topics

Old 30-03-2008, 08:46 PM
sbd16v
PassionFord Post Troll

this is going to be a long post but i have just cut and copyed it from another site after i posted my honeymoon pics

What can I say about the Honeymoon, there are not many words available to describe it. We went to Egypt as this is somewhere myself and Su have always wanted to go. We decided that we wanted to cruise the Nile instead of just staying in a hotel, so we booked a 5 star Nile cruise boat.

This time of the year is the most popular because of the weather 25-30 deg in the morning and cooling to 5-8 rather than 40-50 degrees in the shade during the summer. (That pic was taken early morning, hence the jackets lol)

There are so many things I could tell you about Egypt but I would be here all day typing, anyone that has been before will understand when I say it’s the most spectacularly amazing place I have ever been to. The temples were built 4000 years ago and just take your breath away.

I took a total of 700 photos but I will share a few with you now.

We went to a few different temples everyday, here is a few pictures to get an idea of them:

We went to the valley of the kings but due to not being allowed to take pics inside i dont have many good pics of it as its literally a valley from the outside.

We did get this one though:

All of the temples in Egypt are made from sandstone blocks that they then build into the temple as above

apart from one

Abu Simble is a temple that has been carved "into" a mountainside and I would say it’s the most amazing thing we saw all week in Egypt.

We had been told several times before we went that if we got the chance to go to Abu Simble then we should so when it was offered we snapped it up.

I do not have any pictures of inside as inside a lot of temples your not allowed to take photos but I do have some we purchased and this is a scan of the inside. It does not really show very well the size of the inside but if you imagine the walls of the temple of 5 meters behind these statues and then there are around 10 burial chambers cut in the walls each one being around 40 meters 2 meters high and 2 meters wide it should give you an idea of the size of the temple

Don’t forget that this was not built, it was carved into a mountainside and that's what makes it so amazing!

One of the best times to view the temples is at night when they are all lit up:

Back on the boat every day the staff who made up the room made "towel sculptures" lol

these are just a few:

and my favourite

LOL

On the last day we booked for a hot air balloon ride and what a fantastic end to our Honeymoon:

the balloon flight was brilliant and I will jump at the chance to go up in another

we got to fly over Luxor where the boat was moored and we took a few pics.

this is of a typical house in Luxor, they don’t bother with roofs as it only rains once every TEN years and then it’s only for a few mins lol

they also keep the animals in the house

well that’s about it,fantastic wedding followed by an amazing honeymoon what an end to 2007 and heres to a fantastic 2008

Rob
Old 30-03-2008, 08:47 PM
xr2irhys

girlfriend is there now , she be back next week!

its very nice , very hot , there is lots of stuff to do at night , e.g bars, restaurants, lots of shops , markets , discos, pubs, and tht, during august average temperature is 30c-50c ish , people do try to drag you into the shops and buy things.

says the mrs
Old 30-03-2008, 08:48 PM
RS LOZWORTH

nice
Old 30-03-2008, 08:55 PM
FULLBORE

me and my fiance went last year in june. It was extremely hot even then. in the 30's at 11pm! it was 26c in the SEA!!!!lol different kind of heat though. as C&B said make sure you get a good hotel. I would advise you arange your own transport to your hotel from the airport as we had a bad experience as they see you as a Ł note and rip you off. We stayed in our resort for two weeks and didnt leave it as we had our own private beech/shops etc so didnt really need to go outside our resort and our expirence put us off it tbo.our resort was about the size of heathrow airport and needed a bus to get round it lol. overall it was an excellent holiday and will deff be going again....p.s. you've gotta go scuba diving for an amazing experience!!!!!!!!!
Old 30-03-2008, 08:57 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sharm el sheikh gets a thumbs up from me too

Been twice and found it a lovely place to go and relax, fantastic if youre into diving/snorkelling
Old 30-03-2008, 08:58 PM
RS LOZWORTH

Originally Posted by FULLBORE
me and my fiance went last year in june. It was extremely hot even then. in the 30's at 11pm! it was 26c in the SEA!!!!lol different kind of heat though. as C&B said make sure you get a good hotel. I would advise you arange your own transport to your hotel from the airport as we had a bad experience as they see you as a Ł note and rip you off. We stayed in our resort for two weeks and didnt leave it as we had our own private beech/shops etc so didnt really need to go outside our resort and our expirence put us off it tbo.our resort was about the size of heathrow airport and needed a bus to get round it lol. overall it was an excellent holiday and will deff be going again....p.s. you've gotta go scuba diving for an amazing experience!!!!!!!!!
i was thinking about scuba diving, we r staying in the oriental resort if anyone has heard of it
Old 01-04-2008, 10:43 PM
FULLBORE

We stayed in the Domina Coral Bay Resort, but I am pretty sure all resorts in that area would be good, outside the resorts can be a little off putting, and the people can be quite pushy trying to get you to buy things...great experience though you'll love it.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:12 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm off to Egypt in about a months time!! Staying at Baron Palms resort in Sharks Bay, about 5kms from Sharm so hopefully not as touristy! Doing a Cairo trip and one to Luxor. Had all the injections last week and using sunbeds more frequently at the mo so I dont cremate when i get there!!!!!
Old 02-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cfoster
I'm off to Egypt in about a months time!! Staying at Baron Palms resort in Sharks Bay, about 5kms from Sharm so hopefully not as touristy! Doing a Cairo trip and one to Luxor. Had all the injections last week and using sunbeds more frequently at the mo so I dont cremate when i get there!!!!!
a bloke from work has just been to Baron Palms, he said it was fantastic we checked it out online and it looke very nice.

its right next to the hotel, you could walk it in 5 mins, lol, we stayed in the sierra savoy this year which is very close to the baron palm resort.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:16 PM
MATCOS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by sbd16v

I do not have any pictures of inside as inside a lot of temples your not allowed to take photos but I do have some we purchased and this is a scan of the inside. It does not really show very well the size of the inside but if you imagine the walls of the temple of 5 meters behind these statues and then there are around 10 burial chambers cut in the walls each one being around 40 meters 2 meters high and 2 meters wide it should give you an idea of the size of the temple

Don’t forget that this was not built, it was carved into a mountainside and that's what makes it so amazing!

Rob
I don't know if you saw this on tv recently, it was about how engineers cut up the twin temples of Abu Simbel into over 1,000 blocks to dismantle, and move them 2 miles piece by piece to safety on higher ground to stop them being lost under water when the area of land they stood on was flooded.

It was bloody amazing as I thought they had always been were you saw them

http://www.windfallfilms.com/product...ves_s3_p1.html

http://www.egyptologyblog.co.uk/2008/03/07.html

Last edited by MATCOS; 02-04-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:45 PM
geoffxr4
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Some great photo's there, egypt looks amazing