General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
View Poll Results: have we caused Global Warming?
Yes, we should all drive Prius's and live in tents
14.29%
No, Get a hummer! they are well cool!
85.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Global warming?

Search this Thread

Old 20-07-2007, 09:21 AM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Global warming?

with all these freak floods and rain happening, the issue of global warming has come up... again... i was wondering what peoples views were on this...

there was a horizon (i think) programme on a few months ago arguing that it wasnt going to overheat, but was merely an approximate 40 year cycle... of which we are reaching the peak. many people talk of recalling claims that we were going into another iceage during the 60's & 70's...

personally i believe we cannot go on living the way we should, however, how can a species that is basically a blip on the timeline of the earth, make such a big change in so little time? the earth has been around for approx 4.5 billion years... where as humans have been around for around 200,000 years... so it would seem reasonable to argue that we are being arrogant to believe we caused this global warming...

discuss please!
Old 20-07-2007, 09:34 AM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

Haha, I'll take the hummer. Funny thing is, if you floor it in the Prius, you'll end up consuming more fuel than in a same sized diesel car as the Prius is soooo fat and heavy. That car only makes sense in stop and go traffic. However stop and go traffic doesn't make sense itself... :P

Oh and btw, if you're really worried about global warming you could always decat your car as O2 and the toxic CO are converted to CO2 in there. :P

Car without cat - less CO2, lol...
Old 20-07-2007, 09:36 AM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

! thats some good thinking there!
Old 20-07-2007, 09:38 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

This planet will outlive humans way beyond when we've killed ourselves off.

I believe we are certainly contributing to changes in our climate, but to the point of cataclismic planet implosion, No.

I also don't necessarily believe that recent 'freak' weather is a result of climate change. THese events have been occuring for millions of years.

I think our impact is overexagerated, however we all have a very nice life, have petrol to put in the cars etc and these are fuelled by finite resources which should be managed accordingly.

We do have to get out of this wasteful mentality, not to save the planet but to save resources and money...............
Old 20-07-2007, 09:51 AM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

There's been a documentary on German TV months ago (i think it actually was a british documentary) and it said that there's no proof that the CO2 is causing global warming.

In fact they said that it's more likely that the power of the sun is varying all the time. When it gets stronger, it heats up the oceans which in turn release CO2 to the environment.

Briefly speaking: CO2's following the climate! Not the other way round.

They also said, that the whole big "lie" works so well because researching about global warming and CO2 will get you huge financial support and subsidies from the government.

So, why don't you just say that you're scientifically exploring the field of YB powered cars and there influence on global warming in order to get a free cossie paid by the European Union?
Old 20-07-2007, 09:54 AM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

thats the documentary i was on about in the first post! it was too convincing to not be true, if you know what i mean...
Old 20-07-2007, 09:57 AM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

Originally Posted by nilrem
thats the documentary i was on about in the first post! it was too convincing to not be true, if you know what i mean...
And now that even the US are following the CO2 hype, it can't have been faked by them either!

Trending Topics

Old 20-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by PeterRST
There's been a documentary on German TV months ago (i think it actually was a british documentary) and it said that there's no proof that the CO2 is causing global warming.

In fact they said that it's more likely that the power of the sun is varying all the time. When it gets stronger, it heats up the oceans which in turn release CO2 to the environment.

They also said, that the whole big "lie" works so well because researching about global warming and CO2 will get you huge financial support and subsidies from the government.

So, why don't you just say that you're scientifically exploring the field of YB powered cars and there influence on global warming in order to get a free cossie paid by the European Union?
This program was shortly discredited with using outdated information and choice editing.

Big up Bioethanol I say. 100+ ron anyone
Old 20-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

is it fuck, its just another way for the goverment to get more money off us!

saying that, if you go back a few thousand years you didnt have china making EVERYTHING for ALL the other countrys, as cavemen couldnt work a PC or make stuff etc

and they are the biggest polluter.

but i still think its a load of arse!
Old 20-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm up for compulsory CAT removing to reduce the CO2 we produce. I'm doing my bit fro the environment by running two cars with no CAT. You inconsiderate bastards don't care about the planet

Old 20-07-2007, 11:52 AM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

Originally Posted by Paul Eggleton
Originally Posted by PeterRST

This program was shortly discredited with using outdated information and choice editing.

Big up Bioethanol I say. 100+ ron anyone
you got any infor on the discrediting stuff? i was really interested in the global warming issue... and thought that programme was very informative... just looking for stuff that doesnt say "if we dont stop everything now the world will collapse!" which is very hard on the net!
Old 20-07-2007, 12:14 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

to base your whole outlook on one documentary is somewhat short sighted - discredited or not

personally, i don't really care either way. as engineers we have ways of alternative power for transport and energy that are already in place.

and i'm not intending on being here for all that much longer in the grand scheme of things, so i'm not really bothered what might happen with the climate, planet etc. i could be hit by a bus tomorrow, so there's no point worrying about the what ifs.
Old 20-07-2007, 12:18 PM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
to base your whole outlook on one documentary is somewhat short sighted - discredited or not
That's exactly what I was thinking after watching it. But then I browsed through the internet and found several reports written by other scientists which said the same.
Old 20-07-2007, 12:24 PM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

i wouldnt just base all my beliefs on one documentary... but it was really the only thing that wasnt preaching about the end of the world.. it just said that global worming is happening, and we are going to have to cut down on what we do... but the earth has been here alot longer than us so we aint going to make that bigger change in the 20 or so years the earths temperature is rising...
Old 20-07-2007, 12:31 PM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

Originally Posted by nilrem
i wouldnt just base all my beliefs on one documentary... but it was really the only thing that wasnt preaching about the end of the world.. it just said that global worming is happening, and we are going to have to cut down on what we do... but the earth has been here alot longer than us so we aint going to make that bigger change in the 20 or so years the earths temperature is rising...
Yeah, the guy who made the film was a bit like the only guy on an medieval market place asking not to burn the witch. And of course he also got some good slapping for that...

I tend to believe in things even more when "officials" tell me they're all lies...

Remember, in the 1930s some austrian government guy round here told us it would be a crackin idea to invade Poland.
Old 20-07-2007, 12:45 PM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

Here's a nice article by the way:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1363818.ece

It's not only conspiracy theorists!!!
Old 20-07-2007, 01:04 PM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

brilliant! thats the kinda stuff i was looking for... coz most of the time, all you get is scare mongering bull... when what you want is facts...
Old 20-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Carlsworth
Former Sponsor

i believe we re coming to the end of an iceage from everything ive read

carl
Old 20-07-2007, 01:15 PM
4x4
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by foreigneRS

personally, i don't really care either way. as engineers we have ways of alternative power for transport and energy that are already in place.

and i'm not intending on being here for all that much longer in the grand scheme of things, so i'm not really bothered what might happen with the climate, planet etc. i could be hit by a bus tomorrow, so there's no point worrying about the what ifs.
not the most diplomatic ways of thinking

"i wont go to school, uni to educate my self cause on my graduation day i could get hit by a bus" is something along the lines of what your saying.

we could all die in the next second but doesn't mean we should sit on our arses not doing our bit to go forwards in life even if that means do our bit to save the planet for future generations!
Old 20-07-2007, 01:18 PM
twinkle_2k86
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

IMO, if it is so true that we are fooking up the plant so much with polution etc, then im dam sure they would be doing something more about it. For fuck sake, they can put man on the moon, but cant use sea water for tap water And im sure they can come up with some sort of different power stations etc. Plus cant they use oil seed rape for fuel for diesels, you can use cookig oil, so surely they could use this instead of petrol/diesel etc.

Also the US has one of te most powerful goverments, so if they wanted to sort it out, im sure they would be anough countrys willing to join together to sort it.

Its all about money this world, and not about trying to sort it out, and until that changes nothing will ever be done properly, only use working people will be paying for the changes in extra taxes etc.
Old 20-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Graham S1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More worrying than global warming, is the amount of shit pumped and falling into our seas and oceans. A large chunk of the food chain will be wiped out before long.
Old 20-07-2007, 01:34 PM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

what twinkle said^^^
Old 20-07-2007, 02:10 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Originally Posted by 4x4
not the most diplomatic ways of thinking

"i wont go to school, uni to educate my self cause on my graduation day i could get hit by a bus" is something along the lines of what your saying.

we could all die in the next second but doesn't mean we should sit on our arses not doing our bit to go forwards in life even if that means do our bit to save the planet for future generations!
except that i did go to uni

if i could be convinced that if i changed my way of life regarding energy usage that it would have any effect on the planet, i might give it some more thought. as it is, i live my life in such a way that i am comfortable with.

that is not to say that i am wasteful of resources either.
Old 20-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Natural cycle imo

Global Warming= load of bollox
Old 20-07-2007, 02:21 PM
Diamonds.
BANNED
BANNED

i agree with Lee

im sure back in the late 70's they were coming out with the earth is cooling down now its the earth is warming up

i think its just down to shit happens sadly.

"cant rain all the time"
Old 20-07-2007, 03:04 PM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

Originally Posted by Graham S1
More worrying than global warming, is the amount of shit pumped and falling into our seas and oceans. A large chunk of the food chain will be wiped out before long.
Exactly! I read an essay written by a group of scientists saying that it's a shame that all the attention goes to CO2 and global warming while there are much more important environmental problems being neglected.
Old 20-07-2007, 03:23 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If its all true then whos fault was it that thousands of years ago the ice age ended who left all the TV"s on standby thousands of years ago ,,who was driving big 4x4"s ??

Its a natural change that the world has been going through for thousands of years and we will never stop it

Funny how it seams its only us brits that are trying to change the world and paying massivly in taxes to do it

Tax must be the only solution to change the natural world

why arnt there any other countries blabbing on about it like us ,,why is america , one of the worlds biggest poluters doing fook all to change the way they live ,,because there people dont put up with massive taxes like us idiots do , they do somthing about it rather than just moan like us brits
Old 20-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by NORTH YORKS RS SPARES
If its all true then whos fault was it that thousands of years ago the ice age ended who left all the TV"s on standby thousands of years ago ,,who was driving big 4x4"s ??

Its a natural change that the world has been going through for thousands of years and we will never stop it

Funny how it seams its only us brits that are trying to change the world and paying massivly in taxes to do it

Tax must be the only solution to change the natural world

why arnt there any other countries blabbing on about it like us ,,why is america , one of the worlds biggest poluters doing fook all to change the way they live ,,because there people dont put up with massive taxes like us idiots do , they do somthing about it rather than just moan like us brits
It's not called taxing.....it's called using market forces to create change

Whilst it's very easy to jump on either bandwagon for believing or not believing, there are some very good reasons other than global warming to change the way we do things.

Yes China is opening 2 power plants a week to feed growth but they are also still burning coal. Regardless of global warming the local smog they get in surrounding area's is frightening. You can't stiffle economic growth, but at the expense of long term health problems? They obviously don't really care as long as the economy grows, but thats not the best way of doing it.

On a smaller scale, the small stuff you can do at home can really save you some wedge; e.g. turning down thermostat's, turning off at the wall, energy efficient light bulbs etc
Old 20-07-2007, 03:42 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry mate that'll be my fault. Well the wife blames me for everything else I might as well take the blame for this as well
Old 21-07-2007, 04:18 PM
haighlsby
PassionFord Regular

Global warming = Global bulsh*t

Its changes in the sun, NOT us!!

Theres jack all we can do about it.
Old 21-07-2007, 04:19 PM
Tangodeltasierra3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Its all bollocks, its not as if its Spain under a foot of snow is it ?
Old 21-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Oranoco
Sorry mate that'll be my fault. Well the wife blames me for everything else I might as well take the blame for this as well
Old 21-07-2007, 05:05 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

I think its just the earth going though its changes what can our little country do to help the earth look at the size of america,u dont c them using little 1.1 cars do u they still have all the big v8 engines. I think the goverment r just making money out of it.
Old 21-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Mr Orange
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by Oranoco
You utter inconsiderate selfish single minded cunt!!!

May as well say it before 40 other people call you it,

i dont think that as humans we are responsible for global warming.

we do need to think about the amount of natural resources that we consume,

Nuclear power is a winner imo, it provides cheap clean power, the french have it to power the whole railway network, and the water thats used is pumped into local swimming pools, its 100% safe before you say anything about mutant kids.

only problem is where the hell does the waste go
Old 22-07-2007, 02:04 PM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The hilarious thing is, loads of people watched 'The Great Global Warming Swindle' and I for one was totally convinced by the evidence presented because this wasnt one mans theory, this was theory of several eminant scientists from around the world supported by evidence from hundreds of years in most cases and thousands in others

So the government have comminssioned another study to de-bunk the claims made in the program.... using evidence gathered from the last 20 years...

SO.... hundreds of years... vs 20 years... Hmmmmmmmmm

Also... if we are talking carbon foot print what was ours like while we went through our Industrial Revolution and then through for the first 80 years of the last century when everyone had a coal fire, Smogs in London were killing people the polution was soo bad.

Its all a con and the more people the stand up and say its a con the sooner we can get rid of these ridiculous claims and people can go back to enjoying their lifes.

I do believe we should be environmentally friendly, but I just dont buy this whole global warming shit.
Old 22-07-2007, 02:10 PM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

As for flooding... this is partly down to extensive building on the floor plains of rivers, which local councils should prevent greedy developers doing, but they dont.

Along with poor maintenance of storm drains etc and poor river maintenance.

When I was a kid back in the 70's the council came round at least 6 times a year and pumped out the shite from the drains in the street to ensure they flowed freely.

You never see that happening now.

Because the weather has been so good for so long and rainfall has been dropping the councils have been able to save money on regular maintenance, in the same way that the warmer winters have saved on the road gritting budget.... but there comes a time after these budgets have been cut year on year when all of a sudden it bites back.

And its biting back at the moment.
Old 22-07-2007, 05:44 PM
Wazzzer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

thats exactly what I say to anyone who goes on about global warming

Agree with Paul though, you'll save energy by turning thermostats down etc so if you don't want to do it for any other reason, just do it to save yourself some money
Old 22-07-2007, 07:14 PM
cossiegreg1
PassionFord Post Troll

I heard something that a cow gives off more polution in a week than a big 4x4.
Old 23-07-2007, 07:42 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Originally Posted by neilm
Also... if we are talking carbon foot print what was ours like while we went through our Industrial Revolution and then through for the first 80 years of the last century when everyone had a coal fire, Smogs in London were killing people the polution was soo bad.
it was terrible - but we were pioneering technology then and we can pass on our knowledge to the developing world to help them to not make the same mistakes

having said that, we all hear the statistic about china building 2 coal powered power stations a week - but that is not a verified figure, and we don't know what technology they are using. coal burning does not necessarily mean lots of dirty clouds of smoke - we have them over here and nobody goes mental over them

Quick Reply: Global warming?