General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Depression

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 10:11 PM
T28 RST
Ok then

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Depression

Does anyone suffer from it or maybe in the past suffered from it

Up untill November last year i had heard of it but knew nothing about it until i found out the real reasons behind it, i was admitted to hospital where i was 5hitting it but once i overcame the un-natural surroundings i was ok with it, learned loads about it and got excellent care.

Walking down the coradoor and seeing the signs for "mental health unit", that really freaked me out

Since then ive been back in again and was lucky to get out for Christmas

I can now see what Depression is and the way it affects people, it has a stigma that goes with it but the people that think your a loony are the ones who ddont understand what its all about.

I dont have a problem with it and who knows coz i know for a fact there is thousands out there that either suffer from it or know someone that suffers from it.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:13 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont suffer from it, but I have a couple of friends that do. It can be a very very serious condition if left untreated.

Glad to hear that you have dealt with it matey

JJ
Old 07-04-2007, 10:15 PM
PT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I tend to think that some people think they have it when they dont.

One of my mates got given anti depressants coz she misses her boyfriend so much. I mean get a fuckin grip
Old 07-04-2007, 10:15 PM
Red_GTi
Part of the Furniture

as jj said it is dangerous, not taken as seriously as it should be

I had a mate in school suffering from it, he was in a bad way but nobody really knew
Old 07-04-2007, 10:20 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

the first sign on the road to recovery is realising that you actually have it, i think everyone has depressive tendencies but whether they amount to something depends on the individual, its not a nice thing to suffer from though, and seeing family members and friends go through it isnt a nice experience
Old 07-04-2007, 10:21 PM
T28 RST
Ok then

If untreated it can lead to suicide

Everyone gets depressed from time to time but others seem to get it far worse
Old 07-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by T28 RST
If untreated it can lead to suicide

Everyone gets depressed from time to time but others seem to get it far worse

depends on your support network etc id imagine, and how well you can cope in situations

some people get depression very VERY easily others it takes a hell of a lot
Old 07-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Katie

It's like anything...some people have more resiliance to being kicked in the shin than others...so some have a resiliance to being depressed...I'm pretty sure there's a certain switch that could knock any of us with it though..

Problem is...the people who have it really, really bad..are the ones you can't tell until it's too late in one way or another.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:25 PM
T28 RST
Ok then

Medication works wonders, i know it isnt a cure but it does help you get on with day to day life
Old 07-04-2007, 10:30 PM
ellicoss
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I was treated about 8 years ago for it all it needs is something to start it off mine was a car crash nothing major just triggerd it off as said not a nice fealing had panic attacks with it people only joke about it as said as they dont understand it
Old 08-04-2007, 12:18 AM
Jade1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The thing that pisses me off is the people that go "oh im so depressed, my new clothes have just ruined" over something pathetic, when there are actually the serious things out there that go unoticed, even trying to hint to the doctors that you have depression they dont fuck all about it, believe me
Old 08-04-2007, 12:55 AM
snedboy
BANNED
BANNED

Been there done that

NOT a nice experience atall.Ended up in a coma for 2 days then spent a few weeks in hospital trying to recover from it.Seen upteen phsyciatrists didnt help much for me,was on prozac strongest they could give me and max amount daily dosage,still didnt help ended up fucked off to holland stopped takin tabs 1 day ended up at doctors over there with passing out with panic attacks at work etc back on tabs still didnt help so binned em again and still to this day (going back 6 years!!) i still suffer depression from time to time and panic attacks are horrendous at times.

I know how it feels and dont wanna slip too far down the road again with it but feel shitty from time to time and just take a deep breath go and hide for a few days and im fine again haha.In all seriousness though i hate it and it rules my life so much at the moment as i cant get a job through it cause i hate meeting new people etc now and cant stand situations i cant get out of cause if i take a panic attack i just leave the place or situation and go back when i feel better.

Not fun atall
Old 08-04-2007, 04:48 AM
starturbo
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by snedboy
Been there done that

NOT a nice experience atall.Ended up in a coma for 2 days then spent a few weeks in hospital trying to recover from it.Seen upteen phsyciatrists didnt help much for me,was on prozac strongest they could give me and max amount daily dosage,still didnt help ended up fucked off to holland stopped takin tabs 1 day ended up at doctors over there with passing out with panic attacks at work etc back on tabs still didnt help so binned em again and still to this day (going back 6 years!!) i still suffer depression from time to time and panic attacks are horrendous at times.

I know how it feels and dont wanna slip too far down the road again with it but feel shitty from time to time and just take a deep breath go and hide for a few days and im fine again haha.In all seriousness though i hate it and it rules my life so much at the moment as i cant get a job through it cause i hate meeting new people etc now and cant stand situations i cant get out of cause if i take a panic attack i just leave the place or situation and go back when i feel better.

Not fun atall
been there done that.your description is first class mate.first time ive seen anyone describe it as it is.mine started when i went to town,got out the car and started shakin on the high street.couldnt face havin people around me and felt really vunerable.persevear and you get there though.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:09 AM
diesel2000
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Im busy going through it now mate. Broke up from my wife in January and she has my 10 month old daughter. It came out of the blue too, I thought I was doing okay, odd days I felt a bit down, I developed a bit of a nervous twitch but I never realised what was up. If anything I was too hyper, always playing practical jokes etc.

One day at work a Tanker Driver did something he shouldnt have and I just went totally ballistic, started throwing things around, screaming and swearing at him. My mam told me to go see a Doctor, I did, and he related loads of things to me being stressed and depressed. Everything from a rash I had to my mood swings and twitch. I certainly dont fully understand it, and I know for definate that not many people do understand it. Too many people are too quick to say 'Snap Out Of It' and its just not that easy.

I refused medication as I really dont take pills (not even asprin). But I have started exercising, cut back the booze (a little), may go to counselling and even might try Yoga as the Doc thinks that will help, so hopefully I will get better without anti depressants.

I was put on the sick for two weeks and I was done in, it didnt help at all. I just felt that because I wasnt at work there was no need to get out of bed and no need to refrain from drinking, so after the two weeks was up I returned to work. To be honest, my gaffer is great, she always asks how I am and tries her best to keep my workload and hours sensible.

Oh and the Tanker Driver stays well out of my way too, he really thinks I was going to kill him!!

Hope you get it sorted mate, its not always easy to understand why you are depressed, you just know you are. I respect anyone who doesnt just wallow in self pity and gets themselves help, sod everyone who wants to attach stigma to depression, its an illness that 1 in 10 men suffer from at some point in their lives.

Good luck fella
Old 08-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

suffer from it and panic attacks not nice at all
Old 08-04-2007, 10:25 AM
rabmc
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was off work for 8-9 weeks with "depression" a few years back, for some reason i dont like to think of it like that or even call it that , dont no why really , but anyway started thinking some crazy thoughts here and there about dying (sounds mad i know) as in cant shake it , will get older and thats it etc blah blah blah dont really wont to get into it , now still get these thoughts now and then and get a sudden panic but for some reason can control it better in my head anyway thats all really

fine now , dying fcuk it
Old 08-04-2007, 10:36 AM
Kam B
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i had depression at one point, but only found out from docs after, how does that work

my depression caused me to have alopecia which made me loose patches of hair on my head - i went docs for that but then found out the causes of it, i didnt take any medication for it because around that time i bought a cosworth and to be honest made me happy and also made me forget about certain things

be around freinds helps too
Old 08-04-2007, 10:36 AM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry to hear that davie,cant imagine you depressed as you're always up for a laugh.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:38 AM
rabmc
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KSA-Cossie
Sorry to hear that davie,cant imagine you depressed as you're always up for a laugh.
Its usually those ones mate that are sometimes more prone to depression! you also find alot of comics end up this way , the reason i dont know
Old 08-04-2007, 11:20 AM
CARLOS100

Had it now for four and half very long years and its shit. Got no energy to do anything and totally cant be arsed with life. Bought an RS 500 last year afer a lot of years of not owning a RS and that was the best year of the four ever. Meeting good friends that have a good outlook is the best medical help that you can get. No longer have the 500 because of a divorce and house move but looking out for another RS to make things a bit better again. Carl
Old 08-04-2007, 12:45 PM
T28 RST
Ok then

Cheers for all the replies

It just shows you how widespread it is and the best thing to do is get help because it wont go away
Old 08-04-2007, 06:28 PM
wul young
Regular Contributor

watched a good friend go through same thing m8,totally heartbreakin if left untreated like he did!!

keep ur head up davie m8!!!!!
Old 08-04-2007, 07:03 PM
T28 RST
Ok then

Check this fuckin knob out on the RSOCBB

Hes one of the uneducated pricks that would call you a loony

Originally Posted by scrumbow
Being depressed doesnt mean your mentally ill.

People get depressed for countless reasons including England not winning the world cup, people loosing their jobs, failing exams, driving tests, interviews for jobs, splitting up with girl friends, being guzzmped on a dream house etc etc....... its a normal part of the highs and lows of life.

Some people get so so depressed that they have to see head doctors etc or take " happy pills " from head doctors but thats a few out of countless billions of people on this planet.

Any one who thinks people who get depressed are nut jobs, need to step back and go back to a point in their lives when they got depressed about some thing and think ........
http://bbs.rsownersclub.co.uk/showthread.php?p=1033964
Old 08-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

I'm suprised Davie, least your ok though mate!

I must admit, I know nothing about depression, I feel pretty 'down' about a few things at the moment but wouldn't go classing it as depression...
Old 08-04-2007, 07:45 PM
christianh3

Originally Posted by T28 RST
Check this fuckin knob out on the RSOCBB

Hes one of the uneducated pricks that would call you a loony

Originally Posted by scrumbow
Being depressed doesnt mean your mentally ill.

People get depressed for countless reasons including England not winning the world cup, people loosing their jobs, failing exams, driving tests, interviews for jobs, splitting up with girl friends, being guzzmped on a dream house etc etc....... its a normal part of the highs and lows of life.

Some people get so so depressed that they have to see head doctors etc or take " happy pills " from head doctors but thats a few out of countless billions of people on this planet.

Any one who thinks people who get depressed are nut jobs, need to step back and go back to a point in their lives when they got depressed about some thing and think ........
http://bbs.rsownersclub.co.uk/showthread.php?p=1033964
lol scrumbow...i remember that username when the rsoc bb was txt based maybe 2000/2001...he/she often posted drivel (IMO).

Mental illness, including depression, has got a stigma attached, although i think it's getting better ie more accepted as an illness, because it fucking is !

A close family member was sectioned earlier in the year, the actual ward they were on changed alot of my preconceptions about mental hospitals...it was like a fucking hotel lol!!! And a decent one at that (just with a few loons in it JOKE!!).
Old 08-04-2007, 09:25 PM
JayKay

I work with people with mental disabilities on a daily basis (im a support worker trained in this field to work with depressives, schizophrenics etc)...OK there are some scary people out there and some scary shit doesnt half go on on some wards of mental hospitals

BUT, a high majority of them are pretty much normal! One of the lasses im supporting at this moment was in prison for petty shoplifting and drug offences etc, was classed as a mild schizophrenic and also told she was depressed was in hospital for about a year then in residential care...now shes back in her own flat and to sit with her in the pub nobody would be any the wiser!!

Have just got her onto self medicating this past week acctually (was a case of sending a carer in to administer the medication previously) however she is now pretty much self sufficient just had a meeting with me on a weekly basis and then one with her cpn every fortnight

Agree that it is far more widespread than many people anticipate however...My ex g/fs mum used to suffer from it but could you hell tell...
Old 08-04-2007, 09:55 PM
kiddie
Advanced PassionFord User

T28 sorry to hear about that mate. Its something that alot of people suffer from and it is not very pleasent at all. It's often hard to talk about to people and other peoples views on here make me feel more normal. Its something that you will deal with and you've made the first big step in finding/admitting the problem.
Good luck fella