General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Whose had a hernia?

Search this Thread

Old 18-06-2006, 08:15 AM
RA052824
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whose had a hernia?

Very off topic i know and i'm guessing a few people may not want to talk about it so please dont get offended in any way but i was just wondering whose had a hernia and how long it took for the wound to actully heal up.

I had an operation on the 6th to remove one knowing that i had a 2 week holiday to Cyprus booked for the 2nd July. I was told by the doc i should be alrite for it (alrite to go, not alrite to get pissed out my nut and go sky diving etc) ... It's been two weeks now and therefore 2 weeks to go. I can't get holiday insurance untill its closed up and passengers can't be changed 10 days before the holiday as i've found someone that is more than happy to take my place. I know health is more important than a holiday but i didn't go away last year due to work load and i don't really want to lose the deposit and any other amount they decide to add on!!

Basically it's doing my head in and i have 5 days for it to heal which makes a total of 2 weeks & 2 days since going under the knife!!! Is there chance?

Oh and i can't work, go gym, drive, play football, drink and even jump up when england score!!! This sucks!!!!
Old 18-06-2006, 08:27 AM
Jemma
Dan's Ass Kicker

I had a unblical hernia when i was little (i know thats not what you mean) that took months to get better.
Had a operation last year in the same place and i was back to work in 2 weeks and out drinking the next day
Just take it easy and do as the doc says.. make sure you keep the area clean, you dont want to be rushed in hosp with suspected MRSA like me
If its not closed, just stop off at a shop on way to garage and stick it 2getha using super glue
Old 18-06-2006, 08:53 AM
mattbibs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

my mate had one last summer. not sure how long the wound took to heal but he was climbing the walls wanting to go back to work after 4/8 of the weeks he had off!

will have a word with him today - guessing no longer than 2 weeks to heal.

are you doing anything streneous (sp) to affect it?
Old 18-06-2006, 08:58 AM
RA052824
BANNED
BANNED

Not at all, i'm numb of bordem!!! All i've been doing is sitting watching the football and enjoying the heat outside! Only thing i done was get bit excited when crouchy scored the other day and that hurt!
Old 18-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Rs1
Advanced PassionFord User

I guess everbodys recovery time differs and also depends on how bad the op is but a few lads that i train with have had multiple op's and go back to training 2-3 weeks later.
One bloke has had 3 Not fun at all
Old 18-06-2006, 10:15 AM
RA052824
BANNED
BANNED

Yea once a weakness there always a weakness! The fact i'm only 21 means theres a 99% chance i'll have it again sometime in my life! Can't wait!
Old 18-06-2006, 11:20 AM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a hernia from lifting at work,
when you say "remove one" you dont remove anything.
Mine was where my intestine was poping out of the adominal wall,this was repaired,simular to a puncter repair on a bike tyer but instead of glue they use staples.
I had a 3 1/2 inch long tear and was not an "easy fix".

The stiches were out after 2 weeks but i had problems sleeping and in general movement for about 4-6 weeks,i couldnt lift anything for about 1-2 months,probably no more than a full kettle of water.

I went back to work after 8 weeks off although my doctor wasnt pleased about it and didnt lift anything at work for 12 months.

5years on i still feel a "twinge" now and again and would be supprised if it came back sooner or later.

good luck and if you need any other help give us a shout.
Old 18-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I've had 2 mate - both sides done. I was told 'oh yeah in a fortnight you'll be back to normal'.

My fucking arse. I reckon a minimum of 6 weeks from experience and be careful of the wound as it easily pops open due to where it is. And it hurts like fucking murder too for at least a fortnight.
Old 18-06-2006, 12:14 PM
RA052824
BANNED
BANNED

See, mine is about 3inchs+ and they didnt stitch or staple me!!! Surely that would of been best. I've been back twice to get the dressing changed due to it weaping and still no stitches! Another major issue is around 6 weeks ago i started with a new company and am on the normal 3 month trial period! I've worked there for 4 weeks, had 2 weeks off already and by sounds of it another 4 - 6 weeks off. Hopfully they'l understand. I'm going to probably pop in the office mid next week and explain!!!

Steve, not lifting for 12 months?? Thats crazy!!!
Old 18-06-2006, 01:45 PM
Steve200+
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by st3v3
Mine was where my intestine was poping out of the adominal wall,this was repaired,simular to a puncter repair on a bike tyer but instead of glue they use staples.
Steve, I've got one of these (apologies for thread-jack) and I'm putting off having it sorted, it's only small, not causing any problems atm... What's it feel like when they start poking around... I've had a bad experience with local anaesthetic
Old 18-06-2006, 05:21 PM
SteveB
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Took me 6 weeks before I was anywhere near getting back to any sort or nomality...
Old 18-06-2006, 06:10 PM
RA052824
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Steve200+
Steve, I've got one of these (apologies for thread-jack) and I'm putting off having it sorted, it's only small, not causing any problems atm... What's it feel like when they start poking around... I've had a bad experience with local anaesthetic
Don't put it off mate, i put mine off for a few weeks! Wish i never did! At first i was able to push it back in myself and then watchit come out after about 10 seconds or so, then it was permanently out, then it started to hurt and i was lucky enough to have private health care with my company so got it sorted near enough straight away. Get it looked at asap. As for anasthetic, i have bad experience with them aswell, always sick after. But its got to be done!
Old 18-06-2006, 06:17 PM
AndyBlackFRST

Originally Posted by BUTLER
See, mine is about 3inchs+ and they didnt stitch or staple me!!! Surely that would of been best. I've been back twice to get the dressing changed due to it weaping and still no stitches! Another major issue is around 6 weeks ago i started with a new company and am on the normal 3 month trial period! I've worked there for 4 weeks, had 2 weeks off already and by sounds of it another 4 - 6 weeks off. Hopfully they'l understand. I'm going to probably pop in the office mid next week and explain!!!

I had one a few years back about the same size as yours.. maybe 5 inches though. Was not pleasent having to get dressings changed etc al the time.

Took 2 weeks they said but after 2 weeks walking wasn't great. I wouldn't want to go n holiday that soon after having it all sewn back together.

Took me a long time before I was back to normal
Old 18-06-2006, 06:51 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

that was the tear on the inside not the visible cut on the outside,
Old 18-06-2006, 06:57 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Steve200+
Dont put it off matey, as they can not get better by them selves.
During the initial check ups there was no pain or problems at all.although i was a bit sore for a while after the opp.

Depending what you wiating lists are like in your area it might take up to a year to get to the point of the opp so i would go and see someone asap.
Old 18-06-2006, 06:59 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I lift normally about 45 killos upwards on a constant daily basis,thats why i didnt lift
Old 30-06-2006, 01:45 AM
Steve200+
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Dragging this back up to the top again

I take it all back guys, getting it sorted is definitely the best plan, lifted a 50kg bag of cement before, and something went, now it's fucking killing me

When the painkillers wear off, time for a trip to the doc's ... goddamn, I can see why people get them sorted now.. feels like someone's prodding me in the stomach with a skewer, even after the painkillers! might as well have it under local if it's gonna feel like this
Old 30-06-2006, 08:37 AM
Mark B

always had a small hernia since i was young above my belly button, never gave me any bother till i started going to the gym then it popped out one day an hurt like fook, went to the docs an they said yep its got bigger........ so what use gonna do about it? nothing its not to worry about as its only minor its about a inch or more accross,

so asked what im to do about going to the gym etc.... just stop going, so fook them im gonna keep going an if it gets worse ill have myself a op out of the nhs lol,

money grabbing fooks.

MB.