General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Have you ever been charged by your bank????

Search this Thread

Old 21-11-2006, 08:36 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

just about to send the first letter "Data Protection Act request letter" but I need to know how far back I can request the statements from. Obviously the further back the better as there will be more charges.

help please.
Old 21-11-2006, 09:19 AM
shaun1967
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5 years in Scotland unless you have an english address or the bank is in England.
6 years in England, NI, Wales
Old 21-11-2006, 10:34 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just read through the whole 21 pages!!! Just called halifax to get the last 6 years statements! I didnt realise ive banked with them since 1994!!!!

Also, can this reclaim be done on bank accounts / credit card accounts which have been closed? I had a few fines with on Lloyds account but closed the account straight after! Is it a no hoper or worth trying?

Chris
Old 21-11-2006, 10:40 AM
vroomtshh
Advanced PassionFord User

It can be done on closed accounts. I have just done mine
Old 21-11-2006, 10:42 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Sweet!! Ill be sifting through the statements!!!!

Cheers
Chris
Old 21-11-2006, 10:55 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

just tried to call nationwide to get the last 6 years worth of statements and they want £6 per statement which works out to £432 quid for all statements over 6 years im trying to get out of debt not further into it

Have just re-registered online so will try and pull them off from there.

But how are all you guys sending a cheque for a tenner then getting all your statements?

Is Nationwide trying to scam me?
Old 21-11-2006, 10:59 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I just called the Halifax, they said it costs £5 to get all statements for 6 years so no cheque to pay!
Old 21-11-2006, 11:04 AM
shaun1967

yep and halifax are one of the easier ones to get the charges back from as well
Old 21-11-2006, 11:30 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Shaun - am i being taken for a ride then with regards to £6 per statement?
Old 21-11-2006, 12:18 PM
shaun1967

Originally Posted by R4N S S
Shaun - am i being taken for a ride then with regards to £6 per statement?
yes mate £10 MAX under the data protection act

allthough whatever you pay can be added to the claim
Old 21-11-2006, 12:39 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

£10 max

right im gonna phone the branch back up then and see what they have to say about this.
Old 21-11-2006, 01:16 PM
shaun1967

you have got to have requested them under the dpa though
Old 21-11-2006, 01:26 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Shaun - im trying it now mate.

Will let you know how i get on.

Cant thank you enough for your help so far
Old 21-11-2006, 02:14 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

just foned the bank and they say it is £5 or £6 quid PER STATEMENT and that the data protection act does not imply here.

Do i just send them the first letter?

Shaun help mate.
Old 21-11-2006, 02:21 PM
shaun1967

thats total rubbish mate, they are either genuinly havent a ***ing clue what they are on about in which case they shouldnt be answering the phone. or they are just trying to stop you claiming.

send the dpa mate with a £10 postal order recorded or take it in with £10 cash and get a reciept
they will send them to you or the Data control officer will be losing his job
Old 21-11-2006, 02:26 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Can I send a £10 cheque instead?
Old 21-11-2006, 02:37 PM
shaun1967

yes but barage them with phone calls afterwards to make sure they cash it
Old 21-11-2006, 02:51 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

will do
Old 21-11-2006, 03:23 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

right - letter is ready and printed.

Will get a postal order tomorrow from the post office made payable to Nationwide?
Old 21-11-2006, 03:47 PM
shaun1967

excellent
Old 21-11-2006, 04:03 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

I've never been charged by my bank because I know EXACTLY whens money is going out, comming in.

Note every expenditure on my phone and check it off my on-line banking.

Thing is what you people forget is that there is actually some work involved in returning things.

Someone enters a cheque on the system, then if its bounced the cheque has to be stamped retuned to the person who cashed it.

Direct debit are automated so minimal cost. Standing orders the same. But still someone enters it on the system.

But yes the costs definitely dont come to 35 odd pounds.... back in the 50's it did!

But then again think this, if it was a quid, how many of you would use your card, write cheques, withdraw cash ect ect and think

"fuck it I'll only get charged a quid."

So many people get charges already, if it only cost a quid EVERYONE will do it.

The charges is there to STOP you overspending. Its a "penalty" charge.

If you get charges its your own fault. I've never paid anything other than od intrest.
Old 21-11-2006, 05:09 PM
shaun1967

Originally Posted by MadMac
I've never been charged by my bank because I know EXACTLY whens money is going out, comming in.

Note every expenditure on my phone and check it off my on-line banking.

Thing is what you people forget is that there is actually some work involved in returning things.

Someone enters a cheque on the system, then if its bounced the cheque has to be stamped retuned to the person who cashed it.

Direct debit are automated so minimal cost. Standing orders the same. But still someone enters it on the system.

But yes the costs definitely dont come to 35 odd pounds.... back in the 50's it did!

But then again think this, if it was a quid, how many of you would use your card, write cheques, withdraw cash ect ect and think

"fuck it I'll only get charged a quid."

So many people get charges already, if it only cost a quid EVERYONE will do it.

The charges is there to STOP you overspending. Its a "penalty" charge.

If you get charges its your own fault. I've never paid anything other than od intrest.

Well theres always one you have a very narrow mind on the whole concept of this. people are falling into debt because of these charges. and so what if it only costs a pound it only costs a pound the law states they are not allowed to make a profit, so why are you backing something that is unlawfull. Or is it because you are worried that the subsidised free banking that you have enjoyed maybe on its way out.
First Direct have announced a £10 fee for banking to subsidise the bank charges being reclaimed whilst at the same time announcing record profits. The Law is the law and just because you have enough to live on and systematically check through everything doesnt mean everyone else cannot make mistakes, some people are useless at maths for a start. Get in the real world.
Old 21-11-2006, 05:16 PM
Daviet
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well mac that is excellent for you shame not everyone i as perfect as you
i take it you dont have lots of monthly outgoings and have never come in to hard times ie not working off sick bla bla and not been able to make payments??oh i forgot you just got your family to pay it didn't you..
unfortunately not everyone is in the same situation
Old 21-11-2006, 05:47 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Daviet
i take it you dont have lots of monthly outgoings and have never come in to hard times ie not working off sick bla bla and not been able to make payments??oh i forgot you just got your family to pay it didn't you..
Not a lot of out-goings? About 60% of my money goes out before I've even looked at it. Not to mention I help support my Girlfriend too.

As for when I was out of work for six months I had "savings" to live off. And right now I have enough saved to last me four/five months in notice accounts. I cant touch it unless I was desperate to.

The only one time I had money given to me was when my mother did it without my knowledge because I refused to take it. But I'd given her a hundred times the ammount she gave me over the years. So not really a point to hold over me.

Its all about managing your money properly. Do it right, you'd never get charges.

Can you imagine if charges were only £1? How many payments would be bounced, how many cheques returned, how many companies & people would be stuck with late payments and then not be able to pay staff & bills ect.

Its there to punish you for not keeping to your commitments & to protect the people who take your money.

Can ya tell I work for a bank yet
Old 21-11-2006, 05:55 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Daviet
Not a lot of out-goings? About 60% of my money goes out before I've even looked at it. Not to mention I help support my Girlfriend too.

As for when I was out of work for six months I had "savings" to live off. And right now I have enough saved to last me four/five months in notice accounts. I cant touch it unless I was desperate to.

The only one time I had money given to me was when my mother did it without my knowledge because I refused to take it. But I'd given her a hundred times the ammount she gave me over the years. So not really a point to hold over me.

Its all about managing your money properly. Do it right, you'd never get charges. And you'll find if you can do that, the bank will be a lot more flexible and will probably help you & refund one off charges.

Can you imagine if charges were only £1? How many payments would be bounced, how many cheques returned, how many companies & people would be stuck with late payments and then not be able to pay staff & bills ect.

Its there to punish you for not keeping to your commitments & to protect the people who take your money.

Can ya tell I work for a bank yet
Old 21-11-2006, 05:58 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

SHUT UP STU

your getting a loan to build a xr2

so your not exactly a perfect candidate

(all said as a light hearted joke )
Old 21-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Daviet
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at the end of the day you could blab on for days mate you wont change the law your just worried about your bonus and any profit making share schemes yous probably run
i for one will be getting ALL my money back that yous have STOLE
Old 21-11-2006, 06:00 PM
shaun1967

So how do you differentiate between people that have made a genuine mistake and are a few pence short for a direct debit, the bank then charges them say £38 wich then puts them overdrawn (the whole reason they didnt pay it in the frist place) then for being overdrawn they get charged another £38. now some people cannot pay this £76 back so they get charged a few days later another £38 thats a whopping £114 for being a few pence short. so now the bank takes their money so someone else doesnt get paid so they get charged by them as well. so for that few pence the debt is spiralling all because people like you and the *&@@ing banks are greedy ba****s now we are right back to where you said companies not getting paid wages not being met. just because the bank could not look after there long serving customer who has never put a foot wrong in 10 years. So who is it that is being irresponsible the customer for making a genuine mistake of a few pence or the profit hungry banks that just see another victim. would it have really hurt the bank to pay those pennies and demand that back instead of ruining there customers life.
Old 21-11-2006, 06:09 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

If I look at an account and see its a one off or a mistake then yes I'll quite happily refund charge because its just that a mistake & one off. Infact the other day I refunded £300.

I'll easily refund £700 a week if not more.

I'll then talk to them about what the situation is and advise them accordingly how to avoid the charges.

But if they don't listen and then moan on about not being able to work and that's why they couldn't pay their £40 sky bill or the £60 gym membership that do my nut.

If you aint got the money dont spend it, its that simple.

Sorry, but if they wont help themselves, the Bank wont help them.
Old 21-11-2006, 06:18 PM
shaun1967

If I look at an account and see its a one off or a mistake then yes I'll quite happily refund charge because its just that a mistake & one off. Infact the other day I refunded £300.

I'll then talk to them about what the situation is and advise them accordingly how to avoid the charges.

But if they don't listen and then moan on about not being able to work and that's why they couldn't pay their £40 sky bill or the £60 gym membership that do my nut.

If you aint got the money dont spend it, its that simple.

Sorry, but if they wont help themselves, the Bank wont help them.
I agree with all of that but dont put everyone in the same bracket, the majority of people we help are genuine. and it doesnt change the fact that the law states that banks cannot profit from these charges. Its the law fullstop. The banks have had thousands of opportunities to show there actual costs. And as for other companies not getting paid if they only charged a pound that comment belongs in parliament because you are saying that they are not doing it for greed but they are saving the world now. the bills still arent getting paid anyway cos you are refusing to do that. the only difference is the bank £31 billion profit margin that despite repaying these charges are still making record profits.
Old 21-11-2006, 07:36 PM
lamb chops
PassionFord Post Whore!!

My letter before action went off today, court date will be booked next

MadMac give me back my £6000!!

Ranj, you sure they dont want £6 per statment per account? So your £6 gets you six years worth of statments for that account?
Old 21-11-2006, 11:13 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by lamb chops
My question would be how the fuck did you rack £6k in charges!!!

Was that over a period of time in an account you put money into, or an account you didn't use?!?!
Old 21-11-2006, 11:44 PM
shaun1967

one of our members has just got 27k back on three accounts and they are well off (especially now) and they have a perfect credit rating and always have.

work that one out
Old 22-11-2006, 08:46 AM
jbsportstech

I have started the process with natwest to recover all the money have had out of me!

I heard on hear some peeps just ask the bank over the phone for 6 years statement so I thought i'd give it a try before sending a letter and a £10.

Natwest said no problem and charged me £5 for statement going back till 01/11/2000. Say it take 4-5 working days so its worth a try!
Old 22-11-2006, 10:03 AM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by shaun1967
one of our members has just got 27k back on three accounts and they are well off (especially now) and they have a perfect credit rating and always have.

work that one out
I'm a Business Relationship Manager who specializes with customers who have poor credit historys. Penalty charges do not show on your credit file. But if it resulted in a late payment to a credit-card, phone bill, mortgage, loan then it will show on your file as a late payment for at the most two years. But unless you have loads of late payments it will only slightly affect your credit rating.
Old 22-11-2006, 10:05 AM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

How long have you been in the job Stu? Surely you would have had some charges over the years....
Old 22-11-2006, 10:12 AM
RapidRS
Regular Contributor

Received an offer from the wifes bank for £600. Did consider taking it, but after advice from Shaun at the consumer site we've filed our claim with the courts this morning. His advice is priceless and the site is extremely useful.

Oh, and yaa-boo to the doom merchants on this thread!
Old 22-11-2006, 11:38 AM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by cfoster
How long have you been in the job Stu? Surely you would have had some charges over the years....
Been in my current job six months now. But have worked in finance on off for about 5 years in total now.

Maybe one or two when I was a student thirteen years ago, but learnt my lesson then.
Old 22-11-2006, 11:46 AM
lamb chops
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by lamb chops
My question would be how the fuck did you rack £6k in charges!!!

Was that over a period of time in an account you put money into, or an account you didn't use?!?!
Yes your right 6k in charges is embarrassing amount of money, the charges were over 4 accounts over the 6 year period. My wife used to run our two joint accounts and she made a piss poor job of it basically, we would incur penalty charges each month in the region of £90 per account.

I have subsequently taken over the management of all our bank accounts and now only rarely incur charges but like others have said its not always easy when you are living each month at the end of your overdraft limit..
Old 23-11-2006, 04:02 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

just sending my prelim request for charges to be refunded , how many people actually end up having to file a claim, as I actually quite want to have to do that so I can claim the 8% interest as well

Quick Reply: Have you ever been charged by your bank????