General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Have you ever been charged by your bank????

Search this Thread

Old 20-07-2006, 07:22 PM
rob.c
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well im just waiting hsbc to get back to me as they are now 2 days late of there 14 day deadline i gave them.

another good website is www.thisismoney.co.uk, i used there template letter on there they also have a forum which other like minded people are claiming thousands back.

mine stands at about 2680 so just waiting for them to cough up
Old 21-07-2006, 08:44 AM
Damo V
PassionFord Post Whore!!

hmmm I didnt claim interest
Old 21-07-2006, 09:50 PM
deanh
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

right had my statements through again for the second time today, but no letter. mine was dated 9th July, what do i do next?

do i send them another one to say i am giving them 14 days before i file a claim with small claims court?
Old 24-07-2006, 03:47 PM
The Sludge
garibaldi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

today is my 40th day and i have not received anything from them. I have just called the bank and they said they had not received anything. They asked how many months statements i wanted and i said 5 years She said she would cal me back and find out where the letter has gone to

I then just called the Royal Mail giving confirmation that Lloyds TSB have signed for the letter.

What shall i do now?? Wait a few days or is there another letter i can send?
Old 24-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Cola
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Seriously, you s hould have a look on the consumer website people have posted the link to. Someone there WILL know.

I've just sent off my LBA after the Halifax offered me a laughable £112... I'm asking for £1500!
Old 24-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cola
Seriously, you s hould have a look on the consumer website people have posted the link to. Someone there WILL know.

I've just sent off my LBA after the Halifax offered me a laughable £112... I'm asking for £1500!

aaaaaaaaaah so someone getting somewhere with the halifax then. I still havent sent for my statements but will have a stab at it if they are cooperating
Old 25-07-2006, 08:13 AM
Cola
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well they couldn’t organise a sh*g in a wh*rehouse. First I got no statements, then I got half (all in separate envelopes – no wonder charges are so high) then got them all, again separately.

Then they took £5 from my account (their charge for the service), then cashed my cheque for £10. I called, spoke to a few morons, gave up and sent a letter.

Within three days I received four responses.

1: We’re not refunding you until your charges request has been resolved.

2: Sorry here’s a fiver.

3: Sorry here’s a tenner.

4: Sorry, here’s fifteen quid.

No matter. I have £1500s worth of fish to fry Lots of people have had good runs with Halifax. They’re one of the best apparently (well, they have to be good at summat eh!)
Old 25-07-2006, 08:41 AM
AndyH_ZS

I can't believe that you people have been charged in the thousands

Maybe i should try and get my £400 back then but i'm not holding out much hope for it.
Old 25-07-2006, 09:42 AM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Putting a different spin on all this. Everyone who got charged knew the deal when they signed up. They went overdrawn or whatever and got charged for the service (i.e. borrowing the bank's money and using it without prior agreement). Now people are asking for these charges to be refunded on the basis that the charges were too high for the amount of money lost or work caused to the bank - but you knew (or could find out) what the charges were before you spent money you didn't have!!!

Yet people like me who have managed our money in a way to avoid these charges (and there are times when that has been a struggle - crikey, some months I even had to do without things!) - are getting nothing back, despite never losing the bank any money or making them spend anything to recover what is, in effect, their own money. Meantime, my credit card has just put its interest rate up, presumably to recover the money it can't make on charges any more.

This all smacks of lots of rights and no responsibilities again.

But good luck to you all anyway - the banks deserve it, profiteering bastards!!!!
Old 25-07-2006, 09:46 AM
natehall
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

all my statements cme through in double quick time, im with the natwest

totalled it all up - and its a surprising 1042 quid, so im sending letter 2 off today!

so basicall for the interest it is 8% of 1042 quid? ie 83.36?
Old 25-07-2006, 11:06 AM
Mrs T
Super Moderator
PassionFord Gold Member (Female)
Super Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Iain Mac
Putting a different spin on all this. Everyone who got charged knew the deal when they signed up. They went overdrawn or whatever and got charged for the service (i.e. borrowing the bank's money and using it without prior agreement). Now people are asking for these charges to be refunded on the basis that the charges were too high for the amount of money lost or work caused to the bank - but you knew (or could find out) what the charges were before you spent money you didn't have!!!

Yet people like me who have managed our money in a way to avoid these charges (and there are times when that has been a struggle - crikey, some months I even had to do without things!) - are getting nothing back, despite never losing the bank any money or making them spend anything to recover what is, in effect, their own money. Meantime, my credit card has just put its interest rate up, presumably to recover the money it can't make on charges any more.

This all smacks of lots of rights and no responsibilities again.

But good luck to you all anyway - the banks deserve it, profiteering bastards!!!!
but there have been times when i have phoned them asking for help and maybe move the date a few days because i couldnt afford to pay on the day they are not interested,
Old 25-07-2006, 08:49 PM
deanh

right, still no letter from hsbc, theirs was dated 13th and i gave them 2 weeks from 9th, is it worth sending a follow up letter?
Old 25-07-2006, 09:08 PM
The Sludge
garibaldi

right i again called Lloyds tsb today. They stated i sent no letter until i gently reminded them that someone had signed for the letter. She paused and asked me how many months statements i wanted

I saaid 60 She asked if i was winding her up and i said no. She then stated that i would not be alowed that many. I then said i am as the financial services said i am and if you are contesting that then please confirm that in writing.

Next thing you know, they said they found the letter, its in a department thats been especially set up after that TV programme

She said we have been ver so busy after that but due to the delay i will get all the staments by the end of the week and i wont be charged for them
Old 26-07-2006, 11:58 AM
The Sludge
garibaldi

right then, all me statements have arrived this morning. From 6 yeas they have charged me 2747.20 from charges and interest.

2nd letter on its way to them asking for repayment

Lets see what happens now.
Old 26-07-2006, 01:29 PM
Nick_RSIFEZ
Regular Contributor

oh well gutted and i feel like a plank...

i mis calculated my charges as i was counting the ones on the statements and on the notice of charges!!!

so after the court notice went to them they have returned to me my court costs, and just under 1k, which is better than a kick in the teeth

oh well ended up squishing the motor anyway so the money's only going towards other debts now but !!! BONUS
Old 26-07-2006, 01:35 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

finally got my statement from two accounts with natwest im owed around £700 so not as much as i thought it would be

but 2nd letter is off to them today
Old 26-07-2006, 02:45 PM
M7 COS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

A few years ago one of my friends dad’s and his mates got together and wrote hundreds of cheques to each other. Each cheque was for 1p and on the back of each one they wrote “This is a direct protest at bank charges.” Granted it didn’t really achieve much but at least they did something.
Old 26-07-2006, 05:36 PM
Harris.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

My girlfriend sent a letter 2 weeks ago, they said it will be sorted by the middle of august
Old 26-07-2006, 07:43 PM
Uncle Winnett

just got a letter of hsbc and it goes like this

thank you for your letter dated 12 july 2006 requesting a refund ofall your bank chages of £xxxx going back six years .

in order that we can consider your request please provide a full itemised breakdown of these charges to include date . description ofthe chage and the amount applied. please also include any proposed new chages that you will have receeived a pre notification advice for.
thank you

any one had a letter like that and can i just send copys off my statments with all the chages just hilighted

john
Old 27-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Speedy Gonzalez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i got a letter from Halifax today offering me £591

but its way short of the £2374 i'm claiming back is there another letter i can send them saying that its way short of the amount i'm claiming?
Old 27-07-2006, 05:15 PM
rs_daz
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Uncle Winnett
just got a letter of hsbc and it goes like this

thank you for your letter dated 12 july 2006 requesting a refund ofall your bank chages of £xxxx going back six years .

in order that we can consider your request please provide a full itemised breakdown of these charges to include date . description ofthe chage and the amount applied. please also include any proposed new chages that you will have receeived a pre notification advice for.
thank you

any one had a letter like that and can i just send copys off my statments with all the chages just hilighted

john

No not had that id just highlight the charges on the statements and send it back to them with the total amount.

When i claimed I only recieved 2 letters from HSBC 2nd one was the refund of 1k
Old 28-07-2006, 09:08 PM
chewy

Sent my letter on thursday recorded deivery and I receievd a letter today saying to expect my statements soon. Wonder if some bastid has pocketed the tenner or whether they have actually charged me as no reference was made to the ten quid in the letter I received from them.

I'll keep you's posted !!
Old 01-08-2006, 08:25 AM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

i got a letter off barclays after i sent letter claiming £1500, says they will respond as soon as possible but no later than the 11th august, hopefully itll be a decent offer, or i will start proceedings to take them to court, if they dont send me an offer by then though what should i write to them?

Sarah
Old 01-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Turbo Pez

Well i got offered £453 from halifax was claiming for £1100 odd, i'm taking the offer tho cause i think 453 in better than nothing!

cheers to the geezer that started this post!!!

Pez
Old 02-08-2006, 01:37 AM
boost mad
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it works with capital one credit card
Old 03-08-2006, 09:57 PM
The Sludge
garibaldi

I have this morning recieved a reply from LLoyds Tsb. It goes like this

Dear Mr Taylor,
I am writing to let you know that we have recieved your complaint and to say that how sorry i am (so you should be ) to learn that your unhappy with us ( )

You have my assurance that one of our assistant managers ( ) will investigate the concerns you have raised with us-thismay take a little time but i would expect our enquiries to be complete within the coming two weeks. We will then be able to respond in full to your complaint and at that stage, I hope ( me too ) resolve matters between us.

In case you have not recieved a copy of our leaflet, How to voice your concerns, i have enclosed one with my letter. This tells you all you need to know about about resolving your complaint.

Yours Sincerely
Andrew Palmer
Customer Advisor

I am not quite sure to make of it to be honest with you. Do i just wiat the 2 weeks and see what happens?
Old 04-08-2006, 06:09 AM
starturbo

Gotta try this
Old 04-08-2006, 06:46 AM
~nomad~
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by the sludge
I have this morning recieved a reply from LLoyds Tsb. It goes like this

Dear Mr Taylor,
I am writing to let you know that we have recieved your complaint and to say that how sorry i am (so you should be ) to learn that your unhappy with us ( )

You have my assurance that one of our assistant managers ( ) will investigate the concerns you have raised with us-thismay take a little time but i would expect our enquiries to be complete within the coming two weeks. We will then be able to respond in full to your complaint and at that stage, I hope ( me too ) resolve matters between us.

In case you have not recieved a copy of our leaflet, How to voice your concerns, i have enclosed one with my letter. This tells you all you need to know about about resolving your complaint.

Yours Sincerely
Andrew Palmer
Customer Advisor

I am not quite sure to make of it to be honest with you. Do i just wiat the 2 weeks and see what happens?
you will get another letter shortly saying there are not going to refund them, more than likely.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:36 PM
MK5RST
Advanced PassionFord User

so where did you send your letters to? head office or local branch? pete.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:46 PM
MK5RST

asap ladies please
Old 04-08-2006, 09:13 PM
Uncle Winnett

Originally Posted by MK5RST

head office

whent to local branch didnt want to no

iwill be changeing my bank i think

john
Old 04-08-2006, 09:59 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MK5RST
alot off people send them to there local branch,mine did and have had no trouble with it

im with natwest
Old 05-08-2006, 12:31 PM
chewy

I'm with HSBC and I sent to locl branch and have started receiving statements in batches.

Also got a letter thanking me for my query and that they look forward to hearing from me soon pmsl

Justwaiting for the last lot of statements to come and then the second part of the letter is away
Old 05-08-2006, 02:08 PM
deleted
10K+ Poster!!

Location: learnin to build a yb lump properly in dennis's garage

GOT LETTER BACK AYIN MY STYAEMENTS ARE ON THE AWAY
Old 05-08-2006, 02:12 PM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i have had pure charges from the mbna on my credit card over the years-has anyone tried it with them?
Old 05-08-2006, 02:29 PM
Chavtastic

Lloyds are throwing it down with me, and have indicated they wish to contest the charges. I'm up for a fight! And I've done my homework on the legal side of things.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:49 PM
deanh

well i havent heard a thing off hsbc since the acknowledged my letter on 13th july, saying they knew i didnt want statements but were sending them anyway!!! think its about time for a follow up letter , anyone agree?
Old 07-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Chrissy_bwoy

i have had to re request my statements over the phone with hailfax
Old 08-08-2006, 03:47 PM
Mrs T
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

been offered £246 instead off £700 think i might take it not sure if i can be bothered to take it further
Old 08-08-2006, 04:16 PM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

I am still waiting on the breakdown of charges.

Apparently I need to provided a certified copy of my passport before they will release the information.

Quick Reply: Have you ever been charged by your bank????