Ford Mondeo Including ST Discuss all things about the Ford Mondeo from all models inc the ST220/200 etc in here!

Mk2 Zetec Modeo petrol. Bad smoke on cold start

Search this Thread

Old 24-11-2013, 06:23 PM
Arthersapprentice
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mk2 Zetec Modeo petrol. Bad smoke on cold start

Hi peeps,

I've got a Mk2 Mondeo Zetec petrol that has started to smoke really badly on cold starts. The smoke is white rather than blue, there is no loss of power, it starts first time and runs fine. I don't think that it's burning oil but to be honest I have not checked! The smoke normally disappears after a short while and as it is running fine I would be tempted to ignore the problem but it's belching out so much smoke it's embarrassing! When it's bad half the estate disappears!!!

Hoping that there is a cheap fix. Was wondering if it was a choke issue but seemingly there isn't one! Guessing it's not that then!

Any advise would be much appreciated.
Old 24-11-2013, 08:06 PM
mcst
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

As a rule white smoke/steam is typically headgasket related. If it was burning oil it would be blue and would be something like valve stem seals but i've seen even really tired zetecs to be smoke free.

If its white and producing that much on startup i would have a guess at it maybe being something like its leaking water into the cylinders and its burning off but you should notice it using water.
Old 24-11-2013, 08:12 PM
doctor stavros
AMG C32

Are you sure it isn't just because the weather has taken a turn for the worse and its not moisture burning off in the exhaust? my AMG has been doing it the past few days on startup.... although more like a kettle boiling than a smokescreen.....
Old 24-11-2013, 08:38 PM
Arthersapprentice
Virgin

Originally Posted by mcst
As a rule white smoke/steam is typically headgasket related. If it was burning oil it would be blue and would be something like valve stem seals but i've seen even really tired zetecs to be smoke free.

If its white and producing that much on startup i would have a guess at it maybe being something like its leaking water into the cylinders and its burning off but you should notice it using water.
Not thought to check water. Would it not smoke all the time if it was that? It's not running hot either - mind you I guess it is blooming cold so even with no water it might not overheat. I'll check it though. Thank you.
Old 24-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Arthersapprentice
Virgin

Originally Posted by doctor stavros
Are you sure it isn't just because the weather has taken a turn for the worse and its not moisture burning off in the exhaust? my AMG has been doing it the past few days on startup.... although more like a kettle boiling than a smokescreen.....
I thought that it might just be cold weather and the exhaust condensing etc but it really belches it out and it does smell too.

Is there anyway to adjust the cold start mix? Understand that there isn't a choke but is there a way to set limits on how much air is added on cold start? Could it be that it's not adjusting the mixture correctly? Still hoping of a cheap fix lol.
Old 24-11-2013, 08:55 PM
mcst

Originally Posted by Arthersapprentice
Not thought to check water. Would it not smoke all the time if it was that? It's not running hot either - mind you I guess it is blooming cold so even with no water it might not overheat. I'll check it though. Thank you.
It would improve a bit but would still smoke a little.

My first thoughts were condensation like any car but you described it as you couldn't see the street!
Old 24-11-2013, 09:47 PM
Arthersapprentice
Virgin

It would improve a bit but would still smoke a little.

My first thoughts were condensation like any car but you described it as you couldn't see the street!
Oh yeah it's bad! Enough that with the wind in the right direction it engulfs the car, most of my garden, the neghbour's cars and most of their gardens too!!! Think racing truck exhaust under full throttle but white not black! Maybe not steam train but on its way lol!!

It does have a stainless exhaust on it so does have a larger tail pipe so guess it could get more moisture in it which burns off but it does have a strong smell to it!

A friend said it might be worth chucking some injector cleaner in it, change the oil that kind of thing. Might try and get some of that Stop Smoke to see if it's man enough to do the job?! Guess they can't hurt.
Old 25-11-2013, 07:28 AM
mcst

My st24 has a full stainless but only has mild condensation. The stop smoke products will only mask a problem.

Best thing you can spend on it is to get it to a garage for them to sniff test it at least. If its the headgasket as i described earlier it will be worse until the thermostat opens as the water will only be in the engine and not round the rest of the system.
I wouldn't keep running it though until you can rule out or confirm its the headgasket.

Theres still all the basic signs to look for, water loss, mayonnaise in the breather cap etc..
Old 25-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Arthersapprentice
Virgin

My st24 has a full stainless but only has mild condensation. The stop smoke products will only mask a problem.

Best thing you can spend on it is to get it to a garage for them to sniff test it at least. If its the headgasket as i described earlier it will be worse until the thermostat opens as the water will only be in the engine and not round the rest of the system.
I wouldn't keep running it though until you can rule out or confirm its the headgasket.

Theres still all the basic signs to look for, water loss, mayonnaise in the breather cap etc..
Cheers mcst will check the water etc when I next get 5mins during daylight. Will try and get to my local garage and will let you know what they say. Thanks for your advice. Funny, got in the car tonight, cold enough that it was starting to freeze up and I don't think it did it!!! Bit harder to tell when dark but all looked good!! Certainly no big cloud although was still a bit stinky so may have done it a bit!!

Cars! Gotta luv em lol
Old 25-11-2013, 09:25 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 118 Likes on 111 Posts

Need to know if it's oil smoke or water vapour, you should be losing one or the other!

Don't waste money on miracle cures in a can, stop smoke, all that crap.

Engine is electronically controlled, there's nothing to adjust.